Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kana's parents are why I think the Takases only rank second when it comes to being the worst people we deal with.

Jesus christ the implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 117: 9/29-9/30: A Second Chance You Probably Don’t Deserve

Anon: Evil needs to die!
Anon: Our savior’s made a move!
Anon: its gettin exciting!

It’s getting intense, is what it is.

The sooner they get it done, the better it is for society.
We’re counting on you, Phantom Thieves… Don’t let us down.
Those politicians and Okumura both deserve divine punishment!
Aw, this place is sold out of Phantom Thieves merch too?

Anon: SO MANY COMMENTS OMG
Anon: Here comes the apology rofl
Anon: Okumura’s got 5 sec
Anon: Don’t let us down!

Music: So Boring

It’d spell the end of this country if kids started wanting to become more like the Phantom Thieves. You’re already in your second year of high school. You should have a clear vision of your future. If you’re looking for safety and stability, a civil servant is a good option. Hey, Hamiru. Not all civil servants work in government offices. Which of these occupations is a civil one.

Uhhhhhhhhh…

Oho… I’m impressed you knew that. Only the cormorant fishermen of Nagaragawa are officially used by the imperial household.

“Cormorant” fishing? According to my incredible internet proficiency, I have discovered that a cormorant is a type of bird, trained by Asian fishermen to catch fish for them. That’s rather quaint.

Those fishermen are granted spots on the Imperial Household Agency’s Board of Ceremonies. That said, you can’t break into that industry even if you wanted to since it’s a hereditary occupation. If you want a government job, try for a spot in the Diet—though some may say that’s hereditary too.

Hyuk. Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

I’m honestly fed up with politicians these days. Isn’t there anyone who seriously wants to improve this country?
Oh yeah, they said on the news that the cabinet’s approval rating went down again. They’re the complete opposite of us. Our popularity and approval have been going through the roof.

And there’s no way it could ever stop...

Music: Tokyo Daylight

And Hifumi’s ready for the next rank.

They should leave reforming society or whatever to the people we elect and put in charge.
Maybe… Hey, shouldn’t we be doing something too?
What are you talking about? We’ve worked so hard up until now, so I say our work is done.

By the way, have you eaten yet, Hamiru-san? I’m starving… But the hunger doesn’t really bother me when I’m playing.

What!? Are you sure? OK, today’s training will be a “lecture.” If you pay for my meal, I’ll let you have the course for free.

I get my meal, and you get your training, so we’re both happy. Now, stop wasting time and take me some place to eat!

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

I gotta eat good because I’m fighting a war.

...Didn’t I tell you? I’ve been having serious battles with kids at school. They attack me in large numbers, so I can’t let my guard down. All they did today was throw eraser crumbs in my lunch, though, so I won that round.

This sounds like a problem!

...It’s a war. I’m on the defensive right now, but I’m looking for a chance to counterattack. I could finish them in a second if I put my mind to it. It’s just that… now’s not the right time. It gets kind of annoying having to watch my back all the time, though… Maybe I can ask the Phantom Thieves to take care of them…

Well, today you lost… So that means you’ll just have to try harder next time. Now, eat up and feel better.

...You’re not mad?
Of course not. You did your best, and that’s all that counts. Now, no more crying.
What a joke… Once you lose, it’s over.

“Goddamn kids today and their participation trophies!”

That’s what my mom told me. My mom’s fighting with the school… About how classes are taught, the way teachers treat students, the size of the classes… Since the divorce, my mom’s been taking care of me all by herself. She says it’s exhausting.

That’s a weird thing to say! I mean, it’s true, child care is exhausting and expensive, but it’s weird to put that on the kid.

She leaves really early to go to work. Then she comes home really late to take care of me. It’s no wonder she demands so much from the school, you know? But all my classmates make fun of her and call her a complainer… When I tell them to stop, they call me a momma’s boy… That’s how the war started. My mom gets made fun of because I’m weak! That’s why I gotta get stronger!

Shinya seems happy with her though.

But I’ve got a long way to go… Oh, before I forget, I need to show you something… Don’t tell anyone else about this, OK? But I’m going to show you a guaranteed way to win!
I feel like my bond with Shinya is growing deeper…

Warning Shot lets us potentially skip the negotiation process by firing a… warning shot. It apparently works a very, very high percentage of the time. I never got Shinya past Rank 2 in my original file, so everything from here on is uncharted territory, and let me just say that this Confidant gets us some amazing poo poo.

..I wish I could be a member of the Phantom Thieves and help them defeat the bad guys in the world.

Oh, it’s kinda late. I guess I should go home…
Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased...

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Thanks for the food. Later!

Music: Beneath the Mask

Oh no! I accidentally did an INFORMATION CRIME!

No, but seriously, I’m cracking up at how stiff that reads.

Consider the following… A: Divulging someone’s crimes/B: Insult in an internet post/ Which of these counts as slander? You be the judge!

The correct answer is...A! Spreading around someone’s criminal history… is a crime!
If you publicly say something that hurts someone’s reputation, even if it’s true, it’s slander! Insults are usually not considered defamation, and even if it was, it’d be libel on the internet.
Oh, you got it right. So everyone who spreads rumors about you is guilty of slander, eh?
It feels like I’ve improved my Knowledge.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1, despite the fact that this seems wrong! Or maybe that's just one more way Japan's a little more hosed up than I realized!

Music: Crossroads

You have any good stories? I’m takin’ a little break, so I’m all ears.

Lala-chan, two drinks please…

Both of them are for her, I presume.

Here, take a seat.

Wait, Lala actually gave it to Maaku!?

Thanks to my quota… and that shithead chief. But I made some progress on my personal investigation. I did some research on the Phantom Thieves. I’m starting to get the impression they might actually be the real deal. No signs of an internal power struggle, no dirty money changing hands…

Well, we just had an internal power struggle like two weeks back, and a lot of our revenue is technically from counterfeiting, so...

I can kinda understand now how someone like you became a fan. The more I get to know about the Phantom Thieves, the better I understand them…

I can relate to their sincerity. They remind me of how I used to be. I already know firsthand that fighting the evils of society is a never-ending, thankless job… But I still do it nonetheless. I bet the Phantom Thieves share that same type of passion.
*giggle* I never thought I’d hear you talking about passion, Ichiko-chan. Maybe all this talk about the Phantom Thieves has influenced you. Or maybe it’s just the kid.
Maybe… I mean, he is a pretty big fan of theirs, so…

...What? You found Kayo…!?

Music: Suspicion

Where is she…? What do you mean, you can’t tell me!? Why the hell not!? Hey! What’s going on!? Wait!

That was one of my journalist friends. He thinks he found Kayo. He followed up on a pretty far-fetched string of rumors for me, but now he’s saying he doesn’t want to get involved. ...Dammit! Why the hell won’t he tell me what’s going on!? I can’t just give up now!
A-At least that’s progress! I mean, we didn’t even know Kayo-chan was still alive before now, so--

Music: Desire

Well, not anymore. I’ve cut off all your resources. I suggest that you drop this investigation if you don’t want to face the consequences!
Wait… You’re the one who pressured my contact to keep quiet?
I told you… This is where your wild goose chase ends. Oh, and I’ll be doubling your quota again. No more of this personal investigation. Got it?
What!? Are you trying to kill me?
Hey now, Mr. Chief… Can you really do that?
I don’t think anyone asked for your opinion, bitch.

I’m about to leap out of this loving chair, man. You take that back.

Listen to me, Ohya. Give it up, unless you wanna end up just like that stupid friend of yours!

Don’t talk about Kayo like that…

If you even think about talking poo poo on Kayo again, I won’t hesitate to beat the living crap out of you!
Whoa, hold on…
Take back everything you just said… or I’m gonna do even worse.
It’s too late now! The higher-ups have decided to put that incident to rest, and that’s what we’re doing! You understand!?

What should I do? Should I go knock him out!?

Hmph. I know I’d be playing right into his hands if I let him get to me, but… God dammit!

Just stay calm and think… Arghhh! This sucks! An even greater quota is gonna be a problem… but I can’t give up now! I promise, I won’t stop fighting! I’ll prove it to you with another great article! “Exclusive: The Phantom Thieves, Stealing Hearts and Changing Lives!” *sigh* Sorry, I really will try and calm down now…
I can sense Ohya’s passionate devotion...

Just further security level reductions. It’s a weird mechanic and this Confidant is weird for having its sole purpose be to avoid dealing with it.

...I’m still frustrated though. All that bullshit he said is really getting to me. I wish I was better at controlling my emotions. Like you are.

I actually didn’t mean it like that, but whatever.

More importantly, Ichiko-chan… how are you gonna manage having your quota doubled?
I’ll just work twice as hard! I should be fine as long as I keep getting good info from my favorite source here.

Wouldn’t getting your quota doubled twice result in the amount of work rising like, exponentially, though?

Oh, that reminds me! Lemme hear all about today’s scoop.
I spoke about the Phantom Thieves in a way that somehow piqued Ohya’s interest… I feel like my Charm has increased...

Maaku gains Charm +3.

I should be going… See you next time you have info for me.

Anon: They finally made a move
Anon: no more big bang burg, lmao

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Hey, are you keepin’ up with comments online? There’s a lot of hate for Okumura, and a lot of expectations for us. I hope Haru’s dad has a change of heart soon.

I know! Ain’t it awesome!? This’ll be a huge uproar again. As usual, it’ll be a while before we see some results, but maaan, I am SO lookin’ forward to this.

Yes, I’m sure everything will be fine...

Music: My Homie

Um… Mr. Inui, please come to the faculty office at once.
Oh…? ...I’m going to the faculty office, so make sure you take this time to study.

Ah! The teacher’s back…!

And we can rank up Shinya next time.

Meanwhile, I am here to observe the public in an attempt to refresh my mind. Do you need something?

Let’s hang with Yusuke.

*chuckle* You must have a wealth of free time if that is your decision. Do you remember Director Kawanabe of the Japanese Art Support Foundation? ...The man who offered his support to me at Madarame’s house.

Oh, yes! The time we broke into a place and then he broke in after us!

I would like your assistance with him. Do you have time to spare?

You are truly kind. I find it quite suspicious that he would offer money to a mere high school student like myself… I am grateful for his offer… but I am unsure of what to do.

...Indeed. I must cling onto any semblance of hope I can find in this world…

Geez, you’re a downer.

Very well. I will call him.

…I would appreciate it if you could join me, Maaku. Your presence could help ease my societal discomfort, as well as diffuse the temptation of money. Furthermore, your composure will allow you to tell if he is truly attempting to scam me. Kawanabe-san is waiting for us at the sushi bar. I already told him that you will be coming, so let us go.

We’d better eat up before the sushi gets cold.

Before that… there is something I would like to ask. ...Just who are you?
Hm… An interesting question. My work involves gallery management, but my hobbies are diverse. The foundation is but one of those hobbies. Broadly speaking, we’re responsible for scouting and nurturing talented youth involved in the art world. We offer free scholarships, mediate study abroad programs… and we also connect young artists to customers. ...At a time, even Madarame participated in our organization.
Sensei… I-I mean, Madarame?
Indeed. A good many benefited from his time working with us. We were aware of the dark rumors about him… but we could never have seen his confession coming. I suppose it’s likely he was deceiving us that whole time…

...This is all because of him. It is his fault I can no longer view paintings with a pure heart…
Hm…?
In the past, simply the desire to paint led me to seek beauty. But now, I find myself constantly weighed down by the search for awards or the praise of others… An ugly attachment has fastened itself upon my work… I can no longer paint how I used to. My art… is tainted.
...I see. However, it would be wasteful to let your talent dry up. Our foundation would gladly support you. Not only a former student of the infamous Madarame, but someone with those looks… There is definitely a market for you. We’ll sell you as the “tragic, handsome artist.”

Exactly as it sounds. Having your ideas stolen by Madarame, losing a place to live, hungry for food… That unstable air about you makes for the perfect tragedy. A story like yours will sell even to those who don’t understand art.
A story…?
If you don’t have one in the modern climate, nobody will even mention your name. ...Don’t worry, we’ll handle the details. But in return, you must sell your work through my gallery. We will take a mediation fee, but you’ll be granted steady revenue and a nice customer base as well.

This seems sketchy, but I wonder how much of that’s just the track literally named “Suspicion” playing in the background. When you think about it, most of it’s really rather benign. Oh no! They’re going to promote him and his work in exchange for… a fee!

In the end, this is only about money! That which taints pure beauty…
How immature…
Excuse me!?
It seems you haven’t learned anything after all. You’re not looking at reality objectively. Is wealth really that horrible?

Well, yes, but whatever.

And beyond that, how long will you continue to chase those illusions of yours? Purity… Art…

Oh, I see the issue here. This dude doesn’t believe in ~the power of art~. It’s just a means to an end for him. For shame.

Sh-Shut your mouth! I reject your offer!
Hmph… I thought you of all people would have the resolve to use art to make a living.
I have that resolve! However, I also believe such a life should only come via proper assessment!

This is a really fancy way of saying “he thinks that you should have to think really hard about poo poo before you have money” or something, I dunno, I thought I understood.

It probably actually just means that he should understand art or money or both before he tries to use art to make money, it’s just not phrased well.

Hm? In that case, I have an opportunity for you. My foundation will soon be holding a competition for young artists from around the nation. The prize shall be our support. We’ll bring customers from around Japan to see the next great talent. ...There will be a great deal of pressure on you, should you enter. Or perhaps… are you too afraid?

“I’m a 65-year-old man calling you a chicken! What are you gonna do about it, art-boy?”

What did you say…!?
I wonder if you have what it takes to withstand a skill-based assessment of that magnitude. ...I look forward to finding out. Now then, it seems there’s no use in any further discussion. You can have them send the bill to my office.

Why is it that all artists talk about is money, money, money!? Has the true meaning of art been lost!?

Look man, I got 500k on me right now. Maybe I ain’t the best person to talk to about this. I’m just telling you what you want to hear at this point, money’s fuckin’ great!

You are correct… My passion can change the world. However… I would starve to death without money. Passion alone may fill my heart, but it cannot fill my stomach… What a troubling predicament… Anyhow, I am quite glad that you chose to accompany me here. I may have bit my tongue off in anger had it been only me. In other words… you are a soothing force in my life.

Yeah, all that sentiment is so embarrassing, Maaku. Aren’t you so above it all?

I feel like my bond with Yusuke is growing deeper...

And now there are no skill cards we cannot duplicate. Rad.

I… I will partake in Kawanabe’s exhibition. I am going to display my ability and prove him wrong. ...Come, let us go home. …… Actually, we should eat first. The sushi has done nothing wrong, after all.

Now then, let us head off.

“Just a heads up: nothing’s changed. Just gonna keep stressing you guys out by worrying about this constantly. Okay, laters!”

I appreciate the consideration.
I’ve yet to truly speak with him though.
As I’ve said before, this is just what happened to Madarame. There’s no need to worry.

If you’re having trouble reading it, the bottom option says “No need to get hasty.” I misread it as “nasty” several times.

He’s right. We don’t need to be worried.
In that case, ain’t it time to be talking about our next celebration party?

You know, those things that always go well!

Too soon. Too stupid.
What was that!?
We can talk about that some other time. For now, let’s wait patiently.
Yes. I’ll contact everyone if anything comes up.

Our reporters succeeded in getting an interview with a man who used to work for the company. What he described was a harsh work environment where employees are not allowed any freedom.
Whoa. Having a job sounds like a lot of hard work. What are you gonna do when you’re an adult?

I’m an anime, Morgana. I’m never going to be an adult.

*sigh* ...Hey, Mishima.

Oh, right. Do you think we can talk about last time again?

Fine. I can’t believe I’m not done with you after your most recent escapade, but I’m so close to dropping you completely, just give me a damned excuse.

Thanks. I want to go somewhere I can talk to you alone… How does the park sound?

Here we go, he’s probably going to send us after this dude again...

Huh!? W-Well, actually… I was just gonna say the same thing.

Hm?

I mean, going after him wouldn’t even help you guys get famous. It’d practically be pointless.

For real dude, it’s bad for you.

...Wait, how’d you know about that!?

I crawled inside your soul, dipshit. Not that I needed to do that to see how much you wanted to be famous.

Music: Alleycat

Of course a thief who steals hearts would see what’s going on in the depths of my psyche…

We almost went through with it, too! Was really close, but you were just too pathetic. It wouldn’t have been sporting, really.

You know, I first started the Phan-Site so I could spread your message of justice to the world… But before I knew it, the only reason I wanted to help you guys was so I could get famous myself. Though maybe that’s always been the real reason… I don’t know… I thought I was doing it out of respect for you guys… Yet deep down, I think I really just wanted to show the world I’m more than some stupid zero. Look where that got me though… I’m just a selfish loser clinging desperately to your popularity… I don’t deserve to work alongside the valiant Phantom Thieves.

Well, at least he’s realizing it and doing some serious introspection. This is good for you, man.

Huh?

Wait, dude, you don’t need to--

goddammit man, you gotta ruin every moment, don’t you?

For some reason Alleycat restarts here despite the fact that it was already playing.

Welp. That’s Mishima for you. Even when he’s doing something right it’s somehow pathetic. *sigh* That’s just him, though.

I’m such an idiot… Hahaha… I can’t even run away right… *sigh* Working alongside the Phantom Thieves has made me feel like I myself can change the world… But it’s only ever been you guys… I’m still just as powerless as always. That’s the truth… Hahaha… I wonder if there’s really any way a pathetic guy like me can help you...

Am I… really doing this?

…Dammit, Mishima. I’m… I’m giving you another shot. You haven’t really earned it, but… it’s worth a go, at least. Just… try. Try and be better. Hopefully I won’t regret this.

Thank you… I’ll just have to think of what that might be… Wait, that’s it…! The Phan-Site! How could I have forgotten something as important as that!? I don’t want it to be about public relations anymore though. First and foremost, that site needs to be a safe haven for people in serious trouble. After all that happened to me with Kamoshida, I know how hard it can be to speak out against injustice… So… as long as there are voices crying out to the Phantom Thieves, I’m gonna help them be heard.

This seems like a good first step. Good thinking, man.

Mishima seems to be showing renewed motivation...

Even more experience, great! Even if Mishima isn’t always on the ball as much as we’d like, his Confidant abilities are at least top-notch.

I’m still worried about some of the rumors I’ve heard about him, but I’ll do some more research. By the way, he’s not as bad a guy as he pretends to be. Apparently he’s super sweet to his girlfriend. Can you imagine that? They’ve been talking about getting married even since back in middle school. ...I’m honestly kinda jealous.

Good on you Mishima, acknowledging that even your tormentors contain multitudes.

Anyway, I’ll see you later.

...And that’s probably one of the better Confidant events in the game, totally turning around (for me at least) a character who mainly exists to get rightfully poo poo all over constantly. Mishima’s still not a great person, but he’s a good character, at the very least.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 19, 2018

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

“Cormorant” fishing? According to my incredible internet proficiency, I have discovered that a cormorant is a type of bird, trained by Asian fishermen to catch fish for them. That’s rather quaint.

I've seen the Chinese version in action when I visited Guilin back in 2007. It's pretty cool to watch.

The cormorants have bands tied around their throats that prevent them from swallowing the fish they catch. So a fisherman standing on a narrow bamboo raft with a pole for rowing and guidance lets his bird go and catch fish in the river, then when they return to him with a fish in their mouth, he retrieves it from them, throws the fish in the pen of water he has beneath his raft, then loosens the band to give them a reward.

They're heavy birds too, I got a picture of one perched on my arm that I don't know where it disappeared off to. About the size of your average goose.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

GhostStalker posted:

I've seen the Chinese version in action when I visited Guilin back in 2007. It's pretty cool to watch.

The cormorants have bands tied around their throats that prevent them from swallowing the fish they catch. So a fisherman standing on a narrow bamboo raft with a pole for rowing and guidance lets his bird go and catch fish in the river, then when they return to him with a fish in their mouth, he retrieves it from them, throws the fish in the pen of water he has beneath his raft, then loosens the band to give them a reward.

They're heavy birds too, I got a picture of one perched on my arm that I don't know where it disappeared off to. About the size of your average goose.

they're pretty neat

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 18, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does Japanese slander law really not have a truth defense? In America, truth is an absolute defense against slander and libel. That’s hosed up.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

VanSandman posted:

Does Japanese slander law really not have a truth defense? In America, truth is an absolute defense against slander and libel. That’s hosed up.

Mmm, there's still a case for distributing true but harmful information about someone needlessly or when uncalled for. That's still not okay.

I know in Canada, discussion of someone's criminal record or ongoing cases is illegal, unless it's one of the accepted situations. Such as, a cop can't tell other people who weren't involved that you were charged, or if an employer runs a background check, they can't discuss it with anyone but you/relevant managers

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm not entirely sure about the truth law, but I do know that Japan has (or at least had, not sure if they've made progress since I read about it a few years back) a serious issue when it comes to it's legal system.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Finally caught up to this thread!

Someone bought gotg vol 2 when talking about that pointless Mona arc and now I'm imagining this scene with Mona as Rocket. Now I'm disappointed that it didn't end up like that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find it interesting that what Yusuke is going through right now is probably exactly what Madarame was going through.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm pretty sure Mishima did not say "I'm suck an idiot" But I kind of want to let that stand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Drakenel posted:

I'm pretty sure Mishima did not say "I'm suck an idiot" But I kind of want to let that stand.

Too late you ruined it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Hooray, character development!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 118: 10/1-10/2: Turtlenecks Are Back In Style

Anon: Karmic justice!

What? We’re back to winter uniforms already? Gonna need to get reacquainted with the old turtleneck.

Well, even if the CEO has a change of heart, the company’s image is still in ruins… I imagine their stocks plummeted.
Do you think Okumura really exploited his employees? Every little rumor goes viral these days. What if it was all just a lie? If so, the real victims here are the employees themselves.
Nah, the rumors about Okumura Foods were all well-known in the industry. You’re overthinking it.

Thanks. Well then, let’s step inside the student council room.

His days and his nights are reversed due to his work, so he often sends me a “good morning” late at night...

I’m not sure. I’d definitely tell Eiko if he asked me on a date… But for now things are generally pretty normal. Mostly messages like “how’s your bf” and “hope u had a gr8 day 2day.”

Imagining Makoto trying to pronounce these messages is giving me life.

...Do you think their relationship could actually be serious? Was I just biased to think that all he wants from Eiko is her money?

He’s at best like, what? Early-to-mid twenties? Dating a girl who probably isn’t even eighteen yet? It’s hosed, girl!

I mean, it does sound like a TV show. A lying host that tricks women into debt, then forces them to sell their bodies..

I’ve probably gotten wrapped up in this exact C-tier Substory five or six times at this point with all the Yakuza I’ve played. When’s Kiryu show up to trash this clown?

But… those kinds of things exist in reality as well. Immoral hosts, human trafficking rings… My father even mentioned to me about gangs of men that look specifically for depressed women in Shinjuku… They take advantage of the loneliness those girls feel to force them into horribly abusive situations…. Then after ensuring the girls are buried in crippling debt, they make them sell their bodies to pay it off. There are other ways they force girls into it as well. Blackmail, illegal immigration…

This is getting awful specific, ah geez.

There are countless victims of schemes like that… Countless gangs as well. My father was going after a particularly notorious one when…

A truck!? Sorry, that’s just not where I thought that story was going.

...The impact killed him instantly.

Music: Confession/Secret

At first it was thought to be an accident… But at the funeral, I overheard my father’s supervisor speaking with my sister. He was saying my father had likely been assassinated. They suspected that the gang he was investigating hired the driver…

This seems like an awful complicated method of murder versus using like… a knife or something.

I don’t know. The driver died on impact as well… but apparently they found drugs in his bloodstream.

So, the plan here was get this random driver hopped up on the good poo poo, somehow convince him to get in his truck and ram a pedestrian at enough speed to absolutely kill him, and hope both of them die? Any number of things could have gone wrong here! What if the driver didn’t recognize Mr. Niijima, a man he’s likely never seen before, or killed the wrong dude due to all them drugs? What if he missed? It’s already kind of implausible that he managed to pick a single guy off the street while doing forty or whatever and ram into him. Hell, what if the driver had survived? Then they have a witness, you idiots!

It seems to me like they wanted something that could be framed as an accident, but the circumstances are ridiculously absurd, sorry.

Either way, that gang has been pushed back into the shadows thanks to the Shinjuku clean-up operation… I’m not sure any of that would have happened if not for the incident with my father...

I kind of want to say “That’s a horrible story,” because jesus christ, but I settle on trying to console her with “He was a noble man,” which is almost a worse option in retrospect because I don’t know her father and he was a cop. I justify it to myself by remembering all those times I heard about incidents of Japanese men threatening people with knives or being violently drunk or whatever and the cops showing up and rolling them into a big futon. Man, Japanese cops are way better than American cops (do not @ me about this, I know all cops are bad, and I’m sure there’s some Japanese version of me who thinks Japanese cops suck and American cops rule because of all the murder they get to do).

I wish I could be a little more like him myself… Instead, I’ve just been hesitant. That’s actually why my sister became a prosecutor to begin with. She couldn’t stand by and watch as evil prevailed over justice… That passion undoubtedly came from our father. Our mother passed away many years back, so when father was killed, we had to survive on our own. The responsibility… The pressure of that all fell on my sister. Because of that, she can’t help but talk down on our father at times… She says death is no different than surrender…

“Getting murdered is for the weak, Makoto.”

But… I still look up to him. I was often lonely because of how much time he spent at work… But seeing him tirelessly pursue one case after the next was nothing short of incredible. That was how my father chose to live his life… Trying to bring justice and order to the world around him.

Come to think of it, there was something he used to say to me all the time… “The most important part of your life is how you choose to live it.”

Kind of empty, that.

Hm… ……. How have I chosen to live…? And more importantly, how do I want to live…?

To be honest, I’ve been determined to follow the path my sister laid for me… After my father’s death, I wanted to lighten the burden on her as much as I possibly could… O-Oh, we were supposed to be talking about Eiko here.

Yeah, and you made it all about yourself. Tsk tsk.

Sorry for going so off topic… You know, I’ve never actually talked to anyone about my father. It’s such a painful memory to look back on… But I feel comfortable discussing it with you. And beyond that, I think I understand my life a bit better now… So… thank you.
I can sense a deep bond of trust from Makoto...

Shadow Factorization is kind of a weird throwaway skill that doesn’t seem that handy, but it actually really is. Not having to constantly check enemies’ Analysis pages and knowing exactly which enemies currently have Tetrakarn/Makarakarn up can be incredibly useful.

“Mayb I’ll like, skip college n just get married 2 Tsukasa instead.” I guess she’s choosing how she wants to live too. As long as she’s sure she’ll be happy…

Oh, another message. Huh…? “U serious abt Hamiru-kun?” “Wanna hav a double wedding?”

My heart is set on another, regretfully.

I mean, I couldn’t even begin to think about marriage at this point in my life.

That’s the best method I have of keeping tabs on Eiko and Tsukasa. At any rate thanks for listening to me today. I’ll let you know if anything urgent comes up. See you later.

Gah! Again!?

My apologies for spending so much time here. It’s just such a calming place for me.

Haha, sorry. I will be on my way. One more thing though… I heard a calling card has finally been sent. If the rumors of internal affairs at Okumura Foods are true, their president should surely be judged. However, it should be up to the government or police to do so… This is an unfortunate situation.

It seems they have yet to find anything though… I suppose we will have to see what happens. I must be going now. The coffee was delicious.

On these irregularly broadcast specials, we share limited-edition items that are all the rage! Today we’re going to be talking about the relaxing and therapeutic scent of Refresh Aroma! With its special mix of autumn ingredients, this item has been flying off the shelves.
This is from Body Chop, right? I hope the one in the underground mall in Shibuya still has some.

Big Bang Burger’s in a tough spot, right? Let’s show ‘em some Japanese spirit and lend ‘em a hand!
Look, the Japanese only like to show solidarity when obligated to do so. No one wants to be seen working with a company known to exploit their employees!

Oh, Foreign Barker, your heart’s in the right place, but...

And Yusuke’s ready.

I’m still in shock. I don’t know where to start explaining… There’s other stuff I want to ask you about, too. You’ll request me today, right?

OK, thanks. I’ll head over right away, so just wait for me.

Music: What’s Going On?

Takase-kun’s guardians came to my house today and apologized to me! They told me I won’t have to send them any more money! And that they’ll return everything I paid them. It’s like they’re completely different people… like what happened with Mr. Kamoshida. ...Hey. You wouldn’t be, um…

Anyway, it’s such a relief. They apologized about Takase-kun… and admitted that what they did was terrible. They even told me that I am a good teacher. And so, I decided to really quit my part-time maid job today. I’ve been talking to my boss about it ever since I was hospitalized. It took a while to work out who would cover my shifts. I didn’t want to inconvenience anyone. Now I can finally make a fresh start as a teacher. I can take care of my students and earn their trust. That’s the ideal teacher I aspire to become. I bet I’ll be an old woman by the time I achieve my dreams.

...I was always able to rely on you, Master.

After everything, we’re still doing the “Master” shtick, huh? I thought now that we’re at the end of this we might drop it. Just creeps me out, is all.

You helped me come to a lot of realizations, because you were such a good listener.

This really just means she needed someone to talk at until she came to those realizations herself. I didn’t do poo poo. Well, besides free her from indentured servitude.

Thanks again. ...Oh crap!

GAAAAAAAHHHHH

One last time, eh? Still gets me. It’s not just the hollow, soulless eyes, though. I think a lot of it is the lips, which suddenly become way too prominent. Yeergh.

Today marks the day I graduate from being your maid. ♥

I feel a deepened connection with Kawakami...

Can you handle the cleaning on your own? I’m pretty worried about the state this place is in. I feel like you don’t put much thought into your diet either… Besides, won’t you be lonely? Hm?

But I guess I’m not surprised. It must be so bizarre, having your homeroom teacher in your bedroom.

Phrasing!

But you won’t mind me visiting the cafe area downstairs, right? We can chat over curry.
*nods*
Despite how I am, you never gave up on me. So, as your homeroom teacher, I’ll always protect you. Oh, and of course I’ll keep my initial promise too. The one about slacking off in class. I’ll see you at school!

Huh…? Who could that be at this hour…?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

You have tomorrow off, right? Have any plans? Let’s go see “Back to the Ninja”!

We don’t need any points with Futaba, and the movie gives points in Knowledge, which we’re maxed on. We must therefore regretfully decline.

You’re turning her down? Well, it IS your choice. *yawn* We should go to bed.

Anon: They better not screw it up
Anon: stop fuckin around

They should just execute everyone who causes trouble for society.

Yikes.

Ooh, maybe they could take down my boss!
Politicians who knock the Phantom Thieves are just sore losers.
What about Akechi-kun? Is he too afraid of backlash to comment?

Music: Tokyo Emergency

I’d like to ask them to target some people I know, too. I deal with far too many ignorant fools.

Ah, it’s those ignoramuses who can only insult me after they fail to comprehend my film critiques. Like the Phantom Thieves, I have a policy as well. The masses will never dictate my convictions. Of course, I know I am alone, thinking this way. But such is my destiny, and I humbly accept it.

This guy absolutely posts in Cinema Discusso.

Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Donut-Worry! Eating these mysterious doughy rings soothes the heart! Order now and get 20!
It’s true! Sweets are like a mental tranquilizer!
And it can be yours… for the low price of 1980 yen!

I don’t need this, but also let’s go for it.

Music: Time to Repent

First order of business on this gloomy Sunday is to head over to the church. Why, you ask? Well, there’s something special that happens at the church on Sundays that the game is loath to tell you about.

All of them regain something important by reflecting on their past. By the way… You’ve come at a good time today. We are currently accepting small donations from people who wish to support our church and its work. If you donate, you will receive an item suitable for the amount of your donation.

So, this is the church “shop.” We can get two of the first two items and one each of the latter two.

The Baptismal Water, as you can see, lifts all stat buffs for all foes. The Exorcism Water lifts all debuffs on all allies. The Sacramental Wine fully restores everyone’s HP. The Repentance Ashes heals all ailments on all allies. All of these are quite useful, as most items that have similar effects have either nasty drawbacks or are only single-target. We decide to clean house and buy this place out.

Next, we head over to buy some aojiru we don’t want for a stat we no longer need. We’re also behind a week in the rotation because we fought Okumura last Sunday. Maaku gains Charm +1.

That reminds me, I would like to speak with you and the others. Do you have some free time today?

I would like other opinions as well. I shall send out an invite and see who has time to meet. I wish to do so at Leblanc, if that is all right with you.

Music: Break it Down

Oh hey, what a coincidence, only the pre-Yusuke party members were able to show up! Also, Ryuji brought his manga for some reason.

Boss was even kind enough to serve us coffee before he went shopping… Now then… I have a vital request.
Hit me with your best shot! All the tough problems’re gonna have to go to Maaku though.

Oh, you dick!

Hmm, I can help with any subject that’s not math.
Hm…? Do you two honestly believe I would ask you here for help in my studies…?

Rude, Yusuke.

The truth is, I am planning to display my work in a competition. The one organized by Kawanabe of the Japanese Art Support Foundation. You remember, yes Maaku?

That dude we met two days ago? It’s a little hazy, better refresh my memory.

I must win and prove not only my ability, but my intense passion for art as well. However… I am having quite a bit of trouble determining what my next subject should be. I have given this painting a fair amount of thought, but nothing has come to me yet. Hence… I was hoping to hear your opinions on an ideal subject.

god DAMMIT

Yeah game, how long are you gonna keep bringing that up?

Anyway, maybe you should paint something people find pretty.

Thanks, Ann. You’re a great help.

Hm… So in the end, we return to the concept of beauty. Maaku, what subject do you think would most capture beauty?

I don’t know if the Ann option here is a joke, or if it has nothing to do with the ongoing “stripping” joke, but I’m not picking it. Enough of that gag. Now, the issue is that it’s actually the “correct” option, and picking the one I chose will require us to go to Chihaya a bunch to get more points with Yusuke. Derailing the LP over a minor dialogue choice once again!

Hm? You think Morgana is beautiful…? ...Well, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But honestly… him?

Where have all of my studies gone…?
You know, I’m not really sure what you mean by pure beauty. I mean yeah, it’s a pretty painting. But… I’m not sure I really consider it a pure beauty or whatever.

Christ, Ann! That’s his mom! Show some respect!

Hm…?

Music: Sunset Bridge

I dunno, I guess it just feels more gentle to me. ...Honestly, I almost cried the first time I saw the “Sayuri.” It felt kinda like I was a baby again in my mother’s arms. She was watching over me, telling me everything was gonna be OK… That was the gentleness that painting made me feel.

I assume she’s talking about the first time she saw the “true” Sayuri and not Madarame’s awful-looking paintover because otherwise this makes no sense in reference to motherhood.

...This is coming from someone with absolutely no art knowledge though!

Really? Because it felt like you kinda “got” it.

Gentleness…? That is yet another aspect the “Sayuri” captured that I cannot… ...Is my heart too cloudy?
It ain’t cloudy, dude.
Are you sure about that? Painting used to be all my heart desired… I needed nothing else in life. But now…? What now!? I have become overwhelmed with a need to prove myself to Kawanabe… to prove myself to the world. I looked down on Madarame for focusing so sharply on fame and money, yet I too yearn for the praise of others! In truth, often times I regret declining Kawanabe’s offer…

Again, it was like two days ago. That’s not much time to really regret it.

Maaku’s right, dude. Ain’t nothing wrong about doin’ your best to make a livin’.
And you just want someone to acknowledge your work, right? That’s some serious passion.
But… how can passion be born from these repulsive thoughts…?
Listen here, dude. I was totally like you back on the track team.

Gross, dude.

But, y’know, even through all that… I was tryin’ to help my team out. Sure it’s a solo sport, but nobody’s gonna run ‘til they puke if they don’t got teammates they wanna inspire. I guess what I really wanna say is, you gotta do stuff for people beyond just yourself if you wanna succeed.
Hm… Is that how it is…? ……. So the sincere gentleness held within the “Sayuri”… The warmth of its heart… It was all for the sake of those who gaze upon it…? How interesting…

Huh? Whaddya see!?

It is something that wells up within the heart until it breaks free…! It is a gift, given by a subject unto its viewer…! Yes, I finally see the truth…! The three of you have my sincerest gratitude! You have been a truly tremendous aid!
U-Uh… ...How exactly?

We somehow managed to help Yusuke out…

I dunno, I feel like I generally understand the arc of the conversation and how we managed to help Yusuke, even if Yusuke’s dialogue itself can be pretty loving inscrutable at times.

I feel like my bond with Yusuke is growing deeper...

If you’ll excuse me!

Wait, you’re leaving?

Uhhhhh

He looked pretty inspired though, so he’ll be fine… right? Anyway, are you guys hungry? I might ask Boss to make me something once he gets back. Hm, maybe curry this time.
God, you eat so freakin’ much… Oh yeah, and what was that crap about bein’ good at everything ‘cept math? It ain’t nice to lie, y’know.
I wasn’t lying! It’s just really hard to get good grades at Shujin!
If you’re not gettin’ good grades, you shoulda known Yusuke wasn’t gonna ask you to study with him!

To be fair, you also thought that, Ryuji.

Ann, Ryuji, and I enjoyed the rest of our time together… …… It’s getting late… I should probably take them to the train station…

This is utter chaos.
The public dislike of Okumura has grown exponentially as well. How are you holding up, Haru?
We’ve been receiving anonymous threats almost every day now…
That’s scary...
But our security is tight, so it’s been OK so far.
I believe things will calm down once we finish this, Haru.
And what about us? Are we gonna get all popular and poo poo again?
Let us not concern ourselves with that for now. I only pray that things calm down.

It’s getting nuts out there.

No rank up for Yusuke in the cards today.

Music: Layer Cake

...I got a security escort task for you. This is somethin’ I can only entrust to you.

Oh poo poo! Finally, some real action!

Will you do it?

gently caress yeah I will!

The person you’ll be escorting… is Kaoru. Get dinner with him at that diner in Shibuya.

gently caress.

Now, go. I gotta take car of some business with Tsuda. I’ll be there after I handle that. See ya soon.

And so we’re stuck… babysitting.

You know, it’s pretty rare for him to invite people out like this. He must see something in you, Hamiru-san. I doubt he’d ever actually admit it though… …… By the way, um… has he said anything to you? About me… weighing him down?

...To be honest, he’s been acting super weird recently. More than anything, he seems stressed out. I’ve even heard him mentioning my name on the phone a few times… But then every time I’ve gone to ask him about it, he’s told me there’s nothing to worry about. I dunno, it just makes me anxious somehow… I mean, we’re supposed to be a family. …… I’m not sure if you know this, but… he’s not my real father. He just took me in after my parents died in a car crash. Apparently he was a good friend of theirs.

Well, it’s at least an interesting lie.

Honestly, I can’t remember a single thing about them… …… I wonder if my dad even considers me to be a part of his family…

You think so…? ……. Now that I think about it, um… have you ever seen his tattoo?

The gecko on his neck.

Oh, you mean his sick gang tat—poo poo

The truth is, I have a really bad scar in the same spot from my parents’ car crash.

Hmm… I don’t see poo poo. Either someone was lazy, or forgot, or the model team was fighting with the writers because of all the incidental character models in this loving game and this was their one act of rebellion! ...It’s probably just the first one.

Back when I was a kid, everyone picked on me for it. My dad would always come home to find me in tears.

My god, children are cruel. Kill all children, that’s what I always say. …Shinya can live. Maybe.

That’s why he got that tattoo. He said it could be the new Iwai family crest. Oh, and I did some research on geckos. It turns out they symbolize protecting one’s home and family. I had almost forgotten about that, to be honest. Maybe he cares about me more than I realize…

We don’t often get to see Iwai from the left, so holy poo poo that giant peace sign on his jacket caught me by surprise.

You two look like you’re havin’ fun. What’ve you been talkin’ about?

Guess there’re worse things you could be talkin’ about though. Wait… did you get a girlfriend, Kaoru?
Th-That’s not what we were talking about!
Anyways, I can’t stay long. I’ve got errands I need to take care of. Figured it’d be nicer to at least drop by instead of tell you over the phone.
What errands? ...Or can you not tell me?
What’s that s’posed to mean? It’s just work stuff. (to Maaku) Ain’t that right?

Order anythin’ you want. It’s on me!
O-OK...

Ix-nay in front of Aoru-kay, genius.

I’m goin’ now to meet with the guy who set it all up. I’ll have to fill you in on the details some other time. Anyways, this is all thanks to you, kid. It’s real nice havin’ a reliable part-timer to help ‘round the shop.
It feels like my bond with Iwai is growing even deeper...

Dangerous? ‘Course not. Well, I’m outta here. You can hang onto my wallet, Kaoru. Eat as much as you want.
See you at home…
Kaoru and I ate dinner together...

It was unbelievably awkward!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Drugging your assassin while he's on the job sounds like a poor plan.

House guests.jpg

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 21, 2018

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
It depends on how much drugs we're talking about. If it's enough, even if they survived, the driver -- assuming that he wasn't just strapped into the seat with a brick holding down the accelerator -- might have been too far out of it to tell the police anything about what happened.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Look, Jimmy loves his coke. And sometimes, he loves his coke a little too much and goes for a drive in his really big and heavy truck. And sometimes, Jimmy drives his big and heavy truck into a dumbass pig who should really learn to keep his loving mouth shut about the boss's olive oil business.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Waitwaitwait. The church had the good poo poo hidden behind a sunday!? gently caress me! I need that stuff immediately...when I get a PS4 copy of P5...and I actually play it...I have a massive backlog...don't loving look at me like that!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

TheDavies posted:

It depends on how much drugs we're talking about. If it's enough, even if they survived, the driver -- assuming that he wasn't just strapped into the seat with a brick holding down the accelerator -- might have been too far out of it to tell the police anything about what happened.

I was going to suggest the drugs were meant for plausible deniability if he was forced to confess. My guess was that he took too much and lost control after the accident. It seems more plausible that it went down this way to look more like an accident and not raise suspicions as a hit.

btw, the wait for the end of this chapter is killing me!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
A truck accident? Makoto, no no no, your father was reincarnated as someone else in a generic fantasy world with overpowered abilities. Poor girl, that's a fate worse than death.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

McTimmy posted:

A truck accident? Makoto, no no no, your father was reincarnated as someone else in a generic fantasy world with overpowered abilities. Poor girl, that's a fate worse than death.

As much as I hate the genre, I would probably unironically read an isekai about a detective who brings police procedure with him and arrests all the bad fantasy creatures.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Leraika posted:

As much as I hate the genre, I would probably unironically read an isekai about a detective who brings police procedure with him and arrests all the bad fantasy creatures.

It'd probably read like Sir Sam Vimes that knows modern procedure, though that's still miles better than Isekais.

It's criminal there's potential to go all kinds of directions, and it's almost always used for gross people who want a harem of loli slaves and instant win-powers

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Leraika posted:

:same:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Leraika posted:

I never knew I needed this so badly until this moment.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One thing I'm curious on, but has Futaba been keeping tabs on Maaku even from the start? I mean, she has to know that her weird adoptive brother's been hiring his teacher as his own personal maid, right?

Arist posted:

That’s actually why my sister became a prosecutor to begin with. She couldn’t stand by and watch as evil prevailed over justice… That passion undoubtedly came from our father. Our mother passed away many years back, so when father was killed, we had to survive on our own. The responsibility… The pressure of that all fell on my sister. Because of that, she can’t help but talk down on our father at times…

I don't know if it was intentional, but this feels like a rehash of the Suou brothers plot from Persona 2. The biggest difference being that the part where their father was killed was actually integrated in the main plot, and that Katsuya is an actual mature adult who isn't an awful person to his sibling and everyone around him.

Arist posted:

But… I still look up to him. I was often lonely because of how much time he spent at work… But seeing him tirelessly pursue one case after the next was nothing short of incredible. That was how my father chose to live his life… Trying to bring justice and order to the world around him.

I'm a little concerned that the way Makoto's idolizing her father here would mean her S.Link would end with her wanting to be a cop herself. I mean, considering how the game's not been subtle that cops are bad, I really hope this won't end like that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The game's position is less All Cops Are Bad and more All lovely AdultsTM Who Abuse Their Authority Are Bad.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Funky Valentine posted:

The game's position is less All Cops Are Bad and more All lovely AdultsTM Who Abuse Their Authority Are Bad.
I believe what you meant to say was Rotten Adults.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012

Here's something close to what you want: https://mangadex.org/manga/19856/isekai-houtei-rebuttal-barrister

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Leraika posted:

Christ, now I want to read this.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
what a weird way to want the witcher again

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 119: 10/3-10/5: The Dumbest Girl In The Universe

I saw a lot of errors on the previous test, so please be more careful in the future.

Today’s examples will be on your entrance exam, so make sure you know them.

She usually looks so tired…
I talked to her this morning about my future… and she was super polite. Friendly, even.
Yeah, I know what you mean. She even gave me advice about my girlfriend.
Now that she’s back on her feet, Kawakami seems to be working hard as a teacher...

Kawakami’s rested and reinvigorated. Good for her.

Music: So Boring

Stealing hearts? Social reform? Don’t give me this Phantom Thieves nonsense. It’s all so unscientific. I mean, how could they target Big Bang Burger and Okumura Foods? They’re criminals! That artificially consummate flavor… Enough volume to fill a small universe.

I see Mr. Hiruta went to the Code Talker school of burger appreciation.

Are the Phantom Thieves trying to steal the galaxy called junk food from me!? That said… Hamiru-kun. The night sky may be filled with countless galaxies… but in the entire universe, which of these is closest to its density of stars.

Imagining three watermelons in the sun is giving me a right chuckle, I tell you what.

Hehe. I expected as much out of you. Yes. The correct answer is three watermelons in the sun. Three bees in the whole of Europe works too. In other words, the universe is essentially empty. There are countless stars in the sky, but the universe is even more vast than that. Even within our galaxy, the stars are separated by a great distance even though you can see so many.

How bleak. Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Close, but yet far… Hehe, you could say the same of our hearts.
Ugh, if he only knew the places we’ve been…

And no rank up.

I’m getting worried about the public’s reaction to all this.

You’re going to train today too, right?

Okaaay… Let’s just play a game then.

Sounds like they had another success, huh? That’s cool.

It’s probably because they think I’m weak. If only I was as strong as the Phantom Thieves…

Hah, my bad. I didn’t mean it like that. I just thought we should be friends, since we’re both gamers. The name’s Takekuma. I make a living from gaming, more or less. Ever heard of me?

...Yeah, you’re the guy from all those videos online!

And you’re the one they call the King, right? I’ve always wanted to play you… But I don’t know if it’s a good idea… I mean, if I beat you, your rank will definitely drop. And I don’t need people bashing me for beating a kid.

That’s it! We’re playing! I won’t lose!
As I expected of the King… OK, let’s get this started.

Christ, look at Takekuma. What is that hand supposed to be, a scouter? What a fuckin’ dork.

Also, shout out to this lady, reading her phone over someone else’s shoulder:

And this dude, trying to cop a feel:

How…?
The King is getting destroyed…
That’s Takekuma, isn’t it? He’s awesome!

I missed!?

...Th-That doesn’t count! Let’s play again!
You got it.

The King got slaughtered! Ha! That’s hilarious!
One more… One more game!
No matter how many times we play, the end result will be the same. We should probably stop, for your sake.
Shut up! You cheated, didn’t you!?

Cheer on the child throwing a tantrum! This is a good idea!

Man… I guess the King is just a little kid after all… Looks like I overestimated your ability. I’d feel bad beating you again, so I’m going to go. Make sure you practice for the next time we play.

You’ve gotta be kidding me…

Maybe encouraging him in this situation isn’t the greatest plan, but I feel kinda bad. He’s just a kid.

I’m the one who’s gonna win in the end! If I lose, it’s all over for me!

I’m gonna beat him next time for sure. This isn’t over. The strongest always win in the end. Just like the Phantom Thieves… Watch, I’ll win for sure next time! I’m not a loser, you’ll see!
Shinya is more motivated than ever before...

That’s not necessarily a good thing. I may be grooming a young Eric Cartman in the making.

...Crap, it’s late. I gotta go… Man, that Takekuma though! Telling me to practice for next time… A grown-up shouldn’t spend so much time playing video games!

I feel personally attacked.

Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased…

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Oh hey, we maxed out Kindness while we’re at it. Nice.

...Today tired me out. I’ll see ya later…

Hey Sojiro, I hung out with a kid today and he was such a poo poo that I basically turned into the loving Buddha incarnate! I can help you with your problem now!

We get the 20 Donut-Worrys. They cure Fear.

...Criminal Affairs, OCD, 5th Organized Crime Countermeasures Section, Special Task Force.
...Oh, so you’re a cop, huh?
The heck? That’s like a tongue twister. Does he have to say all that in every episode?

Music: Crossroads

OK… Sit down.

All my connections who knew where Kayo was are gone, thanks to the chief and my publisher… ...Well, say something.

Well, I guess it is pretty obvious. *sigh* Pulling all these consecutive all-nighters is really wearing me down.
At this rate, you’re going to work yourself to death. You’ve been meeting your quota, right?

The chief really wants me to mess up, but I’m not going to give him the satisfaction. Haha…
He’s like some kinda tyrant.
Tell me about it. It’s a race to see whether I can find Kayo before he crushes me…
That’s not good! Shouldn’t you do something about the chief before you keep chasing Kayo-chan’s case?
There’s nothing I can do about a guy like that. He’s rotten to the core. And despite how he acts, the higher-ups like him. I have no one to go to. It’s over.
Yeah, he didn’t seem like the kind of guy to change his mind… But at this rate, you won’t be able to continue your investigation… What do you think, kid?

I need to do something about the chief and help her...
Ughhh, I’m gonna die…

Why? You gonna try to find his weakness? His name is Shinpei Honjo. I heard that he’s a good husband, and he used to cover economic foreign policy…

Don’t go trying anything heroic.
She’s saying this for your own good. Got it, kid?
I wonder where Kayo is… Sorry, but I don’t feel like getting any info from you today…

Uhh, with your quota as it is, can you really afford not to ask me anything?

Thanks for coming all the way out here though. I’ll see you around…
I need to free Ohya from her chief’s oppressive demands...

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

C’mon, they aren’t gonna murder him. Besides, I’m pretty sure the principal killed himself.

Student #2 here is named “Slightly-appalled Guy” and I love it.

No way, that was the Phantom Thieves sending a message! “Wake up, people. It’s time to atone!” Or something like that. I’d kill for that kind of power…

Light Yagami here just openly admitting he wants the power to murder people.

Today, we decide that if Ann’s not going to have an SP Adhesive 3, she can at least have better Fire on the off-chance we use her, so we visit the accessory shop 37 Degrees Celsius in the underground mall.

Do you think you could maybe come with me to see her?

Thank you. It is reassuring to know you’ll be there with me. She’s waiting over at Big Bang Burger. Let’s go.

Well, um… I was wondering if you could maybe lend me some cash.

Ah poo poo.

It’s nothing real major, but I need it like, right now… I’ll pay you back though, honest! Pleeease!

Makoto and Maaku turn to each other, then look back at Eiko.

...Does this have to do with Tsukasa?
Mm-hm… He dropped a super expensive bottle of sake at work, so the club’s making him pay for it… but he needs help.

Oldest trick in the book.

...He’s lying to you, Eiko. Don’t give him any money.
He’s not lying! I know you’re all weird about the fact that he’s a host, but my Tsukasa’s not like that! He’s really gentle, and honest too… He even calls me “princess”! I’m the only one he says that to, y’know. He says it’s ‘cause I’m special.
So he calls you his special princess… What do you think, Maaku-kun?

Every girl who gives him money is his “princess.” That way he can never get their names mixed up.
Don’t accuse him of that stuff! You don’t have any proof!
...You’re not wrong about that. But did you ask anyone at his club about the broken bottle?
W-Well, um… no… He told me not to talk to them about it though! He’s too proud to have me go crying to his boss.

Man, this girl’s dumb.

...Please, Makoto. You’re the only person I can trust. All my other friends would rather focus on cram school and entrance exams than take time to help me… And who knows what my parents’d say if I tried to ask them… Please. Even a little…
...I think you should end your relationship with him. If you don’t put a stop to this, he might try to drag you into some suspicious line of work.
Oh, he already got me a job. It’s nothing weird though. I’m just serving drinks at a bar to help him pay off that broken bottle. He said I’ll be number one in no time. Maybe I’ll just keep doing it after I graduate high school though. I mean, it’s not like I’m gonna go to college.

Man, this girl’s duuuuuuuuumb.

You can’t just do what he says! He’s trying to deceive you…!
...A smart person like you totally wouldn’t understand what it’s like. You’re just gonna go to a good college, work at a fancy company, and then what? At the end of the day, your life’s gonna be totally boring. I mean, is that seriously how you wanna live?
I… I’m not sure yet. But be that as it may, you should still stay as far away from him as you can.
...So you’re not gonna help me? Ugh, just forget it. I can make it up if I just let some customers take me out on dates after work.

Jesus christ!

Eiko, wait! I didn’t want to have to tell you this, but Tsukasa has been texting me almost constantly. Recently, he’s been asking if my sister and I live alone, and that he’d be glad to help us out. Even today he asked me if I’m still happy with my boyfriend… Listen to me, Eiko: He’s not serious about you.
Don’t gimme that crap! Tsukasa’s just so nice that he’d worry about my friends for me… Wait, you were texting him behind my back? What the hell, Makoto!?
It was mostly him texting me…
Ugh! You have the grades, the looks, a cool boyfriend… and you seriously still want more!?

Thank you for the compliment! I think you’re swell too!

Tsukasa is all I have…! You can’t take him from me!

Yeah right. Just keep your hands off! I’d never forgive him if you stole him away, Makoto…!

You know, I think she’s exactly the kind of girl those gangs in Shinjuku are on the lookout for. Lonely, depressed girls who have nowhere to vent their frustrations…

What is it with this city and its sea of predators lying in wait to victimize women, monetarily or otherwise?

Eiko’s family is quite well off. Her multi-talented younger brother seems to be the sole focus of her parents’ attention though. I’m sure that’s why she fell for Tsukasa in the first place. He treats her like she’s special. But… asking a high schooler for money isn’t normal boyfriend behavior. She needs to realize that. You’re going to help, right?

*nods*
Eiko’s blessed to have both money and a family… yet she’s still trying to break free from them. She’s almost the exact opposite of me. ...But I guess in a sense, watching her now is almost like looking back at my past self. I was so blinded by my own convictions that I never stopped to consider other alternative viewpoints on the world. But… that’s not the right way to live. I want to show her that, just like you did for me.
I can sense a deep bond of trust from Makoto...

I know she wants me to stay out of her business, but I’d never forgive myself if I let this come to pass. …… What is the right way to live…? ...At any rate, we’re going to catch that horrible host. I’ll let you know once I’ve thought of how to do it. Thank you again for today. I’ll see you later.

Their influence has expanded beyond Japan—even foreign nations know about the Phantom Thieves. Some countries are even taking bets about what the Phantom Thieves will do next.
They even knew about us in Hawaii, right? We’ve really gotten famous.

Finally, Yusuke’s ready. And it only took an extra 15k after we intentionally picked the wrong option!

There’s something I’d like to talk about. The ADP case is more complicated than I thought… *sigh* What am I going to do…?

I’ve been trying to use this as an opportunity to investigate into the ADP’s seminars so I can expose him… But the deeper I dig, the scarier everything becomes.

The ADP apparently doesn’t profit at all from sales of the Holy Stones. It’s nothing more than a front.

Wait, so not only is this organization somehow not managing to profit off of selling hunks of rock salt for 100k a piece, it’s only a side business? Why in the hell are they so insistent about her selling more of these giant pieces of nothing if they don’t tangibly benefit from it in any way?

Most of their revenue actually comes from the seminars.

Self-help’s a lucrative business, man. Why work to improve yourself when you can have someone talk at you until you feel like you’re doing something to improve yourself?

There, they give their patrons some sort of mind-altering drug…

That took a turn! Holy poo poo!

After which, they’re encouraged to donate their life’s savings to the “benefit of the ADP.” People have gone missing after seminars… Families have been torn apart by this madness…

This is like an unholy amalgamation of five or six different conspiracy theories about cults, many of which have little factual basis but are just kind of fun to think about in a scary way, so they endure. I actually took a class recently on the subject of cults and new religions in general, and while I think the teacher may have been a bit too even-handed on the subject when most of us really just wanted to hear about the gnarly poo poo like the sick fucks we are, I learned a lot. Brainwashing’s not really a thing, for one, and brainwashing facilitated by mind-altering chemicals is just hilarious nonsense.

I’m pretty sure Scientology is still a scam, though, I don’t care what she said. Speaking of scams, back to Chihaya’s Kooky Kult! (Khihaya? No, that doesn’t work)

And I… I was a part of it all. By selling these fraudulent stones, I was in direct support of their horrible actions.

In what way? It’s still unclear.

I know this doesn’t make up for what I’ve done… but I want to help the others come to their senses. Barely anyone within the ADP will talk to me though, and those who do won’t actually hear me out. What should I do, Hamiru-san…? These people are all heading down a path toward great ruin…

Right. I’ll just have to admit to everything that’s been going on, even if I get dragged down too… That’s… the only way…
It looks like Chihaya’s not sure how to approach this issue… She might do something rash at this rate… I should take care of the chairman before that happens…
I’m the only one who can stop him… right?

Oh, the chairman…? It’s Yuichi Fukurai. Why do you ask…?

I love just picking the most suspicious responses possible. “I can’t tell you because then you’ll be an accessory.”

O-Oh…

My future is in line with that of the Trickster… What does that mean…? Even so, my fate remains unchanged. I am destined to stay a monster… Hm…
I need to take care of the chairman for Chihaya…

I’ll have to think on this for a while. Let’s finish for today… Well then, goodbye…

The day Haru’s going to get sent off is almost here… We took the Treasure, so all we have to do is wait. Still, I wish we could do something in the meantime. Why don’t we go to Mementos today?

I don’t waaaaaanna.

You have something else to do? Well, I won’t force you. If the president has a change of heart, maybe our reputation will go up and we’ll get more requests. So I want to get the requests we currently have out of the way at least.

Music: My Homie

...Ahem. Ms. Usami, please come to the faculty office at once.
...What could it be? ...Everyone, make sure to study on your own while I go to the faculty office.

How does it take so long to go to the faculty office?

We’ve unfortunately already maxed Kindness, but we need to finish this book anyway.

Did you want me to call you “Chief” now? I’m just kidding.

No, do it.

Did you learn more about chiefs and their big hearts? Even in the underworld, there’s kindness…

Maaku gains Kindness +3, which is really +4 because it’s one of the longer books.

And Shinya’s ready.

Hey, you know how I said I was gonna take the world by storm with my modeling? Well, I was thinking of getting in shape first. And who better to help with that than Ryuji, right? He said he’d be glad to train with me. What about you, Maaku? Do you wanna join us?

All right, let’s go work up a sweat! It’s pretty close by. Oh, and I’ll let Ryuji know.

Oh poo poo! A Confidant interaction acknowledged! Perhaps the only time in the entire game that’ll happen!

It’s pretty sweet, huh? Not too many people gettin’ in your way. Anyways, uh… what’re you tryin’ to do here?

Huh. You tried joggin’?
Aerobics alone aren’t enough! I want to tone up too, so I need to start lifting weights. Plus my shoulders are drooping, I wanna make my biceps leaner, and I need to straighten my back out!

Uh, what the hell’s that even supposed to mean…? Anyways, motivation’s good n’ all, but you’re not gonna be able to move tomorrow if you do all that poo poo.
Then you come up with a training regimen for me.
Ugh, you’re such a pain.

There are many things I find offputting about this pose, but the one that sticks out right now is the way her hand clips through her sweatpants.

Quit thinkin’ you’re some sexy character in an anime. It’s sad watchin’ you like this.

First off, one of them sexy characters’d never come to the gym in their PE uniform.

This failed seduction is one of the best character beats in the entire game, and makes me like both characters way more. It’s a shame the animated cutscene leadtime led to Ryuji just being Horny All The Time in those because it’s way more interesting to see him like this, rejecting her attempts to play him because he knows her too well.

How am I supposed to know that!? I’ve never even been to the gym before today!

Huh…? It fell through? Yeah… Uh, I guess that’s OK… Mm-hm…

It was a black-and-white shoot, so they said I wouldn’t stand out. It sounded like fun though. It was about the everyday life of models…
Guess you just gotta find somewhere you do stand out then.
Huh… There has to be somewhere my vibrant charm will shine, right!?

Uh, where…?

Hey, speakin’ of magazines, there was a real pretty girl in that one you said you were starrin’ in. She’s got this innocent vibe, but she’s sexy too. Now that’s what real charm looks like to me.
...Were there photos of me too?
Uh, yeah.
...And did she have long, brown hair?
Yup, that’s the one! You know her!? You gotta introduce me, dude!

Ahahahahahaha

Of all the girls you could have been talking about, it just HAD to be Mika! Urghhhh, I’m so pissed!

Come on, which machine are we using first!? I’m gonna break it!
The three of us trained until we had reached our limits…

But for some reason… I feel… satisfied…
That’s what workin’ hard feels like. Not bad, huh?
Yeah, that was actually… pretty fun. I think it was because the two of you were here with me. I had to prove I was working extra hard.
It’s simple stuff like that that’ll help you keep pushin’.

Dude, cut me some slack!
You thought you were being so cool too…

I actually thought it was pretty cool and don’t know why that option was even there, but far be it from me to ignore an opportunity to dunk on Ryuji.

Mom forgot to buy stuff for dinner, so I guess I gotta head home now. Seeya, guys.

...I’m actually a little jealous of the relationship they have.

I mean even growing up, my parents were super busy. They always told me I was strong, that I’d be fine on my own. I was free… but I was lonely. I’d make friends, but we moved a lot… and every time, I had to start all over again. I actually got used to the loneliness… But all that changed once I met Shiho… The world seemed so hopeful…
*nods*
I heard her rehab is going well… She’s going to be officially transferring schools soon too… I need to show her that I’m working hard… and that she doesn’t need to worry so much about me.

She needs to see how much I’ve learned from her…!
I can sense a strong resolve from Ann...

Come on, let’s head home. ...I might have trouble moving though. My legs are killing me.

Well, see you later.

Nothing, unfortunately. Father is still indisposed.
How are things with you, Haru? Has anything happened with the media?
I hope they haven’t been horrible to you.
Thank you. They will surely say a great deal about my father, but I am determined to push through it.
Society doesn’t care what may be going on as long as it is enough to kill their perpetual boredom. They don’t even consider how their words may hurt others.
They think caring about people is someone else’s job. It makes me wanna puke.

Man, the people we’re doing this all for sure are shitheads!

There’s nothing we can do about that though. And… everything they say about Father is true.
But it’s important to remember there was someone else in the shadows behind the shutdowns.

Yeah. It’s gonna be a hella good victory when we expose that criminal for who he really is.
We’ll have plenty of time to ask him about it then.
The one behind the mental shutdowns… It has to be someone dangerous. Now that we’re getting closer to the truth, we need to be ready for absolutely anything.

The popularity of phantom thieves is as strong as ever. More people are becoming fans every day. Some, however, might be going too far with comments like, “I want them to destroy all evildoers.”
I’m glad that we have fans, but not if they’re genuine fanatics.

Music: Time to Repent

And so… Oh, do you have some time? ...I’m feeling a bit anxious.

Thank you… ...After I confessed, I was scorned by the media. I bet everyone wants me to lose. However, I’m not going to give them the satisfaction. I’m going to win… with these very hands.

I will! Well, it’s time. I have to go to the venue. You won’t be able to go inside the match room, but you can watch over the internet, if you’d like. Well then, I’m off.

The men at the table in the background, a journalist and his editor, discuss the match.

She’s getting pushed back quite a bit. It’s only a matter of time now…
Hifumi is biting her lip. She doesn’t seem to be doing so well...

There’s a large commotion throughout the room.

Perhaps her skills ARE of genuine article?
Oh, no, that’s not good. The next move will surely result in checkmate.
Hifumi looks troubled as she’s being pushed around the board… She hasn’t made a move…
I’m thinking “Phony Princess, Real Defeat” as the headline for our next article.

It was as if an ant had challenged an elephant. A shogi player should know her limits.

I was so ashamed of myself. I didn’t want to hurt the pieces any longer…

One must lose with grace… With dignity until the very end, as a queen should… But I confess I am confused… I mean, naturally I am disappointed that I lost… ...But I still feel happy… as if a demon has been purged from me. The moment I realized that victory was impossible… I felt a strange peace. What’s important is what I do from this point on… I played so disgracefully in front of you… Perhaps you can just view it as an example of what not to do… ...And understand that there are times which require one to forfeit with valor and grace.
I feel Hifumi’s trust in me…

Touryou lets us instantly escape any normal battle. We already had the ability from an earlier skill of Hifumi’s to escape from ambushes instantly, but this extends that to everything. It’s useful even if you’ll pretty much never run from a fight, especially at this late stage of the game.

Um, I’ve been thinking about this for a while… Let’s make today your last lesson…

What?

Spending time with me has only brought you pain…
Hifumi is thinking hard...

This message appears when we arrive at a crucial dialogue option. I’m sure you all know what I mean by “crucial”: girlfriend time. During each Rank 9 Confidant event with a romanceable Confidant, we may get this popup, meaning we have to pick the right option or set of options to start dating that girl. We didn’t see it with Kawakami last update because I decided not to even entertain that option and picked a choice that bypassed the process entirely. Also, yes, Kawakami was dateable, gently caress me.

...So this is goodbye.

...Shame we won’t be picking her romance option. Part of me wishes Hifumi had actually won, but it seems it was not to be.

The things you say sometimes… Perhaps I should take a lesson from that ambitious nature of yours…

There may be things I can learn from you as well. I suppose this is a friendly rivalry for both of us… as irreplaceable shogi friends. Well then, let’s go home…

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 28, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AAAAAAHHH, THAT TAKEKUMA IS GIVING ME SUCH A HEADACHE!!!!!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Just so you know, Ann's line of "All right, let’s go work up a sweat! It’s pretty close by. Oh, and I’ll let Ryuji know." has her headshot replaced with a repeat of the accessory store screen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grinnblade posted:

Just so you know, Ann's line of "All right, let’s go work up a sweat! It’s pretty close by. Oh, and I’ll let Ryuji know." has her headshot replaced with a repeat of the accessory store screen.

I don't ever say it, but thanks to everyone who calls these out for doing so, it's to everyone's benefit because I just can't catch everything.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I don't ever say it, but thanks to everyone who calls these out for doing so, it's to everyone's benefit because I just can't catch everything.

No problem although you appear to have caught it as I was posting anyway.

I love how a lot of the Confidants have clearly figured out you have SOMETHING to do with the Phantom Thieves and just decide to not pressure you about it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Two questions:

1) why the gently caress can you date kawakami
2) Will you be showing off what the other relationships result in? I want to see how much of a trash fire Kawakami's is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kith posted:

Two questions:

2) Will you be showing off what the other relationships result in? I want to see how much of a trash fire Kawakami's is.

1) This is a game for horny teenage boys. I love it, but it's true.
2) Possibly. Not immediately, at any rate.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

Hey Sojiro, I hung out with a kid today and he was such a poo poo that I basically turned into the loving Buddha incarnate! I can help you with your problem now!

ShinyaConfidant.png

Also I fully admit to having wooed kawakami in my playthrough, I have no words to express how much of a manchild I can be. Also something something JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kith posted:

Two questions:

So far there's four grown women we can 'date' that we've met. Kawakami is one, yes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Drakenel posted:

So far there's four grown women we can 'date' that we've met. Kawakami is one, yes.

what

I don't actually know who all you can date and I don't trust my google fu to find the information myself without spoilers, would you mind sharing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Seems likely you can date pretty much any female confidant.