Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Begby posted:

There are a quite a few public APIs that will let you submit an IP address and will return the geolocation. I used melissadata awhile ago and it worked well. Just google 'ip geolocation'.

There's also a few libraries that offer offline geo-locating. Just in case you use the service for so long it changes into not-free or breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I finally had to bite the bullet and buy a new computer as my ~6 year old mac production rig is dying. This time around I'd like to install node, npm, rvm, etc. in a non-idiotic way that'll allow me to easily switch versions, update things, etc. Is Homebrew still the best way to set things up?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

kedo posted:

I finally had to bite the bullet and buy a new computer as my ~6 year old mac production rig is dying. This time around I'd like to install node, npm, rvm, etc. in a non-idiotic way that'll allow me to easily switch versions, update things, etc. Is Homebrew still the best way to set things up?

use NVM (Node Version Manager)
follow every step on their github and it'll work like a charm, no Homebrew required

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Here's a problem I thought I'd never have again... I'm having issues with color profiles in Firefox. Apparently Firefox uses a calibrated monitor colorspace instead of sRGB. So images that I've exported as sRGB that are the exact same hex as a background color set by CSS appear washed out by comparison (because Firefox thinks my monitor wants all colors to be way brighter). Example:

Firefox on the left, Chrome on the right.

The blue within the coffee cup is part of the png, while the blue background @ the top of the image is from CSS. In Firefox they don't match as they should. If I disable color management in Firefox everything looks fine, but that's not a great solution.

I have a workaround for this particular image since I can just remove the blue within the cup, but I'm curious if anyone knows if it's possible to set/disable color management via CSS or JS or something like that?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
This is kind of a weird question for this thread maybe, but I thought someone might have come across this themselves and might be able to help. I've set up a new work computer and have installed Chrome on it (Windows 10, running under Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro). For some reason Chrome will randomly fail to resolve requests. There seems to be nothing in common between the requests that it fails on. Sometimes it's the initial page load, sometimes it's a CSS, JS or some other requested file within the page, sometimes it's an AJAX call. It happens on any site, not just a particular domain or anything like that.

When I say "failed", I mean the requests take a long time and then eventually time out. I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome. I've removed all of the userdata from the machine and even removed some of the registry stuff that I saw suggested somewhere after Googling for the issue. But nothing seems to work. Has anyone ever seen this before?

By the way, IE and Firefox work fine.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I guess this is more of a career/industry question rather than anything technology-specific but I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts.

I've been doing webdev professionally for about 8 1/2 years now. It's mostly been site-building/CMS stuff though I have dabbled and have a little experience with front end stuff (SASS/Gulp/Vue) and a minimal amount of server management (though I don't particularly enjoy it). I guess the current buzzword would be 'full stack developer'.

I market myself as a back-end/Drupal developer and feel I have a fairly intermediate/advanced grasp on PHP, MySQL and Javascript, several major CMS platforms and I'm currently teaching myself Laravel as well as Vue frontends using REST APIs.

Throughout my career I've worked mainly with digital agencies doing varying work for varying clients and this is where my question comes in. Not long ago I left my job of over 5 years because it was a very small team of developers with not a lot of room for professional growth either in learning new technologies or climbing a career ladder. On top of that the project management was all too often terrible with little to no thought on technical feasibility or reasonable deadlines.

Since leaving that job I've come to a larger agency which has more promising prospects for career growth and advancement, however I'm discovering that I'm getting into similar situations or having too much work assigned to me, having projects assigned that are not planned properly with unreasonable expectations, and really not doing the kind of work that I was hired to do.

Now I've only been in this current job for a few months so I'm keen to show that I'm willing to learn and do my best, but I've been feeling recently that I'm getting really stressed out: the tasks I'm assigned I can't do because I either don't have the information I need to do them; I haven't had the training I need to do them or I simply do not have enough time in the day to do them. It makes me feel like I'm letting the company down and that I'm lazy or incompetent and I still don't feel like I've been assigned to do the work I was initially hired to do.

So my question for you guys is this: is this typical of digital agency work? If I resigned and went on to another agency would I end up in the same place? As agency work has been the bulk of my professional experience I'm not familiar with what other webdev jobs there are and what the work is like day-to-day.

I'm probably being melodramatic and it might just be a bad couple of weeks for the company, but I'm worried I'm going to be stuck working on projects I don't like doing or can't do.

Sorry for the long essay/rant - I didn't think it would come out this long

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

nexus6 posted:

So my question for you guys is this: is this typical of digital agency work? If I resigned and went on to another agency would I end up in the same place? As agency work has been the bulk of my professional experience I'm not familiar with what other webdev jobs there are and what the work is like day-to-day.

I'm in a very similar boat to you, and the answer is yes in my experience. I worked in house with a small firm for six years (we sub contracted with larger firms from time to time), and I've spent the last four years freelancing with a slew of different agencies. They're all more or less the same and it's due to the type of work they go after. I'm working with a firm now that's probably "the best" I've worked with according to all your criteria, and they still do incredibly dumb stuff all the time because they're focused on getting projects out the door first, everything else second. I've spent the past week fiddling with a stupid search filter, changing a widget to do X instead of Y and then changing it back, because the project manager has her head up her rear end and won't allow me to ask direct questions to the client.

I'm considering making a big career shift because of this, because I don't see how it could ever change. I had one ongoing project for about three years where I was helping to produce an online product (instead of online marketing of some sort) and it was vastly more fulfilling because I felt like I could finally see a project through to fruition, giving it all the care and attention it deserved.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I recently switched to working for a product after 10 years of agency work. I was in management at the agency (as well as being a dev) and did everything I could think of to improve processes but you can never get rid of the client factor or the budget factor. I know there are better people than me who have probably made things smoother at their agencies but for me working on one product has been a breath of fresh air. I doubt I would return to agency life unless I could be promised not to work on more than 2 projects per year. The grind from project to project is exhausting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I don’t have the heart to do agency work anymore. Being on a product team means (ideally) everyone has the same goal of launching good work in the most efficient way possible. My brush with agency or consultancy involved so much extra fluff and bullshit and so much of the work has the hint of chasing down more work.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the responses. I'm keen to learn more specifically about what 'product work' entails - is it like there's only one large site/app you work on and different teams do different features/bugfixes or something? Is it like having only 1 project with 1 client? I'm not very good at visualising what the job is like.

How does it work with constantly emerging web technologies? In agency work we're constantly getting new libraries/technologies we can use with the aim of using them to improve future projects (not always the case). Does a similar thing apply in product work?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Agency work is always "we're not exactly sure what we're building, but I know for a fact we don't quite have all the resources we need and it's due next week."

Anyone here a full-time UI / UX person who only codes a little for prototyping? After 20+ years of being the Everything Guy™ (Front and backed dev, IT guy, copywriter, UI designer, graphic designer, etc.) I'm just burnt out on trying to keep current in 15 areas at once. Hopefully in the next few months the two person startup I work for is going to be hiring and I'll get to actually pick a role to live in. I'd love to hear about transitioning into that role, what tools you use, gotchas and other "I wish I knew ___ before I..." stuff.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

nexus6 posted:

Thanks for the responses. I'm keen to learn more specifically about what 'product work' entails - is it like there's only one large site/app you work on and different teams do different features/bugfixes or something? Is it like having only 1 project with 1 client? I'm not very good at visualising what the job is like.

How does it work with constantly emerging web technologies? In agency work we're constantly getting new libraries/technologies we can use with the aim of using them to improve future projects (not always the case). Does a similar thing apply in product work?

Imagine a bigass piece of software like Word, or Photoshop. There are teams that just focus on that one single product, or if it's big enough, teams that focus on one single part of it. So while what you do every day is different, you have a consistent mental model of what you are working on all the time, because it's "just" one thing. No "Okay, from 9-12 I have to remember Client A needs this and has users that want that, and from 12:30-5 I have to completely shift my headspace to remember what Client B wants" . Basically, the "client" is the company you work for, and you are building software for yourself.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nexus6 posted:

Agile organizations can organize their teams in a bunch of different ways. Spotify became pretty popular for their guild/tribe structure: http://www.full-stackagile.com/2016/02/14/team-organisation-squads-chapters-tribes-and-guilds/

A more direct answer to your question: You can have teams own specific parts of the customer's "journey", you can have teams own the entire customer journey for a specific platform/discipline (frontend web, server side, data, native), you can have teams own specific services and "business domains".

Basically, there's no one "true way" to do it, everyone does it slightly differently, and every way sucks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Agency work is always "we're not exactly sure what we're building, but I know for a fact we don't quite have all the resources we need and it's due next week."

Anyone here a full-time UI / UX person who only codes a little for prototyping? After 20+ years of being the Everything Guy™ (Front and backed dev, IT guy, copywriter, UI designer, graphic designer, etc.) I'm just burnt out on trying to keep current in 15 areas at once. Hopefully in the next few months the two person startup I work for is going to be hiring and I'll get to actually pick a role to live in. I'd love to hear about transitioning into that role, what tools you use, gotchas and other "I wish I knew ___ before I..." stuff.

I’m a full time UI /UXer that hasn’t coded in 2-4 years. I played the everything guy role before cobbling together Wordpress templates with php I learned through stackoverflow when I was really just a design guy.

Everyone is using Sketch for screen or diagram design and InVision for prototypes. Lots of orgs are using zeplin for specs. Prototyping tools are a dime a dozen these days and InVision studio is looking to disrupt the market (adobe also announced XD for free) but InVision still seems to be the most widely used. Basically if you’re coding your prototypes you need to have a really drat good reason for it.

If you’re like me then when you were an everything man you never had the time to really work on researching, interviewing, or diagramming. Documentation and organization is so much more important than having perfectly structured design docs when you’re working at scale.

Also Design Systems is currently the darling buzzword of the industry and you can find a billion medium articles talking about them.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

kedo posted:

Here's a problem I thought I'd never have again... I'm having issues with color profiles in Firefox. Apparently Firefox uses a calibrated monitor colorspace instead of sRGB.

FWIW, I encountered this sometime last year and decided it was pretty much unsolvable/unavoidable (browsers may have changed). I ended up combining SASS, CSS variables, and SVG so that I could define everything with hex in the browser. I ended up managing more of it by hand rather than having a really tight build process but it made the colors right.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Working on the same thing for years has to be boring.

Anyway theres many things worse than that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tei posted:

It could be depending on what kind of product you are working on. Working on a product that is constantly updating or being refine with iterative releases, having room and budget to do research to learn how people are using it and evolve it from that research, is way way way way way way more rewarding then fulfilling a SOW and moving onto the next client and doing the same stuff over and over (in terms of winning them over, presentations, deadlines).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Tei posted:

A major issue I had at my last job (agency work so client after client) was instead of building on what we knew, enhancing our skills and making better and more robust solutions, every new project had to be completely different from all previous ones and built from scratch because it was important to management that we be 'unique'.

Then they wondered why the quality of the work produced was poor when every project was jumping on a new bandwagon nobody had any experience in.

To be honest at this point I wouldn't mind the security of working on the same thing because then I could improve my knowledge and skills of it rather than (this actually just happened) come into work one Monday morning with a plan of the work to do in the week ahead only to find out that actually now you're the lead on a new project that was meant to have started over two weeks ago but nobody told you so add that to your workload.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I'm working as a designer for a large university and while we only really have 1 "product", which is the site website, the corporate structure is so vast that we operate more as an agency for the different departments, developing different products for about 6 months for different clients. It's kind of the best and worst of both worlds, really. We have the insane deadlines and project management along with working only on 1 "main" design at the same time. At the same time, I get a lot of experience with a lot of different kinds of websites and working with clients, and have quite a bit of freedom and a clear career path.

I recently managed to switch my team over to Figma, replacing Invision and Photoshop as our prototyping/design tools. I'm working on our design system and trying to get Pattern Lab implemented. It's a very interesting time to be a designer since there's finally several options to do your work in, with more coming out every day. I'm kind of still waiting for a good animation tool that I can use on PC though.

The thing is, I often find doing atomic design on Figma or similar tools in a flexible, well-structured way, and handing that off to developers is probably less efficient than just learning sass/react/whatever and building the components in partial html files. I'm having to think in divs anyway for frame/component structures. It's hard for me to not try to be the "everything" guy and focus on ui/ux design, especially since we work with an outside developer that has consistently been just bad at front-end work.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maleh-Vor posted:

The thing is, I often find doing atomic design on Figma or similar tools in a flexible, well-structured way, and handing that off to developers is probably less efficient than just learning sass/react/whatever and building the components in partial html files.

I would say try to get the collaboration in a good place instead of doing the work yourself. Have you had conversations with devs about the design system and how to work in it? It's definitely needs to be a collaboration and not a one-way direction.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
I switched from agency work to product work with a small team, and I enjoy it much more. I feel more involved in the whole process, I have more power in choosing how to architect stuff and what technologies to choose. The most important factor for me though is much less context switching and less meetings, both things that would really drain me.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a client who's opening up a spa and I'm exploring the best CMS for them. What's the best CMS for someone who wants easy appointment booking functionality with an online store (selling lotions and stuff)? WordPress is my usual go-to, but this client really wants a hands-off approach to their website and I don't think WordPress is the best choice for them. The only involvement they want in operating the website is changing their online store items from time-to-time. As much as I like WP it just isn't as user friendly and maintenance-free as I'd like it to be. Leaning towards Shopify, but not sure how well they do appointment booking functionality.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 21, 2018

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Got a problem that feels like CSS Grid is probably the best way to handle it, but I'm not sure just how to do that. I've got a set of Foos and a set of Bars that I want to display in columns. There are only 3 Foos, so they should stay in only one column, but there are 8ish Bars, so they should wrap to a new column as additional space becomes available on the screen. Additionally, I want a little bit of guttering between the Foos and the Bars.
The obvious answer, and the one I've been using so far, is to just put them in two separate divs and style them from there, like this Codepen. However, there's an additional hurdle: I want both of these groups to take the same row-height for their items, which I assume means they need to be in the same grid. How can I make this work?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

FWIW, I encountered this sometime last year and decided it was pretty much unsolvable/unavoidable (browsers may have changed). I ended up combining SASS, CSS variables, and SVG so that I could define everything with hex in the browser. I ended up managing more of it by hand rather than having a really tight build process but it made the colors right.

Yeah, this is what I'm assuming I'll need to do in the future. Thankfully I don't have many instances where I need to match an image color to a background color when an SVG isn't an option, but it's still an odd issue. I really thought the times of browsers rendering simple things (like color) wildly differently than other browsers were past.

Thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

melon cat posted:

I have a client who's opening up a spa and I'm exploring the best CMS for them. What's the best CMS for someone who wants easy appointment booking functionality with an online store (selling lotions and stuff)? WordPress is my usual go-to, but this client really wants a hands-off approach to their website and I don't think WordPress is the best choice for them. The only involvement they want in operating the website is changing their online store items from time-to-time. As much as I like WP it just isn't as user friendly and maintenance-free as I'd like it to be. Leaning towards Shopify, but not sure how well they do appointment booking functionality.

Why not just sell them a monthly maintenance package and do the updates for them? If they're not savvy you may end up doing the same amount or more work in support.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

nexus6 posted:

It highly depends on the size of the team and the phase of the product. My whole company is 4 people (two founders, me, and a part time designer) and right now we're rolling out v2 of the successful MVP they launched before I was hired. Once we release the day to day will be all about iterating, adding features, and maybe eventually growing the product line. When we have pain points that can be solved with new tech we will likely rewrite or rearchitect to some degree. Look how many long-standing web products have moved to React on the front end, or something like Go on the back-end.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I will abuse this derail a bit longer.

I have a teammate that says "modern methodologies are against typing down stuff. everything must be done by talking".

I insist on writing down stuff like "when a new version got uploaded" "features".

My logic is if the CEO beam down and talks to a junior developer and give this developer some features the website must have ( feature A, B and C ), these features should be type down by this junior. This scenario should not happen, but if happens, better to have a written version than "the information about these features only exist in the brain of the dev".

I am obsolete? do these methodologies work for people?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Your teammate is really dumb.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Dave posted:

Your teammate is really dumb.

I agree with this person.

I actually try to get all of this kind of stuff into an issue tracker.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Write everything down. Write down the stuff you're planning on doing in the next 3 hours and then write down that you did it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Tei posted:

I have a teammate that says "modern methodologies are against typing down stuff. everything must be done by talking".

kill your teammate, he's too stupid to live

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Everything's a Jira ticket.

Everything.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I like to use something like Trello for keeping track of tasks to do and their progress.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

nexus6 posted:

I like to use something like Trello for keeping track of tasks to do and their progress.

yeah I went from a company that solely uses Trello to a company that does very traditional JIRA/Agile.

Honestly, I like just Trello better with maybe one weekly meeting to review the board. All this stuff that goes into Agile/Scrum is a bit over the top, imo.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Our dev lead won't give us any work unless its been documented in ZenHub, it's pretty nice. Thats not to say whats in the tickets isn't insane.

Well, all except this current project we're working on. I feel bad for him because he's who everyone shouts out to get the features they want added to this package were adding to our internal tools, most of which is coming from the guy who owns the company.

As a result there were multiple requests that I was just told to add, and then a week later rip out all that code and implement some completely different logic because the person who asked for the feature didn't ask the team who would actually use it what they wanted.

We've gotten to the point where we're just polishing everything, and we had a meeting with the CEO where he basically said "yeah this was a terrible way to do this project, sorry guys".

I get where the urgency comes in, we're in a market where your competitor can take your business if they just add some decent sized service that you don't have, I just wished they realized it would go a lot smoother if developers were brought into the loop during the planning phase, seeing as how we're the only ones who know how long things will take or how feasible things are. instead we're brought in to look at the completed mocks, and we go "uh, yeah that button adds three weeks of work".

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ddiddles posted:

I get where the urgency comes in, we're in a market where your competitor can take your business if they just add some decent sized service that you don't have, I just wished they realized it would go a lot smoother if developers were brought into the loop during the planning phase, seeing as how we're the only ones who know how long things will take or how feasible things are. instead we're brought in to look at the completed mocks, and we go "uh, yeah that button adds three weeks of work".
3 weeks? but I already promised everyone it'd be done in a few days!

As long as we're talking about 'the real world', I constantly have a struggle with Creative (mostly) about reinventing the wheel. Like we built a component that does A, B and C given X, Y and Z, but then they want it to do F and J but only sometimes, oh and retroactively work with all the others and never break in the future. Or basically like "yeah I know we have element in the Style Guide, but my page is special", and/or "I don't get to be creative :qq:".
What do you do in those situations?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. Anyone know how to define MIME types with Create-Create-App's node server?

I'm trying to deal with this note:

quote:

Note: To run with instantiateStreaming and compileStreaming, you need your webserver to serve .wasm file with application/wasm MIME type. The https crate can be used to serve files from localhost, and includes the application/wasm MIME type out of the box.
Indeed, I get a MIME error in the JS console. A Google search revealed no way to configure this.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 23, 2018

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
We're currently migrating a bunch of old news content to a new version of the platform. While doing so, we saw that the editorial staff did some pretty awful stuff like change dates to random "Apr 1 0000" to hack the order their articles would appear in, and ignore most of the fields and just use the WYSIWYG for the article body to put in everything, which has made migrating 15 years of different editorial staff a mountain of compromises. I was comparing one of the migrated notes to the current ones to check for any glaring css issues and noticed the new editor is taking some of the same decisions, using generic names in the *now mandatory* author fields and putting the real author inside the WYSIWIG for the article body. I barely mustered a sigh.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I think I have an easy question for someone. I'm not a developer but I used to do small time sites WAY back when. I'm volunteering my time to make and maintain a cub scout website my son is involved with. I had a sidebar (widget) calendar looking good before, but now the height is all messed up and I'm not sure why my style is being overridden.

The page is http://denverncpack83.org
The widget in reference is the calendar upcoming event widget which is the first one. Here is the code for that TEXT widget (that worked previously):

code:
<iframe style="border-width: 0;" src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?showPrint=0&amp;showTabs=0&amp;showTz=0&amp;mode=AGENDA&amp;height=800&amp;wkst=1&amp;bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&amp;src=nccubscoutpack83%40gmail.com&amp;color=%232F6309&amp;ctz=America%2FNew_York" width="300" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Edit: Nevermind... switching it to Custom HTML fixed it. Weird it worked before for months.

simcole fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Maleh-Vor posted:

We're currently migrating a bunch of old news content to a new version of the platform. While doing so, we saw that the editorial staff did some pretty awful stuff like change dates to random "Apr 1 0000" to hack the order their articles would appear in, and ignore most of the fields and just use the WYSIWYG for the article body to put in everything, which has made migrating 15 years of different editorial staff a mountain of compromises. I was comparing one of the migrated notes to the current ones to check for any glaring css issues and noticed the new editor is taking some of the same decisions, using generic names in the *now mandatory* author fields and putting the real author inside the WYSIWIG for the article body. I barely mustered a sigh.

This should be in the coding horrors thread, although I guess this is more a horror FOR a coder, than a horror BY a coder.