Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Just lift things up and put them down and you'll get bigger and stronger both at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

Just lift things up and put them down and you'll get bigger and stronger both at the same time

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

There’s this new thing where you do only positives for building up strength

Apparently it’s negatives for muscle mass, positives only for strength

This is why you drop all deadlifts.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who wants both muscle mass and strength when you can get only one of these things instead?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

"But what if I accidentally get TOO muscular" said every skinny person ever.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Wanna be the strongest 123lb lifter.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why has no one invented some kind of protein beer

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Zzulu posted:

Who wants both muscle mass and strength when you can get only one of these things instead?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

Why has no one invented some kind of protein beer
Someone tried to invent a beer powder for backpackers and survivalists.

It didn't work out very well, and protein beer is probably the same deal.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Dum Cumpster posted:

Wanna be the strongest 123lb lifter.

Lamar Gant was jacked at 123. He was like 5'1" though.

https://youtu.be/PSVqlh7ePb8

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There's a slidy scale on what you actually want, aesthetics, strength, cardio, etc. Who really can say what is the correct answer.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

doverhog posted:

There's a slidy scale on what you actually want, aesthetics, strength, cardio, etc. Who really can say what is the correct answer.

There are no correct answers in fitness but there are definitely incorrect answers such as "do negatives to develop size"

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

doverhog posted:

Not visible abs, apparently.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Killing Loaf posted:

Lamar Gant was jacked at 123. He was like 5'1" though.

https://youtu.be/PSVqlh7ePb8

He was the squishiest 123lb lifter.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Dum Cumpster posted:

Not visible abs, apparently.

You seem to harbor some bitterness. Would you like to talk about it? I've never attempted to get visible abs, so don't have them. Maybe you have, gz mate.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Since getting better at fitness is a marathon not sprint kind of deal it's especially susceptible to overthinking. You record yourself trying the figure out the optimum angle of your butt wink or whatever while you see some rear end in a top hat is getting jacked doing heaving curls. The difference is that even if he doesn't give a poo poo about optimizing stuff he's there doing his thing way longer and way more consistently and he isn't afraid of eating because he's get too fat

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix posted:

There are no correct answers in fitness but there are definitely incorrect answers such as "do negatives to develop size"

I’ve read about negatives from Dorian Yates training so it probably works

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Arnold recommended certain exercises for emphasizing inner pecs. Bodybuilders don't know poo poo

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Thought the gym would be empty today but as soon as I pulled into the parking lot and saw the squad of jacked up pickups and jeeps I knew in my heart that there would be no benches open on this day.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
doing negatives just adds to the exercises difficulty therefore you should do it in my swole rear end opinion

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

There’s this new thing where you do only positives for building up strength

Apparently it’s negatives for muscle mass, positives only for strength

I mean this is actually 100% true but it's not "new" by any means

Positives only for strength is because strength is, by definition, your ability to do positives, so it's the most specific way to train for strength

Both positives and negatives for size is because it maximizes time under tension

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
just pick the weights up and down and eat a lot of veggies and protein holy poo poo ur jacked now

now venture out and get your dicks sucked

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
oats/whey/peanut butter/fruit/milk 3x a day will get you get jacked if you still eat i don't care whatever dumbass excuse you give me

(screams into ether)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

just pick the weights up and down and eat a lot of veggies and protein holy poo poo ur jacked now

now venture
out and get your dicks? sucked!

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

now venture out and get your dicks sucked

oats/whey/peanut butter/fruit/milk 3x a day will get you get jacked if you still eat i don't care whatever dumbass excuse you give me

(screams into ether)

PEDs feel loving fantastic

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
like i said, fantastic.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

feelix posted:

I mean this is actually 100% true but it's not "new" by any means

Positives only for strength is because strength is, by definition, your ability to do positives, so it's the most specific way to train for strength

This really sounds like someone ought to ask, what is the definition of strength.

*never had visible abs but dick has been sucked more since starting work out so agree with Calvin Johnson Jr. in principle

doverhog fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 20, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

doverhog posted:

This really sounds like someone ought to ask, what is the definition of strength.

*never had visible abs but dick has been sucked more since starting work out so agree with Calvin Johnson Jr. in principle

It's certainly not the ability to put down a weight slowly

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Which principle? The suck my dick principle.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hello I’m here for the dick sucks

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You are in the right place.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

feelix posted:

It's certainly not the ability to put down a weight slowly
YOU'RE TRYING TO LEAD A CARRIAGE WITHOUT A HORSE IF YOU AREN'T DOING NEGATIVES

But seriously, you are forced to do a negative if you are moving any real weight in compound lifts. If you try to dodge the negative on a bench you're either going to gently caress up your shoulders or your chest. If you try to dodge a negative on squats, you're entering the world of potential problems and inconsistent lifts rear end-first.

Deadlift is a bit of an exception. I could say some total bullshit like "holding it at lockout is like a negative", but you can dodge the negatives on deadlifts I guess. I know I do at heavier weights because I suck at dl negatives.

Also, hypertrophy is good for strength. Sorry I can't provide a citation for this wild claim.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 21, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

3rd stall, second floor mens room. Ask for Jim.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

doverhog posted:

You seem to harbor some bitterness. Would you like to talk about it? I've never attempted to get visible abs, so don't have them. Maybe you have, gz mate.

I'm a little grumpy because I've been medically restricted to not lifting more than this 6lb 12oz weight I've been assigned. But I just thought it was funny that all goals are OK except for seeing one's abs, the one you haven't tried for.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I know I made some kettlebell posts in YLLS that really were unnecessary. But, I maintain that the advice was never bad, if someone started to use KBs because of that, they were on a good path. I hope you get better.

* the one rule I have for any advice I ever give on working out is, I must have tried it myself first*

doverhog fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 21, 2018

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yeah you're more helpful than most. You're giving advice from experience not just repeating what you read in a book. I'm just giving you poo poo.

I should be better in 18-30 years.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I failed my 365 lb deadlift tonight, got it to my knees and bam. It was that thicker bar that's hard to hold onto, not like an axle bar it's just bigger than the others. My grip was failing even with mixed/chalk which is weird, I don't usually have that issue. goddamnit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GET BEEFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

On suicide grip, I feel like my fingers grip the bar solidly enough that I have no fear. Regular grip used to aggravate my thumb joints and force me to stop benching.