Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had to restart Hyrule Warriors because uh, walls were more of a concept than a actual thing. I'm not even sure how to accurately describe it but the floor was missing "tiles" and I could see the lights from a buildings windows from across the entire map through solid walls. Enemy health bars were easily spotted across the map too (as well as the sub-weapon indicator).

Also man, I wonder what level they intended for the normal adventure mode map because it's *nothing* but level 1 weapons. I set out to unlock them and move on and it's just been a utter sleepwalk after finishing legends. 10 minutes to clear two giant bosses? I'll do it in under 1.

Just jeez I kinda wish I did this all sooner so it wouldn't be *this* brain dead. Least after like 2 hours I'm about halfway done with it (aka just grabbing the characters/weapons and bailing out)

Yeah, that happened to me too, probably something to do with memory leaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

DLC Inc posted:

Capcom has the easiest layup in the world right now with porting RE4 to Switch but instead they're loving around with weirdo streaming services. And for gently caress's sake put some DMC games on a Nintendo

Make a game where Dante fights Bayonetta

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Man I was humming https://youtu.be/Dz2xyd3Pi4c while washing the dishes and I just now realized it’s a remix of https://youtu.be/Z0iJ9YpasIM
I’ve probably played this game for over 200 hours

If it is they did a terrible job.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not Operator posted:

Then they smash

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

This guy gets it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had to restart Hyrule Warriors because uh, walls were more of a concept than a actual thing. I'm not even sure how to accurately describe it but the floor was missing "tiles" and I could see the lights from a buildings windows from across the entire map through solid walls. Enemy health bars were easily spotted across the map too (as well as the sub-weapon indicator).

Also man, I wonder what level they intended for the normal adventure mode map because it's *nothing* but level 1 weapons. I set out to unlock them and move on and it's just been a utter sleepwalk after finishing legends. 10 minutes to clear two giant bosses? I'll do it in under 1.

Just jeez I kinda wish I did this all sooner so it wouldn't be *this* brain dead. Least after like 2 hours I'm about halfway done with it (aka just grabbing the characters/weapons and bailing out)

There was a YouTube video review/overview of the Switch version where this happened, but the guy attributed it to possibly a memory leak (he had been playing for several hours.) He restarted his Switch and that fixed it, should it happen again.

The original Wii U adventure maps (the first two in Definitive Edition, I think) were meant to be doable in tandem with Legend Mode progress, so yea those are gonna be a real slog if you've already completed Legend Mode. Might as well bring lower level characters to those to level them up for free, but I suppose high enough level/power to easily get A rankings (if you care about that.)

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Does hyrule warriors have a demo? I played it for a while on wiiu at a mates house years ago and thought it played, looked, and ran like poo poo but am willing to give it a better go this time since the Switch is cool and good

It runs decidedly better -- even handheld mode is a more stable 30FPS than the Wii U version was. Docked aims for 60FPS but often hovers around 40-50FPS with no lack-of-vsync tearing. There's the occasional weird choke exclusively in boss intro cutscenes, and frame drops in the map intro views. No idea what this is about, but who cares. Still a fair deal of pop-in, even with groups of enemies directly near you, but in a game like this, it truly doesn't matter. The absolutely lovely camera tracking contributes to a lot of jitter and bugs me enough to mention it, but doesn't turn me off at all.

It looks just slightly better -- undoubtedly a port. I feel like the lighting effects are way nicer. 1080P now, but still some aliasing, and I couldn't even tell you if they retouched any textures.

It plays exactly the same, albeit with a few quality of life improvements. Most maps have owl statues that can be used as warp points with the ocarina, and on missions that support it, you can instantly swap between heroes on the map with the D-pad.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 21, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

And for gently caress's sake put some DMC games on a Nintendo
Be careful what you wish for, friend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DMC 2 and DmC ports coming soon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

DMC 2 and DmC ports coming soon

lol was just about to post this.

I'd honestly rather have Revengeance on Switch even though the chance of that is 0%. Vanquish, though....

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Not Operator posted:

this would be a short game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

nopantsjack posted:

this would be a short game

Bayonetta standing over Dante, about to kill him, Dante very worried about his fashion sense in death.

"Please... You're ruining these jeans... You've got to save... Jeans"

"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

The original Wii U adventure maps (the first two in Definitive Edition, I think) were meant to be doable in tandem with Legend Mode progress, so yea those are gonna be a real slog if you've already completed Legend Mode. Might as well bring lower level characters to those to level them up for free, but I suppose high enough level/power to easily get A rankings (if you care about that.)

I thought everyone was saying you should finish the story first and then do the adventure maps so that's what I've been doing. Guess I'll get started on the map then.

Also I swear the Switch version looks a lot brighter and more vibrant, but maybe I'm just imagining things. :iiam:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Bayonetta standing over Dante, about to kill him, Dante very worried about his fashion sense in death.

I shouldn't have laughed at this, but I did.

Your Computer posted:

Also I swear the Switch version looks a lot brighter and more vibrant, but maybe I'm just imagining things. :iiam:

There's some comparison videos out that show that the Switch version is a lot brighter and colorful. So, your not just imagining it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

actually a DMC v Bayonetta game where you played Dante and the whole game was you and her trying to do some hell/heaven poo poo and fighting eachother in between chapters as you levelled up and tried to get on an equal footing with the witch goddess of darkness would own

e: and then a mocap sex scene... and here's the gimmick... we show it

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The endgame of each adventure map tends to correlate with the level cap for that particular patch period.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

actually a DMC v Bayonetta game where you played Dante and the whole game was you and her trying to do some hell/heaven poo poo and fighting eachother in between chapters as you levelled up and tried to get on an equal footing with the witch goddess of darkness would own

e: and then a mocap sex scene... and here's the gimmick... we show it

I'm more interested now in the behind the scenes footage of two people wearing green latex and ping pong balls dry humping.

e: poo poo I just realised this might not be a funny joke and might be something that happened for Avatar at some point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not Operator posted:

I'm more interested now in the behind the scenes footage of two people wearing green latex and ping pong balls dry humping.

e: poo poo I just realised this might not be a funny joke and might be something that happened for Avatar at some point.

No we paint their actual skin green, and they perform actual penetration. This isn't Hollywood, this is art

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Today I learned the last boss of Link's Awakening is DethI not Dethl

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Not Operator posted:

This video will sate your curiosity sometime around a minute in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CdRyFneSFs

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Lmao

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Ciaphas posted:

(e) also i just realized splatoon 2 is drat near a year old, is it even worth getting in on the multiplayer as a hopeless doof
The matchmaking is excellent at slotting you with others at a similar level of hopeless doofery, so it stays competitive. Go for it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Your Computer posted:

I thought everyone was saying you should finish the story first and then do the adventure maps so that's what I've been doing. Guess I'll get started on the map then.

I haven't gotten into the new(ish) later maps, but those are harder than the first couple, so getting your levels/weapons up from Legend Mode is probably a good idea for those. As for the first few adventure maps, those can mostly be done whenever. If you clear Legend Mode and then start Adventure Mode, you're just gonna plow through the first few maps in your sleep.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Your Computer posted:

In the wii-u version there was a much, much smaller cast of characters and only one adventure map at the time. That means you were unlocking lvl 1 - 3 stuff all in one map so difficulty ramped up real fast - hell, you couldn't even play half the adventure map without completing legend mode.

Kinda comes from that, now there's so much content they spread it across everything which means it never has to pick up. Also since you have a good chunk of the cast right out the gate you're able to do everything right away.

It's changed :sigh:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

DLC Inc posted:

I'd honestly rather have Revengeance on Switch even though the chance of that is 0%. Vanquish, though....

I am unbelievably miffed that the PC port of Vanquish still hasn't made it onto any other platforms. Switch would be nice (Gyro aiming :shittydog:) but I would also like to play the game at 60fps on PS4. Sega, please do this for me...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I still have faith that Vanquish will see release on current gen consoles. That Shenmue 1&2 HD leak awhile back also had a Bayonetta 1 & Vanquish leak alongside it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Simple tips for new players

*There's a block btw. You can sometimes bring it up if a general is comboing you to just hard shut it down so hold the button if you're getting combo'd and look for a chance to escape.

*Blocking is Z-Targeting from other zelda games, your character will stay facing the locked on enemy and you can keep the camera better under control with it. Handy with big bosses (especially Manhandles as the plant guy can't break through your barrier unless he does the poison mist or his bumrush attack)

*Enemy captains (poes, lizards etc) all of enemy weaknesses but don't stress about hitting them unless they're the flying lizard dudes or poes. Bombs are slow and cumbersome and will get you hit 90% of the time so just dodge

*Make use of the training dojo. You're going to get a ton of rupees in this game so don't fret about hitting 0. You'll make it back in literally no time so keep your dudes buffed.

*In Legends mode :siren: if characters start talking let them finish their script before rushing on ahead. :siren: In Cia's twilight princess map and the final battle against Cia this is SUPER important. The game will give you a objective on these maps and if you rush around you'll fail because the game lies to you. Spoilers below

Final Battle vs Cia When it's time to use the great fairy to destroy her troops you'll get a message to activate the fairy fountain. DO NOT ACTIVATE IT. The characters will talk and decide they shouldn't do it yet because you need to lure Volga and some losers into range before you do. If you blow the fountain early you fail and now have to deal with a turbo volga that will, in all likelyhood, rip your rear end open.

Cia's Twilight Mission When you arrive you'll see Midna and Zant going at it. Your characters will ramble about how they should kill midna but do the opposite. Kill Zant. This removes him from the map and powers Midna up which is kind of a headache but doing it the other way is a recipe for disaster. Once Midna is low on HP/Dead if Zant is alive he'll try to escape and if he gets away you fail. The problem is Midna never shuts the gently caress up during her retreat. She has a million text boxes, and at the end of it Agitha spawns and you have to beat her to get a key to escape and try to reach Zant. By the time all the lines are up and Agitha spawns happy wizard boy is probably at the exit dancing his way away.
If he died first he'll instead spawn a argarok and only try to escape once it's defeated so you have AMPLE time to get the key and kill him. It's messed up

*Make use of the command function. Seriously, it wasn't important in the Wii-U version because it didn't exist but the games balanced entirely around it since Legends. The game wants you to point your entire crew at stuff at all times and always have them doing something. Enemy escaping? Command your guys to go distract them. Lots of events all over the map? Spread your guys out to go deal with the problem. Giant boss? Converge and you'll get special attack bonuses to batter it even faster. It's mega important and cannot be ignored.

*Use Focus to force weak point smashes. I saw some people getting mad at the triple lana thing but spoiler, save your focus and when they spawn they're all in one area. Pop it and hit A and all 3 will expose the gauge and you can just ice em right there. Uh oh they have a little life left and are escaping? Good thing you have command to distract them and they literally won't move if they're engaged with your captains. This works on every giant boss too, so focus smash giant beasts to death. The only one that doesn't benefit from this method is Young Link and by the time you get that kid you'll have a good grasp on the game anyway

*In Legends mode focus on upgrading the core cast of Link - Impa - Lana - Midna - Darunia - Linkle - Cia - Wizzro - Volga - Ganondorf - Gearham - Zant. The others show up and are playable but the story will force these guys on you as much as it can. Midna and Darunia, oddly are the default fills for your playable cast members and you don't want to switch to a unprepared level 1 teammate in the end game.

*Adventure mode make a goal list. Do not stress about heart containers or skulltulas unless they're super easy to get. Your main goal for these modes is to ABU (Always Be Unlocking). Go for characters or weapons and leave the small stuff for things you might want to come back to. If you aim to 100% everything right away you will burn out before you even dream of seeing a full roster/weapons.

*Likewise if you see a level 4 weapon unlock, wait till you have the level 3 weapons for the love of god. Volga is the only one who can skip a tier as far as I'm concerned because he's comically unstoppable even with little effort and his missions are poorly balanced.

tyvm

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How many maps does Hyrule Warriors have? Not the 8-bit Adventure Map overworlds, but "gameplay arenas" you actually fight in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreatGreen posted:

How many maps does Hyrule Warriors have? Not Adventure maps, but "gameplay arenas."

19 or 20 depending on how you count the reskin of the Hyrule castle map.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Capcom is obviously working on a new Power Stone game for Switch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

curried lamb of God posted:

If its not a port of the psp collection it will suck bigly

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

*In Legends mode :siren: if characters start talking let them finish their script before rushing on ahead. :siren: In Cia's twilight princess map and the final battle against Cia this is SUPER important. The game will give you a objective on these maps and if you rush around you'll fail because the game lies to you. Spoilers below

Final Battle vs Cia When it's time to use the great fairy to destroy her troops you'll get a message to activate the fairy fountain. DO NOT ACTIVATE IT. The characters will talk and decide they shouldn't do it yet because you need to lure Volga and some losers into range before you do. If you blow the fountain early you fail and now have to deal with a turbo volga that will, in all likelyhood, rip your rear end open.

Cia's Twilight Mission When you arrive you'll see Midna and Zant going at it. Your characters will ramble about how they should kill midna but do the opposite. Kill Zant. This removes him from the map and powers Midna up which is kind of a headache but doing it the other way is a recipe for disaster. Once Midna is low on HP/Dead if Zant is alive he'll try to escape and if he gets away you fail. The problem is Midna never shuts the gently caress up during her retreat. She has a million text boxes, and at the end of it Agitha spawns and you have to beat her to get a key to escape and try to reach Zant. By the time all the lines are up and Agitha spawns happy wizard boy is probably at the exit dancing his way away.
If he died first he'll instead spawn a argarok and only try to escape once it's defeated so you have AMPLE time to get the key and kill him. It's messed up

*Adventure mode make a goal list. Do not stress about heart containers or skulltulas unless they're super easy to get. Your main goal for these modes is to ABU (Always Be Unlocking). Go for characters or weapons and leave the small stuff for things you might want to come back to. If you aim to 100% everything right away you will burn out before you even dream of seeing a full roster/weapons.

click those spoilers, i forgot about the first one and boy is fighting an accidentally super buffed enemy that is already tough the most annoying poo poo ever, it’s almost lu bu bad.

seconding this approach to adventure mode unlocks also, I burned out from trying to get everything in each square and didn’t get to the dlc maps at all last time. it’s not necessary or that helpful to get the extra heart containers for everyone.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I played Legends as well, I just don't remember adventure mode maps being THIS easy. Like I could of sworn it had some level 2 weapons on it at the very least. This is just gatekeeping toothpicks for my level 50 link to just bulldoze through.

No. Lv. 2 weapons only started showing up on the Great Sea Map in Legends. The only lv. 2 weapons you were able to get before that was the ones found in Legend Mode. The only additions to OG Adventure Map in this game is the Classic Link costume, the WW Ganondorf costume, and Linkle's Lv. 1 Boots.

Also, it seems you get experience much more easily in this game (because the level cap is 255 from the very beginning) so that might be what's throwing you off.

Speaking of, having Ganondorf's Lv. 2 Great Sword before I'm even finished with the OoT and SS parts of Legend Mode is something to behold. :allears: (As is getting Tetra and King Daphnes at extremely high levels for when you're possibly able to get them.)

And then there's the Lorule Map mission where you're beating up Gorons that have summoners in them: Holy moley 10000+ KOs in 20 minutes and 100000+ Rupees per go is loving great! (As well as 5-4 levels a go for low-level characters on a mission that isn't even very hard.)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It's hosed up that they never put Wang Tang in any of the mvc games

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The one thing that really bugs me about Hyrule Warriors is the scripting jank when you lose a scenario. It can take like 15-20 seconds of going through all the messages the game has generated for about how you lost before you can even press the Start button to get to the menu that lets you resume from a checkpoint. During this time you cannot attack or go into any other menus, all you can do is just run around waiting for the game to let you play it again.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

HW question: is the Linkle mission at hyrule castle with Impa the last Legends mode mission?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Just gave me a port of Power Stone Collection

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Emron posted:

HW question: is the Linkle mission at hyrule castle with Impa the last Legends mode mission?

Theres also 4 Wind Waker missions if you haven't done those yet.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Wait, so you level significantly more quickly in Definitive Edition? If that's true, maybe will pick it up somewhere down the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Asked before but not answered, is there any penalty to treasure or xp for playing on easy mode? It asked me if wanted to do I said "Yeah ok sure"

• Locked thread