Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Quantum mechanics is really funny to me because it's such a go-to "completely inexplicable thing beyond the limits of human understanding" stand-in, but I've studied it a lot now and after you accept the basic premise, it is actually rather easy to understand and arguably easier to visualize a lot of phenomena with it. The basic premise is "if you look closely enough, energy is not continuous, but has distinct steps to it". You don't need to understand why that is, if you just accept it then thinking in steps instead of smooth curves is dead simple and you can draw funny lines and arrows in diagrams that explain exactly what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Quantum mechanics huh? Piece of cake :spergin:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SilkyP posted:

That's not what I meant but I can see how I didn't express it well. With "studied it a bunch" I mean that it was part of my Bachelor studies in Chemistry starting from the second semester and really kicking into gear in the fourth, and what I did scientifically since then has had me go even more in-depth. It was by no means easy to get into it, but when I started having to study for it the meme of it being like the hardest, most incomprehensible thing ever for sure intimidated me. A few months after the first introductions however, the concept just "clicked" and it is really remarkably simple and elegant once that click happens.

I think for me as a kid, it was way harder to get into calculus, for example. Just that first exposure to higher mathematics in general, having to think fully abstract and juggle symbols, not numbers, that was a true headache. And there's not much to "click" there, you just have to get used to working with variables and meticulously applying the rules of math. I would say that quantum mechanics are way easier than that. And unless you're a Physicist (I'm still a Chemist), you don't even need calculus for quantum mechanics!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SilkyP posted:

I mean, yeah. Non-relativistic QM is not actually hard once you have a decent background of linear algebra and calculus. It has such a ridiculous reputation with laymen but it's not even remotely the hardest subject you can study in physics.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SilkyP posted:

Kind of, yeah, for practical purposes anyway. Even rocket science isn't rocket science anymore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even Einstein was a bit "...the gently caress?" with quantum mechanics so it shouldn't be surprising that most people have difficulty with it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I remember learning to apply quantum mechanics to explain patterns in the periodic table and it was one of the coolest moments I had in university but I'll be damned if I could ever explain it to anyone else who didn't take that class. Or even anyone who has a background because it was quite a few years ago and at this point It's the memory of understanding it rather than actually still knowing it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
All I know about quantum mechanics is that no one can be gay because balls never really touch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Quantum mechanics mean that anything can happen at any time, for no reason

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Quantum mechanics mean that anything can happen at any time, for no reason

No, you're thinking about politics.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

The basic premise is "if you look closely enough, energy is not continuous, but has distinct steps to it". You don't need to understand why that is, if you just accept it then thinking in steps instead of smooth curves is dead simple and you can draw funny lines and arrows in diagrams that explain exactly what's going on.

This is totally not a widely accepted theory or anything, but the best explanation I've heard for a non-continuous universe is this. Whatever state or flux or whatever the universe spawned from has smaller steps or none at all. Because informational density given a certain framework becomes impossible if something of similar complexity comes into being within it. So when the universe came into being it had a cruder informational resolution to preserve the integrity of the originating space.

Or you know M-theory which just shits all over everything but who knows.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
just lol if you're not already a fourth dimensional being traveling directly through an orange

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SilkyP posted:

Only if you want to have it and eat it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not the most complicated thing, but it's pretty complicated and extremely unintuitive.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

china bot posted:

just lol if you're not already a fourth dimensional being traveling directly through an orange

You're making the 4th dimension all sticky and filled with ants china bot!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh, is that what that scene in Call Me By Your Name is supposed to represent?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

All I know about quantum mechanics is that no one can be gay because balls never really touch.

That's classical mechanics, stupid!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

has anyone got any good quantum mechanics puns

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Your mom's so fat I can measure both her position and momentum at the same time.

e: wait poo poo that's not a pun.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The highest level math I ever took was algebra.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought this was some kind of new PYF Math Class That You Took thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

N0.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What are you, Higgs Boson? Cause you're being a real masshole.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Sagebrush posted:

That's classical mechanics, stupid!

More of a Zeno's Reacharound tbh

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

A dyslexic quantum physicist walks into a ket. . .

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You had to ask. We were doing just Feyn, man.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

Only if you want to have it and eat it.

Nice.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lobok posted:

Even Einstein was a bit "...the gently caress?" with quantum mechanics so it shouldn't be surprising that most people have difficulty with it.

Part of that was because it had implications he really didn't like. That's why he said "spooky action at a distance" and tried to come up with numbers that refuted it. QM break minds because it's pretty unintuitive. You learn regular physics then you get to quantum physics and it just goes "lol nah that ain't me." Einstein admitted late in his life that he was wrong about some of the things he actively rejected.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

Quantum mechanics is really funny to me because it's such a go-to "completely inexplicable thing beyond the limits of human understanding" stand-in, but I've studied it a lot now and after you accept the basic premise, it is actually rather easy to understand and arguably easier to visualize a lot of phenomena with it. The basic premise is "if you look closely enough, energy is not continuous, but has distinct steps to it". You don't need to understand why that is, if you just accept it then thinking in steps instead of smooth curves is dead simple and you can draw funny lines and arrows in diagrams that explain exactly what's going on.

this is actually correct, quantum physics gets a bad rap.

unlike string theory, which is a pseudoscience with much less value than the bee spell i posted

(because the bee spell is testable)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i did have a joke about a quantum tunnelling but it's escaped me

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Caesar Saladin posted:

i wonder what it was like to be autistic back in the medieval times. Probably easier because there was less crazy lights and noises. People would be like "he's a bit daft but he's an okay fella." No trains though.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Does it matter?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I have a story about an autistic caveman where he will only kill elk with asymmetrical antlers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure they were just super into stage coaches or horses or lances or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My guess is heraldry or vexillology.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Flags! Of course it would be flags.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this is actually correct, quantum physics gets a bad rap.

unlike string theory, which is a pseudoscience with much less value than the bee spell i posted

(because the bee spell is testable)

i mean at least quantum mechanics makes predictions that can be empirically verified, even if no one really knows why it works

but bees, man. nobody knows why bees do things. they just do

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sagebrush posted:

i mean at least quantum mechanics makes predictions that can be empirically verified, even if no one really knows why it works

Maybe it's none of your beeswax?! <:mad:>

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe it's none of your beeswax?! <:mad:>

I think that experiment makes it very much their beeswax. Eventually.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sagebrush posted:

That is, of course, because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
autistic people in medieval times became monks and spent their lives painting secret dicks into illuminated manuscripts, unless they were women, in which case they were usually burnt at the stake like most women were back then