Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
With the GMG sale Skyrim and Fallout come to about $33 usd, Doom VFR comes to $16.79 usd.

Think I might get Doom. Has Fallout improved much since release? I was bummed hearing after all the negative opinions and lack of Oculus support at release and never picked it up.

It also didn't help that I had just spend 40 hours on the Xbox version and didn't want to redo that all again. (Pity I can't import saves...) But fallout is totally more in my wheelhouse than Skyrim and I imagine guns work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Isometric Bacon posted:

With the GMG sale Skyrim and Fallout come to about $33 usd, Doom VFR comes to $16.79 usd.

Think I might get Doom. Has Fallout improved much since release? I was bummed hearing after all the negative opinions and lack of Oculus support at release and never picked it up.

It also didn't help that I had just spend 40 hours on the Xbox version and didn't want to redo that all again. (Pity I can't import saves...) But fallout is totally more in my wheelhouse than Skyrim and I imagine guns work well.

They added Oculus support in the most recent beta release. If it is anything like the WMR support from the same beta, it is quite good. You do need a beast of a system to run it decently (the minimum specs being a 1070 are fair.)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The best.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

pyrotek posted:

They added Oculus support in the most recent beta release. If it is anything like the WMR support from the same beta, it is quite good. You do need a beast of a system to run it decently (the minimum specs being a 1070 are fair.)

FO4 is probably the hardest VR gameto run, I have a 1080 and had some issues, even after doing a few optimizations. I personally wouldn't really consider it with anything less than a 1070. You can do a ton to increase the perf with little visual difference, including downloading optimized textures and reducing the number of lights.

Of course, this depends completely on how sensitive you are to reprojection without ASW. I don't really have motion sickness at 90fps ever but reprojection with non-teleport movement really bothers me. I think a good gauge of that is how much console games running at 30 fps bothers you. If you don't care then I think reprojection probably won't and you can get away with a much weaker machine. Personally, I'm seriously considering getting an 1180Ti when they introduce it likely in about a year from now. Since I have basically 0 tolerance for non-ASW reprojection and Valve won't give us ASW I often feel like I need to turn the settings on games down pretty low even with a 1080.

I don't recall people saying Doom was as hard to run but haven't tried.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I said it once, I'll say it again, :siren:Try the "I Expect you to Die" track. It actually has fun with the theme of the song and doesn't chuck blocks at you at every second. Preview here. This is the kinda stuff that I'd love to see more of, even more than the well made main stages.

The concept's amusing but you have to think way too fast for some of those block combinations for it to flow well IMO

people seem to be wanting to come up with new gimmicks rather than just basic solid craft on what the base game demonstrates, like always in this sort of thing

makes me want to pull a jeremy clarkson and be absolutely rubbish compared to whom i'm deriding

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I found the greatest beat saber custom track. Yes its a meme track, but I really don't care because it owns so hard. I want every light saber battle done this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrkG6Nd2cR8

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Someone should make beatsaber beatmaps to Aurealnauts. It seems like a natural fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qH2IaSjEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyqcEI5IJBw

Flashbackjack fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 20, 2018

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Bethesda games in general are kind of a chore for me lately. I can't finish them because the core combat gameplay isn't really all that exciting. I haven't played Prey at all yet though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amarcarts posted:

Bethesda games in general are kind of a chore for me lately. I can't finish them because the core combat gameplay isn't really all that exciting. I haven't played Prey at all yet though

Prey isn't a Bethesda game, they just published it. Ditto for DOOM and Wolfenstein.

It's also really good.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Prey is absolutely amazing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Come to think of it, a VR version of Prey would be pretty brutal. Just for what it could mean for applying Neuromods...

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have opinions on Sublevel Zero Redux? I loving loved Descent back in the day.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Come to think of it, a VR version of Prey would be pretty brutal. Just for what it could mean for applying Neuromods...

VR Prey done by Croteam would be pretty great.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

nickhimself posted:

Prey is absolutely amazing

Quoting dis.

The final act of the game lost the magic a bit, but everything up to that point was fantastic.

That said, yeah, applying a neuromod in VR would be pretty rough. :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Space Racist posted:

Quoting dis.

The final act of the game lost the magic a bit, but everything up to that point was fantastic.

That said, yeah, applying a neuromod in VR would be pretty rough. :getin:

Oof. That cutscene was pretty narsty in flatland let alone in stereoscopy--

actually it wouldn't be stereoscopy, would it, since by the end the neuromod gun and needle would only visually appear in one eye

oh god somehow that's worse :stonk::cry:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Oof. That cutscene was pretty narsty in flatland let alone in stereoscopy--

actually it wouldn't be stereoscopy, would it, since by the end the neuromod gun and needle would only visually appear in one eye

oh god somehow that's worse :stonk::cry:

I'll do you one better for that; Dead Space 2 in VR :unsmigghh:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I’d love for some other classics to be retrofitted for VR, I reckon original Crysis in full VR would be a lot of fun, maybe porting over the bow from 3 into the game as a special extra.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone have opinions on Sublevel Zero Redux? I loving loved Descent back in the day.
Its pretty good, so long as you keep in mind that its not like a finely hand crafted shooter like Descent was, its a roguelike with procedurally generated levels. Looks nice in VR though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Less Fat Luke posted:

I haven't gotten back to it since the expansion (and formal VR support) came out, but it felt very polished and well executed even then. I wasn't super into the gameplay at the time, but I should try out all the new stuff...

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

homeless snail posted:

I don't remember who ITT posted this originally but I used this pastebin as my starting point https://pastebin.com/bCiEfhxp
As far as gameplay mods I think Mortal Enemies is pretty much required for VR because the way enemies track you in vanilla Skyrim is just ridiculous and it makes VR combat completely unfun. With Mortal Enemies they commit to their facing when they start their attack animation so you can sidestep them.

Also its not specifically a Skyrim mod and it costs extra, but Natural Locomotion is amazing.

That's mine and I wouldn't recommend it anymore. Let me update it.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Hellsau posted:

VR Prey done by Croteam would be pretty great.

VR really needs an immersive sim style game. Most games now are limited scope sandboxes or very scripted linear experiences. It would be interesting to explore what kind of abilities the new interaction options in VR could give players. Although these kinds of games would probably be too expensive to make for such a small audience.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Here is my latest version of my Skyrim VR modding document. If somebody wants to put it in the OP, let me know, and I'll create a more permanent link to it so it can be updated easier.

https://pastebin.com/izVhE1BK

My list doesn't include anything too extreme. It tries to keep things as vanilla as possible. I think it is a good starting place for a first time experience.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Nalin posted:

Here is my latest version of my Skyrim VR modding document. If somebody wants to put it in the OP, let me know, and I'll create a more permanent link to it so it can be updated easier.

My list doesn't include anything too extreme. It tries to keep things as vanilla as possible. I think it is a good starting place for a first time experience.

Thanks for making that. I bought it on the GMG sale but have been putting off playing it because I’ve been dreading figuring out mods, and that makes things much easier.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I’d love for some other classics to be retrofitted for VR, I reckon original Crysis in full VR would be a lot of fun, maybe porting over the bow from 3 into the game as a special extra.

I'd love to see a version of Rainbow Six 3's single player campaign done up with weapon handling even half as immersive as H3VR. I tried playing it again recently and the slow pacing in a mouse/keyboard game bugged me, but it would probably work out nice in VR.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I want Gone Home in VR. Or Tacoma. Or Firewatch. Give me all the walking sims plz

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

AndrewP posted:

I want Gone Home in VR. Or Tacoma. Or Firewatch. Give me all the walking sims plz

I want Grow Home in VR :getin:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just want a straight up note for note remake of TIE Fighter with modern graphics in VR. Is that so much to ask?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll do you one better for that; Dead Space 2 in VR :unsmigghh:
I was always curious but relieved that Dead Space didn't make it into VR. Just the opening of 2 would have led to a lot of panic-induced refunds.

AndrewP posted:

I am also down for Dear Esther VR

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Further inprogress review of Vive Pro 2.0 Tracking Combo.

Wow does text/distant visuals look nice. There are no other advantages compared to Vive + DAS and the sound is worse without a headband to squeeze the headphones in. Is it worth the price? Hard to say. If you already have a 1080+ and spend a couple hours every week in VR and consider VR your hobby it's worth considering as there are no announced nor rumored products that do the same thing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stick100 posted:

Further inprogress review of Vive Pro 2.0 Tracking Combo.

Wow does text/distant visuals look nice. There are no other advantages compared to Vive + DAS and the sound is worse without a headband to squeeze the headphones in. Is it worth the price? Hard to say. If you already have a 1080+ and spend a couple hours every week in VR and consider VR your hobby it's worth considering as there are no announced nor rumored products that do the same thing.

Does the Odyssey not count? Or the Oculus stuff?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Does the Odyssey not count? Or the Oculus stuff?

Odyssey totally counts but if you want room scale + controllers outside of your vision then you have to the do the funky combo of WRM and SteamVR with lighthouses and Vive controllers. Oculus has not announced nor rumored products in the short term.

2 years from now I'm sure someone else will release a better product since it won't take much to be the Vive Pro. But if you're someone with a Vive (and is prepared to ebay the extra parts) who uses it every week for a couple of hours then maybe getting the Pro is worth considering.

Anyone else no, the Vive Pro has been priced stupidly and is not worth it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW audio works real well for me on vive pro, but considering how small revolve was for me I might just have a huge head and that's why it fits well?

Also if you have the cash to throw away, resolution increase is worth it imo.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Nalin posted:

Quoting this forever. I was on the fence about my skyrim purchase till I got these mods installed. It brought new life to the game

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

We need a new SWAT game for vr, ideally with built in voice recognition

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
all perps are actually people getting swatted

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Those idiotic Ossic 3D headphones failed spectacularly. They raised way more money than they originally said they needed, apparently only shipped 80 units and then bailed. They are not refunding anyone.

If you kickstarted those dumb things sorry!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'll never understand people kickstarting hardware, software is a hard enough sell for me. There has to be like 20 failed hardware projects for every one that succeeds.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nalin posted:

This is loving exactly what I needed, thank you so much, please put this in OP thread guy!

Edit: The only thing I don't see is a lighting overhaul. Isn't the lighting in vanilla skyrim exceptionally lovely? Or with these mods will it all look good?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 21, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jenny Agutter posted:

We need a new SWAT game for vr, ideally with built in voice recognition

I've always thought that Payday really needs a versus mode similar to Left 4 Dead where other players get to take on the special cop roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Truga posted:

all perps are actually people getting swatted

That sounds like a great idea for the final mission.