Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

QuarkJets posted:

Hunting is a popular pastime in Hawaii, and by area it's a relatively large fraction of rural land compared to most other states, so gun ownership rates are relatively high. Plus the state has a higher-than-average rate of reclusive doomsday-prepper weirdos, and of course they're going to have guns.

But at the same time it has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. Universal background checks with no exceptions (including private sales), universal firearm registration, magazine capacity restrictions. And perhaps most importantly, it's a lot harder to smuggle guns into Hawaii from other states. This is a reminder of the importance of federal legislation; if 1 state has extremely lax gun laws, then all of the surrounding states can suffer from smuggling.

so the us should be generally more like hawaii, checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Sans the whole exploding with lava part.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm, so Hawaii has some of the countries strictest gun laws, but still has fairly high gun ownership. Seems to indicate that gun regulations aren't very effective at lowering gun ownership rates. This implies that if the goal is lower gun ownership, then it would be best to focus efforts on garnering support for at least replacing the 2nd amendment with something that can actually lower gun ownership rates, like allowing the federal government to regulate interstate gun sales and transfers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

qkkl posted:

Hmm, so Hawaii has some of the countries strictest gun laws, but still has fairly high gun ownership. Seems to indicate that gun regulations aren't very effective at lowering gun ownership rates. This implies that if the goal is lower gun ownership

The goal is fewer people being shot.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Actually the goal is taking the guns of all the Real Americans so we can install a Marxist Totalitarian Government with Sharia Law, like we did in Europe.

e: though I mean, if as a side effect less people get shot then that's a nice bonus

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

qkkl posted:

Hmm, so Hawaii has some of the countries strictest gun laws, but still has fairly high gun ownership. Seems to indicate that gun regulations aren't very effective at lowering gun ownership rates. This implies that if the goal is lower gun ownership, then it would be best to focus efforts on garnering support for at least replacing the 2nd amendment with something that can actually lower gun ownership rates, like allowing the federal government to regulate interstate gun sales and transfers.

As made evident by Canada and Australia, you can have a fairly high gun ownership with few deaths if you just background check and keep crazy fuckers like DR from touching them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

qkkl posted:

Hawaii is unusual because there's a cottage industry of gun tourism from other countries with gun restrictions. People on vacation there from, e.g., Japan, will pay to fire a semiauto in an enclosed range. It got a string of coverage in 2014.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

qkkl posted:

The goal of gun control is not to reduce gun ownership rates, it's to keep guns away from people who should definitely not have them and to restrict firearm capabilities. Hawaii's laws are effective at meeting those goals

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm looking at their dataset and methods you embarrassment, it can be found with the most perfunctory of searches. They're citing to sources from 2010 and 2013 for gun deaths (which, by the way, introduce nonindependence you don't control for in your chart, you absolute genius), and interstate transfers, and their source for laws was up to date at time of publication, and was accurately reflective of gun laws in that year. There was virtually no state-level change in that year, nor was there any anticipated. You'd be able to tell that if you read the freaking article, or their methods or their background, rather than googling "Brady scorecard" and copying values from the first result into excel!

edit: my god you earned that smbc av
Are you talking about their Part 3 scores? Those are 20% of their total. The bulk of their "method" is scoring states based on their gun laws as of March 2015. As you noted, most states hadn't made significant legislative shifts. I can make the chart again with 2015 data if you think that would be more representative of the effects of March 2015 gun laws, but I'm not going to bother if you don't actually agree with the premise that comparing the Brady campaign's scores to murder rates is a valid way of measuring the effectiveness of gun control in improving public safety.

stone cold posted:

i know you don’t care about any gun related deaths at all because having sex with your guns brings your gross rear end the only pleasure you still feel on this earth, but do you not care about the gun related deaths that aren’t homicides
I think suicides are better handled by increased access to mental health services, rather than by the government trying to keep people from having the means to hurt themselves.

QuarkJets posted:

Hypothetical: if you got your girlfriend pregnant the first time that you had sex with a condom, then based on your personal experience condoms are ineffective at preventing pregnancy. From your point of view, people calling for teens to wear condoms when they have sex are not only ignorant of how sex actually works but wear their ignorance as a badge of honor.

But statistically speaking we do know that condoms are effective at preventing pregnancy, and one individual's personal experience doesn't really change that observation. Statistically speaking, we also know that gun control is effective at reducing the homicide and suicide rate. These statistics have been shoved toward you a thousand times in a thousand ways, and your personal experience doesn't really alter the data. Maybe you personally wouldn't ever benefit from some piece of gun control legislation, but the population as a whole likely would.
Except, in this case, the pro control side would be the folks insisting that access to contraception will promote promiscuity, rather than considering what motivates people to do things in the first place.

Also, all the "data" you refer to is based on the idea that "firearms deaths" is a valid metric of public safety outcomes rather than overall homicide rate.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, all the "data" you refer to is based on the idea that "firearms deaths" is a valid metric of public safety outcomes rather than overall homicide rate.

after all, people who are shot to death *this* way are considerably less dead, and as a result not a threat to public safety

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Except, in this case, the pro control side would be the folks insisting that access to contraception will promote promiscuity, rather than considering what motivates people to do things in the first place.

You're missing the point: personal experience does not make for good policy or even really for a good worldview. If you happen to not like the taste of oranges that doesn't mean that no one likes the taste of oranges, this "my personal experience is what really matters" poo poo that Dead Reckoning tried to pedal is total nonsense and you should be ashamed for trying to defend something so profoundly idiotic.

When you decrease the firearm homicide rate you also reduce the overall homicide rate. This has been shown over and over and over and over. The NRA argument that gun-users would just use knives or clubs or well-trained venomous snakes to murder people is bullshit in a majority of cases. Some violent crime transitions from guns to other weapons, but a lot of it does not because guns provide an ease-of-murder threshold that is unmatched by other weapons

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my favorite dead reckoning idiot argument was when he insisted we couldn't compare murder statistics across countries - like, say, the US vs the UK vs Australia - because different countries might have different definitions of murder

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What, do they consider cops shooting minorities for no reason murder or something? Crazy if true.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

my favorite dead reckoning argument is every single one because he doesn't realize he's defending a position he didn't reason himself into, so demanding people reason him out of it is absurd.

DR, you started with the loving answer (Owning a gun is not bad, therefore) and that's why this is an endless loving debate. Don't distort evidence because you want to be a poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dead Reckoning posted:

comparing the Brady campaign's scores to murder rates is a valid way of measuring the effectiveness of gun control in improving public safety.

This is false. Understand the multiple reasons why and then we can move on to mocking the other parts of your methodology of googling things and slamming them into charts without reading them.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think suicides are better handled by increased access to mental health services, rather than by the government trying to keep people from having the means to hurt themselves.
go go gadget mental health distraction!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Elizabethan Error posted:

right? both would be good, but we're getting neither. for some odd reason.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who gives a gently caress what you think? It turns out, this has been studied, and limiting the means reduces suicides.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

no wait but you see "flips to random page in an encyclopedia" it says here that guns are actually cool and good so clearly gun control wouldn't help anyone

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Elizabethan Error posted:

love this dr tactic so much

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*squats next to a huge bookcase full of reports and data showing that gun control works, takes a wet poo poo on some graph paper and begins smearing it around* Look at this, clearly gun control doesn't work!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Pretty smart article...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/machiavellians-gulling-the-rubes/201805/what-the-texas-school-shooting-suspects-pins-tell-us

We need to stop glamorizing these guys.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

That's a bogus argument, for it to work you need to globally censor all discussion.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
time from implementation of this rule to the first "THE STORY THE LIBERAL MEDIA DOESN'T WANT YOU TO HEAR" article: over or under fifteen seconds

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ze Pollack posted:

time from implementation of this rule to the first "THE STORY THE LIBERAL MEDIA DOESN'T WANT YOU TO HEAR" article: over or under fifteen seconds

so fast it might violate laws of relativity

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's effectively impossible to stop what you're describing as glamorization; when a school shooting happens everyone wants to talk about it, and they want to learn the shooter's motivations, because gossip is something that humans have been doing for millenia. It's one of our most common, most natural behaviors. Yes, copycat criminals are real, but we live in a society of people who want to know juicy details and are willing to pay for them, and all it takes is 1 news organization favoring cash over principles for the entire scheme to fail. Maybe this could work, but probably not in modern capitalist society.

So instead of fighting our basic instinct to talk to each other about things, perhaps we could focus on reducing the rate that these tragedies occur through other means. Naturally that would not only make copycat crimes more difficult to commit, but fewer people will want to commit them since the rate overall will have decreased. Perhaps we could pass laws that somehow restrict or perhaps control the most commonly used, deadliest weapons in these tragedies?

e: fishmech used fewer words to say my first paragraph and he's right. People are too interested and there's so much money on the line so of course details are going to be published. The media has a small share of the blame, but not a significant share. We need other solutions. It seems like nearly every other Western nation managed to get their school shooting rate down to around 0/year without having to censor the media to get there, why don't we try some of those strategies?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 22, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Like the very idea that you can just have The Media shut up about it and so people can't hear it... it's a very 1950s concept and it'd have barely been true then. Much less anytime since chatting online became something most people could do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'll give credit where credit is due, "just censor the media" is much less dumb than the Dead Reckoning canned response of "none of the data points matter unless they agree with my personal experience", and marginally less dumb than the modern conservative responses to school shootings this week which included "schools have too many doors" and "high school girls need to start putting out more"

(not referring to anyone in particular here) conservatives have run out of acceptable responses to school shootings so they're fishing around for literally anything and coming up with the most bizarre poo poo imaginable and it'd be funny if it wasn't at the expense of a bunch of dead children

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 22, 2018

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

lol, the only way to accomplish that would be to revert back to before the printing press was invented. :downsbravo:

e: also that's a blog, not an article. it's just some dude quoting Dr Dietz and a bunch of words fellating him, hardly a credible source

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gossip, more important than dead kids

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

gossip, more important than dead kids

no one is making that argument

if you think that there's a simple way of ending humanity's urge to gossip about every little thing then by all means, explain it

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Just because it would be difficult to improve how we cover these tragedies doesn't mean it's a waste of time to try.

That's about as bad an argument as it's too hard to disarm the American citizenry so why bother trying.

Obviously some countries are doing this better than us. Maybe the whole don't show his picture and don't show his last name on television news is a good start.

I think we all can agree one of the factors in people wanting to cause these tragedies is being remembered and famous. Shouldn't we also work on that ?

This won't solve the issue of mass shooters by itself. But trying to limit the notoriety of the suspect will help. Along with the more important legislation that needs to happen like background checks , safety course, waiting periods , free mental health support for the young and uninsured and stronger laws about having guns locked up properly in people's houses.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 22, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A lot of the media has a policy of trying to not talk about the shooter's identity (in my country its also policy to leave out as many details as possible when they write about suicides), but that's still less effective than gun regulations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

patonthebach posted:

Just because it would be difficult to improve how we cover these tragedies doesn't mean it's a waste of time to try.

Funny, we keep making the same argument about implementing gun control and your side doesn't seem to buy that reasoning when we use it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Funny, we keep making the same argument about implementing gun control and your side doesn't seem to buy that reasoning when we use it.

Don’t virtually all the posters in this thread agree on better background checks and better healthcare etc? Stuff that will actually lower the rate of gun crime?

And a few that don’t agree on total disarmament of the citizenry are seen as not giving an inch crazies, right ?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

zapplez posted:

Don’t virtually all the posters in this thread agree on better background checks and better healthcare etc? Stuff that will actually lower the rate of gun crime?

When phrased as "better checks" and "better healthcare" but that agreement evaporates them moment you start talking actual policy or in context of a proposal that includes a feature ban of their favorite unnecessary gadget because it is much better we do absolutely nothing than do something that goes an inch over their arbitrary and invisible line.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DR is for better healthcare in theory when it's a good distraction after a mass shooting, but if you look at his D&D post history he is against every single actual proposal for better healthcare because it costs too much and we're taxed too much already and illegal immigrants might use it and the poor should just work harder and anyway we need to start spending 100% of the federal budget on military-industrial-complex grift (the industry he just so happens to work in) instead of only half of it.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VitalSigns posted:

DR is for better healthcare in theory when it's a good distraction after a mass shooting, but if you look at his D&D post history he is against every single actual proposal for better healthcare because it costs too much and we're taxed too much already and illegal immigrants might use it and the poor should just work harder and anyway we need to start spending 100% of the federal budget on military-industrial-complex grift (the industry he just so happens to work in) instead of only half of it.

Also it is an overall distraction from the actual cultural issues that prevent effective utilization of mental healthcare even in the face of availability as well as the fact that it requires preventative approach to mental health that won't be effective for people who are being treated yet still attempt to off themselves or others during a downturn.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
"Better healthcare" as a gun control, loving lol

Americans are a broken people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unoriginal Name posted:

"Better healthcare" as a gun control, loving lol

Americans are a broken people

large amounts of us despise people like dead reckoning and other gun nuts :unsmith:

• Locked thread