Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

My dad wouldn't let me watch horror movies with boobs in them. I'm assuming that's what 80% of these movies were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pneub posted:

My dad wouldn't let me watch horror movies with boobs in them. I'm assuming that's what 80% of these movies were.

good lucking finding a horror movie in the 80s without boobs

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Iron Crowned posted:

It did make me remember that all fast food used to be packaged in Styrofoam, although I doubt we could pull off how quickly that dropped off today since creating unnecessary waste would trigger the libs.

My brothers and I used to stick straws in the styrofoam McNuggets boxes and drive 'em around as tanks. French fry missiles were banned quickly. I think we're better off with the post-recycled cardboard, though. Fast food restaurants just go through so much of it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/GfuKS5L.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/tt6RBqL.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/uniNNUV.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/leJg4im.gifv

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Yeah, for some reason, oral sex really came in to fashion in the 90s.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I loved these Batman cups; especially the frisbee lids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8mBhXILynQ

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Are You Afraid of the Dark was way better than Goosebumps :colbert:

that being said, the Goosebumps books were great when I was 10

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

ZDar Fan posted:

I loved these Batman cups; especially the frisbee lids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8mBhXILynQ

These were better :colbert:

https://youtu.be/SDu1-6ttj_I

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

good lucking finding a horror movie in the 80s without boobs

A remember a common complaint among horror fans about Blair Witch Project was there were no tits.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

A remember a common complaint among horror fans about Blair Witch Project was there were no tits.

I knew a few people who were disappointed that the chick in that movie didn't get boned by the two dudes when they were lost. :suicide:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

twistedmentat posted:

That's why there's the Bare Wench Project.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
By the time Blair Witch came out in the 90s, hadn't the mid-90s style of teen horror already well replaced their 80s-styled counterparts which had more nudity?

I'm going to have to claim near complete ignorance on this because I was never really into the 90s teen horror flicks so I can't even recall if they ever got into the sex/nudity content like slightly older horror did. Of course, the mid-90s teen horror always felt more like it was about normal people being slashers than some (semi)supernatural boogiemen.

edit: I guess I should clarify: The POPULAR horror films seemed to have gone that route. The Freddy, Jason, etc. staple of baddies seemed be blips on the radar compared to Ghostface and some fisherman in a raincoat.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:31 on May 20, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

wesleywillis posted:

I knew a few people who were disappointed that the chick in that movie didn't get boned by the two dudes when they were lost. :suicide:

Yea, that was pretty much it, or there wasn't like a shot where she was bathing or something. And these were horror fans that were in a horror usenet group, so they were more interested in like Stuart Gordon and Puppet Master movies. Holy poo poo I rented a ton of those direct to dvd horror movies back then.

And yea, I think there was a segment of horror fans who didn't like the screen or I know what you did last summer and such because they were always just some guy in a mask, nothing crazy outside of that. Horror movies had crazy monsters, makeup, and effects, buckets of blood, and at least one tit shot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
God, it's been so long since I've seen Judgement Night, I'm not sure if it was ever considered a 'horror' film (more a 'thriller', I guess) by 90s standards but I get the feeling that if it came out today it'd be considered a horror film.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I've never seen Judgement Night but I like the Faith No More and Booya Tribe song from it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, that was pretty much it, or there wasn't like a shot where she was bathing or something. And these were horror fans that were in a horror usenet group, so they were more interested in like Stuart Gordon and Puppet Master movies. Holy poo poo I rented a ton of those direct to dvd horror movies back then.

And yea, I think there was a segment of horror fans who didn't like the screen or I know what you did last summer and such because they were always just some guy in a mask, nothing crazy outside of that. Horror movies had crazy monsters, makeup, and effects, buckets of blood, and at least one tit shot.

Man, the Puppet Master movies owned. Even when they did a face turn in one of the sequels and fought Nazis

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

Man, the Puppet Master movies owned. Even when they did a face turn in one of the sequels and fought Nazis
Man why the gently caress isn't this a THING more often with how much people love to shove Zombies, Nazis, and Zombie Nazis into everything?

You've seen him in "the hood", you've seen him in SPACE! Now see him at his best. Leprechaun vs Nazis.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of alt-right teens decide to get away from the SJWs in the big city and camp down near Crystal Lake.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zanzibar Ham posted:

A bunch of alt-right teens decide to get away from the SJWs in the big city and camp down near Crystal Lake.

Friday the 13th: Cucked by Jason

i'd watch the hell out of it

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

By the time Blair Witch came out in the 90s, hadn't the mid-90s style of teen horror already well replaced their 80s-styled counterparts which had more nudity?

Absolutely, thats why the complaint is so dumb, Blair Witch came out in 1999. The supernatural/ghost/monster horror had been kinda dead in the water for a decade prior, the ones that did come out were mostly cheapo sequels to hits from the 80s. The 90s were firmly a slasher dominated era. All the most famous horror directors from the 80s abandoned supernatural horror when the 90s rolled in, it's tragic.

Movies like the Blair Witch and The Ring did though, renew interest in supernatural horror, but we wouldn't see that influence come into full swing until the late 2000's, when digital cameras and post production started to become ubiquitous, causing a boom time of amateur horror flicks. I mean check out the difference between 1998 and 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_1998
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_2008

This is also the point when the found footage trend exploded with stuff like Paranormal Activity and Cloverfield. Blair Witch might have done it 10 years early on a 'cheap' $60,000 but contrast that to Paranormal Activitys budget which was even less, at $15,000 which is staggering for a film that went on to gross 200 million.

The 90s are such a sad year for horror despite being the only time in history a horror movie won the best picture Academy Award.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Monomythian posted:

This is also the point when the found footage trend exploded with stuff like Paranormal Activity and Cloverfield. Blair Witch might have done it 10 years early on a 'cheap' $60,000 but contrast that to Paranormal Activitys budget which was even less, at $15,000 which is staggering for a film that went on to gross 200 million.

Not disagreeing with what's in your post but didn't Blair Witch's budget include stuff like "Curse of the Blair Witch", the fake TV documentary that made out like it was all real?

I mean, it definitely cost more for just the movie than Paranormal Activity (filming in the woods is gonna cost more than filming at the director's house, plus using film vs all digital) but that £60k covered a bunch of stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Monomythian posted:

The 90s are such a sad year for horror despite being the only time in history a horror movie won the best picture Academy Award.

I'm not sure about The Silence of the Lambs being a horror movie. I know everyone says it is but I've always thought of it as a crime movie. Maybe that's why they were happy to give it an Oscar all the Oscars.

I don't really know about categorising horror movies, though, because I don't watch a lot of them. My favourite is Phantasm and I feel like that's in the supernatural category. It's certainly not a slasher (though the Tall Man was scarier than a lot of the big slasher baddies).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I suppose thriller was the 'grown up' replacement version of 'horror' in the 90s.

It felt like you'd have a non-horror thriller by adding genres to it, though. It's a 'political thriller', it's a 'medical thriller', 'conspiracy thriller', 'criminal thriller'. Maybe as you get closer to 'psychological thriller' it starts getting closer to the horror genre.

A podcast I listen to did have a thought on Post-Japanese horror, though. They commented that for a period of time a lot of US horror was built around a fairy tale type of myth where they were secretly punishing kids for their sinning and bad behavior. That's why you'd get the monsters killing teenagers who just so happened to also be smoking, drinking, doing drugs, having sex, staying out late, being troublemakers, disobeying parents, etc. You could argue things were being done as punishments to them and it was a sort of cautionary tale to stay away from such behaviors.

But they felt with when Japanese horror became popular, it seemed like the victims were becoming more random and innocent. You were just a wrong place, wrong time and it didn't matter what kind of person you were or what your sins/vices were.

Now, granted, that's not always 100% true in every single case, though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I rewatched A Nightmare On Elm Street (original) yesterday, and that movie still holds up really well, especially for it's tiny budget. 3 million dollars isn't a lot of money for a movie, even at the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the most 90s cinematic trend was all these crime movies that desperately wanted to be Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, replete with hit-men in sunglasses quipping at each other, heists gone wrong, violent shoot-outs and characters holding forth on useful pop culture trivia. Either they were actively trying to ape Tarantino's style or they were movies that were their own thing (Go, The Usual Suspects etc.) but probably wouldn't have been greenlit quite as quickly without Pulp Fiction.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the most 90s cinematic trend was all these crime movies that desperately wanted to be Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, replete with hit-men in sunglasses quipping at each other, heists gone wrong, violent shoot-outs and characters holding forth on useful pop culture trivia. Either they were actively trying to ape Tarantino's style or they were movies that were their own thing (Go, The Usual Suspects etc.) but probably wouldn't have been greenlit quite as quickly without Pulp Fiction.

My favourite one of those is 'Things to do in Denver when you're dead'. Got poo poo on by everyone for being a Tarantino rip off, even though it was apparently written before Reservoir Dogs and just wasn't green lit till studios were desperate for their own cool gansta flicks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, just noticed that I typed "useful" pop culture trivia when I meant useless.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Starring Sir Stewart Wallace as himself, Nathan Wind as Cochese, Vic Colfari as Bobby "The Rookie", Alasondro Allegre' as The "Chief" and Fred Kelly as "Bunny".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its amazing how quickly the Beastie Boys went from being "oh yea I heard them, they're pretty good" to being OMG loving BEST poo poo EVER with just the release of Sabotage. It was kind of funny because among my nerdy cricle of friends we loved them for a while because they always made these nerdy references in their rhymes. I think though that got stepped up on the mid to late 90s releases.

Though I feel like the late 90s was the last great era of music videos. You had tons of really inventive and interesting videos on heavy rotation, and when you saw some boring video that was just the bang preforming in a parking lot or at a concert you were "boring!".

I want to see the one with the dog, or the one with the dancing skeletons.

That actually reminds me of a little detail from a lot of UK videos from the 90s, whenever they showed people at a party of some sort, they'd always have bottles of water, which was often an indication that everyone was on E.

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 07:07 on May 21, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm going to suggest Aerosmith might be one of the most 90s things despite being a band from the 70s... and for that reason it fits even better.

The 90s had their 70s nostalgia and you have a 70s rock band that had a string of really successful new rock songs in the 90s. Even when the hair/glam metal scene of the 80s was dying out post-Grunge and Alternative, Aerosmith maintained their own take on that style and remained popular.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHRvNAENaxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48riI737dTk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm going to suggest Aerosmith might be one of the most 90s things despite being a band from the 70s... and for that reason it fits even better.

The 90s had their 70s nostalgia and you have a 70s rock band that had a string of really successful new rock songs in the 90s. Even when the hair/glam metal scene of the 80s was dying out post-Grunge and Alternative, Aerosmith maintained their own take on that style and remained popular.

Aerosmith in the 90's were basically Imagine Dragons

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember how the Aerosmith music videos had Liv Tyler in them and it was gross because it was her dad singing

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
80s, but who remembers this insane cartoon?

http://i.imgur.com/y1Bg2nN.gif

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember how the Aerosmith music videos had Liv Tyler in them and it was gross because it was her dad singing

And Alicia Silverstone who definitely qualifies as the most 90s thing.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

With songs by Michael Bolton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Michael Bolton, Diane Warren and Desmond Child: either the Holy Trinity or the three heads of Cerberus depending on your attitude to AOR.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't realize until much later than the video for Crazy had Live Tyler and Alicia Silverstone running away because they were Lesbians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Michael Bolton, Diane Warren and Desmond Child: either the Holy Trinity or the three heads of Cerberus depending on your attitude to AOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-laq61WrRA