Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
And selections complete! Managed to snag one of the P-8 spots! Now I just have to actually finish training and get my wings!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

And selections complete! Managed to snag one of the P-8 spots! Now I just have to actually finish training and get me wings!

Congrats! Neat to be on the newest platform. I can't remember, are you an NFO or part of the IWC?

Edit: Help you out here

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

And selections complete! Managed to snag one of the P-8 spots! Now I just have to actually finish training and get me wings!

Nice. Enjoy the comfy seats on your mil-spec airliner.

What's the pipeline like these days now that they've got that multi-crew simulator? Are you learning AIC along with the E-2 guys?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats! Neat to be on the newest platform. I can't remember, are you an NFO or part of the IWC?

Edit: Help you out here

Thanks man! I'm NFO, do a lot of IWC guys work with P-8's?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Nice. Enjoy the comfy seats on your mil-spec airliner.

What's the pipeline like these days now that they've got that multi-crew simulator? Are you learning AIC along with the E-2 guys?

Everytime P-8s came in for the fleet fly ins, the comfy chairs were the top 5 things people talked about for the P-8s, along with the air conditioning.

The pipeline is starting to pick up steam, they had me in the pool for about three and half months after I graduated Primary at the end of November and class started mid March and is projected to wing at the end of July. With the MCS we're sharing a common core with the E-2 guys, but apart from a couple appreciation events, we mostly train for double S C and the E-2 guys break off after the common core to practice AIC and other Strand training.

Common core lasts about two and a half to three months where we learn navigation and sensors and get introduced to fleet events. After that the E-2s split off for their specialized training while the MPR, EP-3 and E-6 dudes go to do Common Nav (learning to travel using DR. GPS, INS and Radar fixes and international transitions). This takes about two weeks.

After Common Nav, we split into our Strands, so MPR. EP-3 and E-6. E-6 guys stay an extra 3 to 4 weeks before winging, EP-3 takes about a month and a half and MPR takes 2 months. The MCS is really cool, but they are still working to do more integrated training, connecting machines to do more multi-seat events. As is, most practices are still 1 instructor to one student. The funny thing is, the MCS looks a lot like CMANO.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Congratulations on getting free training on one of the most popular airliners in the world. :unsmith:

Enjoy signing a metric ton of NDAs as well - they're packing some truly impressive OPSEC stuff on and in those airframes nowadays. You also probably would've had to transition to the P-8 eventually anyway, even if you had gotten the EP-3.

You'll also likely spend a fair amount of time in or around Seattle anyway, as the last two times I was there, there were plenty of P-8s on the ramp next to the Museum of Flight getting tinkered with.

One thing I've always been curious about with regards to the P-8 is if their simulator models the weapons release, or if it's just a garden-variety 737NG sim. I'd imagine there's ample room for a TAO in the back.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Everytime P-8s came in for the fleet fly ins, the comfy chairs were the top 5 things people talked about for the P-8s, along with the air conditioning.

Yeah, everyone talks about how nice it is. I really need to try and get a tour if they bring some up to Fallon next month. They usually try to bring some MPRA/ISR guys out for a few events with the air wing.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Congratulations on getting free training on one of the most popular airliners in the world. :unsmith:

Maybe as a flight attendant. :NFOsmith: (which I guess would be :smith: wearing glasses)

Major Minor
Apr 28, 2010

Jimmy4400nav posted:

And selections complete! Managed to snag one of the P-8 spots! Now I just have to actually finish training and get my wings!

Congrats!! My best friend is a P-8 pilot and loves it; sounds like a great community for NFOs too. We're both from Seattle so I'll throw a shameless plug for getting stationed up at Whidbey when you have the option.

Now just try not to lose your wings before you check into the FRS!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Must be a bunch of officers posting. Such a positive vibe!

Congrats!

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Enjoy signing a metric ton of NDAs as well - they're packing some truly impressive OPSEC stuff on and in those airframes nowadays. You also probably would've had to transition to the P-8 eventually anyway, even if you had gotten the EP-3.

You'll also likely spend a fair amount of time in or around Seattle anyway, as the last two times I was there, there were plenty of P-8s on the ramp next to the Museum of Flight getting tinkered with.

One thing I've always been curious about with regards to the P-8 is if their simulator models the weapons release, or if it's just a garden-variety 737NG sim. I'd imagine there's ample room for a TAO in the back.

The sims are a full motion 737 flight station that can link up to the "tube trainer" with the tactical crew for training events. It simulates all that fun stuff to include all the missile avoidance systems and weapons. We had to stop shooting down crews when they were coupled with the pilot trainer because the motion was so violent that it was messing with the mounts in the sim bay.

I've been away from it for two years but there is a ton of stuff coming online as the navy starts to fold all of its lesser known P-3 based missions into the P-8 and Triton UAS. Probably lots of growing pains in the straight stick MPR community as well.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Major Minor posted:

Congrats!! My best friend is a P-8 pilot and loves it; sounds like a great community for NFOs too. We're both from Seattle so I'll throw a shameless plug for getting stationed up at Whidbey when you have the option.

Now just try not to lose your wings before you check into the FRS!

Thanks guys! Fingers crossed for Whidbey! From what I hear a lot of dudes and dudettes don't want the base and prefer Jax so the odds are good I'll get to come back to the Northwest (I'm from Portland so going back North would be awesome)! Still eight weeks until I get my wings, just gotta make sure I pass the rest of advance and then SERE. :unsmith: :stonklol:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, everyone talks about how nice it is. I really need to try and get a tour if they bring some up to Fallon next month. They usually try to bring some MPRA/ISR guys out for a few events with the air wing.

Maybe as a flight attendant. :NFOsmith: (which I guess would be :smith: wearing glasses)

That reminds me of the E-6 guys who came to visit with their plane. The first slide of their community brief powerpoint literally said "Oklahoma: Its Not As Bad As People Say" yet when we visited them in their plane one of the JOs kept staring outside at the EP-3 with this sad look in his eye.

Wonder Free posted:

The sims are a full motion 737 flight station that can link up to the "tube trainer" with the tactical crew for training events. It simulates all that fun stuff to include all the missile avoidance systems and weapons. We had to stop shooting down crews when they were coupled with the pilot trainer because the motion was so violent that it was messing with the mounts in the sim bay.

I've been away from it for two years but there is a ton of stuff coming online as the navy starts to fold all of its lesser known P-3 based missions into the P-8 and Triton UAS. Probably lots of growing pains in the straight stick MPR community as well.

That sounds rad! some of our civilian instructors are former P-3 guys and they keep mentioning that the plane is a lot more versatile than people think so it'll be exciting to see what got folded over to P-8s!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grew up in the P3 community, I'd love to get to be an NFO on either platform. How hard was the process?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Thronde posted:

Grew up in the P3 community, I'd love to get to be an NFO on either platform. How hard was the process?

It wasn't too bad. I was lucky, when I submitted my packet since they were trying hard to get NFO's for training. I submitted my packet in October, got accepted at the end of November and was in OCS in January. I'm not sure if they still have the spigot turned up, but for the past couple of months they've really been working hard to ramp up production over here at VT-4, 10 and 86.

The training isn't bad either, its kind of like getting sprayed with a fire hose but as long as you have good study habits and a decent work ethic its pretty straight forward. Flying in the T-6 was pretty cool though being stuck in a small cockpit definitely made me happy I got to go big wing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm not sure if they still have the spigot turned up, but for the past couple of months they've really been working hard to ramp up production over here at VT-4, 10 and 86.

So I don't know how it impacts overall NFO production, but the E-2 pipeline is trying to plus up due to transitioning to the E-2D; E-2D squadrons have one more plane than E-2C and have proportionally more aircrew.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So I don't know how it impacts overall NFO production, but the E-2 pipeline is trying to plus up due to transitioning to the E-2D; E-2D squadrons have one more plane than E-2C and have proportionally more aircrew.

I'm not too sure, I'll have to check with my buddies in the E-2 strand training. At least over on this side, filling E-2 slots has been a bit of a challenge since most folks tend to put them lower on their preference sheet. At least one of each class coming out of VT-10 has an E-2 selectee, but most of the time they're one of the guys who got drafted for Pri 2 and really didn't want to go jets (though we've had a few E-2 first choicers come through).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I confess I'll never understand someone in naval aviation being excited about being in a non-carrier based aircraft. When I went through flight school pretty everyone wanted jets. When I was a DH at VT-86 a few years back a lot more people were picking big wings as their first choice.

In other news, signed my DD-214 a couple weeks ago.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Does anyone have that P-2 guy's memoirs of his time in the service? I read it and immediately wished that was how I spent my 20s

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

I confess I'll never understand someone in naval aviation being excited about being in a non-carrier based aircraft.

Let me put it this way: You can go to a floating prison where you might get a week off somewhere in between God knows how long or you can go chill at an airbase for a month, collect per diem, not eat boat food, then go do it somewhere else for another month, etc.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

P-3s/P-8s are the loving life, recon wings are pretty chill, and you get to go to neat places, and never have to land on a boat, or be on a boat, ever.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

vulturesrow posted:

I confess I'll never understand someone in naval aviation being excited about being in a non-carrier based aircraft. When I went through flight school pretty everyone wanted jets. When I was a DH at VT-86 a few years back a lot more people were picking big wings as their first choice.

In other news, signed my DD-214 a couple weeks ago.

Mostly what everyone else has said wrt per diem and boat life. Not a lot of studs really know that MPR is full of huge dorks and has some weird culture issues. I still don't regret it though.

For the flight school guys, at least when I was there 9 years ago, everyone was falling over themselves to avoid 86 and the intermediate phase of 10/4. Basically the gouge was that jet guys hate NFO's and that 86 and beyond would be dealing with assholes at a time when cutting scores were jumping up and they were trying to cut guys out of the pipeline. Everyone wanted to flee to the safety of fat kid land basically.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well I'm up for the LDO test in January, might as well try for NFO until. Thanks. Where'd you go to ground school? Murderidian, MS or Boring, TX?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Thronde posted:

Well I'm up for the LDO test in January, might as well try for NFO until. Thanks. Where'd you go to ground school? Murderidian, MS or Boring, TX?

Ground school is in Pensacola, initially you'll be with the pilots for the early academic ground school (IFS and API) before you go to primary. Primary for NFOs is all in Pensacola too.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 18, 2018

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
On the tail end of the med board (PEB) process. If anyone has any questions about the process feel free to ask or PM. I'm in a small community with a year and change til 20 so I won't dox myself, but I'll answer as best I can.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
One of our FC A school students got their smoke deck secured by offering his vape to a female to try the flavor, but neglected to mention that his juice was 50mg. She had a seizure right there. There's talk about getting him court marshalled lmao.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. That's like an entire pack of smokes in a drag.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You're a terrible mentor

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

One of our FC A school students got their smoke deck secured by offering his vape to a female to try the flavor, but neglected to mention that his juice was 50mg. She had a seizure right there. There's talk about getting him court marshalled lmao.

you can't court-martial someone for vaping; DADT was repealed years ago

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I can’t even right now. Wow.

In personal news I’m going TAD to fleet week in NYC. I get to go to musicals in dress whites woo!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wonder Free posted:

Mostly what everyone else has said wrt per diem and boat life. Not a lot of studs really know that MPR is full of huge dorks and has some weird culture issues. I still don't regret it though.

For the flight school guys, at least when I was there 9 years ago, everyone was falling over themselves to avoid 86 and the intermediate phase of 10/4. Basically the gouge was that jet guys hate NFO's and that 86 and beyond would be dealing with assholes at a time when cutting scores were jumping up and they were trying to cut guys out of the pipeline. Everyone wanted to flee to the safety of fat kid land basically.

I guess I should be more clear. I get the reasoning but if that's what you want from a flying career, join the Air Force. And that was garbage gouge, pilots don't hate NFOs.

LingcodKilla posted:

I can’t even right now. Wow.

In personal news I’m going TAD to fleet week in NYC. I get to go to musicals in dress whites woo!

Major score. NYC Fleet Week is amazing. [Ask Me] how I got the Navy to pay for me to stay at the Manhattan Ritz-Carlton during Fleet Week. :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I guess I should be more clear. I get the reasoning but if that's what you want from a flying career, join the Air Force. And that was garbage gouge, pilots don't hate NFOs.

Major score. NYC Fleet Week is amazing. [Ask Me] how I got the Navy to pay for me to stay at the Manhattan Ritz-Carlton during Fleet Week. :)

Wow. Well I’m just cruising up from Norfolk on a USNS then flying home to DC.
Think I’m just sleeping on board. I saw the watch list and it’s basically a half day every day then “don’t be an rear end in town”.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow. Well I’m just cruising up from Norfolk on a USNS then flying home to DC.
Think I’m just sleeping on board. I saw the watch list and it’s basically a half day every day then “don’t be an rear end in town”.

Riding the COMFORT up or some supply ship? Fleet Week should be great for you. We were supposed to hit up NYC Fleet Week but then the Arab Spring kicked off.

Also, congrats vulture on retirement and returning to the real world.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wonder Free posted:

Oh snap, I have a few instructors who were just getting in around that time. One of my LTs told me how in the API student pool they had too many people, so they offered ROTC and Academy grads the opportunity to drop contract and leave the military and not have to reimburse their education expenses. Whats crazy is at least right now they're still working overtime trying to fill a bunch of slots and vacancies that are getting ready to open up, so at least NFO-wise the cutting scores aren't as much of an issue.

That said apparently too many SNAs have been getting sent to their primary squadrons and just can't perform so the new policy for Primary/Advanced is to crack down hard on folks getting pink sheets out of schools command and in their squadrons. Basically now all of your pink sheets are cumulative, so if you got one or two in API, get none in primary, but then get one in advanced, it could trigger and automatic FPC. It hit bad over here at VT 4 and VT 86, FPCs have been going way up and a couple guys have been attrited (at least before, the word was that in 4 years VT-4 had only attrited 2 or 3 people).

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Oh snap, I have a few instructors who were just getting in around that time. One of my LTs told me how in the API student pool they had too many people, so they offered ROTC and Academy grads the opportunity to drop contract and leave the military and not have to reimburse their education expenses. Whats crazy is at least right now they're still working overtime trying to fill a bunch of slots and vacancies that are getting ready to open up, so at least NFO-wise the cutting scores aren't as much of an issue.

That said apparently too many SNAs have been getting sent to their primary squadrons and just can't perform so the new policy for Primary/Advanced is to crack down hard on folks getting pink sheets out of schools command and in their squadrons. Basically now all of your pink sheets are cumulative, so if you got one or two in API, get none in primary, but then get one in advanced, it could trigger and automatic FPC. It hit bad over here at VT 4 and VT 86, FPCs have been going way up and a couple guys have been attrited (at least before, the word was that in 4 years VT-4 had only attrited 2 or 3 people).

Yeah it was very similar to that wrt the pink sheets back then. Jumping ship to VP-30 got you away from that IIRC so that was part of the drive. It all comes in waves but it sounds like you are in a good part of the accordion.

I was in A-pool as an ROTC grad when they offered us out, but couldn't guarantee we wouldn't REDES to SWO. They eventually started just letting people leave with no commitment - rumor was someone had done academy and then grad school at Notre Dame before starting flight school, then asked them point blank in front of the mass of ensigns and volunteered right there. After that the NSS cutting score started ticking up to the point that people got dropped from API because you needed like an 85 average on your tests to maintain a high enough NSS.

Of course the rumor when I separated was that they over-corrected back then and now will have to jack up the bonus and everyone will make O-4 hasn't happened either. Though pretty much every pilot from my year, even the biggest kool aid drinkers, bailed and are now flying airlines, so who knows what'll happen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
NFO is the only thing I'm upset I came in too old to be able to do, it sounds loving awesome

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Navy ships are not what I expected.

Liberty till 0800 Monday woo!

(Lol USNS)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Navy ships are not what I expected.

Liberty till 0800 Monday woo!

(Lol USNS)

Thats pretty amazing. Don't even have to share a roll.

I knew a guy who did a deployment on a USNS. He had a hammock in the sun while he "worked" testing some sensor or some poo poo.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So are they going to go full Navy and blacklist the shop that made that dudes juice? Some of them won't make juice above 30mg because of the toxicity.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I read that out loud to my guys and they were all staring in horror. Most of the vapers at my command puff on some 3 mil poo poo that smells like uniform farts or strawberry lemonade.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thronde posted:

smells like uniform farts

Great typo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

considering a lethal dose in humans is 40-60mg, a seizure and then living is getting off easy. How in the gently caress was this dude able to take a drag on his vape without dying himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

orange juche posted:

considering a lethal dose in humans is 40-60mg, a seizure and then living is getting off easy. How in the gently caress was this dude able to take a drag on his vape without dying himself?

As I've had to tell my class about a thousand times since the incident, I wasn't there, and neither were most of the people telling stories about it, so literally every single aspect of the story is up for debate, including the potency of the juice, whether or not he told her about it/she knew about it beforehand, whether it was a seizure vs. getting dizzy and falling down. I even told them that I could make up a clearly embellished version that only an idiot would believe, and that it would be making the rounds by Monday. I stopped just shy of giving an example because of course it would. loving students. At least when I do stupid poo poo is only affects me my family's financial security.