Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm in good China now, and I noticed that outside one of the Taipei 101 entrances there were about 10 PRC flags flying, at street level. I decided not to investigate because ugh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fojar38 posted:

This is also why it's virtually impossible for foreigners to leave any of the main urban areas unless its with a state-sanctioned guide, lest they get endlessly harassed and possibly arrested

Eh? Whoever told you that was full of poo poo. The only place you're required to have a guide is in the actual province of Tibet, and half the time the "guide" just chills out in the hotel while you do whatever. There are some areas that are off-limits to foreigners entirely. Otherwise you can go wherever you want.

Xinjiang has more restrictions all the time too so it's hard to keep up with what's going on there. But if you want to go wander around Yunnan or Zhejiang or whatever nobody cares.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The loophole is that you need to register with the PSB within 24 hrs of arriving in a place. If you stay less that 24hrs (which has been the case for me on several occasions) I guess you're home free?

But yeah foreigner hotels do it for you. If you search on ctrip.com which is the main China hotel and travel website, there's a filter option for it iirc. Otherwise it's your responsibility.

As Caberham says, it's a hangover from the Closed China/Cold War days

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fojar38 posted:

This is also why it's virtually impossible for foreigners to leave any of the main urban areas unless its with a state-sanctioned guide, lest they get endlessly harassed and possibly arrested

Jesus loving Christ. This is totally blown out of proportion. Take your bullshit and shove it down your throat. I feel gross because you are making me feel like a Pevan Stan

Tibet and parts of Xinjiang? Maybe.

Rest of rural china? What state sanctioned guides? Most tour guides probably just lucked their way into being one. There’s no ominous tourist industry lording over foreigners.

There are no go zones in military bases but for all travel purposes it’s fine to travel around - other issues aside

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Transit visas don't allow travel outside the immediate Shanghai/Beijing/airport city limits but idk how they enforce it (probably when/if you register at a rural police station).

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

peanut posted:

Transit visas don't allow travel outside the immediate Shanghai/Beijing/airport city limits but idk how they enforce it (probably when/if you register at a rural police station).

Basically you need your passport to book a train or flight. Not sure about booking a non-local bus (basically if you book a greyhound-style coach I think you may need a passport number but I'm not sure)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fish and chips and dip posted:

I'm in good China now, and I noticed that outside one of the Taipei 101 entrances there were about 10 PRC flags flying, at street level. I decided not to investigate because ugh...

They're is someone there every day doing that. I have also never gotten close enough.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I have been super lucky in Asia wrt the police, I am literally the only person I know out here who has never been hassled even once.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah ok but why

Like all communists, the communist party of China is extremely authoritarian.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

simplefish posted:

Basically you need your passport to book a train or flight. Not sure about booking a non-local bus (basically if you book a greyhound-style coach I think you may need a passport number but I'm not sure)

Back in the day I’d take coach busses or trains between cities frequently and would just walk up to the ticket window and tell them when/where and pay for a ticket no passport required.

In 3 years in China I only used my passport for borders, for hotels, for an apartment, and I think once when I made a big purchase at a department store.

Was never hassled by a policeman or solicited for a bribe, but I would get poo poo, have to be presented to a supervisor about my 6+ year old passport photo with different hair at borders pretty frequently.

I always pushed the happy button on the "rate me" doohickey though!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One good part of Sichuan is the police are too busy sleeping to hassle anyone.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b3_1518355434

No death, sorry for the liveleak link. people get burned though

What the gently caress even

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

EasternBronze posted:

I have been super lucky in Asia wrt the police, I am literally the only person I know out here who has never been hassled even once.

The police in Taichung this year are getting more andore prissy about ticketing. The majority of their work is basically scooter meter maids. I got yelled at by a cop for dropping my wife at the train station, which I have done literally hundreds of times on a scooter, and yelled at for parking, which I wasn't doing. So I said "no, I wasn't" and drove away in front of him. Another co-worker was taken over to the side of the road and screamed at for five minutes because she was checking Google maps at a red light.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

The chinese fear of sunlight can get pretty ridiculous. I saw a big group of tourists, mostly 20-somethings not old grannies, all huddled under huge black umbrellas. At the same time they were all zipped in in parkas because it was only like 18c out. Everyone else around them is enjoying the spring weather, the sun, the warmth, and they're huddled under umbrellas while also dressed for arctic survival. They were moving in a tight group like some roman turtle formation because there weren't enough umbrellas for everyone and obviously even a few seconds in direct sunlight would explode them like a vampire.

Like god drat you're already in jackets with hoods, hats with visors, you're going to be ok, enjoy the weather and your vacation.

lol i went to hong kong disneyland last week, and even though it was a pretty hot day i was wondering why everybody was just sitting on top of each other in what little shade there was instead of walking around

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

They're is someone there every day doing that. I have also never gotten close enough.

I googled it and now I wish I didn't. They are pro-unification demonstrators:

quote:

Nearly half a year later, the troublemakers are still there, mixing with tourists and vying for space with Falun Gong practitioners who have been just as persistent in occupying the square in front of the tower. It doesn’t take a nuclear physicist to realize that this is a potentially explosive mix, and in fact several incidents have occurred. One Falun Gong member was repeatedly punched by a female member of the pro-unification group, and the (much) older gentlemen who wave the flags have occasionally used their flagpoles and placards to hit people who disagree with their ideology. There have also been skirmishes, especially when pro-Taiwan independence activists have turned up at the site, as they did earlier today.

Councilors have raised the matter at the Taipei City Council and confronted Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌). Besides the fact that the rallies are a real annoyance and have surpassed legal noise thresholds, Chinese citizens are getting away with participating in political activities in Taiwan, a violation of current laws that other foreigners have been punished for. Some people have argued that allowing such public displays, however “extreme,” is not necessarily a bad thing, as it shows the virtues of openness to visiting Chinese tourists who can only dream of such freedoms back in their country. While there is some merit to this argument, it loses all legitimacy when violence gets involved. Pro-unification elements are now behaving in a way that might be regarded as “normal” in China, but that is not welcome in democratic Taiwan: they’re attacking people, and police simply looks on.
http://thinking-taiwan.com/whos-waving-those-ccp-flags/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've been harassed by the police once in Asia and that was last year when some Thai cops flagged down a taxi my buddy and I were in late on a Saturday night. This was apparently a "routine" drug search and they patted us down and rifled through our wallets where they stumbled upon my friend's Bangkok Post badge. We were sent on our way without another word.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also have only been hassled by cops in Bangkok. My friend and I were doing the very suspicious thing of walking to a Japanese grocery store.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Khorne posted:

In the US, too. Some states have messed up liquor laws when it comes to out of state IDs. Think the drinking age is 21? Try 25, or even not being able to buy alcohol at all, with certain out of state IDs in some of the states.

I don't personally drink, but I've had people visiting run into this issue.

I'm sure there are plenty of other dumb laws that you'll never encounter in day to day life that someone visiting here could potentially encounter.

This was a few pages back, but I doubt seriously any US state has a statute that restricts alcohol sales to people with local state ID only. Liquor stores, bars, and other places may be suspicious of out of state IDs and may decline them out of policy, but there is definitely not a law on the books, for example, in texas that says no new mexico licenses allowed for liquor purchases. That sort of law would be completely unconstitutional.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Of course they never did, what possible reason would they have to do so? Being a normal country that exists within the normal deterrence system we've settled into between the nuclear armed states, sure, but giving them up? lol no.
They've also witnessed the dogpile onto the last guy who gave up his WMDs

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
The problem with traveling to rural China is not the police but the fact that you're in rural China

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
To be fair to China, rural anywhere is a nightmare.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's all rural China, just some places have skyscrapers.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

This was a few pages back, but I doubt seriously any US state has a statute that restricts alcohol sales to people with local state ID only. Liquor stores, bars, and other places may be suspicious of out of state IDs and may decline them out of policy, but there is definitely not a law on the books, for example, in texas that says no new mexico licenses allowed for liquor purchases. That sort of law would be completely unconstitutional.
It's extremely common in MA to deny out of state IDs. You will get your liquor license suspended if you serve to someone with a counterfeit ID that's not on the 6 accepted forms of ID (MA license, MA liquor id, MA state id, passport, passport card, military id). And even on those 6, you'll often be denied liquor for foreign passports they are unfamiliar with and passport cards because most places have no idea what a valid one looks like. Admittedly, establishments familiar with the law will accept anything on those six as long as it says 21+ and doesn't look totally bogus because they are protected by law. Out of state IDs, notably, aren't on that list.

Lots of big chain stores have rules about having to be 25+ (or older) with out of state IDs. The idea being, someone under 21 with a fake ID probably won't look 25+ or have an ID that says 25+.

I've experienced it first hand with someone with a korean passport getting denied liquor purchases despite being 24 as well as people with CA, Ohio, and other licenses who were 25+. Lots of establishments just straight up won't serve out of state IDs. And the government does stings where they try to buy alcohol with fake out of state IDs which makes businesses even more paranoid. It's real dumb.

There's no explicit statute, but with how the law is structured that's how it plays out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 21, 2018

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

simplefish posted:

The loophole is that you need to register with the PSB within 24 hrs of arriving in a place. If you stay less that 24hrs (which has been the case for me on several occasions) I guess you're home free?
Last time I was in China, when I arrived (in 2016), I went to register and the police told me I lived too far away (like 2km) and to go register with the other office. I went there and they said the same thing and told me to go back to one I was just at. I didn't go back, and a couple days later the police evicted me saying they don't want foreigners living in that area of Shenzhen. I moved into my boss's spare office.

It was a month before I got the apartment I stayed in the rest of the time in China. When I went to register at the PSB they said I was in China for a month and didn't register, and my boss said "but now he lives in a new place, so he is registering, so he needs new registration because he this is a new address." The guy said what about my old address registration papers? My boss said "But this is the new one! He's here now! Old things don't matter!" The guy said "ok" and that was it. I even brought the 2k-whatever RMB for the fine that I was thinking I might have to pay. Chabuduo wins again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Khorne posted:

It's extremely common in MA to deny out of state IDs. You will get your liquor license suspended if you serve to someone with a counterfeit ID that's not on the 6 accepted forms of ID (MA license, MA liquor id, MA state id, passport, passport card, military id). And even on those 6, you'll often be denied liquor for foreign passports they are unfamiliar with and passport cards because most places have no idea what a valid one looks like. Admittedly, establishments familiar with the law will accept anything on those six as long as it says 21+ and doesn't look totally bogus because they are protected by law. Out of state IDs, notably, aren't on that list.

Lots of big chain stores have rules about having to be 25+ (or older) with out of state IDs. The idea being, someone under 21 with a fake ID probably won't look 25+ or have an ID that says 25+.

I've experienced it first hand with someone with a korean passport getting denied liquor purchases despite being 24 as well as people with CA, Ohio, and other licenses who were 25+. Lots of establishments just straight up won't serve out of state IDs. And the government does stings where they try to buy alcohol with fake out of state IDs which makes businesses even more paranoid. It's real dumb.

There's no explicit statute, but with how the law is structured that's how it plays out.

That last part was the whole point of my post. Absolutely some establishments will implement policy restricting sales, but there cannot be a state law that does so because it would violate a number of constitutional provisions. With realID compliant IDs now, there should be even less of this going forward since there is now a federal standard.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Bajaj posted:

It was a month before I got the apartment I stayed in the rest of the time in China. When I went to register at the PSB they said I was in China for a month and didn't register, and my boss said "but now he lives in a new place, so he is registering, so he needs new registration because he this is a new address." The guy said what about my old address registration papers? My boss said "But this is the new one! He's here now! Old things don't matter!" The guy said "ok" and that was it. I even brought the 2k-whatever RMB for the fine that I was thinking I might have to pay. Chabuduo wins again.

If I forgot, or "forgot" to register with the PSB within 24 hours I would just get the housing contract, write my name on it and today's date and be like "yeah I totally moved in today" Never gave me trouble like that.

One time, in my second apartment in Shanghai, as I was getting out of the elevator three English speaking policemen stopped me and asked to see all my papers. So I had to take them back to my apartment (:heysexy:) and look through my drawer to get all my papers, luckily I had everything in order, and they were like "Yeah ok".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkest Auer posted:

The problem with traveling to rural China is not the police but the fact that you're in rural China

I was talking to a recent immigrant from rural china and he said the thing he liked the best in Canada is that there's no bandits. He was saying in rural china actual highwaymen are a big problem where he lived and you always had to carry cash because if you were walking from one village to another there was a good chance they'd stop you and you'd have to pay. Sometimes they were straight up bandits threatening violence, sometimes they were semi-officials of some sort just extracting bribes from the locals, but either way it was always a looming threat.

I thought China had no crime?!

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I was talking to a recent immigrant from rural china and he said the thing he liked the best in Canada is that there's no bandits. He was saying in rural china actual highwaymen are a big problem where he lived and you always had to carry cash because if you were walking from one village to another there was a good chance they'd stop you and you'd have to pay. Sometimes they were straight up bandits threatening violence, sometimes they were semi-officials of some sort just extracting bribes from the locals, but either way it was always a looming threat.

I thought China had no crime?!

Funny thing about crime statistics: there's only statistics for paperwork-related and reported crime. Anything not reported and anything that doesn't get written documentation doesn't count.

So that barfight where they're slamming each other with chairs? Participants throw enough RMB around to pay for things, bribe the cops, and it "never happened" as a crime. No trouble for anybody, and everyone saves face.

Or when you get pulled over and the cop just gives you a warning.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bandits? Is China Mount and Blade? They need to import some Mongol horse archers.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oohhboy posted:

Bandits? Is China Mount and Blade? They need to import some Mongol horse archers.

I mean it sounds like yeah, literally there are villages being extorted by Mountain Bandits.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
pfft bandits

civil forfeiture is the way to go

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Warbird posted:

Is there a great deal of wisdom in rolling out a facial recognition system to a country where it’s totally normal to wear a mask for pretty much any reason?

I don't know if I covered it before, but a lot of the "facial recognition" stuff is just one link in a net used to track people. In the places where they are going hog wild rolling it out they have a lot of cameras that are tracking people using facial features. What they don't mention is that they are also tracking noticeable characteristics about your wardrobe, what you are carrying, your height, shape, size, and anything else that distinguishes you from the rest of the people walking in the crowded streets. When you go through a checkpoint (like in a subway station, bus station, big mall, government building, or hospital) various RFID chips are scanned which are embedded in your various cards (id, bank, taxi, bike rental, etc). These are tied to your identity, and confirm to the system that it is in fact tracking the right person. Now there are a ton of places in China that take or even require you to use some manner of pay program app installed on your phone. When walking through certain areas, the scanning resolution is good enough that they can tell your exact position (within a foot), which also goes into the tracking system to confirm your identity.

So while they claim it's a facial recognition system, the cameras actually equipped to properly scan and identify you via your facial features are few and far between. Using the other parts of the system allows the CCP to track you through your typical day (assuming your are in an urban area that is so equipped). So even if you never remove your surgical mask with the Pokemon character on it throughout the entire day, they can still tell exactly who you are, where you've been, what you have done, anything you have purchased, and use that information against you.

When the system is integrated into the "social media platform for good citizens" it will automatically be able to add or deduct points based on your use of public transit, how often you j-walk, how many times you have shown up late for work, and if you are tracked being around people who are considered "troublemakers".

It's been a while since I have read 1984, but Xi and friends have them beat by a pretty sick margin when it comes to watching and tracking its citizens.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Bajaj posted:

Chabuduo wins again.

One time about a year into living at a place the police came to the door because they heard a foreigner lived there and they wanted to check my papers. Someone else answered and I wasn't home so they said "Okay we'll come back another time".

I stayed there another 4 years and nobody came back.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
China is literally Midgar from FF7

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LentThem posted:

One time about a year into living at a place the police came to the door because they heard a foreigner lived there and they wanted to check my papers. Someone else answered and I wasn't home so they said "Okay we'll come back another time".

I stayed there another 4 years and nobody came back.

Right before the Olympics came to Beijing and Shenyang (where the soccer/football events were taking place) the police apparently tried to interview every foreign citizen who was a resident of the city. Everyone in my language school (about 40 teachers scattered about the city) were interviewed Even bigwigs working in the VW and Samsung offices were interviewed as well. It was basically just, "Papers please. . . we don't speak any other English/German/Russian/Korean . . . we take photo now, <click> good bye!" One Russian lady who was working at a local university and spoke some Mandarin said that the officers were trying to "subtly" find out if she had a price.

In China :ussr: woman = Prostitute

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

what was her price

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The scene was Shanghai’s Hyatt on the Bund last Thursday night.

Ciobo, the first minister from Malcolm Turnbull’s government to visit China in eight months, had just taken the stage in an attempt to add some balm to recent wounds to the China-Australia relationship.

…the ­visiting minister was hard to make out over the clattering of plates that began, loudly, exactly when he started speaking.

It would have been written off as bad luck if it wasn’t for Ciobo’s “microphone incident” the following night.

The scene was the St Regis Shanghai, the venue for a gala dinner hosted by Gill McLachlan’s AFL before Port Adelaide thumped Gold Coast at Jiangwan Stadium.

…When Ciobo took the stage, a microphone that moments before had worked perfectly for McLachlan became almost inaudible once the Trade Minister stood in front of it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cry Havoc posted:

what was her price

I don't think most pudgy, sweaty, stinky, Chinese police officers that roll around the glorious 3rd tire rust-belt city of Shenyang can afford to convince foreign university professors to overlook that they are pudgy, sweaty, stinky, Chinese police officers.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

do chinese police have civil forfeiture like the us that would help their finances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cry Havoc posted:

do chinese police have civil forfeiture like the us that would help their finances

No, they don't need to go through all that additional hassle.

• Locked thread