Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

baquerd posted:

Some people may be economically worthless on their own merit when that merit is evaluated within a snapshot of time. However, when considered along side the societal effects of killing many peoples' relatives, along with the potential for the worthless to improve themselves, the economic benefit to keeping these people alive is substantial, even given that some small fraction will not be missed by anyone. The rate of false positives of killing people that will not be missed will cause immense problems. At the same time, slave labor is not popular due to cultural reasons, not economic ones, unless you would make the claim that keeping a person alive that you can do whatever you want with is less than the cost of feeding and sheltering said person.
I am not proposing mass executions by the State. I simply propose for reality to take its natural course, and for the State to avoid meddling with nature. I doubt so. These masses are very likely beyond any realistic hope of economic redemption, from a statistical basis. Of course, if you dispute this, feel free to invest your own money in propping these individuals up.

Yes, that is precisely what I am stating. There are many individuals who are *** literally *** completely worthless in strictly economic terms. My opponents are completely correct in pointing out that humans have value beyond economic terms, and I fully accept this argument. But my point is that in strictly economic terms, these humans are completely worthless. Their deaths are the best economic value they can provide to society.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Go find an Ayn impersonator to peg you already

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8kumjp/thinking_about_opening_a_bar/ posted:

Thinking about opening a bar...

I've saved 40k and was planning to invest in real estate when suddenly my employer decided to pay out our employee stock ownership, 53k more in my pocket. I've always wanted to open a business, specifically a bar/venue (although I've never worked in a bar before), but considering the initial cost of opening a bar is the same as buying a small house, I'm thinking the risk is worth the reward.

Any bar owners out there with advice?

Some facts: I'm 36, with a 6-figure income, single, no kids, current mortgage is only $1,200/mo in Las Vegas. I'm willing to lose 50k on this with a small business loan to cover the rest. Maybe 250k? I don't plan on quitting my day job. Lots of friends in the nightlife industry. Hoping to find a reasonable lease for the business.

quote:

I've never heard of the "sunken cost fallacy." Thank you for sharing that!

Good news is I'm a pretty good business manager

He ends up being convinced hes a dumb rear end at least.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Yikes.

What's the name of that smiley where someone walks in, sees something horrifying and slowly backs out?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yikes.

What's the name of that smiley where someone walks in, sees something horrifying and slowly backs out?

:yikes:

You were very close.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Inept posted:

Surely what Las Vegas needs most is another bar.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Don't worry, there's still hope he will do it eventually

quote:

Going to do something smarter with my money to help it grow and then maybe, one day, I'll have the bar of my dreams...

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Inept posted:

Go find an Ayn impersonator to peg you already

My wife’s best friend’s husband just bought a bar after selling his 50% share in his previous company. They’re not rolling in money, but they have enough to buy the bar outright. He’s extremely business savvy, works very hard and between them, they are excellent cooks, so hopefully it goes well for them. I’ve told my wife how many stories like this there are that end badly, but they’re committed now, so we’ll see how it goes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

My wife’s best friend’s husband just bought a bar after selling his 50% share in his previous company. They’re not rolling in money, but they have enough to buy the bar outright. He’s extremely business savvy, works very hard and between them, they are excellent cooks, so hopefully it goes well for them. I’ve told my wife how many stories like this there are that end badly, but they’re committed now, so we’ll see how it goes.

I've seen just as many stories about bars and restaurants that did great and still failed as bars that did terrible and failed. It sometimes doesn't matter how awesome you are at running it.

My old roommate was a waitress who closed three different restaurants down. And since everyone raids the bar on that last night, she had a fantastic selection of booze. One was a corporate restaurant. She needed a dolly to haul all that out.

So there's always a bright side I guess.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. Anyone who wants to open a restaurant should be forced to watch an all day marathon of Kitchen Nightmares from the time they get up to the time they fall asleep. After that 75% would probably change their minds, and the rest are either prepared or at least can’t say they weren’t warned. There’s so many where the owners mention cashing out their retirement to try to keep the restaurant running.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Phanatic posted:

The primary vice of SS is that it's a regressive tax.
The way it's paid out is redistributive though. In practice people who are poor throughout their working lives will still (probably) get out a lot more than they put in.

quote:

Taking money away from working young and poor people and giving it to wealthy old people is not a social good. It's pretty much the opposite, actually.
...but enough about Prop 13 and zoning!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yikes.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. Anyone who wants to open a restaurant should be forced to watch an all day marathon of Kitchen Nightmares from the time they get up to the time they fall asleep. After that 75% would probably change their minds, and the rest are either prepared or at least can’t say they weren’t warned. There’s so many where the owners mention cashing out their retirement to try to keep the restaurant running.

Don't mine gold, sell the shovels to gold miners.

If I win the lottery, I'm starting a kitchen appliance and supply company.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigDave posted:

This right here. They sell the same equipment 2 and 3 times or more. It's the buy-here-pay-here used car lot model.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

22 Eargesplitten posted:

But it's my lifelong dream to own a nice little cafe where we'll serve much better coffee than starbucks and hey why aren't we making money? :confused:

People should also be forced to work in a restaurant/bar for a year before opening one. Hard to get starry-eyed about the cozy little family-owned restaurant of your dreams when you see what kind of poo poo actually goes on in the part customers don't see.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You mean I have to scrub everything down and throw out rotten food every day? And keep track of inventory and do taxes and payroll and pay bills? And fire people for coming in stoned or not coming in or for stealing product? I just wanted to have people compliment my cooking!

Firing people is why I could never run a company. Even when I would know it’s what needed doing I would feel too bad about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Firing people sucks, almost as much as keeping around someone who needs to be fired.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

But it's my lifelong dream to own a nice little cafe where we'll serve much better coffee than starbucks and hey why aren't we making money? :confused:

People should also be forced to work in a restaurant/bar for a year before opening one. Hard to get starry-eyed about the cozy little family-owned restaurant of your dreams when you see what kind of poo poo actually goes on in the part customers don't see.

But then you end up with that one guy who spent a few months cutting onions and doing the absolute least he could do before opening his own restaurant. The kind of person who isn't already working in food service, but who wants to run a restaurant - isn't the kind who is going to go into another guy's restaurant and learn anything.

THAT was a good story. I can't remember all the details, but it's the one where they finally make a profit and then close the restaurant and give everyone 2 weeks paid vacation in celebration, completely ruining any sales momentum they had going.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

But then you end up with that one guy who spent a few months cutting onions and doing the absolute least he could do before opening his own restaurant. The kind of person who isn't already working in food service, but who wants to run a restaurant - isn't the kind who is going to go into another guy's restaurant and learn anything.

THAT was a good story. I can't remember all the details, but it's the one where they finally make a profit and then close the restaurant and give everyone 2 weeks paid vacation in celebration, completely ruining any sales momentum they had going.

I was just looking for that story and I can’t remember what it was called. Great story and the dudes investor made out amazingly after he was forced to sell a semi successful business for pennies.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Was that the one where the guy had a rifle on his shoulder and a cider in his hand talking small talk with his imagined regulars?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

BigDave posted:

first female billionaire startup founder [...] requires her to pay a $500,000 penalty.
That sounds very good with money though?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Was that the one where the guy had a rifle on his shoulder and a cider in his hand talking small talk with his imagined regulars?

Yes it is. I got you fam.

I re-read it every year or so to chase that high.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Just spend a few thousand building a kick rear end bar in your backyard or something and have friends and family over if you really want that dream so bad.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tamba posted:

That sounds very good with money though?

She was a paper billionaire not a real one. It was all based on theranos’s valuation. That’s not so high anymore.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cicero posted:

The way it's paid out is redistributive though. In practice people who are poor throughout their working lives will still (probably) get out a lot more than they put in.

That's possible, but I wouldn't go so far as to say probable. The marginal value of a dollar today for most people is greater than the marginal value of that dollar decades from now.

quote:

...but enough about Prop 13 and zoning!

Also yes. Figuring out "Hey, if we go all NIMBY and making building new housing really difficult, we'll make out like bandits on our property values" might be the single most evil thing the boomers did.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

She was a paper billionaire not a real one. It was all based on theranos’s valuation. That’s not so high anymore.

In fact, according to Forbes, her net worth was revised in 2016 from $4.5B to $0.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthe...izabeth-holmes/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Soon to be -$500,000 minus her legal fees.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All of her wealth was tied up in ownership of the company. But since it never had an IPO it's like Trading Places where you're a rich pork belly/orange juice baron one day and broke the next. The moment the corporate credit card stops working she's probably got nothing except liabilities.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
what if we had ubi, but only for people making more than 1m/yr?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Universal Billionaire Incineration :coal:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Guest2553 posted:

Yes it is. I got you fam.

I re-read it every year or so to chase that high.

As good as that was (and gently caress it was good), there was a goon story about how he tries to take over a restaurant and runs into a bunch of family problems, including embezzling. I don't remember his name, only that (1) it was a BBQ restaurant and (2) he had taken community college culinary art classes.

I also want to say it was in Ohio, even though it was a Cajun menu.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
UBI

Urination Before Impeachment

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

BigDave posted:

As good as that was (and gently caress it was good), there was a goon story about how he tries to take over a restaurant and runs into a bunch of family problems, including embezzling. I don't remember his name, only that (1) it was a BBQ restaurant and (2) he had taken community college culinary art classes.

I also want to say it was in Ohio, even though it was a Cajun menu.

I remember that, they had an enormous menu with all sorts of exotic stuff like alligator on it, but because they had no actual customers they kept having to throw it out.The poor kid was working insane hours in his family restaurant that was clearly going to fail and the parents weren't really putting in the work if I remember right. Restaurants are one of those businesses where it's somehow BWM for both the patrons and the owners.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

BigDave posted:

There's a company on the ASX that does exactly this, silver chef. They were going so well they thought they would expand into car hire. Turns out its much much easier to move (steal) a loving car than a kitchen....

Things went very poorly. They had a sure thing and hosed it up, very BWM.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've seen just as many stories about bars and restaurants that did great and still failed as bars that did terrible and failed. It sometimes doesn't matter how awesome you are at running it.

My old roommate was a waitress who closed three different restaurants down. And since everyone raids the bar on that last night, she had a fantastic selection of booze. One was a corporate restaurant. She needed a dolly to haul all that out.

So there's always a bright side I guess.

I was at a family get together a few years ago, the guy hosting it at his house ran a popular bar in a resort town. Someone mention that it must be going well because he's obviously doing well. He says that the bar does ok, and for years he was only just breaking even. Then the state loosened gambling restrictions, and he put in a few multigame machines. After a few months of those going in, he cleared enough to hire more people, and was able to take vacations. If he cleared out more space for more machines, he could rake in even more, but he'd rather keep the space for tables. So the secret is gambling.

In BWM news, a coworker really wanted to buy a house, and only just talked out of the first one because it was in a flood plain and had some sketchy foundation business.
So he went for another one he could only just afford. I heard him saying that if he needs a lot of OT a month to have any savings. I'm sure this will go well.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
There's a joke in the restaurant business that owning a restaurant is a $1,000,000 investment to give yourself a minimum wage job.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

brugroffil posted:

Just spend a few thousand building a kick rear end bar in your backyard or something and have friends and family over if you really want that dream so bad.

I have a friend who runs a pizza shop, and then turned the 2nd floor into a taco place that is also his hangout bar for friends. He has karaoke on weekends. He put in two MAME cabinets too. But it took a while before it got off the ground. The taco idea was originally a stand that only lasted a couple months before it closed.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you love cooking that much (assuming you're not lovely at it), organize a get together with friends where you make a bomb-rear end meal and they bring ingredients. Like being a DJ to go to house parties, or something.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles > Is Aunt Margaret trying to sell me a dildo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guest2553 posted:

If you love cooking that much (assuming you're not lovely at it), organize a get together with friends where you make a bomb-rear end meal and they bring ingredients.

This is a wonderful pastime.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Guest2553 posted:

If you love cooking that much (assuming you're not lovely at it), organize a get together with friends where you make a bomb-rear end meal and they bring ingredients. Like being a DJ to go to house parties, or something.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles > Is Aunt Margaret trying to sell me a dildo

Very good with money

Here's a great local restaurant fail story (possibly GWM):

https://sf.eater.com/2018/2/21/17038614/makers-common-berkeley-closing posted:

Downtown Berkeley cheese market and restaurant Maker’s Common will close after just seven months in business, serving its last meal on March 4. Owners Sarah Dvorak and Eric Miller opened their larger spinoff of popular Valencia Street restaurant Mission Cheese over the summer, but looking at their revenue so far, have determined they’ve got to call it quits.

Maker’s Common opened under a Direct Public Offering model, with Miller and Dvorak raising more than $530,000 from 160 investors and signing their ten-year lease at 1954 University Ave. But after fiddling with the format in response to feedback — lowering prices, offering takeout and delivery, and participating in community events like Berkeley Restaurant Week and SF Beer week — they still consider Maker’s Common to be unsustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Guest2553 posted:

That's awesome.