Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I'm a little annoyed the referrals are down. We could all been gettin :10bux: store credit . Don't wanna push my luck though. Customer service managed to get me a copy of the 420 Chalice record after it was gone.

Edit: Lightmen Plus One: Energy Control Center showed up. poo poo is badass. The bonus record is loving crazy good. Getting a real Exuma vibe off of the Thomas Meloncon stuff. I wonder if Now and Again will be releasing this outside of VMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzzFM_646k

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Signed up on a three month plan and... I'm already thinking of upgrading to a full year.

I picked Mm.. Food for next month of course, but out of curiosity I took a look at their swap options and I saw Common's Electric Circus and now I'm not sure which to go with. :negative:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

Signed up on a three month plan and... I'm already thinking of upgrading to a full year.

I picked Mm.. Food for next month of course, but out of curiosity I took a look at their swap options and I saw Common's Electric Circus and now I'm not sure which to go with. :negative:

Common was from a few months ago so it didn't sell out. You might be fine waiting on it? Looks like you can add it on to your box, but it is $32. Kinda a big negative with the club stuff is you never know when something will sell out. Bummed I missed the madlib Brazil album because I wasn't a member at the time. That's how they get ya. Get on the Vmp forums and sometimes people will post if numbers are getting low.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 19, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

sporklift posted:

Common was from a few months ago so it didn't sell out. You might be fine waiting on it? Looks like you can add it on to your box, but it is $32. Kinda a big negative with the club stuff is you never know when something will sell out. Bummed I missed the madlib Brazil album because I wasn't a member at the time. That's how they get ya. Get on the Vmp forums and sometimes people will post if numbers are getting low.

Thanks now I’m bummed I missed the Madlib Brazil album too.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Outside of something like Demon Days, do releases typically stick around a few months? Wondering if I should roll the dice and grab Common now and hope Mm..Food sticks around a little while.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ballz posted:

Outside of something like Demon Days, do releases typically stick around a few months? Wondering if I should roll the dice and grab Common now and hope Mm..Food sticks around a little while.

If it’s not something that hasn’t gotten a pressing ever (Tidal) or hasn’t gotten one in a long time (Demon Days, Ready to die, Mmm Food) it’ll probably show up in the store the next month. They press quite a bit for the essentials track.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ok, good to know. One last question, is it easy to switch between subscription tracks? Most months I can see myself on the hip hop track, but if I see something I want more in Classics, is it just a matter of updating my profile or something?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Tired: video game soundtracks, cartoon soundtracks

Wired: motherfucking Unsolved Mysteries soundtrack: http://bloody-disgusting.com/music/3499618/haunting-unsolved-mysteries-soundtrack-getting-1st-ever-vinyl-release/

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ballz posted:

Ok, good to know. One last question, is it easy to switch between subscription tracks? Most months I can see myself on the hip hop track, but if I see something I want more in Classics, is it just a matter of updating my profile or something?

yea there should be a section in your account labelled Manage Track and clicking that will let you decide between which of the three you want to be your main one (then that price jumps up to the Essentials price and anything below it jumps down to the add-on price).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Killed some time at Little Axe Records waiting for my pizza.

Nice acoustic gospel record. Thing looks like it had never been played. I assumed it was a re-issue but looks like it is the original pressing. Sounds awesome.

Flipper re-issue from 4 Beards. I have heard their pressings aren't the greatest but not too concerned with fidelity when listening to Flipper. Innervisions for $5.

I may have made a mistake passing this one up....

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I haven't posted much of the vinyl I've bought lately, but here's the stuff I got most recently (ie, just got today or was next to the turntable for recent or near-future listening)

Yes, I am as much a fool for hype (and huge grooves) as any of you, hence The Turkish Record Of Current Popularity. I didn't just get the Stevie Wonder record because it was a sealed (cut-out) copy with an embossed cover, I actually like Part-Time Lover, deal with it. The Hold Steady record is the 2016 repress in white.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Alright fine. Went over and picked up a copy. Had to battle the stupid Portland Sunday bike ride but it was worth it.

Too bad the Funky 16 Corners is warped as gently caress. I guess that gives me an excuse to go back tomorrow.

The Vinyl Thread - Post your copy of Mustafa Özkent Ve Orkestrası ‎– Gençlik İle Elele

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 21, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
is it green and splatty??

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

is it green and splatty??

Nah. But it plays perfectly and sounds awesome. Really all I care about.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

Nah. But it plays perfectly and sounds awesome. Really all I care about.
:hfive: it’s living in steady rotation. Great for housecleaning and whatnot.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

:hfive: it’s living in steady rotation. Great for housecleaning and whatnot.

Good driving music. Also, 15.99 is the perfect price point for a new record. Good on Jackpot for not gouging. I've found their used prices instore to be pretty fair as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

Good driving music. Also, 15.99 is the perfect price point for a new record. Good on Jackpot for not gouging. I've found their used prices instore to be pretty fair as well.

How did you get your turntable to work properly in your car?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Who am I kidding... this is me irl

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Who am I kidding... this is me irl

Every time I see this I can't get over how terrible of an idea it is and that picture with Muhammad Ali is the best piece of unintentional parody I've ever seen.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

actually, it's cool to play records in your car.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

"Record Eater" sounds like a last minute decision.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Tired: video game soundtracks, cartoon soundtracks

Wired: motherfucking Unsolved Mysteries soundtrack: http://bloody-disgusting.com/music/3499618/haunting-unsolved-mysteries-soundtrack-getting-1st-ever-vinyl-release/

It's me, I'm the guy that needs 120 ghost cues on vinyl.

Bonus points if it has anything Robert Stack in Baseketball as a locked groove.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Local store had a huge sale yesterday with boxes and boxes of records for $2 each. Got some Great 12” singles from Kool & The Gang, Isley Bros, and George Michael. Also picked up a bunch of LPs of stuff like Ramsey Lewis, Gladys Knight & The Pips, and The Ojays. The covers weren’t in the best shape but the actual vinyl was all VG or better.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

esperantinc posted:

The first thing I looked for was Robert Stack voice overs. Would have been an instant buy for me. This is the sort of thing that would make a great 45 though. Theme song on one side and Robert Stack on the b-side.

re: Record Eater. I think the name was pretty apt. Probably the same technology used in the car players in which the high pressure on the stylus kept it from skipping. Probably wore through records faster than a Crosley.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 21, 2018

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

sporklift posted:

The first thing I looked for was Robert Stack voice overs. Would have been an instant buy for me. This is the sort of thing that would make a great 45 though. Theme song on one side and Robert Stack on the b-side.

re: Record Eater. I think the name was pretty apt. Probably the same technology used in the car players in which the high pressure on the stylus kept it from skipping. Probably wore through records faster than a Crosley.

If I don't at least get Robert Stacks "UPDATE" on there I'm going to be disappointed haha.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

sporklift posted:

Alright fine. Went over and picked up a copy. Had to battle the stupid Portland Sunday bike ride but it was worth it.

Too bad the Funky 16 Corners is warped as gently caress. I guess that gives me an excuse to go back tomorrow.

The Vinyl Thread - Post your copy of Mustafa Özkent Ve Orkestrası ‎– Gençlik İle Elele

Which label/store carries the Ozkent record in Portland? I'm going to be there this weekend and wouldn't mind picking up a copy from the source.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

esperantinc posted:

If it was just a single with the theme music I'd buy the poo poo out of it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Which label/store carries the Ozkent record in Portland? I'm going to be there this weekend and wouldn't mind picking up a copy from the source.

Fabulous Jackpot Records on SE Hawthorne Blvd.
https://jackpotrecords.com/

Other stores to check out if you have time and are able to get around town easily:

Future Shock
http://www.futureshockpdx.com/

Little Axe Records
http://www.littleaxerecords.com/

Mississippi Records
5202 N Albina Ave

Music Millenium
https://www.musicmillennium.com/

Crossroads Records (Huge space that has 50 separate dealers under one roof. Kinda challenging to pick though because each dealer has a section. So you have to go through a bunch of different Soul sections.)
http://www.xro.com

Everyday Music (HUGE stores. You can find some gems but they are usually the most picked over.)
http://www.everydaymusic.com/store-locations-hours.php

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

sporklift posted:

List of Portland shops

Thanks for this, I’m going to Portland in July and will check out at least a few of these places!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

sporklift posted:

Fabulous Jackpot Records on SE Hawthorne Blvd.
https://jackpotrecords.com/

Other stores to check out if you have time and are able to get around town easily:

Future Shock
http://www.futureshockpdx.com/

Little Axe Records
http://www.littleaxerecords.com/

Mississippi Records
5202 N Albina Ave

Music Millenium
https://www.musicmillennium.com/

Crossroads Records (Huge space that has 50 separate dealers under one roof. Kinda challenging to pick though because each dealer has a section. So you have to go through a bunch of different Soul sections.)
http://www.xro.com

Everyday Music (HUGE stores. You can find some gems but they are usually the most picked over.)
http://www.everydaymusic.com/store-locations-hours.php

Sweet! A few of those were already on my radar, but I'll see if I can swing Crossroads and Everyday Music.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

If you go to Jackpot tell them I humbly ask for some residuals due to the number of people who bought that Ozkent album because of me tia

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I also recommend 2nd Ave. Records in downtown Portland, though that involves dealing with Downtown Portland.

My usual route for hitting Record Stores in Portland on a Sunday is to start at Everyday Music on NE Sandy, walk over to Future Shock and Music Millennium on Burnside, walk to Hawthorne so I can hit up Jackpot and Exile Records then take the bus off of Hawthorne all the way down to 81st and Foster right in front of Crossroads.

Man, I miss having money.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Stopped in at the Dimple Records near my house because they recently re-did their vinyl section and it now has about 10x more used records than it did previously. Managed to find some great stuff and a couple cool 12" singles. I browsed the new section for hip-hop and couldn't resist grabbing Jay Dilla's The King Of Beats II.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

What, no Özkent?

Anyways my mother works for some travel thing here in town and randomly dropped this by today. Click for big.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

sporklift posted:

What, no Özkent?

It was supposed to come today! The tracking says by 8pm so they have half an hour but packages usually don't deliver this late.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oh hello there.

This album is incredible so far and I am going to sample the hell out of it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just got this baby in the mail:

Makes me regret not picking up any of their Devo releases. Dang, this is a good reissue.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Record sounds great but they messed up my order and I didn't get the remix track cassette :(

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Contact their customer service email, they should get it straightened out. They replaced my Mother 2 a while back when I ordered a hot springs pink vinyl and instead got a damaged black one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Found a Marilyn Monroe picture record 'Runnin Wild' for £20 locally. Worth picking up?