Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Megasabin posted:

You sort of acknowledge this, but that's totally just you. The big jokes very much landed for most of the people who saw the movie, so it's not really case of Leitch being bad at comedy, as much as his style just not jiving with you.

I think you said you didn't find the X-force death scene funny, and I think most people are calling it the best scene in the movie. In the 100% packed theater I saw it in everyone was laughing harder than I've heard in a long time. It seems that the general consensus of this thread as well.

Our theater's biggest hit was baby legs Deadpool, which I think has been echoed a few times by others.

Second place was probably the final mid-credit scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The X-Force death sequence would have been funnier without cutting to Deadpool riffing after every one.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the riffing was very comic book deadpool. i could imagine those shots as panels with deadpool commenting on each one. it worked for me

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

the riffing was very comic book deadpool. i could imagine those shots as panels with deadpool commenting on each one. it worked for me

If you weren't so Sly you might be a Deadpool character

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Movie was meh

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

As someone who thought the first movie was so-so, this movie completely blew the first one out of the water. The end credit scenes is when our audience lost their poo poo laughing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Turning Domino black with a white vitiligo eye was a great idea. Was there any serious backlash from nerds about that this time round?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Turning Domino black with a white vitiligo eye was a great idea. Was there any serious backlash from nerds about that this time round?

Probably. Change the color of a comic book costume one shade off in the movie and somebody is bound to lose their poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

davidspackage posted:

Not serious, but nerds are angry still.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Some people were a bit pissy, but when the trailers hit I think most people got sold on it.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Only having mid-credit stingers and no true after-credit stinger was a good gag, I had multiple people loudly bitch about waiting for nothing at my showing.

Waiting for nothing? They would have missed the Juggernaut's song!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EKDS5k posted:

Did they use that version during the credits or the choir only version??

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Heh, they made a super dramatic choir song for the big confrontation, to make fun of how other comic book movies did that, I get it, I understand this."

"Hang on, are they singing in English?"

"Hahahaha"

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 21, 2018

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did they use that version during the credits or the choir only version??

I think that's the same as the one I linked. Now that you mention it though, I thought the one at the end of the credits had the Juggernaut by name in it, but the youtube version doesn't mention him.

davidspackage posted:

"Heh, they made a super dramatic choir song for the big confrontation, to make fun of how other comic book movies did that, I get it, I understand this."

"Hang on, are they singing in English?"

"Hahahaha"

Did it play during the final confrontation? I am super bad at catching music while I'm watching movies.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, at least parts of it played during the Juggy fight, but it was kind of subtle with all the other sound effects going off. That reply above was my thought process. "Is that choir singing... holy poo poo?"

edit: forgetting spoiler tags, sorry. Editing them back in.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 21, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

EKDS5k posted:

I see a link to the Marvel Strike Force game on the, but the image is now about a dozen Deadpools.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The best music joke in the movie was the take me on music video parody because it was such a subtle joke in the most otherwise serious part of the movie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was good and definitely a worthy sequel. While almost everything was better than the first film (visuals, amount of rad characters) I think I still laughed more at that one. Some stuff like the "holy crapping tittyfuckballs" or whatever lines is getting a little stale now. Not a fan of them killing off Vanessa, especially because they seem to want it to be a genuine emotional moment and it doesn't work in a movie like this, kinda like all the "OMG SHE WON'T LOVE ME NOW I'M UGLY" stuff from the first one. They barely even make fun of it outside of the credits. But baby legs and ripping in half and X-Force deaths and cameos and stuff like that was all amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I thought the jokes in this one were worse than the original

nah.

Escobarbarian posted:

Some stuff like the "holy crapping tittyfuckballs" or whatever lines is getting a little stale now.

there was a lot more of that in the first one, which is why this one was funnier.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The best music joke in the movie was the take me on music video parody because it was such a subtle joke in the most otherwise serious part of the movie

:lol: I loved that part.

This movie is solid as hell. It felt like the ultra violence was turned down a bit but then you have scenes where Deadpool is ripped in half. The music queues were 100% on point and well used.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: I loved that part.

This movie is solid as hell. It felt like the ultra violence was turned down a bit but then you have scenes where Deadpool is ripped in half. The music queues were 100% on point and well used.

Dubstep forever!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My top favorite things are
1) X Force getting whacked
2) Celion Dion Bond Opening, this is better MGS3 song opening.
3) Domino, I can't tell if I like she because she is really charismatic, or hot, or the writing is good. Maybe its her hair.

Honorable mention, Cable's weapon system. Yeah I am a nerd.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
my favorite part of the movie is when Wade made Colossus say “gently caress”

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Slightly Absurd posted:

yeah, it's a real shame about Terry Crews. That dude is loving hilarious and was completely wasted in this movie. The only thing I remember him doing is parroting the Xmen "Trainee" line, even though as far as I could tell, he shouldn't or couldn't have known that

I was also kinda upset about another spoiler that someone touched on earlier
[Captain Obvious] we really don't get much into Cable's backstory. As far as I could tell, he's just a dude from the future with a grudge against a nerd. I think it could've been a fun note for Cable to talk about his powers only to have Deadpool cut him off for comedic effect.

But I feel like they very deliberately withheld exactly how strong Cable is for a future movie.[/captain obvious]

The preview screening I went to had a quick clip of Deadpool reminding the audience not to share spoilers before the embargo date, don't record any footage of the movie, and also not to look up Cable's backstory at all because it's complete nonsense, so I don't think they'll elaborate much more on his past.

Henker
May 5, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

The preview screening I went to had a quick clip of Deadpool reminding the audience not to share spoilers before the embargo date, don't record any footage of the movie, and also not to look up Cable's backstory at all because it's complete nonsense, so I don't think they'll elaborate much more on his past.
In fairness, they're right. Cable has the dumbest, most convoluted backstory of any comic book character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CharlestonJew posted:

and also not to look up Cable's backstory at all because it's complete nonsense, so I don't think they'll elaborate much more on his past.

He's happy to talk about it in interviews :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ONlEK2jITI&t=21s

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

^^^ Agreed. If I have any real complaint, that's it.^^^^

Hal Jordan is kind of weird. He's an example of an archetype which used to be super ubiquitous in all 50-60's science fiction dramas, but has pretty much ceased to exist since then: the Coldly Rational Masculine Hotshot Guy. Watch almost any black and white episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and you'll see this character, usually turning a chiseled jaw up into the sky and holding his love interest at arm's length as the last flying saucer crashes into the background, before ending the film by saying "Yes, but at what cost? At. What. Cost?" He's never an academic scientist but he's often a technician, he's rarely a soldier, but he's usually military-adjacent, like a test pilot or merchant sailor. The CRMHG is intelligent but not nerdy, risk-taking but not pleasure-seeking, and sexlessly chauvinistic and woman-hating and just generally possessing no real ability to connect with women on any level, except that, obviously, he still scores with chicks, but he does so by using his intellect and meta-physical virility and not, like, talking to them or poo poo.

It's all heavily tied into this post-War pre-Reagan idea of science-y masculinity that was eventually staked out into the sun to die when Good Old American Know-How hosed Vietnam into an unending failure-hole, to be replaced by rogue maverick rule-breakers and schlubby blue-collar guys with daddy issues. But since it's also apparently the only thing that can give Geoff Johns an erection, we're probably still going to have to deal with Hal.

I found old GL comics at my grandma’s house that my mom bought; so like late 50s/early 60s. They were super racist to ‘Pie Face’ and Hal hit every stereotype you mentioned.

If/when they make a GLC movie, I hope they have my favorite duo: Isamot and Vahn. They were on opposing sides of a space war and ended up as sector partners when the rings picked them. Eventually Vahn got his legs burned off, so Isamot (a lizard man that regenerates limbs) got their medic to cut his own legs off and give them to Vahn. He was pissed because his planet was super racist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Saw it again last night. One joke that got one of the biggest laughs was Fat Gandalf completely butchering his one line and getting poo poo for it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Henker posted:

In fairness, they're right. Cable has the dumbest, most convoluted backstory of any comic book character.

Hawkman is worse.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hawkman is worse.

Cable gives Hawkman an honest-to-God run for his money.

It would be absolutely hilarious if they touch on his backstory more, but I honestly think what they gave in the movie is the most they can really do without the general audience's eyes all glazing over.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Cable gives Hawkman an honest-to-God run for his money.

It would be absolutely hilarious if they touch on his backstory more, but I honestly think what they gave in the movie is the most they can really do without the general audience's eyes all glazing over.

I was actually vaguely disappointed that they didn't throw more shade at it. I understand that you want most jokes to not require comic knowledge but c'mon. They've already sort of retconned some bits anyway! As far as we know, Hope's his actual daughter -- not a girl from a hospital ward that was the first mutant born after a mutant apocalypse and as a baby was the target of assassination by one time-traveller but was saved by Cable who then raised her as his own while jumping forward centuries at a time while relentlessly pursued by someone from a different timeline because I think his time machine breaks and can only go in one direction and

Why is there blood coming out of my ear?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I imagine it being jean grey and cyclops based will hit too issues for them to bother.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NmareBfly posted:

Why is there blood coming out of my ear?

see, this is the problem, not that it requires comic knowledge. :v:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What no post credits scene?

"WAIT UNTIL THE LIGHTS COME ON BEFORE YOU LEAVE!"

*lights come on*

*Everyone looking at each other very awkwardly*

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Philthy posted:

What no post credits scene?

"WAIT UNTIL THE LIGHTS COME ON BEFORE YOU LEAVE!"

*lights come on*

*Everyone looking at each other very awkwardly*

classic deadpool prank

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They even gave it a good few seconds before turning the light on. These little jokes are amazing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If there is a Deadpool 3, I hope Hugh Jackman comes out of Wolveretirement for an extended cameo, or hell, a team-up part. I bet he'd love doing it and Fox seems sort of open to letting DP play with their toys.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am listening to Celine Dion on repeat.
What have I become?

"Without my superpowers I am just a big useless bag of cancer. You could give me a bow and call me Hawkeye".

:drat:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

davidspackage posted:

If there is a Deadpool 3, I hope Hugh Jackman comes out of Wolveretirement for an extended cameo, or hell, a team-up part. I bet he'd love doing it and Fox seems sort of open to letting DP play with their toys.

The first one was the most successful film in the entire X-Men franchise and the second is following suit so the other X-Men should feel privileged if Deadpool allows them to come play. :colbert:

Edit: and all those other movies had production budgets roughly around $100 - $200 million (except the original X-Men which was only $75m) and Fox not only had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the table on DP but they only gave it a budget of $58m and it still outperformed all those other big ensemble movies.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm surprised DP2 had the balls to do a joke about Star Wars sisterfucking. Marvel is fair game, that IP ends when the super hero movie bubble bursts. Star Wars, however, will print money until the end of time. You don't get to gently caress with it if you're under the Disney banner.

Out of curiosity, how much power does Disney have over Deadpool at the moment?

• Locked thread