Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I can't get Directvnow.com to work in a web browser. With adblocker disabled, cache cleared, dtv sends me to an att.com site to login which I do, but then I get a never-ending loop of dtv and att redirecting back and forth.

It is working fine on my phone and atv though.

edit: cleared cookies for directv/now, att, inq, and quickplay. Now it works.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

phosdex posted:

I can't get Directvnow.com to work in a web browser. With adblocker disabled, cache cleared, dtv sends me to an att.com site to login which I do, but then I get a never-ending loop of dtv and att redirecting back and forth.

It is working fine on my phone and atv though.

This happened to me when I had uBlock origin running, but you said it's not. I'm not sure what to tell you. Try a different browser?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Matt Zerella posted:

Does the guide roll around to the beginning yet? If it doesn't then its still garbage.

It did in the DVR beta. My normal fire stick dtvnow app hasn't updated yet though, so can't say if that UI change made it into the new version. I really hope it did because that was a major annoyance for me too with the normal app.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Did anyone else have their Youtube app removed from their Roku? When I go to reinstall it I get an FBI warning and a message that Roku removed it for copyright infringements.

edit: never mind, Roku answered on Reddit

"We are aware of a technical glitch affecting YouTube and Netflix channels. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have the issue resolved shortly."

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 16, 2018

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dang so I'm recording the hockey game on dtv and it's in either a lower res or bit rate and not in 60fps. Yttv wins here.

edit: ok so I chatted with DTV Now about the dvr issue and supposedly they are going to issue me a $10 credit.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 16, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nm I’m dumb

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 16, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The fx now android app updated and now I can't figure out how to get the Simpsons to play in 4:3.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m gonna place a dollar on ‘you cant’.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ATT/DirecTV is releasing another streaming service for some reason. It appears this will be the same as the regular DirecTV satellite lineup but online instead and requires a company-provided streaming box.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Launching-New-Streaming-Version-of-DirecTV-141840

They also plan to have 5 competing online streaming TV services by 2019 :psyduck:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Would that let them give customers a workaround for networks that have stuff that can't be streamed? Like I notice Animal Planet gives me messages that I can't stream a "live" show once in awhile on DTV Now. Or PBS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

phosdex posted:

Would that let them give customers a workaround for networks that have stuff that can't be streamed? Like I notice Animal Planet gives me messages that I can't stream a "live" show once in awhile on DTV Now. Or PBS.

Is that using a device like an AppleTV or FireTV that’s typically connected to a television? There are some weird issues in regards to streaming rights for certain shows/channels where a provider can stream to a portable device or computer, but not to a device hooked up to a television. It’s weird, but I think it’s an artifact of old business models.

FCKGW posted:

ATT/DirecTV is releasing another streaming service for some reason. It appears this will be the same as the regular DirecTV satellite lineup but online instead and requires a company-provided streaming box.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Launching-New-Streaming-Version-of-DirecTV-141840

They also plan to have 5 competing online streaming TV services by 2019 :psyduck:

This is probably a combination of throwing poo poo against a wall because they don’t quite get it, and trying to have a product that competes directly with Xfinity’s streaming service.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that using a device like an AppleTV or FireTV that’s typically connected to a television? There are some weird issues in regards to streaming rights for certain shows/channels where a provider can stream to a portable device or computer, but not to a device hooked up to a television. It’s weird, but I think it’s an artifact of old business models.

Yeah, on my Apple TV is when I've noticed it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

See also: NFL games can't be viewed on mobile unless you're on Verizon.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

RZA Encryption posted:

See also: NFL games can't be viewed on mobile unless you're on Verizon.

IIRC, that contract is up.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

I imagine a big driver for this is having a place to take UVerse IPTV customers. AT&T's signaled their desire to kill that service, but considering a lot of people signed up for UVerse because they didn't want a dish, there's been no really good path out of it yet.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I was planning on getting a Roku stick and mooching off of my brother's YoutubeTv account. I ended up signing up for that DirecttvNow deal where they send you a Roku if you pay for the first month of service up front (35 bucks). I'm going to try out both, but anyone have opinions between the two, or if I should go with another service altogether? My friend says PS Vue is good... Thankfully I'm not doing 4k since my internet does have a data cap.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At least on my Roku TV, the DTV Now app is pretty mediocre. Their beta app is even worse, months behind the corresponding iOS/Android/FireTV apps in terms of quality.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm probably replacing the bedroom roku with an Apple TV because the DTVN is way better on ATV.

I'm still baffled as to why they don't have RedZone yet. It would be perfect for me if they did.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I was planning on getting a Roku stick and mooching off of my brother's YoutubeTv account. I ended up signing up for that DirecttvNow deal where they send you a Roku if you pay for the first month of service up front (35 bucks). I'm going to try out both, but anyone have opinions between the two, or if I should go with another service altogether? My friend says PS Vue is good... Thankfully I'm not doing 4k since my internet does have a data cap.

I have both Directv Now and Youtube TV. I'm on the grandfathered $35/mo price with yttv since I've been using them for about 6 months now. Signed up with the $35/mo Live a Little plan on DTV a month ago just for the Apple TV promo. As it stands right now, for me, I will not be continuing with DTV when my 3 months is up unless I can get the reps to give me a bunch of free stuff.

But the first thing you need to determine is what you want. Locals and Regional Sports Networks on the streaming services can be a little weird. Make sure the service has the locals/rsns you want specifically for your zipcode, not just city. They can get really wonky if you live on the edge of a city and are used to locals/rsns from a neighboring one.

I should state I watch using an Apple TV most of the time, but I do watch in chrome on my macbook sometimes. The yttv website just works, dtv gives me problems logging in much of the time.

DTV just rolled out their DVR service to everyone last week. It's still beta though and the dvr'd version is not necessarily at the same quality of the broadcast. A few posts back you'll see me complaining that the nhl playoff games are recorded at 720@30fps. But they were broadcast 1080@60. If you've ever watched hockey at 30fps you'll know it's ugly.

Yttv dvr is miles better imo, but it's a little different than what most people are used to in a dvr. You set a show to record, there is no 'only record new' or 'record all' options. There is no deleting watched episodes. It will just continuously record that show. So take The Americans for instance, episode 8 aired last Wed. FX has rebroadcast it 3 times since. My dvr for the ep has a little arrow that expands to show 3 extra copies. Back during the regular season of hockey, I recorded games of my local team. The rsn would rebroadcast the game later that night or the next day in an abbreviated format. My dvr for the game would show both. Also if a network puts out a vod of an episode, that'll show up too and most networks now force you to watch a vod over dvr.

UI-wise, I prefer Yttv. The DTV one is much better than it used to be though. Yttv lets you completely edit the guide, like hide channels and rearrange them in any order. DTV just lets you favorite. One thing I highly dislike about dtv though is that in non-guide screens it shows stuff from networks your package does not have. Like it displays all sorts of shows from HBO which I don't have.

Channel wise is where they diverge a lot. Yttv does not have Scripps networks, ie Discovery, HGTV, Food Network. And it doesn't have Viacom, ie MTV, Comedy Central, Nick. But at the $35ish/mo price point, DTV doesn't have rsns, espns beyond 2, sec/btn/college network.

Picture quality wise, some say DTV is better and I mostly agree. It's a really trivial difference imo. But I feel like I see far more random artifacting on dtv.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is YTTV ever getting Food network

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks for the responses, and drat having the recording be a different quality from the broadcast sounds terrible. Anyone have any experience with Playstation Vue?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is YTTV ever getting Food network

Probably not at its current price point. Yttv will have to go to different package tiers like dtv or increase their price if the business analysts are correct. Supposedly Yttv is losing upwards of $5 per subscriber as it is. Adding the scripps networks would just increase that more.

I think that's why Youtube is starting to make a push with better shows on Youtube Red like Cobra Kai and next months Impulse. (you get Youtube Red originals free as part of yttv). Just a few days ago they added 2 new channels that originated from Youtube, Tastemade and The Young Turks. These give Youtube more of the ad money, so I guess if this type of stuff can take off successfully they would be able to offset the cost of other providers network fees with a larger portion of the ad money from their home grown stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok thanks. It’s weird they don’t Atleast have food network. That’s my gfs favorite channel :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Philo fills a lot of the channel gaps the others have. It's a good complement to Hulu with Live tv since it gets you Viacom, AMC, and Scripps stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t stand Hulu lives UI it doesn’t have a real guide does it

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bull3964 posted:

Philo fills a lot of the channel gaps the others have. It's a good complement to Hulu with Live tv since it gets you Viacom, AMC, and Scripps stuff.

If they would just get an Android TV app....

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just wanted to chime in, I bought a TCL 5-series smart TV and it's super cool. You can plug in a 16GB flash drive, which I did and it gives you up to 90 minutes of pause on live TV. You can rewind and everything up to where you started that channel. Pretty drat sweet, I didn't even know it could do that when I bought it. Just a nice bonus.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Croatoan posted:

Just wanted to chime in, I bought a TCL 5-series smart TV and it's super cool. You can plug in a 16GB flash drive, which I did and it gives you up to 90 minutes of pause on live TV. You can rewind and everything up to where you started that channel. Pretty drat sweet, I didn't even know it could do that when I bought it. Just a nice bonus.

In a world where Vizio won't even give you a goddamn tuner that's pretty rad.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

In a world where Vizio won't even give you a goddamn tuner that's pretty rad.

It also has a built in guide. I guess it gets the data over the internet because there's tons more info than what you'd get just OTA. The only downside I've had with this thing is that I can't seem to delete channels so I'm stuck with the religious and telemarketing channels. When I research it the only instructions I get for "deleting channels on a roku smart tv" is how to delete apps.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can’t stand Hulu lives UI it doesn’t have a real guide does it

They just added a “Live TV” header, but I haven’t used it too much.

The UI is horseshit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've gotten pretty lucky with "off-brand" TVs...

Bought a 50" Sceptre branded TV from a friend a while ago.. I swear this thing has the best drat panel I have ever seen in a TV. Contrast is fantastic, colors pop, etc...

I also just bought a TCL branded 55" 4k Roku TV (last years model) from the same friend over the weekend. (he is a gadget fiend, always buying new TVs, phones, etc...) Its non-HDR, and only 60hz panel... but its great. Perfectly even backlight, excellent contrast, colors where almost over-saturated; reminded me a bit of my OLED phone.. Had to turn them down a bit.

Both of the no-name TVs are better in every way than the much more expensive Vizio's my parents just bought a year ago. Both of them look like Vizio used the shittest TN panel they could find; terrible contrast and backlight bleed like a laptop from 1995.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

To be fair, TCL has gotten a lot of accolades lately. I'm pretty sure they're the recommendation for Wirecutters budget pick.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TCL is the third largest TV manufacturer behind Samsung and LG. The TCL P-series TV is considered the best non-OLED TV on the market and is also one of the cheapest.

They're good TVs!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
TCL are the last large TV manufacturer just trying to sell functional screens instead of app ecosystems and postprocessing tech so the nerd crowd of course loves them and they're not wrong to.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

One more for the TCL lovefest. I got a 49" 4K TCL Roku TV from Costco for $320 a few months ago for my home office. It's been great. It's on sale again now for the same price, through the end of June.

https://www.costco.com/TCL-49-Class-48.5-Diag.-4K-Ultra-HD-Roku-LED-LCD-TV.product.100340002.html

I'm guessing this one is last year's model, but the price is right. My only gripe is I wish it had just one more HDMI input.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s been in my Amazon wishlist for ages, but I succumbed to that HiSense 49” 4K/HDR screen at Walmart that’s $220 right now. Which is insane. I can use an existing Roku with it to supply everything I need (the inbuilt one of the TCL is a cool feature tho) so all I care about is the panel being generally well liked, and the sound not sucking so much I need to add speakers. It’s just a bedroom set so not expecting or needing miracles.

But jeez, it probably costs less than the 20” CRT in my bedroom growing up when adjusting for inflation.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

But jeez, it probably costs less than the 20” CRT in my bedroom growing up when adjusting for inflation.

Hell, I was outright elated to get a 32", relatively no-name (remember Olevia?), 720p LCD TV for $500 as a Black Friday doorbuster in 2006.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in the market for an OTA antenna, and I looked up the best-selling TV antennas on Amazon to see if there's anything new out there.

Most of the Top 10 antennas are all generic Chinese antennas that you can buy in bulk or on eBay for around $2.00 each. Amazon's selling them for around $30 and have listed them as "Amazon's Choice" selections.

What a loving racket.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Go to solidsignal.com. they have s thing you can fill out and they will recommend one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

Go to solidsignal.com. they have s thing you can fill out and they will recommend one.

I'm not the guy who asked but I look forward to seeing what they say. I currently have a HW-27UV with a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT. I get some channels when it's aimed at one tower but I lose signal for the other towers. I'm curious to see if there's a better option as I live in the foothills of the Appalachians in a very wooded area. Also, I should point out it's the link at the top that says "NEED TV ANTENNA HELP? Ask our experts!", it took me a few minutes to realize where you were referring to on their site.