Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The second that Bolsonaro starts to be a threat to Alckmin making it to the run off, it will be like what happened to Roseanna Sarney. Right now since the left is fragmented they still hope for a Alckmin-Bolsonaro scenario where PSDB can play th role of Macron.

As for immigrants being reactionary, very few of the immigrants to the US, even the undocumented ones, were actually poor in Brazil. Brazilian immigration to the US tends to be much more middle class than other Latin American countries:

http://funag.gov.br/loja/download/1195-BRASILEIROS%20NOS%20EUA_16_05_V_8_FINAL.pdf

As a result, it is unsurprising that so many Brazilian immigrants fall into that pattern that I've discussed here: being super reactionary in Brazilian matters while also being fairly liberal in American politics because they are people who think that poor people in Brazil are unworthy of help but poor people in the US aren't (because they either need it themselves or because they want to fit in in NYC or Boston). Related:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

American reactionaries haven't quite gotten to the point where they can break kayfabe, and openly show vicious Latin American style contempt for the poor because they still need poor people to vote for them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The part about reminiscing on the good old days hwere you had the right to rape your slave maid is what made me think it might be a fake post but i'm only 40% sure

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The part about reminiscing on the good old days hwere you had the right to rape your slave maid is what made me think it might be a fake post but i'm only 40% sure

Yeah, it might be fake, but I hear enough similar takes that either way it's appropriate.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dead comedy forums posted:

Bolsonaro is quite already burned in the foreign press, particularly by some interviews he has given to documentaries and long reads from The Guardian and the like

he isn't some brilliant mastermind, guy is riding the wave that the moment allows him but he has literally no political machine to back him up and do groundwork, not to mention he is a PR disaster and doesn't control the party he is in (which leads to a lot of infighting)

besides he would lose points with his base if suddenly he started looking capable of being reasonable

something about this seems familiar

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

At some point, let's resign ourselves to accerlerationism.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol, true

but I think the situation here is a bit different because the guy is being seriously overestimated and people (ironically a lot of those are in the left) are thinking he is going to wipe the floor or something

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

As a result, it is unsurprising that so many Brazilian immigrants fall into that pattern that I've discussed here: being super reactionary in Brazilian matters while also being fairly liberal in American politics because they are people who think that poor people in Brazil are unworthy of help but poor people in the US aren't (because they either need it themselves or because they want to fit in in NYC or Boston).
so they're exactly like immigrants from India

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian media.txt

For the uninitiated: the headline of one of the biggest Sao Paulo papers has a bombastic headline about "Ciro" receiving bribes. It's not until you get to the actual story that you read that it's Ciro Nogueira they are talking about, president of a party that supports Temer. Meanwhile, the name nearly everyone in Brazil thinks of when they hear "Ciro" is Ciro Gomes, opposition politician running for president who is somewhat allied with Lula.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm from the state which Ciro's family runs as a feud so I'm really queasy about having to vote for him

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ciro Gomes is definitely super slimy. But it is still funny how obvious this was.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
Every single poll I've seen so far that excludes Lula puts Marina and Bolsonaro at around the same percentages before the second round, and estimates a +10% win for her once they're against each other. I know it's too early to predict anything, but I think that unless a scandal pops up, she'll probably take it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Metal Cat posted:

Every single poll I've seen so far that excludes Lula puts Marina and Bolsonaro at around the same percentages before the second round, and estimates a +10% win for her once they're against each other. I know it's too early to predict anything, but I think that unless a scandal pops up, she'll probably take it.

I think it's impossible to tell. Marina is pretty fragile and most of the media will turn on her if she is threatening the PSDB candidate. Also, in the very slim chance that Lula is able to leave jail before October, he'd be able to transfer a lot of votes if he is able to actually campaign for someone. I am starting to see some astroturfing of the NOVO candidate online.

Either way, Brazil is hosed for the next few years because this whole thing has only increased party fractionalism, which will mean a lot more bribes to keep people in line. It's going to end up like the city council of Belo Horizonte, which has 22 parties in 41 seats.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
despicable quisling president Macri is currently clowning the Argentinian economy and selling it off to the IMF as the peso goes into a tailspin because he decided to get rid of capital controls

the "markets" i.e. vampiric lich lords are "optimistic"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/08/argentina-seeks-imf-loan-to-rescue-peso-from-downward-slide

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

didn't macri win with venezuela and drug trade fearmongering?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

despicable quisling president Macri is currently clowning the Argentinian economy and selling it off to the IMF as the peso goes into a tailspin because he decided to get rid of capital controls

the "markets" i.e. vampiric lich lords are "optimistic"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/08/argentina-seeks-imf-loan-to-rescue-peso-from-downward-slide

lol 2001 on repeat

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This declassified document has been making the rounds in Brazil recently:

https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1969-76ve11p2/d99?platform=hootsuite

Brazilian dictators meeting with Kissinger to detail their summary execution policy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

joepinetree posted:

https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1969-76ve11p2/d99?platform=hootsuite

Brazilian dictators meeting with Kissinger to detail their summary execution policy.
bolsonaro is furiously scribbling notes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

joepinetree posted:

That one is cool because I've seen people claiming that the people killed by the doi-codi were killed "accidentally" during "interrogation" instead of being straight up executed.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

bolsonaro is furiously scribbling notes

Bolsonaro shrugged off Geisel’s alleged sanctioning of summary executions on Friday. “Who’s never given their kid a spank on the bum and then regretted it? These things happen,” he was quoted as saying by the Estado de São Paulo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Bolsonaro shrugged off Geisel’s alleged sanctioning of summary executions on Friday. “Who’s never given their kid a spank on the bum and then regretted it? These things happen,” he was quoted as saying by the Estado de São Paulo.
bolsonaro spanking chambers confirmed

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

oh my god

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Bostanaro

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-44094868

quote:

The regional attorney general in Chiapas, Arturo Pablo Lievano, originally said there was no evidence of bad intent and everything pointed to an accident. He said they may have been run off the road by a vehicle.

However, Hagenbusch's brother, Reiner, told the German press he believed they had been killed and there had been some sort of attempted cover-up.

After travelling to Mexico to identify his brother's body, he also found out information about the Polish biker.
"The Polish cyclist was decapitated and had a foot missing," he wrote on Facebook.

Could somebody explain to me how is it possible for a regional government attorney to do this and still remain a prosecutor? doesn’t he make himself party to murder by so blatantly lying? I mean I get that mexican government is corrupt through and through, but it’s still a bit brazen to try and cover up a double murder in official statements.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cool take that people have started to present regarding the CIA report on the Junta tortures: Why should we trust them when they lied about Iraq's WMDs

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Plutonis posted:

Cool take that people have started to present regarding the CIA report on the Junta tortures: Why should we trust them when they lied about Iraq's WMDs

Given that there's a perfectly overlapping venn diagram of Bolsonaro fans and Trump fans, I don't understand why they aren't saying the CIA is a globalist organization showing a forged report to discredit the military and right-wingers. They already believe in all the other conspiracy points espoused in the Breitbart-esque online media environment anyway.

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:49 on May 15, 2018

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

Amazing take for a foreigner to have: The CIA isn't bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ergh i biked that road, that makes me feel sick

even traveled a bit with a guy from poland with the same first name

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aliquid posted:

ergh i biked that road, that makes me feel sick

even traveled a bit with a guy from poland with the same first name

i feel we should report you to the mexican authorities

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Took the bus down that road, was explicitly warned to do it during the day because at night there are bandits

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i just watched O Processo and it reminded me how much of a loving sham the impeachment was.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least Maduro will keep the dream alive :ussr:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Frijolero posted:

At least Maduro will keep the dream alive :ussr:

i hope he starts to actually nationalize and hand poo poo over to workers much faster

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

i hope he starts to actually nationalize and hand poo poo over to workers much faster
lol not happening

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

btw it's pretty interesting how no one spontaneously gives a poo poo about the world cup anymore. dunno if it's because the yellow shirt became tarred because the 'patriot' impeachment protesters kept wearing it, the fact that literally all the players are from european teams and aren't playing in the brasileirão or even because of the loving 7-1

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

btw it's pretty interesting how no one spontaneously gives a poo poo about the world cup anymore. dunno if it's because the yellow shirt became tarred because the 'patriot' impeachment protesters kept wearing it, the fact that literally all the players are from european teams and aren't playing in the brasileirão or even because of the loving 7-1
i don't give a poo poo about this World Cup because this is the first time the USA has missed it since i was in utero. plus countries that have good domestic leagues end up winning it all anyway because they pluck their players from a couple of teams (see: Italy in 2006, Spain in 2010, Germany in 2014)

it's like that everywhere in every sport. in hockey, don cherry made a career out of rooting for good Canadian boys and hating lazy Swedes and enigmatic Russians

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:45 on May 21, 2018

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Plutonis posted:

It's literally nowhere in the news in the US, but I'm sure it's a big deal right now for any country that qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

• Locked thread