Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean it's a lot harder to watch a video than listen to a podcast while driving or playing a video game or whatever.

A lot of the video essays I watch are either voiceovers with the relevant post/article, or static images. Contrapoints doesn't really fit this with her costuming, set design, and skits, but those are the parts of her videos I enjoy the least anyways.

Anyways, they're really not much different from podcasts, especially not the numerous podcasts that come out these days with video supplements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

https://imgur.com/a/YXql8Bp

the onguard for thee subreddit loved this take

Is woke culture now fracturing between neoliberal market based skeletons and leftist skeletons?

wow, lots too think about...

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8LxORztUWY

The Late Capitalism of K-Pop [17:34]

God drat, of the many things I gatekeep about online, I'm most confident in making GBS threads on k-pop

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 20, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plz don't post dorky rear end "video essays" of losers with nerd voices

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

God drat, of the many things I gatekeep about online, I'm most confident in making GBS threads on k-pop

Please don't ever feel confident about anything ever again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Plz don't post dorky rear end "video essays" of losers with nerd voices

why do you want the thread locked

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

"is it still taco tuesday"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
New Chapo is harrowing but good

If you aren’t ready for something heavy it might be time to relisten to the Caleb Letters

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I got Matt's Weegee joke, so I have a high IQ. :smuggo:

A flight simulator that simulates riding in a plane. :laffo:

Hm, this episode got a lot less fun in a hurry. :(

Rod Dreher at the end to lighten things up. :allears:

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 21, 2018

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

prefect posted:

I got Matt's Weegee joke, so I have a high IQ. :smuggo:

A flight simulator that simulates riding in a plane. :laffo:

Hm, this episode got a lot less fun in a hurry. :(

this is the worst lets play ive ever read

and the only lets play ive ever read

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Zoracle Zed posted:

not clicking but isnt slatestarcodex some kind of nrx poo poo

edit: contrapoints rules so i'm definitely not clicking

Slatestarcodex literally wrote the anti-reactionary FAQ (http://slatestarcodex.com/2013/10/20/the-anti-reactionary-faq/). But because he associates with some individuals, we have a situation where he is mistaken for a reactionary simply by chains of association. He has "neoreactionary cooties." Part of the reason he does such a good job repudiating the neoreactionaries is because on some level he is sympathetic to the underlying drive beneath the craziness: a simmering revolt against the elevation of quantification over qualia. It's because of this sort of thing that I feel like I no longer recognize the left, if the left is indeed a reflection of what I see on these message boards. "Definitely not clicking." Congratulations on shielding yourself from wrongthink friend!

Is the rationalwiki progressive enough for you folks to consider it safe to read? Because they do a good job of demonstrating that ideologically he's as far from the alt-right as he is from the radical left. Or do you guys consider the rationalwiki an unclean source? Is Slavoj Zizek still considered permissible to be a fan of, given his objections to political correctness? Because both he and SSC share a persistent fascination with GK Chesterton. Is it ok to admire and draw influence from Chesterton? Or is he yet another "a stupid person's idea of a smart person." Is Slavoj Zizek alt-right now, given his penchant for nasty sex jokes? Listen carefully to Zizek in his lectures, and you find a recurrent theme: a falling back on the idea that there is no coherent progressive anti-capitalist societal plan, and that the best which can be managed currently is managed capitalism, capitalism as directed by former Communist polities.

When Trump was elected, I had the sense that, at long last, I would know what it would be like to live under a Roman Emperor. But as the left becomes increasingly cannibalistic, I get the sense that we're entering an age more similar to the French Revolution, where each ascendent further left power gave way to political factions yet more extreme.

As for why I listened to chapotraphouse, it's because I consciously make an effort to get information and perspectives from outside of whatever echo chamber I may be unconsciously building for myself through my media consumption. As someone who has been sympathetic to leftist sensibilities in the past, I was genuinely curious; I left unimpressed.

Peterson has his flaws. There are lots of important points I disagree with him on. But the collective character assassination that he is currently being subjected to makes them easy to overlook in favor of his positive points. As for Nathan Robinson, ugh. There are things that the more bellicose aspect of my personality would like to express but I'll restrain myself because I want to work towards civility across political lines.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CountFosco posted:

Slatestarcodex literally wrote the anti-reactionary FAQ (http://slatestarcodex.com/2013/10/20/the-anti-reactionary-faq/). But because he associates with some individuals, we have a situation where he is mistaken for a reactionary simply by chains of association. He has "neoreactionary cooties." Part of the reason he does such a good job repudiating the neoreactionaries is because on some level he is sympathetic to the underlying drive beneath the craziness: a simmering revolt against the elevation of quantification over qualia. It's because of this sort of thing that I feel like I no longer recognize the left, if the left is indeed a reflection of what I see on these message boards. "Definitely not clicking." Congratulations on shielding yourself from wrongthink friend!

Is the rationalwiki progressive enough for you folks to consider it safe to read? Because they do a good job of demonstrating that ideologically he's as far from the alt-right as he is from the radical left. Or do you guys consider the rationalwiki an unclean source? Is Slavoj Zizek still considered permissible to be a fan of, given his objections to political correctness? Because both he and SSC share a persistent fascination with GK Chesterton. Is it ok to admire and draw influence from Chesterton? Or is he yet another "a stupid person's idea of a smart person." Is Slavoj Zizek alt-right now, given his penchant for nasty sex jokes? Listen carefully to Zizek in his lectures, and you find a recurrent theme: a falling back on the idea that there is no coherent progressive anti-capitalist societal plan, and that the best which can be managed currently is managed capitalism, capitalism as directed by former Communist polities.

When Trump was elected, I had the sense that, at long last, I would know what it would be like to live under a Roman Emperor. But as the left becomes increasingly cannibalistic, I get the sense that we're entering an age more similar to the French Revolution, where each ascendent further left power gave way to political factions yet more extreme.

As for why I listened to chapotraphouse, it's because I consciously make an effort to get information and perspectives from outside of whatever echo chamber I may be unconsciously building for myself through my media consumption. As someone who has been sympathetic to leftist sensibilities in the past, I was genuinely curious; I left unimpressed.

Peterson has his flaws. There are lots of important points I disagree with him on. But the collective character assassination that he is currently being subjected to makes them easy to overlook in favor of his positive points. As for Nathan Robinson, ugh. There are things that the more bellicose aspect of my personality would like to express but I'll restrain myself because I want to work towards civility across political lines.

sir, this is a mcdonalds drive thru

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CountFosco posted:

Zizek would say that you are already denied permission to be happy by your pathetic fantasies of persecution. As Lacan would say, even if leftists are criticizing you for being taken in by a charlatan like Peterson, your obsession with being criticized is still pathological.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

CountFosco posted:

the question was, "is this your handwriting?"

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CountFosco posted:

Why do they all sound like this.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Did anyone ask that guy why he listens to chapo

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

CountFosco posted:

As someone who has been sympathetic to leftist sensibilities in the past, I was genuinely curious; I left unimpressed.

ok can you please leave this thread unimpressed now?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CountFosco posted:

There are things that the more bellicose aspect of my personality would like to express but I'll restrain myself because I want to work towards civility across political lines.
Coward.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the extent to which these guys are desperate for any kind of respect cannot be understated

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

CountFosco posted:

So did you get caught saying the n word in public once or what.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ze Pollack posted:

the extent to which these guys are desperate for any kind of respect cannot be understated

But they don't understand that while it is necessary to give respect to receive respect, one must first respect oneself

*steeples fingers*

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

CountFosco posted:

shut up i will never read this post

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CountFosco posted:

Source your quotes.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

But they don't understand that while it is necessary to give respect to receive respect, one must first respect oneself

*steeples fingers*

clean your room, put your shoulders back, and live in existential terror that any second now the neomarxists will be throw you into the pronoun gulag

Serf
May 5, 2011

yes, jordan petersen is being character assassinated by having his words printed verbatim

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remind me why Chapo shouldn’t have transcripts again :v:

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

CountFosco posted:

i appreciate that you replied to my post but i'm not going to read this either

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

prefect posted:

Things never said. You cannot make that horrifying transphobic bigot pleasant.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

get that OUT of my face posted:

Things never said. You cannot make that horrifying transphobic bigot pleasant.

It was fun when they goofed on him for being a dumb rear end in a top hat jerk.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
CountFosco go on cumtown

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

prefect posted:

It was fun when they goofed on him for being a dumb rear end in a top hat jerk.
It was more fun when they outed him as a closet otherkin

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Holy poo poo JP fans are such insufferable dweebs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If I can be serious for a moment, the talk about labeling and dehumanization in this episode ties back to Matt's thesis that the political project of the right-wing elite has come down to shoring up resources so that they can survive apocalypse. I wonder, though, what money in a bank account would actually be worth in the not-so-gradual collapse that he (and presumably they) are envisioning.

The wealthy are literally, physically segregating themselves, to be sure. Everybody laughed at Glenn Beck for talking about building a city-state in the middle of nowhere, but that's remarkably representative of the Koch libertarian mindset. But they don't seem to actually have a plan for building a closed society that can weather environmental catastrophe and the shortages of food, water, and power that will come with it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CountFosco posted:

loving lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

If I can be serious for a moment, the talk about labeling and dehumanization in this episode ties back to Matt's thesis that the political project of the right-wing elite has come down to shoring up resources so that they can survive apocalypse. I wonder, though, what money in a bank account would actually be worth in the not-so-gradual collapse that he (and presumably they) are envisioning.

The wealthy are literally, physically segregating themselves, to be sure. Everybody laughed at Glenn Beck for talking about building a city-state in the middle of nowhere, but that's remarkably representative of the Koch libertarian mindset. But they don't seem to actually have a plan for building a closed society that can weather environmental catastrophe and the shortages of food, water, and power that will come with it.

Someone post the article about techno-libertarians who are building their apocalypse shelters in New Zealand coming to the realization that they’ll not just need a place for their helicopter pilot to sleep and eat, but a place for the pilot’s family, or why would the pilot abandon them for you?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Someone post the article about techno-libertarians who are building their apocalypse shelters in New Zealand coming to the realization that they’ll not just need a place for their helicopter pilot to sleep and eat, but a place for the pilot’s family, or why would the pilot abandon them for you?

one of the reasons why there's this big push for self-driving cars is that the wealthy realize they're gonna need someone to do these jobs after they kill us all

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Bryter posted:

ok can you please leave this thread unimpressed now?

Gladly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Serf posted:

one of the reasons why there's this big push for self-driving cars is that the wealthy realize they're gonna need someone to do these jobs after they kill us all
I think it's the other way around, or at least a feedback loop; their vision for the future is one in which the working class has been automated out of existence, so that the human race is just a country club.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it's the other way around, or at least a feedback loop; their vision for the future is one in which the working class has been automated out of existence, so that the human race is just a country club.

i reckon most of them avoid thinking about the bloodless machines they'll have to task with hunting down the last surviving poors, but in the end the result is the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CountFosco posted:

please post a picture of your naked rear end, CountFosco