Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also, honestly, I kind of feel like Dopinder and Peter can't really exist in the same movie? Like, that's basically the exact same joke played in two different ways, to the point where the movie even practically calls it out.

The entire point of Peter was that they passed over Dopinder to let someone on the team that was even more of a nobody than he was. His big moment at the end is pointless if they let him join in on the action before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

The entire point of Peter was that they passed over Dopinder to let someone on the team that was even more of a nobody than he was. His big moment at the end is pointless if they let him join in on the action before that.

But... at the same time, you have two characters where the central joke they're built around is "this dude is a nobody who bumblefucked into Deadpool's circle," and it's a little odd. Like, I get what you're saying, I just still don't feel like it 100% worked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dopinder loving owns. I don’t want him on the team because he will die horribly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Dopinder loving owns. I don’t want him on the team because he will die horribly.

I don't want him to necessarily become a part of the team, I just don't really like him being the team's butt-monkey. TJ Miller being the source of most of his abuse is also probably a lot of why it felt uncomfortable to me.

Like, a lot of why I didn't gripe about this with the first movie is, he wasn't really just used as a punching bag the way he seemed to be here. He even had his own weird-rear end story running in the background parallel to DP's, whereas here he's... basically their Krillin.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Peter is what would happen if Dopinder was allowed on the team.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This was probably my favorite X-Men movie ever, next to First Class and Future Past but DP2 was on a whole other level than those two.

I enjoyed the first Pool but this one blew that one out of the water. Cable was awesome and Domino was perfect.

I didn't think there was more they could do to slam Deadpool's first appearance in Wolverine or Green Lantern and I was totally wrong. I didn't factor in that DP could legit break the 4th wall and slide between movies in order to wipe that proverbial slate clean.

Legit disappointed the after credit stinger with Wade choking baby Hitler didn't make it in, if it Infact was a real scene they were thinking of including they should have stuck with it.

And they can bring back Shatterstar right? Right? Loved how he looked the coolest doing the parachute jump next to Peter, of course. Well...until the helicopter blades that is.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 20, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Loved how his stupidly impractical hair blew in his face

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

davidspackage posted:

Loved how his stupidly impractical hair blew in his face

And his pointless double katanas.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

whatever7 posted:

During the 3rd act, I really thought Cable was going to use his one shot of time travel going back to beginning of the film to save Vanessa, to repay Deadpool saving his family. Unlimited time travel change things too much.

Yeah, I was sure that was going to be the final twist. It would have been hilarious if Cable showed up, wasted the Russian gangster, and proceeded to follow Deadpool around for an entire 3rd movie with Deadpool having no idea why because the timeline where they originally met got averted.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Domino is lucky, alright. Her stunt double was killed on set!

Also is she supposed to have vitiligo?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
imagine dying because of loving deadpool 2
jfc
rip sj

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

that was facepaint wasnt it? i dont recall it being on her face in earlier scenes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Blind Sally posted:

that was facepaint wasnt it? i dont recall it being on her face in earlier scenes.

That eye is a different color, too, which is a sign of vitiligo. And "black skin turning white" seems like Rob Liefeld's idea of good luck, TBH

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Turns out the other mystery redneck is Matt Damon.
Some other interesting stuff in there, too.
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/deadpo...content=link_ad

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

10 Beers posted:

Turns out the other mystery redneck is Matt Damon.
Some other interesting stuff in there, too.
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/deadpo...content=link_ad

Matt Damon is going to do cameo in every Marvel movie until Kevin Feige cast him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Matt Damon is going to do cameo in every Marvel movie until Kevin Feige cast him.

Damon's going to end up being Ben Grimm whenever they get the Fantastic Four right back. Which would be cool if it does happen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That eye is a different color, too, which is a sign of vitiligo. And "black skin turning white" seems like Rob Liefeld's idea of good luck, TBH

forgot about her eye

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

She's not even black in the comics, so don't put that on Liefeld's shoulders. Liefeld is actually a lot more progressive, at least nowadays, than he gets credit for; there was a big stink about him being angry Shatterstar got revealed as gay, but this was, in fact, because he meant for Shatterstar to be an asexual dude.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, just because he creates racist characters doesn't mean Liefeld himself is racist.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

When watching it again I took note at the redneck scene and when looking for him, yes, the one that looks like Alan Tudyk is Alan Tudyk, I might have got confused because I got the impression he was on the left talking about anal sanitation, but not in a million years could I see Matt Damon behind all that. Though I think you can tell that's a fake gut.

Young Freud posted:

Damon's going to end up being Ben Grimm whenever they get the Fantastic Four right back. Which would be cool if it does happen.

Is that fan casting, or something that might happen depending on how the deal goes?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4400&p=.htm

'Deadpool 2' Launches with Over $300 Million Worldwide

$125 million domestic, second biggest R opening behind Deadpool 1 at $132 million.

Real test comes next week when Solo opens, a movie that looks okay but I don't care to see.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah, just because he creates racist characters doesn't mean Liefeld himself is racist.

I got kind of mad at this post until I got the joke lol

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Straight White Shark posted:

am i getting whooshed here

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

am i getting whooshed here

Cable

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

loving hell

e: honestly, the more I think about this movie, it's really, really weird because... most of the big jokes didn't really land for me (I pretty much laughed only at random quips and... Domino in general) but most of the emotional moments hit me like a ton of bricks and the action was some of my favorite in a recent movie. like, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this movie would have been better if it would have just stopped trying to be funny most of the time.

i think it's really just a case where action and drama are in Leitch's wheelhouse, and comedy kinda isn't. i dunno.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 21, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am really greatful for the Deadpool crew doing such a great job with the charactersz. Colossus is completely realized with personality and looks amazing visually, Negasonic and Yukio are great, Brolin made an amazing Cable, Domino was better than I ever expected and Zazzie played it with charm, and Juggernaut was well done if not optimally impressive. Dopinder and Morena Baccarin bring a great deal to the movie and am glad they keep her. The cameos are also great.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I don't think I've seen this in here, sorry if I missed it:

https://twitter.com/rainbowslinky/status/996491302945611778?s=19

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like the 2 year Anniversary Blu Ray.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This was fun. A bit too tryhard in and flabbier compared to the first one, but still quite good.

No regrets spending the cash to go see this on the big screen.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just saw the movie, loved it, really hope Disney lets these characters and this franchise continue to exist.

Best Newcomer: Domino and Firefist tie for this one, both were great characters with great actors. I genuinely feel like either one of them could lead a spin-off movie if given the chance.

Best returning character: Colossus, giant straight edge metal boy scout continues to be the heart of the these films.

My biggest disappointment: I wish we could have seen more of Negasonic and Yukio, I liked them both. I guess this is just what happens when you have a cast with so many characters.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 21, 2018

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

She's supposed to be some kind of weird super monochrome not-albino, as she is the result of yet another secret government Weapon X style program to create super-soldiers, using some kind of pre-cognitive mutant as the original gene template.

Here she is on the left, with her sister on the right and mother above:

Some panels from the last year or so:

For comparison, consider this cover from 2003:

Now for comedy and comparison, this beautiful page from 1994, with Cable! Its a two-for-one!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just got back from the theater. As someone who didn't keep tabs on previews Juggernaut's appearance was a pleasant surprise and had me howling when Deadpool's fanboyism turned into agony when he got torn in half.

Loved all the Liefield jabs, too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that fan casting, or something that might happen depending on how the deal goes?

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's just fan-casting. My fan-casting.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yikes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deadpool’s on FX now, and they said gently caress and poo poo. But then it changes another line from “gently caress up worse guys” to “‘mess up”.

So odd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CelticPredator posted:

Deadpool’s on FX now, and they said gently caress and poo poo. But then it changes another line from “gently caress up worse guys” to “‘mess up”.

So odd.

There is probably some arbitrary "fucks per minute/hour" guideline they have to stick to. Like with Breaking Bad they were contractually allowed to have one gently caress per season or something like that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I thought the jokes in this one were worse than the original but everything else was significantly improved so :shrug:

After Baccarin's character showed up after dying once I figured they were gonna turn her into a twist on lady Death to bridge the comics to the movie, but I'll be happy if she's just alive again after the credits. I was initially annoyed they killed her off early into the film but her continued existence as a character was a little better, still kind of lazy though.

Only having mid-credit stingers and no true after-credit stinger was a good gag, I had multiple people loudly bitch about waiting for nothing at my showing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Only having mid-credit stingers and no true after-credit stinger was a good gag, I had multiple people loudly bitch about waiting for nothing at my showing.

No, that's good. The manager of the theater came in and straight-up told us that there was no after-credits stinger I'm guess because we've all become so accustomed to it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

loving hell

e: honestly, the more I think about this movie, it's really, really weird because... most of the big jokes didn't really land for me (I pretty much laughed only at random quips and... Domino in general) but most of the emotional moments hit me like a ton of bricks and the action was some of my favorite in a recent movie. like, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this movie would have been better if it would have just stopped trying to be funny most of the time.

i think it's really just a case where action and drama are in Leitch's wheelhouse, and comedy kinda isn't. i dunno.

You sort of acknowledge this, but that's totally just you. The big jokes very much landed for most of the people who saw the movie, so it's not really case of Leitch being bad at comedy, as much as his style just not jiving with you.

I think you said you didn't find the X-force death scene funny, and I think most people are calling it the best scene in the movie. In the 100% packed theater I saw it in everyone was laughing harder than I've heard in a long time. It seems that the general consensus of this thread as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

So odd.

There's a set limit to how many fucks can be said on TV. Don't ask me why or who decides what the right amount of fucks is, we all just have to accept it.

• Locked thread