Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

All I know about genetics is that I tried to inject myself with the cool mutations and nothing happened. Apparently it's more complicated than I thought.

Also, I hosed up throwing a blanket over the monkeys and they drat near instakilled me in a half second. Little bastards. How are you supposed to do it?

Put the sheet in your hand. Stand next to a monkey. Click+drag the monkey's sprite onto yours. A window will pop up with the monkey's equipment slots. With sheet in hand click on 'outer suit' or something like that. You'll start to put the sheet on the monkey. It may move around causing you to be interrupted. If this happens just do it again.

Drag (control-click) the monkey out of the pen away from the other monkeys. Now you can safely grab (click while on grab intent - orange fist thing on the intent menu, or press 3) the monkey and shove him in the scanner without the others aggroing.

Re: genetics, research your DNA samples. Buy more credits when you run out. Use activators on yourself for the genes you like.

Then research the monkey's traits. Use activators on it. Put the used activators back in the machine to recycle them. This gives you either more credits, chromosomes, or 'unlocks'. Initiate the research advancements to unlock other things to do in the machine. Repeat forever. The wiki is very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Isaac posted:

I was the wiz and I was thinking "I wonder if this is that guy from the thread"

Yeah, that was awesome- what was the deal with the cluwne monkeys though, is that explicitly a wizard thing I hadn't seen before? Because that was horrifying in the funniest way.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, that was awesome- what was the deal with the cluwne monkeys though, is that explicitly a wizard thing I hadn't seen before? Because that was horrifying in the funniest way.

Wizards have a spell that turns the target into a cluwne.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

TheDK posted:

Put the sheet in your hand. Stand next to a monkey. Click+drag the monkey's sprite onto yours. A window will pop up with the monkey's equipment slots. With sheet in hand click on 'outer suit' or something like that. You'll start to put the sheet on the monkey. It may move around causing you to be interrupted. If this happens just do it again.

Drag (control-click) the monkey out of the pen away from the other monkeys. Now you can safely grab (click while on grab intent - orange fist thing on the intent menu, or press 3) the monkey and shove him in the scanner without the others aggroing.

Two things: First, a more efficient tool for keeping monkeys quiet is provided to genetics in the form of blindfolds (they work the same way, but go in the eyes slot, obviously). Second, always pull the monkey out first, so the other monkeys don't get in the way.

Also, for the love of god, when you enter and exit the monkey pen, close the door manually. Poor monkey discipline can and will get you killed (especially on Cog2 where there's no buffer area between the pen and genetics).

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I enjoy watching monkeys murdering geneticists with staple guns and toolboxes. Don't take this away from me.

I once dug out what must have been 20~ staples from one.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Heartcatch posted:

I enjoy watching monkeys murdering geneticists with staple guns and toolboxes. Don't take this away from me.

I once dug out what must have been 20~ staples from one.

That reminds me, another bit of safe practice is, after blindfolding/sheeting a monkey, check its hands and empty them from the same menu, to make sure they don't keep whatever dangerous implement they were carrying. Also, disposal any such items that aren't necessary for your job. While you're at it, preemptively disposal the toolbox that spawns in the genetics lab, monkeys love grabbing it while you're trying to restrain them, and then if you happen to aggro them at any point, they will promptly beat you to death with it. Basically, genetics is a lot like chef, in that 90% of your actual effort goes towards making sure the monkeys can't do anything except die for your unholy experiments.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

at least give the blindfolded monkey one last cigarette

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
The gags (found in the examination rooms in medical, I think) will keep them from screaming and annoying the rest of the crew, as well.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

at least give the blindfolded monkey one last cigarette

Don't do this, the monkey will kill you with the cigarette.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheDK posted:

The gags (found in the examination rooms in medical, I think) will keep them from screaming and annoying the rest of the crew, as well.

That's the last thing you want to do. Everyone knows that if there's a geneticist on duty but no screams are coming from their lab, either something very bad is happening to them or they've finished discovering superpowers. In either event, that's the signal to rush in and either help them or help yourself to the fruits of their labor.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

That's the last thing you want to do. Everyone knows that if there's a geneticist on duty but no screams are coming from their lab, either something very bad is happening to them or they've finished discovering superpowers. In either event, that's the signal to rush in and either help them or help yourself to the fruits of their labor.

:shrug: To each their own. The screams are annoying and I always grab gags as one of the first things I do when playing Geneticist.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Gagging the geneticist and turning them into Bart Simpson is actually the correct application.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I demand more angry monkeys. Also we need to put the monkey virus game mode into rotation because there’s nothing funnier than player monkeys tearing apart the station.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I demand more angry monkeys. Also we need to put the monkey virus game mode into rotation because there’s nothing funnier than player monkeys tearing apart the station.

Animal pheremones traitor item. Splashed/injected chem, makes all critters in range hostile as long as its in a player's system or on their clothes. Players nearby get messages like "you really wanna punch this jerk in the face!"

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Monkeys will use weapons even if the weapon is only deadly to the user (blowing their own heads off)

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I used to make a point to always shred genetics with some interesting chemistry concoction or the other back when I actively played.

I think my favourite thing to date was injecting a geneticist with initropidril, then buckling him to his chair as he was dying. The other geneticist never noticed his colleague was dead.

In fact, 45 minutes later the dead geneticist was still buckled to the chair, with nobody any wiser to my misdeeds. :getin:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not SS13 if you can't get an entire crew calling for you to be put to death.

I never thought it was true, then I played Pathology

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dylguy90 posted:

I never thought it was true, then I played Pathology

Yeah, so how do you play Pathology in a non-antag role? It looks fun, but I'm struggling to find funny ways to play it that don't involve being horribly dickish- do you just focus on making pathogens that are goofy and/or obnoxious but don't interfere with anyone else's fun?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, so how do you play Pathology in a non-antag role? It looks fun, but I'm struggling to find funny ways to play it that don't involve being horribly dickish- do you just focus on making pathogens that are goofy and/or obnoxious but don't interfere with anyone else's fun?

Basically, but the common wisdom is that the coders have never added a dedicated Pathologist role for very good reasons. It's not really the sort of thing that should be done every single round or it will stop being funny and just become obnoxious.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

You can roll into helpful symptoms rarely and by pure chance, ie, higher tier things that don't show up every round.

You should probably isolate the helpful symptoms, but you have to have a way to transmit it, which means people have to trust you to inject them OR you have something like farts that are harmless unless someone's tossing a bible around.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I ate everything in a spooky faced paper bag and got real sick.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

I ate everything in a spooky faced paper bag and got real sick.

If you eat too much candy or other sugary foods, you go into hyperglycemic shock, but what makes it especially lethal is that you can pass the threshold by quite a bit before it hits, as the sugar breaks down gradually. An entire goodie bag or a whole box of Pope Crunch can send you into a coma that lasts longer than a sleepypen.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

EclecticTastes posted:

If you eat too much candy or other sugary foods, you go into hyperglycemic shock, but what makes it especially lethal is that you can pass the threshold by quite a bit before it hits, as the sugar breaks down gradually. An entire goodie bag or a whole box of Pope Crunch can send you into a coma that lasts longer than a sleepypen.

Not if you find the prize inside!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PopeCrunch posted:

Knowledge of this prize would have come in handy when I was running a Chaplain gimmick of being the Pope Crunch mascot over the weekend (though, not nearly as many people played along as the last time I tried it). Come to think of it, it'd be a little tougher since they need to be made rather than found, but when Apiarist is a job-of-the-day, I could probably do the same thing for Honey Wonks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PopeCrunch posted:

There's a prize inside?! :magical:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The prize is vomiting.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Inducing hyperglycemic shock is fuckin' brutal.

Is there any fruit that has sugar in it based on potency? Can you make a cherry so potent is kills a man?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Motherfucker posted:

Inducing hyperglycemic shock is fuckin' brutal.

Is there any fruit that has sugar in it based on potency? Can you make a cherry so potent is kills a man?

Yeah, I turned botany into a human honey factory one round by eating peanuts that the botanist had spliced to have 200u of sugar. Eat one peanut and you go into hyperglycemic shock or puke up honey if you have the bee mutation.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

"patch.com posted:

A monkey escaped its crate at San Antonio International Airport and was able to run around the facility, a spokeswoman said. The monkey, a rhesus macaque, arrived Monday afternoon in a crate on an American Airlines flight from Chicago O' Hare, spokeswoman Evelyn Bailey tells Patch.

Prashant Khetan, CEO of the Born Free USA Primate Sanctuary, tells Patch the macaque, named Dawkins, was being flown to their facility near San Antonio.

So, which one of you goons owns this monkey?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, I turned botany into a human honey factory one round by eating peanuts that the botanist had spliced to have 200u of sugar. Eat one peanut and you go into hyperglycemic shock or puke up honey if you have the bee mutation.

Holy cow... so suddenly my own botanical experiment to see if monkeys can smoke pot (spoilers: yes, yes they can, and they will constantly bogart joints out of your pockets and get you cited for monkey cruelty) seems less impressive, that's awesome.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Monkeys are ideal test subjects because they have the same stats and effects and internal processing that players do.

Staff Assistants have the bonus of being able to talk and they are less violent than monkeys though.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Monkeys are ideal test subjects because they have the same stats and effects and internal processing that players do.

Staff Assistants have the bonus of being able to talk and they are less violent than monkeys though.

Less robust maybe. But not less violent.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm not robust at all, but I rarely get murdered for whatever reason.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bananas contain helpful potassium. Watermelons contain hydrating water.

Spliced together, however... :gibs:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I chased a traitor botanist carrying exploding tomatoes across the station. After I lost him, I broke into botany and grabbed a few of his tomatoes. When I found him again, he threw one at me but I robusted it thanks to captain armor. I got him cornered in the storage room next to botany and threw ALL THE TOMATOES I HAD at him and the doorway he was running through.

There wasn’t much left of him to arrest.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That definitely wasn't Jane Morgan, queen of tomatoes.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I turned almost all of the station into animals during a low pop round

Lo and behold getting chased by eight turkeys who use teleport era is terrifying

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i haven't played ss13 in years, but i want to make sure you all know this music exists and is very thematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqU7W8LdRd4
Just two of them at first it was
And then a dozen more.
He blinked to see two women kneel
Beside him on the floor.
He thought they might be angels
But they weren't like angels much;
No wings, no robes, just plain grey spacer
Coveralls and such.

"You're not dead yet, my friend
And it's not quite your time to go,"
The first one said "Now look,
Your rescue beacon's down below
Ed says that there's another ship,
Not far away at all.
You still have two good arms my friend
So grit your teeth and crawl."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WDRxtd-2dQ
The whole station shook like a hurt living thing,
Then the lights dimmed and faded away;
Then the gravity went, then the air pump cut out,
And the bartender started to pray.

"Aw, stow that bilge! Head for the Antelope now!"
Jed's voice cut the dark like a knife.
"The station reactor's gone critical load,
So run for the docks for your life!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzPhRJRgFA

Our captain built a model of the palace at Versailles
Across the recreation room and no one could get by!
One night we heard what sounded like a mighty cannon's roar
Versailles had blown to kingdom come with half the recroom floor.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Speaking of Carmen Miranda's ghost, did coder ever finish the fruit hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
the most appropriate SS13 track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vMcGXR6axw