Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Lyon posted:

I'm here, always, lurking, waiting, hoping to feed on the souls of other forums members. Shoot me a PM and I can help provide you as much information as I can. We tend to be tied with the other top tier vendors for "most expensive" LIMS so we might be the wrong fit but I can probably point you in the right direction.

PM sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Anyone got tips on transitioning from production polymer chemist to biotech? I got process chemistry down, but I can't get any bites on my resume. I turned a 30M lb/year reactor into a 75M lb/year reactor through mechanical and chemical optimizations. How do I parlay that into a biotech gig? I'm actively looking in the RTP area and can't seem to get my foot in the door. I'd love to do my current job except on vaccine epitopes, polypeptides, or APIs.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I came so close to smashing our goddamn autostainer this morning. I'm sure that would get me fired but gently caress, that catharsis would feel amazing...

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The best equipment I ever worked with was an old Varian UV/Vis spectrometer.
All manual levers, but apparently excellent optics.
Best thing, half of the times when you put in a cuvette it got stuck at -0.1, which you fixed by giving it a slap at the side. Immensely satisfying.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That feeling when your head-honcho-big-bossman asks you about the regression for your really big, important project... when he hasn't gotten you back half the data you need to actually do the analysis :cry:

And then follows that up with starting another really big, important project... :psyduck:

And finally replies to your question of "should I do the analysis now with incomplete data or wait until it's completed to do the analysis?" with the answer of "yes please" :psypop:

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
More tales of food science:

We got an instrument that ashes a sample and measures the nitrogen given off. It operates at 1100C. This furnace is at the end of this 3 foot tube where the sample gets loaded in by a robot arm, which owns. There’s this metal door on a hinge that opens inwards where the sample is pushed through. Now, i’m being tedious for a reason. We were told to clean this instrument simply with some canned air. So. Our instrument repair guy is in doing some pm poo poo and sprays that tube, opening the door, aerosolizing some powder into the 1100C furnace causing it to loving combust. Now it’s not powerful enough to do any damage, but it’s loud enough to sound like a gunshot causing people to come running in, my poor boss to hit the ground and the instrument guy to get a hell of a ringing in his ears and almost poo poo his pants.

Unrelated, we had corporate come do some yearly training and we asked them how often they do this fat extraction they were fumbling through. “Oh, on a busy week we’ll do 6. How many do you all do?” “16. A week. Per shift... so 32 on a slow week.” “Oh...”

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So today's stupidity, our old ornery IR requires the operator to have admin rights to calibrate. Well because of the latest round of GMP idiocy they disabled the admin account the guy who calibrates uses for the calibration. The instrument group who disabled the account said they will not do the calibration. When we asked who would do it all they did was shrug.

*edit*

Talking to the boss apparently they gave it to some other guy in the group who doesn't even know how to loving do it, i'm baffled how our support team can be so incompetent.

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 31, 2018

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Can’t have bad data integrity if you never log in and generate data.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
So who here is familiar with how a vacuum oven works? If you use sulfuric acid to dry the air that is pumped in when you depressurize it, you probably shouldn’t hook the pump up backwards and pump conc sulfuric acid into the 100C oven. RiP that oven.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Phosphene posted:

So who here is familiar with how a vacuum oven works? If you use sulfuric acid to dry the air that is pumped in when you depressurize it, you probably shouldn’t hook the pump up backwards and pump conc sulfuric acid into the 100C oven. RiP that oven.

How soon did they know they goofed

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
They didn’t. It was caught by the overnight supervisor a few hours later and wasn’t even addressed until the next morning. And today when it was put under vacuum again, there was still acid in the tubes in the vacuum and now it’s full of acid again which ate through a new gasket. I’ve been cleaning this up for like 2 hours now because it splashed all over this thing and we don’t have a back up.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So apparently my new boss has been able to justify a sample management system, not a full LIMS like what we should be buying but its a step in the right direction. Is the goon who sells LIMS still around and do you sell a sample management system?

I'm amazed at how many big projects don't use a sample management solution. I'm in a university and they're forever digging old vials out of the back of a fridge, peering at a faded label before pronouncing that they're sure there are more samples somewhere but they just can't find them, dangit.

At a previous job, they did realise they had a sample management problem, with 20 experimental sites aliquoting 1000s of samples and passing them around to the other sites. One of the lab scientists understood what they were up against and found some clever system where the vials had barcodes etched into the glass that you could scan and track. The price was even low.

But no. It was decided that I (the bioinformatician) should "write something".

I didn't.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh don't you know? Writing a procedure makes EVERY PROBLEM GO AWAY.

I wrote 118 procedures last year (I'd say something stupid about 99 problems, but I'd be selling myself short) and let me tell you, there are NO PROBLEMS ANYWHERE. NONE.

Certainly none involving people not following procedures. :v:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Sundae posted:

Oh don't you know? Writing a procedure makes EVERY PROBLEM GO AWAY.

I wrote 118 procedures last year (I'd say something stupid about 99 problems, but I'd be selling myself short) and let me tell you, there are NO PROBLEMS ANYWHERE. NONE.

Certainly none involving people not following procedures. :v:

you get a sop! you get a sop! - oprah, probably

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My favorite is the log book for equipment like a centrifuge. So there's pages of me logging use with the occasional entry from someone else.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Lt_Tofu posted:

My favorite is the log book for equipment like a centrifuge. So there's pages of me logging use with the occasional entry from someone else.

We've been adding use logbooks all over to equipment lately, however no one pushing for adding them can explain to me how they would help compliance problems since nothing stops me from rerunning samples and not recording it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

We've been adding use logbooks all over to equipment lately, however no one pushing for adding them can explain to me how they would help compliance problems since nothing stops me from rerunning samples and not recording it.

Nothing stops that except firing you when they finally catch it out of their retain sample retests they'll do under the deviation investigation. Well, that and system linkage to auto-record data from instruments to LIMS, but ahahahahahaha spending money on computer systems validation ahahahahaha.

So yeah, unless poo poo hits the fan, nobody catches you. :(

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Sundae posted:

Nothing stops that except firing you when they finally catch it out of their retain sample retests they'll do under the deviation investigation. Well, that and system linkage to auto-record data from instruments to LIMS, but ahahahahahaha spending money on computer systems validation ahahahahaha.

Aren't you cGMP? Or did you move over into the R&D side in Cali?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lyon posted:

Aren't you cGMP? Or did you move over into the R&D side in Cali?

I'm kind of half and half. Phase I GMP and pre-clinical development, which means that I spend a lot of my job explaining to formulators that no, they can't reconfigure my GMP equipment or run APIs through it that I don't have recovery methods for. :v:

(Also, that re-test example was from my last place.)

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sundae posted:

LIMS? do you think a cheap skate CRO would spend money on a LIMS? Management already spends too much on analytical!

On a more serious note, in a lab that was properly funded your observation would make more sense. Since my employer is cheap and rather live in the loving 90s we have a paper system for recording results. if someone got a lovely result on an analysis they could not report it on the reporting page and not put it in the logbook, no one would know. A lot of the systems they are slapping the books next to are old as poo poo and don't have databases or sample counters to compare against so the logbook is just a"Look I'm helping" approach to GMP which is cheap and ineffective.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Reminder that when you're all in positions of authority, due to the SA Forums Treaty of 2012, you are beholden to buy a LIMS from me.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Lyon posted:

Reminder that when you're all in positions of authority, due to the SA Forums Treaty of 2012, you are beholden to buy a LIMS from me.

When I convince my boss to quit and open a lab with me I'll call you up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That feeling when a PI requests more than 20 times the amount of tissue required for an experiment :psyduck:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

That feeling when a PI requests more than 20 times the amount of tissue required for an experiment :psyduck:

What, the grad students are going to ruin half of it anyway so...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That Works posted:

What, the grad students are going to ruin half of it anyway so...

Told them that 6x is the most they will get from us, and they said "well I guess we can accept that..."

Yeah motherfucker, unless you want less tissue you'll accept it! :smuggo:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Johnny Truant posted:

Told them that 6x is the most they will get from us, and they said "well I guess we can accept that..."

Yeah motherfucker, unless you want less tissue you'll accept it! :smuggo:
Behold the power of anchoring. That PI just got 6x what they needed.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

anybody have any experience with xraying fixed tissue?

i only ask because a friend flew with some brain sections, and now they seem to almost be repelled from our superfrost+ slides and they took like 10 times longer to mount than they should have and it was a struggle the entire time. I know you can use microwaves to fix tissue, and was wondering if an Xray would change something about them? Or it could have been the pressure of the plane... i dunno. It's just strange.

Staining turned out awesome though so whatever happened to them didn't ruin them at least.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Phosphene posted:

We restarted a pc today and no one we could reach knew the password to get back into the computer so we couldn't use that instrument today. How does this happen.

This is actually really common. Can't tell you how many hours I've spent waiting around in various labs waiting for someone to find a password or a software license. Easily hundreds of hours.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ascii genitals posted:

This is actually really common. Can't tell you how many hours I've spent waiting around in various labs waiting for someone to find a password or a software license. Easily hundreds of hours.

I feel like with computers in a lab being a thing for 30 years you would think that by now we would have solved these problems

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my lab has solved this by printing a label with the password and sticking it to the monitor

security theater!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I feel like with computers in a lab being a thing for 30 years you would think that by now we would have solved these problems
A thinkpad with a sticky note on the monitor:

username: WhoIsJohnGalt
Password: RonPau1

edit: ^^ goddamnit.

The concept goes back more than 30 years. In the 1970s Kary Mullis discovered some prick chemist had put a wooden box and padlock on Berkeley's NMR machine and demanded everyone ask him for permission to use it, so he put his own padlock on it. At a lab meeting they compromised that everyone who needed to use the machine would get a key, so Kary hung his key up on a nail behind the machine.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 20, 2018

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

At least the software I support considers the instrument to be a big ol dongle and doesn't have a required license.

Still have to pay for the software even if you spend half a million on the hardware though!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
(I know that this is actually a pretty substantial technical challenge, but still...)

Sundae: I'd like to get a quote on a 24mm hot melt extruder with 50 nanogram/m3 containment on the infeed and pelletizer outfeed.
Vendor: That'll be $489,000, please.
Sundae: Your quote only lists the main unit. Did you include the containment?
Vendor: Whoops, my bad. If you want it to not kill the operator, it'll be $986,000.
Sundae: You marked it as 50 microgram. Is that a typo?
Vendor: Oh, we figured yours was the typo. Make that $1.8mm.

:suicide:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

crabrock posted:

my lab has solved this by printing a label

whoa there mr postdoc

Gobbeldygook posted:

A thinkpad with a sticky note on the monitor:

as GMP intended.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ascii genitals posted:

At least the software I support considers the instrument to be a big ol dongle and doesn't have a required license.

Still have to pay for the software even if you spend half a million on the hardware though!

One of the things that has made me laugh is that for about four years we have had empower 3 licenses that we are paying for but the system still has not been set up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

RadioPassive posted:

whoa there mr postdoc

as GMP intended.

Yup, sticky notes on every monitor in every lab.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Yup, sticky notes on every monitor in every lab.

We have the decency to write them on the monitor or glass cabinet above it.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Sundae posted:

(I know that this is actually a pretty substantial technical challenge, but still...)

Sundae: I'd like to get a quote on a 24mm hot melt extruder with 50 nanogram/m3 containment on the infeed and pelletizer outfeed.
Vendor: That'll be $489,000, please.
Sundae: Your quote only lists the main unit. Did you include the containment?
Vendor: Whoops, my bad. If you want it to not kill the operator, it'll be $986,000.

I smell a half million dollar savings for only requiring one operator death per run. Upper management will be quite pleased with your innovative cost savings technique.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Shrieking Muppet posted:

One of the things that has made me laugh is that for about four years we have had empower 3 licenses that we are paying for but the system still has not been set up.

Waters is making loving bank on Empower upgrades. They have a huge chunk of the regulated market.

It blows my mind how bad most CDS are.. Empower is the gold standard for "compliant" software and it is a hideous pain.

The best is dealing with the bizarre quirks of blended systems, if you run an Agilent GC with Empower there are instrument drivers available from both Agilent and Empower. I heard something the other day about dual tower simultaneous injection working in one driver but not the other. Sigh.. Multivendor stuff is the worst.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ascii genitals posted:

Waters is making loving bank on Empower upgrades. They have a huge chunk of the regulated market.

It blows my mind how bad most CDS are.. Empower is the gold standard for "compliant" software and it is a hideous pain.

The best is dealing with the bizarre quirks of blended systems, if you run an Agilent GC with Empower there are instrument drivers available from both Agilent and Empower. I heard something the other day about dual tower simultaneous injection working in one driver but not the other. Sigh.. Multivendor stuff is the worst.

Although most compliant software blows empower is atleast designed for it from the ground up, the band aid fixes you add to existing software from other manufactures are loving garbage tier.