Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

starkebn posted:

poo poo, that's why that's used

I’ve never seen that character before in my life. Where is it used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ariong posted:

I’ve never seen that character before in my life. Where is it used?

Ye olde english (?), and also a lot in German.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Scheiße

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DAS IST NEIN!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not written with the ß much anymore, but the name (and also just word, it means white) Weiss/Weisz is a common one you'll see that has it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the song title "people like Frank" by Amon Tobin is a line from blue velvet. Tobin must be a Lynch fan, because the title "like regular chickens" is a line from Eraserhead that is sampled in the song

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

is a dick joke

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

See also: Fractured But Whole

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

JoelJoel posted:

See also: Fractured But Whole

Nah, that’s a butt joke, not a dick joke

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You're blowing my mind.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

numerrik posted:

Nah, that’s a butt joke, not a dick joke

What do you think fractured it

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

purple death ray posted:

What do you think fractured it

I always thought it was a two part joke. Fractured butt for a buttcrack and butt hole, though I guess a dick could wreck an rear end in a top hat, but fractured? It’s not a bone. Oh well

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The younger men in Mythbusters (Grant and that annoying white guy) are pushing fifty. They were around 40 when the show was a big thing. Kari's a few years younger.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chillbro Baggins posted:

The younger men in Mythbusters (Grant and that annoying white guy) are pushing fifty. They were around 40 when the show was a big thing. Kari's a few years younger.

Yeah Grant and Tory were both born in 1970, they're only 3 years younger than Adam Savage. Jamie on the other hand is 61, he's 11 years older than Adam.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jamie always looked old, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You can twist ice cube trays to dislodge most, if not all, of the ice cubes at once, fresh out of the freezer.

In my defense, both the house I grew up in and all of my apartments before our new house had ice dispensers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, hold on. Wait. Wait.

How did you remove cubes before?

Your answer determines whether or not this supercedes your hot dog difficulty saga.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Some ice cube trays are just a really stiff plastic. I split one in half trying to twist it so can see why not everyone would immediately jump to that idea.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No, hold on. Wait. Wait.

How did you remove cubes before?

I'd just lightly drop the tray on the counter instead of placing it down gently. The amount of times (in my entire life) I've used ice cube trays was a total of three times, and on the third time my partner goes "you don't have to drop it, just twist it".

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:48 on May 20, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Before silicone ice cube trays became cheap and readily available, the local hard plastic ice cube tray shop made a loving mint every Summer.

e: Thanks, thread*, for reminding me my Summer vacation starts in 1½ weeks and I do not currently own an ice cube tray!

*) Thrankds

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

MisterBibs posted:

I'd just lightly drop the tray on the counter instead of placing it down gently. The amount of times (in my entire life) I've used ice cube trays was a total of three times, and on the third time my partner goes "you don't have to drop it, just twist it".

It seems weird to me that you've always had an icemaker. I was a teenager before my parents got their first fridge with an icemaker, and I don't remember a lot of my friends having fridges with them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Water, water, what hast thou donst?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Leavemywife posted:

It seems weird to me that you've always had an icemaker. I was a teenager before my parents got their first fridge with an icemaker, and I don't remember a lot of my friends having fridges with them.

Maybe they didn't have an icemaker, they just didn't need ice cubes?

e. no they did always have an icemaker. It's really weird to me that anyone has an icemaker, are they common in America?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Icemakers are common in the US, yes. Especially for people on the "up-and-up." It's viewed informally as a "rich person" thing, so poor people gotta have it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
For clarification, I don't mean a standalone ice maker, I mean that every fridge I've had before this one has had one built into the door.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Only the very most bougie people in Australia have an icemaker of any kind

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a freezer. Why would i need an icemaker?

Edit: Oh to show of wealth! Yeah duh!

Edit2: I just checked and i don't have any wealth. Guess i'm sticking with my freezer.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah Grant and Tory were both born in 1970, they're only 3 years younger than Adam Savage. Jamie on the other hand is 61, he's 11 years older than Adam.

Tory was also the only one from the presenters with the sufficient stuntman training and insurance policies to be allowed to do any of the actually dangerous stuff. That is also why B-team got large amounts of screentime with action-based things, while Adam and Jamie focused on more sciency myths.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bogan Krkic posted:

Only the very most bougie people in Australia have an icemaker of any kind

I have an icemaker in my fridge that doesn't work - the fridge came from my wife's parents when they remodelled their house and it no longer fit in the fridgehole.

It doesn't work because I looked at how much work it was going to be to hook it up to a water supply and went "gently caress this I'll just fill the cube trays".

So confirmed that icemakers are for bougie Australians, because my wife's parents are bougie as gently caress without thinking they are in the archetypal Australian way.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Our Aussie freezer has ice trays built in the freezer and you turn a dial to dump the cubes out into a tray below. It works pretty well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shai-Hulud posted:

I have a freezer. Why would i need an icemaker?

Edit: Oh to show of wealth! Yeah duh!

Edit2: I just checked and i don't have any wealth. Guess i'm sticking with my freezer.

To show off wealth? An ice maker add on to the freezer section is easily under $100. My parents, who were far from rich when I was growing up, had one as long as I can remember (70s-80s).

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-IceMaker-Kit-ECKMFEZ2-Connect/dp/B00R8AEL9Q/

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

as someone who lived in apartments that had fridges without ice dispensers for years and recently moved into a new place that has one, ice dispensers fuckin own

I'm gonna fill all of your ice trays with hot dog water, plebs

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

To show off wealth? An ice maker add on to the freezer section is easily under $100. My parents, who were far from rich when I was growing up, had one as long as I can remember (70s-80s).

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-IceMaker-Kit-ECKMFEZ2-Connect/dp/B00R8AEL9Q/

That's the one (or a similar one) that I've got. I think they were talking about the fridge/freezers with water and ice dispenser on the door, which are considerably more expensive.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

om nom nom posted:

That's the one (or a similar one) that I've got. I think they were talking about the fridge/freezers with water and ice dispenser on the door, which are considerably more expensive.

Maybe one upon a time, but an ice dispenser on a fridge is pretty much like a backup camera on a car. It used to be some amazing fancy whatever thing, but if you get a new one nowadays you almost certainly are going to have that included.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah Jeez. We’ve had ice & water in the door for like 20 years, even back when we had no money. That’s America. Of course, we also have regular school shootings, so I guess it evens out in the wash.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Last time I went shopping for a fridge it was really hard to find one that didn't come with an ice maker. Like, Lowe's and Home Depot only stocked fridges that came with ice makers and it was really annoying because I didn't want to give up fridge space for something I'm not going to use because ice trays in the freezer are perfectly sufficient

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I don't even use ice :shrug:
The fridge keeps everything cold, and I drink my scotch neat.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Neat is for table-side magicians. I drink my scotch fuckin’ kickass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

om nom nom posted:

If there isn't an ice dispenser in the door, there's often still an ice maker in the freezer compartment.

Water and ice in the door is just convenient and nice to have. Plus there's a filter so the water tastes cleaner. I like our regular water, but most others in my house like the water in the door.

Also, I put strange things behind the ice trap door to irritate my wife. Kids toys, rocks, etc. It never fails to amuse me.