Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

The game was poised to make an absolute killing, too. People routinely pay absurd money for the old sculpts, the game is solid, and all the work has been done.

They just needed to step in, connect the dots, and make a million dollars. Instead they somehow managed not to, against all odds.

I was hoping they'd pull the plug and relaunch fresh and fixed, but it didn't happen.

Very high buy in with two copies of something most people wouldn't want, I don't think they put out any pictures/renders/or even clarified the material, they aren't actually making a physical version of the old rules (and the new rules are "coming soon"), the company is new to miniatures creation, the responses in the comments weren't great, etc etc.

Basically it was their ball to drop, and dropped it they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Paradox Board Games is now a thing, and they're kicking things off with a Crusader Kings KS.

Surprised this isn't already funded even though it launched in the middle of the night in US time.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 19, 2018

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Paradox Board Games is now a thing, and they're kicking things off with a Crusader Kings KS.

Surprised this isn't already funded even though it launched in the the middle of the night in US time.

My god. They're reverting to type.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Surprised this isn't already funded even though it launched in the middle of the night in US time.

Europa Universalis the video game was created because Europa Universalis the board game was bloated with mechanics to the point that the game was nearly unplayable. Letting the computer handle all the bookkeeping made Paradox games much more enjoyable, but it came at a cost. They never learned how to cut and simplify. Every patch and fix usually involves adding mechanics instead of subtracting them. That's worked out very well for their video games. But board games are a different matter.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The Confrontation Kickstarter is somehow having even more drama now. Apparently they're currently trying to extort/harass another minis game, Legends of Signum, for supposedly ripping off the designs (despite both of them being the most generic rear end fantasy possible). They were able to get the LoS Kickstater temporarily suspended while KS investigates. I'd kinda feel bad for Legends of Signum, except this was how they were advertising the game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

i also like to intimidate my foes by feeling myself up in battle

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Look sometimes your battle bikini needs to be adjusted okay

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

i also like to intimidate my foes by feeling myself up in battle

To be fair, I wouldn't be expecting it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't be expecting it.

yea man woman or whatever if I was some random Orc and my enemy just started going to town on themselves I'd be way too uncomfortable to keep fighting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Me not that kind of Orc."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Actually it was quite common in a place I made up during a time that sounds plausible that warriors traditionally self-groped before battle, so that when enemies accidentally groped then in a grand melee, they were so accustomed to it that they could continue fighting without distraction.

This is what facts must be like!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Actually it was quite common in a place I made up during a time that sounds plausible that warriors traditionally self-groped before battle, so that when enemies accidentally groped then in a grand melee, they were so accustomed to it that they could continue fighting without distraction.

This is what facts must be like!

Lol at the thought of some chaotic battlefield scrimmage going on and some viking rearing back. "WOAH hands above the belt, superfreak!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bieeanshee posted:

"Me not that kind of Orc."

"Me am in loving, comitted relationship. Me have two kids. Me maruader to out them through college so they no need to maruad like dad"

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/isthatmattdoyle/status/926179951497400320

Can always be worse.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not really seeing the problem with a pinup-style display piece? Unless all the used in game combat women figures are sculpted the same, then it's a pretty prudish objection

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Not really seeing the problem with a pinup-style display piece? Unless all the used in game combat women figures are sculpted the same, then it's a pretty prudish objection

Yeah nothing wrong with using the imagery of overly sexualized and objectifying women to sell a commercial product. It's prudish to object to treatment women often find off-putting, in an industry that has serious problems with the way it treats and regards its female members and women in general.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Is it really time to talk about Kingdom Death again? So soon?

I do hope this game eventually copies KD's lead and adds male pinups to quash accusations of sexism and has its fanbase violently schism between "finally!" and "ugh!"

Mainly because watching super homophobic manboys trying to explain why scantily-clad titty models are ~*art*~ but chiseled men thrusting their hips out are vulgar was very funny.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

HazCat posted:

I do hope this game eventually copies KD's lead and adds male pinups to quash accusations of sexism and has its fanbase violently schism between "finally!" and "ugh!"

Mainly because watching super homophobic manboys trying to explain why scantily-clad titty models are ~*art*~ but chiseled men thrusting their hips out are vulgar was very funny.

I mean, the Fabulous Custodes were just on Indiegogo and made off with almost $60,000. :v:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I mean, the Fabulous Custodes were just on Indiegogo and made off with almost $60,000. :v:

Yeah but that was people willingly choosing to purchase hilarious parody models.

The KD thing is horrible nerds being forced to buy models that offend them, and not being able to openly articulate why they're unhappy about it because they spent the past X years arguing that no one could complain about the female pinups because they would totally be fine with male pinups.

It's not funny unless nerds are crying impotently about it :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah nothing wrong with using the imagery of overly sexualized and objectifying women to sell a commercial product. It's prudish to object to treatment women often find off-putting, in an industry that has serious problems with the way it treats and regards its female members and women in general.

Yes, it is prudish to object to artistic pieces done in a pin up style for no other reason, and accusing the art style of being the problem is akin to telling women to dress more conservatively if they want to be taken seriously.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 20, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

and accusing the art style of being the problem is akin to telling women to dress more conservatively if they want to be taken seriously.

lol

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope those guys can get their kickstarter up and running, the Confrontation people are assholes.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, it is prudish to object to artistic pieces done in a pin up style for no other reason, and accusing the art of being the problem is akin to telling women to dress more conservatively if they want to be taken seriously.

Hrm yes criticising a person for the way they render an imaginary woman is identical to criticising an actual woman for a choice she herself made about her own presentation.

Real actual women have the same amount of agency as imaginary ones. But people who are okay with objectifying women definitely don't internalise anything problematic from it.

Oh, wait.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, it is prudish to object to artistic pieces done in a pin up style for no other reason, and accusing the art style of being the problem is akin to telling women to dress more conservatively if they want to be taken seriously.

This is it, today's hottest take.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well the problem is the artist/s and the person that decided it was a good idea to use that art style

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HazCat posted:

Are there any archives of this? Because this sounds amazing. I kind of want to hear the full story of this with pictures.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

NTRabbit posted:

:eyepop:

You forgot the companion argument about how the big beefy conan's are almost naked too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

didn't we just have this hilariously lovely derail like a week ago

or was that in one of the other bg threads

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If all the playing pieces were aggressive armoured soldiermans versus pinup tactical heel women then sure, that's a problem, but near as I can tell - and the KS page is gone so I can't see what else they had - this is a single display sculpt, which is essentially a tiny statue, and not intended to be a game piece. Whether you like or loathe the pin up art style, there's nothing actually wrong with that, and attacking it for being a pin up is in the same general vicinity as criticising classical statues for sinful nudity.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 20, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I certainly agree that there's this kinda weird Woke Nerd thing where people learn about male gaze and objectification but kinda go off rails with it and become hyper critical of any artistic depiction of a fictional woman, breaking out the calipers and slide rules to decide if the tiny plastic lady's shirt is too low-cut in a way that's kinda creepy, imo.

But in this case, it's a topless lady squeezing her own boob. Like, I think it's safe to look at an image of a lady with her boobs out bending over and giving herself a good squeeze and think, this is designed to arouse people who are attracted to women.

Maybe it's explained in context, like she's part of an army of tantric wizards and she has to be aroused to cast spells. Which would be fine and normal.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

HazCat posted:

Hrm yes criticising a person for the way they render an imaginary woman is identical to criticising an actual woman for a choice she herself made about her own presentation.

Real actual women have the same amount of agency as imaginary ones. But people who are okay with objectifying women definitely don't internalise anything problematic from it.

Oh, wait.

but what if the sculptor is a woman?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

That's some 90s comics level broken spine to get the rear end and tits towards the camera.

Unironically defending it is a official hottake despite any opinions on if woke gone too far.

CONTENT.

There is a delightful book/game thing called Journal 29. Journal 29: Interactive Book Game https://www.amazon.com/dp/1635871727/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R1BaBb909VRP2

It requires lateral thinking, a pencil and paper, your phone for things including a calculator and imputing the answers on a website and getting clues back and more. I play with my wife usually at the bar and we solve a few puzzles til we get stuck or melt our brains. It's full of the Eureka moments you get when you solve puzzles. Every puzzle is unique. It's pretty impressive. It's also real cheap, buy it.

Well theres a sequel coming, and its kickable!!!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-ludibooster/journal-29-revelation-interactive-book-game/rewards
Its events take place after the first book but it is stand alone. You can get the first book in the kickstarter but it's cheap already on Amazon and you probably want the content spread out.

Also, disclaimer, with the kickstarter and shipping price it's a good chance that it will be cheaper to just get on Amazon after release. Why am I posting then? Because the first one is awesome and you can get it RIGHT now and i want more people to learn about this awesome game. I'm backing to support the creators, but that's just me. Drop $16 on the first book its worth it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HazCat posted:

its too bad that there was still all the rape imagery

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Women can by misogynists too, and they can work in ways that are harmful to women. Poor people vote Republican.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Subjunctive posted:

Women can by misogynists too, and they can work in ways that are harmful to women. Poor people vote Republican.

I'm sure all the pin up artists and burlesque performers will be happy to know that men are willing to step in and make the proper and correct decision for them when they fail to comply with the proper rules of deportment for a lady and get it wrong.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 20, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NTRabbit posted:

I'm sure all the pin up artists and burlesque performers will be happy to know that men are willing to step in and make the proper and correct decision for them when they get it wrong.

Precisely what I said, and the context in which I said it. Excellent reading comprehension.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

I'm sure all the pin up artists and burlesque performers will be happy to know that men are willing to step in and make the proper and correct decision for them when they fail to comply with the proper rules of deportment for a lady and get it wrong.

By all means, please keep digging down instead of up in your breathless defense of *scrolls up* a miniature of a chainmail bikini babe groping her own chest.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Covok posted:

Are there any archives of this? Because this sounds amazing. I kind of want to hear the full story of this with pictures.

I only followed the KS, so my references are all to the comment section (which still technically exists as an archive, but good luck digging through the multiple thousands of comments for the good stuff).

You could try searching Warseer or BGG for KD threads made around the start of the Kickstarter, but I don't have any good links, unfortunately.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Then the model is suddenly imbued with the ability to make its own decisions about how it is clothed and becomes an example of a Strong Woman Choosing To Defy Stereotypes that men on the internet can use to justify why all scantily-clad titty minis are actually extremely progressive and good.

:ms:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Subjunctive posted:

Precisely what I said, and the context in which I said it. Excellent reading comprehension.

Exactly, you live in a sex-negative culture where all depictions of the female body need to be covered and proper, and women need to understand how sinful it is to deviate from the norm, because sex-positive depictions of women in art are responsible for further driving horny nerds into misogyny, therefore the art must stop, rather than fixing your broken rear end conservative society that is the root of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NTRabbit posted:

Exactly, you live in a sex-negative culture where all depictions of the female body need to be covered and proper, and women need to understand how sinful it is to deviate from the norm, because sex-positive depictions of women in art are responsible for further driving horny nerds into misogyny, therefore the art must stop, rather than fixing your broken rear end conservative society.

Do you believe that the sculpt in question is sex-positive? What does that adjective mean to you?