Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

why is this so depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tired Moritz posted:

why is this so depressing

Is it just my reading of it, or is he implying "Well I COULD tell you now, or you can wait to see what we create... :v:" like they actually know what they're doing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

DA:O is the ugliest thing.

There are mods out there that add some graphical improvements and make the NPC models a little less potato-faced. That being said it’s never been a looker of a game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

There are mods out there that add some graphical improvements and make the NPC models a little less potato-faced. That being said it’s never been a looker of a game.
I remember it looking fine when it was brand new.

Like, not super great, but not standing out as being ugly either.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i could never take the dwarf society seriously because it's just so stupid

who even benefits from the whole setup that if you're a noble and your commoner spouse has kids, they and that gender of kid you have are still commoners. who would implement that. why.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Stexils posted:

i could never take the dwarf society seriously because it's just so stupid

who even benefits from the whole setup that if you're a noble and your commoner spouse has kids, they and that gender of kid you have are still commoners. who would implement that. why.

it’s tradition!!!!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd take a bonus/prequel campaign with Alkarl and others from that group but this is also acceptable.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Why do you make me want things I'll never have?

I've honestly wanted an entire game about the whole SaGa Frontier Al- sentai group ever since I rented SaGa Frontier for the first time. The setting is so cool and there's so much stuff you could do with it, it's such a shame that Frontier is so unfinished and will never be seen in any capacity ever again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

That one has some stunning conversation stoppers you can just drop while talking to the king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O2T_zlbUWE&t=88s

Yeah, those were pretty great. By that point it is completely fair IC if the City Elf is out of fudge to give.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

strange journey redux is out and it is cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

Just got to Chapter 5 in Bravely Second, and, uh, that was an interesting way to do that.

Pro tip: turn off random encounters for the next several chapters but enjoy the side quests and optional bosses.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Pro tip: turn off random encounters for the next several chapters but enjoy the side quests and optional bosses.

Bravely Second

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
shout out to Minstrel Song for the gender unknown player option

e; also hooo boy the super painterly watercolor skyboxes im in love

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 20, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terper posted:

Bravely Second

Oh hey what if I could read, that would be cool

DisDisDis posted:

shout out to Minstrel Song for the gender unknown player option

e; also hooo boy the super painterly watercolor skyboxes im in love

Minstrel Song is really good stuff. Rad as gently caress soundtrack, too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

Oh hey what if I could read, that would be cool

Minstrel Song is really good stuff. Rad as gently caress soundtrack, too.

minstrel song is definitely in the running for best jrpg however

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, those were pretty great. By that point it is completely fair IC if the City Elf is out of fudge to give.

The biggest problem with the city elf opening is that I was down for my city elf lady to go on an elfploitation movie roaring rampage of revenge, but instead you just get Dragon Age.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Harrow posted:

This is pretty much how I've been playing the game regardless. Random encounters off, play until a save point before a boss, grind to the area appropriate level while listening to podcasts. I enjoy the combat, but it's a little too much menuing for me for random encounters so I just optimize for grinding and have fun during the boss fights.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

it looked fine in 2009

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

This is pretty much how I've been playing the game regardless. Random encounters off, play until a save point before a boss, grind to the area appropriate level while listening to podcasts. I enjoy the combat, but it's a little too much menuing for me for random encounters so I just optimize for grinding and have fun during the boss fights.

I think one issue I had with Bravely Second was that the random battles felt way overtuned on Hard (at least early on), while the bosses felt way too easy on Normal. I played all the way through Bravely Default on Hard and generally felt like it was a good, satisfying difficulty, and I didn't totally disable random encounters until the second half. But in Bravely Second I did exactly what you're doing because it just wasn't fun anymore until the boss fights.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

GulagDolls posted:

I'm playing it on Casual because I would like to actually complete it this time and I know myself to be a coward.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ratoslov posted:

The biggest problem with the city elf opening is that I was down for my city elf lady to go on an elfploitation movie roaring rampage of revenge, but instead you just get Dragon Age.

That's fair. Even the promo stuff played it up like you were going to play the Bride from Kill Bill, and while there's a tiny bit of that in the opening... yeah.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

babypolis posted:

it looked fine in 2009

On a technical level sure, but it's devoid of almost any charm or style. Some places are worse than others, though.

Also some of the textures are reallly bad. Almost think it's a bug.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Devoid of charm or style is a good description of Dragon Age and not just visually.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

WrightOfWay posted:

Devoid of charm or style is a good description of Dragon Age and not just visually.

it's a good description of a lot of bioware games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish Jade Empire held up better.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GulagDolls posted:

I'm really digging it and having played it obsessively for a JRPG show last year right before they announced it makes a lot of the new changes stand out more. This is still a challenging game but it's kinder about it with some of the quality of life stuff ~10 years and the SMTIV engine tweaks bring.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there a list of changes for Redux? Not sure if I really want to play it again.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm early, but so far:
- The crew are fleshed out more. Everyone are named and have their own art.
- There's a new localization. Some lines are a little weird but the only one I think anyone casual* would notice as of reaching Bootes is a very weird change in the opening where they say the footage of the whorehouse cathedral resembles "a business district".
- A few small QoL changes to make it kinder. Your Demonica heals you a minute amount on moon phase changes, there's a one-slot anytime save, and a buddy tells me they've changed up the sub app system a little to be more SMTIV-ish.
- Somewhere in Bootes is where the new content kicks off and that's all I know.
* read: someone not doing their 5-7th playthroughs of this in a year

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sub Apps no longer have point costs or limits and that change alone makes it the ultimate definitive version.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I don even remember back that far or well to be able tell what that would do.

Also new mysterious character from the future. You'd better be the baby I had with Gore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Synthbuttrange posted:

I don even remember back that far or well to be able tell what that would do.

You had... I forget the exact number, by NG+3 I wasn't changing them anymore. 12? I think? points to apply to apps, and a lot of more potent ones rolled into the 3+ range, so if you wanted passive healing or buffs you'd chew through it fast as gently caress. That actually sounds like a massive change and lets you set your own difficulty based on what unlocks when.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

- There's a new localization. Some lines are a little weird but the only one I think anyone casual* would notice as of reaching Bootes is a very weird change in the opening where they say the footage of the whorehouse cathedral resembles "a business district".
Wait, they're not saying that about the literal shopping mall area?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
They aren't. It's clearly Bootes, and then they describe the other two probe photos as a shopping mall and a garbage dump. And it's weird because they clearly say "red light district" in B.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
something something capitalism is prostitution

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish Jade Empire held up better.

Yeah. Having more than one Closed Fist choice that felt like an actual CF choice and not the normal BioWare 'feed puppies into a wood chipper evil' choice would have been neat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem with the Paragon/Renegade dichotomy in Bioware games is that almost all the time paragon means "sane, rational good guy choice" while renegade can mean anything from "ruthless pragmatism" to "pointlessly violent and stupid for no reason." You're never quite sure what flavor of renegade you're going to get with each response, so playing the games blind can lead to some pretty schizophrenic results.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rinkles posted:

On a technical level sure, but it's devoid of almost any charm or style. Some places are worse than others, though.

Also some of the textures are reallly bad. Almost think it's a bug.

IIRC, that discrepancy is a result of how long DA:O was in development. Like, the bland textures you see in some areas are from when they started working on the game and were good/ok for that time (2002-3 I think?) but by the time the game was finished they were terribly obsolete since they never went back and replaced them with something better.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've honestly wanted an entire game about the whole SaGa Frontier Al- sentai group ever since I rented SaGa Frontier for the first time. The setting is so cool and there's so much stuff you could do with it, it's such a shame that Frontier is so unfinished and will never be seen in any capacity ever again.

Have a story based around each member of the group and call it SagAl Frontier. :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

The problem with the Paragon/Renegade dichotomy in Bioware games is that almost all the time paragon means "sane, rational good guy choice" while renegade can mean anything from "ruthless pragmatism" to "pointlessly violent and stupid for no reason." You're never quite sure what flavor of renegade you're going to get with each response, so playing the games blind can lead to some pretty schizophrenic results.

i like the thing in me2 where trying to be balanced with your choices or just not going around talking to everyone can lock you out of peacefully resolving some situations forever because what dialog options are open to you is actually dependent on an invisible percentage of the amount of times you've picked certain options when they were possible at that point in the game and not the meter you can actually see on the character screen that tells you what your alignment is

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My skin is falling apart and my eyes are glowing because I stole my dad's credit card - A Mass Effect 2 fanfic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i like the thing in me2 where trying to be balanced with your choices or just not going around talking to everyone can lock you out of peacefully resolving some situations forever because what dialog options are open to you is actually dependent on an invisible percentage of the amount of times you've picked certain options when they were possible at that point in the game and not the meter you can actually see on the character screen that tells you what your alignment is

I can imagine a version of that system where it's more about your reputation--like, if you have a reputation for being violent and dangerous, you'll have an easier time intimidating people who have heard of that reputation. That's not how BioWare uses it, of course. A lot of the paragon and renegade options that require either a certain level on your meter or a certain number on that invisible counter don't rely on people going "aw gently caress, Shepard really means it" for a renegade threat or "Shepard is trustworthy" or something for a paragon statement, but instead treat them as "intimidation" and "diplomacy" skill levels.

Pillars of Eternity does a little but of that but usually doesn't tie your success our failure to your reputation levels. I could see something like that working, though, as long as it's applied in a way that makes sense--only when the person you're talking to has reason to know and care about that reputation--and if there are other conversational systems at work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's exactly how Alpha Protocol worked.