Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

was hoping that was next in the bill o'reilly series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this needs to be a gang tag ASAP

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

quote:

The film includes a brief clip of young Israelis in Tel Aviv celebrating the assault on Gaza, a reminder that toxic racism and militarism infect Israeli society.

“Die! Die! Bye!” laughing teenage girls shout at the celebration in Tel Aviv. “Bye, Palestine!”

“loving Arabs! gently caress Muhammad!” a young man yells.

“Gaza is a graveyard! Gaza is a graveyard! Ole, ole, ole, ole,” the crowd in Tel Aviv sings as it dances in jubilation. “There is no school tomorrow! There are no children left in Gaza!”

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

i remember actually watching the crowd that last quote came from

it’s worse than it looks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oh yeah, Hamas is such a threat to Israel that Israelis feel safe enough to BBQ on the hills overlooking Gaza during a bombing campaign.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

lol wow my starship troopers quote was a lot milder than what actually gets said in tel aviv

d to the t to the muhfuckin i

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

d to the t i

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Oh yeah, Hamas is such a threat to Israel that Israelis feel safe enough to BBQ on the hills overlooking Gaza during a bombing campaign.

Imagine being a corrupt political and you can easily do a bombing campaign next door whenever your popularity goes to poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

etalian posted:

Imagine being a corrupt political and you can easily do a bombing campaign next door whenever your popularity goes to poo poo.

p.much any western leader of the past 100 years?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

p.much any western leader of the past 100 years?

Well at least with Gaza Israeli politicians have a next door target for polling improvement military campaigns.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RT_Erdogan/status/996408779594969088

https://twitter.com/RT_Erdogan/status/996469218085429249

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Death to erdogan still

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is going to work because the Egyptians want all the Gazans dead too.

Why is this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

turkey isnt one to talk imo but i support their bad dictators sentiments

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

on t he one hand, yes,

on the other other hand, kurds

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hes an armenian genocide denier too

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

America gives them money and support to maintain their side of the illegal border. No joke, less than a month after the democratically elected arab spring leader announced that they would no longer be holding up the border the military suddenly 180'd and overthrew him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

America gives them money and support to maintain their side of the illegal border. No joke, less than a month after the democratically elected arab spring leader announced that they would no longer be holding up the border the military suddenly 180'd and overthrew him.

death to america

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer10 posted:

Death to erdogan still

Death to likud, death to akp.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Well the military of egypt is the de facto ruler of the country, and the only way they can lose power is if israel attacks again. Not maintaining the gaza border is a great way to get israel to invade.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Another refugee crisis is also way more trouble than it's worth, and if Gaza collapses then Egypt is the only place they could go physically. It's better to just let them all die than to become a burden on Egypt.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i can't imagine the population of egypt is gonna let that happen though, they'll be another spring/civil war

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The people of Egypt don't have a say in the matter.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
its only the higher ups in the military that have anything to lose with their connections to the US, the troops lower in ranking will probably mutiny if they're ordered to prevent palestinians escaping, at the behest of israel

there' can't be a country more unpopular to the average egyptian than israel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Egyptian military is more of a business than the arm of the government. They run factories and everything. If they lose American funds then everybody they employ feels the pain. It's always a possibility that The People could revolt, or the rank and file could mutiny - but I wouldn't count on it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShehabAgencyEn/status/998510587096248320

Death to Paraguay?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

more like paraGAY ha ha

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at the scare quotes, that owns

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Egyptian military is more of a business than the arm of the government. They run factories and everything. If they lose American funds then everybody they employ feels the pain. It's always a possibility that The People could revolt, or the rank and file could mutiny - but I wouldn't count on it.
Very much an army with a state.
I guess you could call it a stratocracy

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This news is 2 days old but the thread could use something positive.

Egypt to open Rafah border with Gaza for entire month of Ramadan

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

This news is 2 days old but the thread could use something positive.

Egypt to open Rafah border with Gaza for entire month of Ramadan

Well it's not Iran but maybe Bolton will be satisfied with bombing Egypt

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sisi is very anti-Islamist, a secular dictator who wants to stomp activist religious groups. also, he came to power by overthrowing the Muslim Brotherhood and now heavily oppresses and suppresses them as a potential threat to his rule, and Hamas is descended from the Muslim Brotherhood and retains somewhat close ties with them. so although the Palestinian cause remains popular with the people of Egypt, Sisi's own ideological and political alignments leave him very anti-Hamas

Egypt has long cooperated with Israel on the Gaza border for diplomatic reasons (i.e., to keep that sweet sweet US aid money flowing) but Sisi cranked up the crackdowns and significantly tightened border security once he got into power.

that said, domestic pressure is having an effect on Sisi and seems to have forced him to dial it back a little bit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sounds like opening rafah is part of a stealth israeli-hamas truce than a kind thing sisi thought up if you read the article

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

sounds like opening rafah is part of a stealth israeli-hamas truce than a kind thing sisi thought up if you read the article

I hope it's the latter, because Israel isn't known for upholding truces.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its tied to hamas promising not to protest or sap the wall which to me sounds like israel cut the deal and told sisi to honor it but im just some dumbass gawking at the horror since cast lead

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Egypt has a history of brokering truces between Israel and Hamas, especially since Israel doesn't officially recognize Hamas and thus doesn't have direct diplomatic channels with them (though plenty of under-the-table negotiations happen)

It's interesting to see Sisi offering that much of a concession without any apparent direct benefit - he cooperates with Israel on Gaza, but it's an arrangement of mutual gain rather than a master-servant relationship. I don't follow day-to-day Egyptian politics, but either he's getting something from Israel for it or he needs to look pro-Palestinian for domestic reasons

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

death to israel. death to the NYT. death to the simpering libs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Kingfish posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The Kingfish posted: