Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

WARHAMMER ADVENTURES

Yeah I’m on the writing team for this, check out some of my ideas:

In this issue, little Jimmy, a latent psyker, is collected by the Imperium to join the eternal choir of the Astronomicon. Follow this fascinating adventure as a pre-pubescent child is forced into a coffin and sentenced to death to keep the Emperor's soul engine alive.

In next week's issue: Billy, a slave trainee in the starboard gun decks, joins the feud against the port side gunners. He has never seen sunlight.

The hive world of Sh'it Hole VII is home to our next character, Tommy. The son of a Genestealer Hybrid, this horrid monstrosity is forced to tunnel in pitch blackness underneath the imperial guard armory where his father will liberate several Baneblades. In six months he'll be fed directly to a Tyranid bio-ship and utterly forgotten. Don't forget to buy your Genestealer Hybrids kit on the Games Workshop website!

Little Sanjeev thought he had it all. A dilapidated hovel covered in mold, a 20 hour a day job building lasguns at ADEPTUS MECHANICUS LASGUN MANUFACTORY ZETA-NU 442.782. But one day he forgot to say the Canticle of Fastening before making the third sub-assembly required for a complete lasgun fabrication, and he's about to find out that being a servitor is harder than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Like the tobacco companies of yore Games Workshop has discovered that it's best to hook your users early.

I may just grab some for my son when he gets a bit older because I am clearly a terrible parent.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 21, 2018

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
The Keeper of Secrets loomed over Billy menacingly, stretching a chitinous claw towards the small child. Malevolent laughter rang in Billy's mind as the Greater Daemon of Slaneesh opened its claw, revealing the gift it offered to the young mortal.

Billy, remembering the lessons taught to him in school, looked the Daemon in the eyes and defiantly spoke.

"Dope is for dopes!", he shouted back. He turned and walked away to tell a grownup what had just happened.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

WARHAMMER ADVENTURES

In this issue, little Jimmy, a latent psyker, is collected by the Imperium to join the eternal choir of the Astronomicon. Follow this fascinating adventure as a pre-pubescent child is forced into a coffin and sentenced to death to keep the Emperor's soul engine alive.

In next week's issue: Billy, a slave trainee in the starboard gun decks, joins the feud against the port side gunners. He has never seen sunlight.

The hive world of Sh'it Hole VII is home to our next character, Tommy. The son of a Genestealer Hybrid, this horrid monstrosity is forced to tunnel in pitch blackness underneath the imperial guard armory where his father will liberate several Baneblades. In six months he'll be fed directly to a Tyranid bio-ship and utterly forgotten. Don't forget to buy your Genestealer Hybrids kit on the Games Workshop website!

Little Sanjeev thought he had it all. A dilapidated hovel covered in mold, a 20 hour a day job building lasguns at ADEPTUS MECHANICUS LASGUN MANUFACTORY ZETA-NU 442.782. But one day he forgot to say the Canticle of Fastening before making the third sub-assembly required for a complete lasgun fabrication, and he's about to find out that being a servitor is harder than it looks.

Lmao more... more!

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

panascope posted:

WARHAMMER ADVENTURES

:kiddo:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a remote, primitive world called Cadia, at the outer edge of the Great Crusade, a young girl must undertake the quest of a lifetime to gain the favor of the gods. Only one can prove themselves worthy to face the foretold Golden Priest on the day of arrival. Only a true servant of the gods will be prepared to guide him to his destiny, and reshape the galaxy forever. INGETHEL: CHOSEN, coming soon

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

[Sarah McLachlan's In the Arms of an Angel plays.]

Five-year-old Samandiriel, a frail child living in rural rad-scorched Baal, has no idea if he will eat today. Due to severe malnutrition, little Samandiriel is dangerously small for his age. He is not gaining weight or growing taller, and his mother, Nadai, worries for her son's health. "The medicae tells me I must feed him more food so he can gain weight," Nadai said.

Samandiriel' parents struggle bring him food, but most of the food is irradiated and the Imperial Tithe takes everything else. The more weight Samandiriel loses the more distraught they become, and the more their thoughts become dangerous.

But by buying one model per day, you can help. Buying a single $35 character can provide GW with enough money to provide a meal for a fictional malnourished child, and because GW’s Food To Keep Fictional Kids From Falling To Nurgle So They Can Grow Up To Become Space Marines (tm) buys pretend food supplies in bulk you can imagine how much further your gift will go toward delivering soul-saving food.

Please, won't you help feed a starving child like Samandiriel today?

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Little Jonny Orlock thought life in a hive gang would be way more fun than apprenticing in the manufactory. He's even got a stub gun of his very own! All he has to do is survive six increasingly brutal fights, and he'll be a mighty ganger like Gak No-Nose or Metal-Arse Larry. The gang boss says he'll be doing something called screening, how hard can that be?

It was a sad day when Mike found out that his mum and dad had been martyred for the Golden Throne, but now he has the great honour of joining the Schola Progenia! Adventures! Excitement! Religious indoctrination! Will he become a mighty Commissar? Or will he be shot in the back of the head so his best buddy can join the Tempestus Scions?*

*I really hope that's not still canon.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

My blow by blow from playing him in the last round is a few pages back, but the TLDR is that while I still don’t think he was deliberately cheating, he played incredibly sloppily and incredibly quickly in a way that almost certainly net advantaged him, because he didn’t have the level of familiarity needed with either common metagame armies or his own drat list to make it possible to play that fast without missing things. On several occasions I had to say “wait stop” because i’d seen him scoop up and roll for a wound with a dice that should have been a miss because of a modifier, and to give you an idea of how fast he was going on one occasion he was already on to the re-rolls for wounds by the time I got that out. He was also using the ultramarine dice, which are a total bastard to speed read between 4 and 6 if you aren’t familiar with them, which was hugely relevant because he was often hitting me on 5s.

Basically, he had so many rerolls and went so fast with hard to read dice that i couldn’t realistically cross check any of his rolling. Given i know for absolute certain that modifiers were mis-calculated at least twice, and both times in his favour, this is going to help a lot. The other thing is, on reviewing the deployment maps, and the fact that it used i don’t think it’s possible that his levidread was in 24 inch range of my Hemlock for the first shooting with it, and if he was playing it as 36 all day that will have been a big advantage, as it would have allowed the dread to not move on t1 on lots of the deployment maps. He was also very generous in measuring distances in his favour, and i realise moved the dread at least 12” T1 and still shot - he took it up and over a wall that was as tall as it was. I just assumed it had M12, but battlescribe tells me it’s 8.

His level of dodginess aside however, I think people are underestimating how good the list was for the metagame/event. The LOS blockers in deployment zones were perfectly sized to hide the levidread in deployment (though that’s less relevant now i know about it’s shorter range and move, as it would likely not get to shoot T1), and the damage output of that thing in Guilleman’s bubble is absolutely outrageous, even if it has to move. The fact it can mount three hunter killers also adds alpha strike potential.

The meta around the top tables was:
Guard infantry spam
Tau big suit/hammerhead spam
Various flavours of Aeldari
Custard Bikes

The list is actually really good against all those things - the levidread will kill a riptide by itself even after moving and shooting (once you include the missiles), cripple a stormsurge, and can almost waste a ravager with each arm. I re-ran the numbers, and even if we’d correctly resolved the shooting against the hemlock at -4, the expected damage should have been about 5 wounds (including the missiles). That’s unbelievable for -4, and shows that i was genuinely absurdly lucky not to lose it given we resolved at -3 (though the variance is gigantic). I strongly suspect that this was the first time in the entire event the thing he pointed the dread at turn 1 didn’t just vaporise, which might be why he got so salty.

Against custodes, the levidread kills four bikes stationary or three on the move, while the razorbacks waste three more, assuming stationary which is easier for them, and that’s before the hunter killer missiles are factored in, which i believe accounts for one from the dread and one from the razorbacks. Thats half the average bike loadout, at which point the remaining bikes find themselves at serious risk of being murdered by guilleman and celestine once they close.

I don’t think i need to explain why the list brutalises guard infantry spam.

Hrmm. Having written all this up, I’m now no longer convinced I didn’t just get deliberately scammed. In addition, because the terrain setup was the same on every map, I think it’s very likely that he did the wall hop trick every game. FW’s website doesn’t have a height for the dread, but the wall was tall enough to just hide it, and the base is 80mm, and i think the dread is taller than the base is wide. That means going up, down, and far enough laterally to clear the wall (1” thick and 4” tall based on the terrain specs) is at minimum twelve inches, and he placed the dread a couple inches out on the other side, so moving 14. Unless Battlescribe has everything about the dreadnought wildly wrong, he was playing it with a move characteristic about 6” bigger than it actually has, and I also think ignoring the range limit on his gun sometimes. I wonder if he was just assuming he could move through the ruins and i was the first person to call him on it, and he decided on the spot to claim it could go over.

So, I mean, that probably did help with the winning. Welp.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Has anyone called this the Fyre Festival of 40k yet

I was torn whether to make a Fyre Festival joke or a Dashcon joke for the caption of my first image, and went for the latter.

Event organisation - it’s harder than people apparently think.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

[Sarah McLachlan's In the Arms of an Angel plays.]

Five-year-old Samandiriel, a frail child living in rural rad-scorched Baal, has no idea if he will eat today. Due to severe malnutrition, little Samandiriel is dangerously small for his age. He is not gaining weight or growing taller, and his mother, Nadai, worries for her son's health. "The medicae tells me I must feed him more food so he can gain weight," Nadai said.

Samandiriel' parents struggle bring him food, but most of the food is irradiated and the Imperial Tithe takes everything else. The more weight Samandiriel loses the more distraught they become, and the more their thoughts become dangerous.

But by buying one model per day, you can help. Buying a single $35 character can provide GW with enough money to provide a meal for a fictional malnourished child, and because GW’s Food To Keep Fictional Kids From Falling To Nurgle So They Can Grow Up To Become Space Marines (tm) buys pretend food supplies in bulk you can imagine how much further your gift will go toward delivering soul-saving food.

Please, won't you help feed a starving child like Samandiriel today?
Are you somehow unaware that Space Marine recruiting worlds are exempted from tithing?? :crossarms:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pendent posted:

Are you somehow unaware that Space Marine recruiting worlds are exempted from tithing?? :crossarms:

Apparently so; I did not know that.

Hold on, that can't be right. Back in old fluff they recruited from hive worlds all the time; isn't the point of a hive world to make stuff for the Imperium's tithe?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Transport question for yall:

I have 10 custodian bikes that I need to transport for a tournament, 9 of the dawneagle stubby boys, and a single long, smooth bulbous gyrfalcon hog.
How do I best do this? Magnetized bases and metal sheeting? Or would a moving box with a stem ware insert work just as well?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cessna posted:

Hold on, that can't be right. Back in old fluff they recruited from hive worlds all the time; isn't the point of a hive world to make stuff for the Imperium's tithe?

It varies, of course. I think the issue is that planet like Baal or Ultramar, which is the home of a Chapter and has it's home base and supplies all it's novitiates would be exempt. Because they already have thier hands full maintaining an entire chapter. But fleet-based Chapters that take novitiates from just wherever, the planets they take kids from wouldn't be exempt.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Cessna posted:

I think it's only the actual Astartes fortress worlds that are exempt. Most chapters recruit from other places too, preferably hives or feudal worlds where they breed 'em tough and desperate.

Edit: beaten like every drat child in the Imperium

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Immanentized posted:

I have 10 custodian bikes that I need to transport for a tournament, 9 of the dawneagle stubby boys, and a single long, smooth bulbous gyrfalcon hog.
How do I best do this? Magnetized bases and metal sheeting? Or would a moving box with a stem ware insert work just as well?

Every Custodes player I’ve seen has used the current GW cases that are in this style https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Crusade-Figure-Case, because they hold the bikes nice and snug. Mostly they magnetise base to model connection and at least the lance arms.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Immanentized posted:

Personally I enjoying putting metal in the bases and a magnetic sheet on the carrier. Not only does that ensure that the units won't stick to each other, but it also means the models are well weighted.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

It varies, of course. I think the issue is that planet like Baal or Ultramar, which is the home of a Chapter and has it's home base and supplies all it's novitiates would be exempt. Because they already have thier hands full maintaining an entire chapter. But fleet-based Chapters that take novitiates from just wherever, the planets they take kids from wouldn't be exempt.

as an example, the Imperial Fists recruit from the Necromunda underhives, and several other hive worlds in Segmentum Solar, but none of those planets are tithe-exempt because the chapter gets all the rest of their materiel and personnel from Terra and the Sol System

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

One_Wing posted:

My blow by blow from playing him in the last round is a few pages back, but the TLDR is that while I still don’t think he was deliberately cheating, he played incredibly sloppily and incredibly quickly in a way that almost certainly net advantaged him, because he didn’t have the level of familiarity needed with either common metagame armies or his own drat list to make it possible to play that fast without missing things. On several occasions I had to say “wait stop” because i’d seen him scoop up and roll for a wound with a dice that should have been a miss because of a modifier, and to give you an idea of how fast he was going on one occasion he was already on to the re-rolls for wounds by the time I got that out. He was also using the ultramarine dice, which are a total bastard to speed read between 4 and 6 if you aren’t familiar with them, which was hugely relevant because he was often hitting me on 5s.

Basically, he had so many rerolls and went so fast with hard to read dice that i couldn’t realistically cross check any of his rolling. Given i know for absolute certain that modifiers were mis-calculated at least twice, and both times in his favour, this is going to help a lot. The other thing is, on reviewing the deployment maps, and the fact that it used i don’t think it’s possible that his levidread was in 24 inch range of my Hemlock for the first shooting with it, and if he was playing it as 36 all day that will have been a big advantage, as it would have allowed the dread to not move on t1 on lots of the deployment maps. He was also very generous in measuring distances in his favour, and i realise moved the dread at least 12” T1 and still shot - he took it up and over a wall that was as tall as it was. I just assumed it had M12, but battlescribe tells me it’s 8.

His level of dodginess aside however, I think people are underestimating how good the list was for the metagame/event. The LOS blockers in deployment zones were perfectly sized to hide the levidread in deployment (though that’s less relevant now i know about it’s shorter range and move, as it would likely not get to shoot T1), and the damage output of that thing in Guilleman’s bubble is absolutely outrageous, even if it has to move. The fact it can mount three hunter killers also adds alpha strike potential.

The meta around the top tables was:
Guard infantry spam
Tau big suit/hammerhead spam
Various flavours of Aeldari
Custard Bikes

The list is actually really good against all those things - the levidread will kill a riptide by itself even after moving and shooting (once you include the missiles), cripple a stormsurge, and can almost waste a ravager with each arm. I re-ran the numbers, and even if we’d correctly resolved the shooting against the hemlock at -4, the expected damage should have been about 5 wounds (including the missiles). That’s unbelievable for -4, and shows that i was genuinely absurdly lucky not to lose it given we resolved at -3 (though the variance is gigantic). I strongly suspect that this was the first time in the entire event the thing he pointed the dread at turn 1 didn’t just vaporise, which might be why he got so salty.

Against custodes, the levidread kills four bikes stationary or three on the move, while the razorbacks waste three more, assuming stationary which is easier for them, and that’s before the hunter killer missiles are factored in, which i believe accounts for one from the dread and one from the razorbacks. Thats half the average bike loadout, at which point the remaining bikes find themselves at serious risk of being murdered by guilleman and celestine once they close.

I don’t think i need to explain why the list brutalises guard infantry spam.

Hrmm. Having written all this up, I’m now no longer convinced I didn’t just get deliberately scammed. In addition, because the terrain setup was the same on every map, I think it’s very likely that he did the wall hop trick every game. FW’s website doesn’t have a height for the dread, but the wall was tall enough to just hide it, and the base is 80mm, and i think the dread is taller than the base is wide. That means going up, down, and far enough laterally to clear the wall (1” thick and 4” tall based on the terrain specs) is at minimum twelve inches, and he placed the dread a couple inches out on the other side, so moving 14. Unless Battlescribe has everything about the dreadnought wildly wrong, he was playing it with a move characteristic about 6” bigger than it actually has, and I also think ignoring the range limit on his gun sometimes. I wonder if he was just assuming he could move through the ruins and i was the first person to call him on it, and he decided on the spot to claim it could go over.

So, I mean, that probably did help with the winning. Welp.

I was torn whether to make a Fyre Festival joke or a Dashcon joke for the caption of my first image, and went for the latter.

Event organisation - it’s harder than people apparently think.

Generally speaking most cheats come off looking like sloppy play- it’s plausible deniability if the cheater gets called out by a particular opponent. It’s definitely taught as a warning sign to identifying potential cheaters in things like tournament MtG.

A common way to run the cheats in a tourney is to play fast and sloppy but “coincidentally” have the mistakes work out to your benefit, and then if your opponent calls a judge, play dumb and try to talk formal warnings down to informal cautions so your record of judge calls on you isn’t fully recorded.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Milotic posted:

Scouts are a cheap troop that are hard to winkle out of cover and can be useful for seizing a relic early on. They are a good choice. The sculpts are a bit eh but whatever.

Scouts are less durable than tac marines in cover, unless they have cloaks in which case they're as durable as tac marines but cost more. Camo cloaks are a trap.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Endman posted:

I still think Oldmarines look better and fit the visual themes of the game better.

Good news is that we can disagree and that’s fine.

Maybe it was just looking at all the awesome work you guys do in the 30k thread, but I like old marines better now too. I'm way more excited to paint up the betrayal at calth set than more primaris.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

panascope posted:

WARHAMMER ADVENTURES

I don't know how to tell you this dude, but kids today are extremely aware of the fragility of life.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know how to tell you this dude, but kids today are extremely aware of the fragility of life.

The children race to find the foul alien shooting up the scolam, only to discover it was one of their classmates all along!

Just another day in the year 42018.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I bought into alderi when 8th first came out. I grabbed up a bunch of Harlequins, a Tantalus, and some CWE wraith Bros. Before all the codex started coming out it was real easy to play all of them together. Now that codex are out, how do I run them?

I want to run mostly Harlequins using the new codex with CWE and/or DE fire support. So, to do this I need a detachment of Harlequins which only contains models and rules from that codex, then I can run a separate detachment for either CWE or DE? If that's how it works, do the CWE or DE get all the rules and attributes within those codex, or are they limited to whatever aelderi is?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Endman posted:

Having 6 HQ units at 1500pts seems incredibly bizarre.

Then again 8th ed army building seems incredibly bizarre to me in general.

I’m still building my armies in the same way I’ve been doing for ages - starting with 1HQ, 2 Troops and another thing.

I usually write up an army in the old mindset of everything in one detachment, then I make a second pass on it to maximize the amount of CP I can run. This usually results in a couple of different permutations which is fun to test out across different games.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Guy Goodbody posted:

*Children in the United States. I believe this would get a UK release to begin with

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Booyah- posted:

Maybe it was just looking at all the awesome work you guys do in the 30k thread, but I like old marines better now too. I'm way more excited to paint up the betrayal at calth set than more primaris.

Painting up all my small Marines for my Templars before moving onto Primaris simultaneously feels like eating my vegetables so I can have dessert, and extremely liberating since the range is so huge and conversions are so easy to do by comparison.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

panascope posted:

WARHAMMER ADVENTURES

All Maximus wanted to do was grow up to be big and strong like his dad. He trained every day, following around the PDF troopers until he became a sort of mascot. He was a great shot, always cleaned his lasgun, and after his father passed in the line of duty he was considered for the Schola Progenium. On the day he was scheduled to ship out his organs were liquefied along with everyone else's when his home planet was virus bombed by order of Inquisitor Kryptman in preparation for the diversion of Hive Fleet Leviathan into the Ork Empire of Octarius.

When little Julia grew up, she was told over and over again about the glory of the God-Emperor of Mankind and the perversions of xenos filth. When her home world became friends with the strange gray aliens with the large robots she knew exactly what to do. Follow the adventures of Julia as she impotently resists the Greater Good and discovers the value of reeducation and summary execution.

As a baby Glort loved playing in the shores of the chem pools where his hovel was located deep inside the Underhive of Hive Primus. He fondly remembers the warmth of his father's tentacles as they tossed him in the air, or the soft touch of his mother's crab claw. Will Glort make friends with the new family of people with the red hoods that moved in next door, or will his unholy flesh be cleansed by the purifying fire of the Redemptionist Crusade? Purge your own mutants with Gang War IX!

Amelia was a bright child, the pride of the Planetary's Governor's family. Her father encourages her to study from the vast library that the family had accrued over countless generations. She was a prolific reader, always engrossing herself in the stories and pretty pictures. Follow along with Amelia as her naïve search for knowledge unwittingly tears a hole in the fabric of reality and condemns an entire solar system to damnation and the predations of Chaos!

Most menials have little to hope for, but plucky young Adam always dreamed of saving enough Thrones to buy his way into something greater. He had his heart set on one day escaping his chores at a noble house and seeking out an apprenticeship; if only the Tech Adepts saw what he could do they would whisk him away to Mars and perhaps he could work on machines! His dreams ended when he found himself between the Lord of the manor and the Eversor sent to purge the household for techno-heresy. Preorder Codex: Imperial Agents this weekend!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alokgen posted:

I bought into alderi when 8th first came out. I grabbed up a bunch of Harlequins, a Tantalus, and some CWE wraith Bros. Before all the codex started coming out it was real easy to play all of them together. Now that codex are out, how do I run them?

I want to run mostly Harlequins using the new codex with CWE and/or DE fire support. So, to do this I need a detachment of Harlequins which only contains models and rules from that codex, then I can run a separate detachment for either CWE or DE? If that's how it works, do the CWE or DE get all the rules and attributes within those codex, or are they limited to whatever aelderi is?

yeah, if you want to use them all you have to filter the different space elf tribes into separate detachments. run your harlequins in one, then add another detachment of Biel-tan or Kabal of the Black Heart or whatever. Your Craftworld detachment gets only the rules for its craftworld, your DE detachment gets only the rules for its kabal. run them in three discrete detachments and everybody gets their full faction special rules

i do the same thing with a combo of guard, admec and marines, and had a similar experience as the codexes arrived and simple imperial soup lost its appeal

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The bellowing of the Commissar barely carried over the constant roar of shuddering ferrocrete and thundering artillery. Whether the shells were being fired from Imperial lines or exploding above was not clear but the fading zeal of the haggard defenders suggested the latter. The missionary made his way down the line and presented each of the gaggle of press-ganged agri-workers a satchel and small hand device. Mattheus held his hands before him, ready to receive his demolition charge. Perhaps the toll years of starvation had taken upon his tiny frame gave the priest pause, whatever it was, the holy agent of the Adeptus Ministorum took a moment to provide a reassuring nod. The weight of the explosives hanging from the strap dug deeply into Mattheus' shoulder, how much longer could they possib-- the bunker erupted in a violet flash - screaming - the cruel whirring of a chainaxe - pain - two smoldering pinpoints blazing under blood-spattered lenses met his gaze.

Everything revealed itself with such clarity. It was beautiful. A single voice. A strong voice. "Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, so long as it flows." Mattheus rammed the detonator plunger into his chest. He was free.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The kid on the right has a loving penal-legion collar around his neck.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
You don’t know what crimes that kid committed. You don’t know his sordid past.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
probably had terminal arm cancer and as a result his parents committed his body to service to the Omnissiah in exchange for the Mechanicus replacing his frail, failing organs with superior technology. The collar is standard issue--the lives of terminal patients and penal legion members hold the same value, and they are adorned as such

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The kid on the right has a loving penal-legion collar around his neck.

That's what he gets for airbending, the filthy heretic.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ok finally trip report time. I'll cover the gaming itself, then the trip as a whole.

I already talked about games 1 and 2 so I'll keep them brief.

Game 1 was my favourite opponent of the weekend, playing Chaos Daemons. He had a softer version of a list I played before and lost to, with some renegade Guard Basilisks and Hellhounds and some Horrors instead of the extra Plaguebearer spam and all the Nurgle characters. We played Dominate and Destroy + Tactical Gambit and I ended up about 16 points ahead to win. A really fun game with a great and friendly opponent.

Pictures:

Game 2 was the one I talked about upthread against Andrew Gonyo and his Tau castle. This was a horrific match-up for me and it played out basically as expected. We played straight kill points and Spoils of War. Thinking back on it, I think I could have done a lot better by refusing to engage the Tau castle at all and just floating around outside of his range - I nuked all three of his Hammerheads pretty easily, so if I could have pulled that off and kept the rest of my army out of range of the fire warriors then I might have been able to pull off a narrow loss instead of getting flattened. I do think Tau need another balance pass though - right now it's too easy for them to castle up and outshoot you whilst also being untouchable in assault. Maybe making it so that only 1 or 2 units can fire Greater Good supporting fire per charge? idk. It's not like any of the Tau players placed in the top 3, so maybe it's just me who sucks.

Pictures:

(I wish these didn't suck so much, Gonyo's army was really nice and you can hardly tell)

Game 3 was the worst of the weekend for me. Dude was slow as hell about everything, and his list was totally boring to play against - 118 Cultists, Abbadon and a Sorceror, then 3 Tzeentch Princes, Ahriman and Magnus. He barely did anything most of the game (and took ages doing it) until Magnus casually strolled over and wiped out a bunch of stuff. I failed to block his turn 2 Tide of Traitors, so after killing 36 cultists out of 40 I ended up in the same position as I started in when they all re-appeared on the board. I pulled off a win with some clutch objective grabbing to finish the game, which the guy then pissed and moaned about. If he hadn't been so slow playing he probably could have gotten to turn 5 and Magnus would have been able to stop me pulling it off, or even if he'd just wrapped the objectives properly, but he didn't know the mission so he lost. So it goes.

Pictures:

After a poor night's sleep I rocked up on Sunday morning to find myself playing Guard. Guard are my favourite opponent as DE, because all their weaknesses - primarily lack of invulns and mobility - are DE's strengths. We had the modified Resupply Drop and modified Race to Victory - in the former you delete 2 objectives rather than 4, and in the latter the Maelstrom scoring stops at 10 cards but the Eternal War carries on. We played quarters, which suited me even more. My opponent had a Shadowsword, a Punisher tank commander, 3 Leman Russ Conquerors, a psyker, a ton of basic dudes, the obligatory 9 mortars, some plasma vets in a Taurox, and company commanders backing them up, plus 3 Sentinels. I got turn 1 for the first time by seizing on him (worth noting - I had the +1 in 4 of my 5 games, and I went 1st only once, by seizing in this game) and bundled the Hellions and Reavers across the board to engage half his army in turn 1. I managed to touch two Russes and his Taurox and almost, almost managed to wrap the Shadowsword so that his entire flank couldn't move, but I couldn't quite cover the back of it. The rest of the game consisted of me bunching him over tighter into his corner until I'd deleted everything except his Shadowsword and a Sentinel. He played really well and used the Shadowsword (which I couldn't really do anything about) to its absolute maximum, but eventually I just had too much obsec left for him to deal with it and enough Venoms pinging around to block him from moving usefully.

Probably my favourite moment of this game was him breaking the No Escape from the Succubus to run two infantrymen out of combat, hitting them with a Move Move Move to try and claim Secure Objective 1 next to my Archon, only for her to Heroic Intervention into him when his Shadowsword charged and kill both dudes. Those little guys were doing so well and then bam, huskblade to the face.

Pictures:

With 3 wins in the bag I was basically happy with the weekend. I was even happier when I saw my next opponent's list, because I knew that I should be able to absolutely gently caress it. He had 3 BA hammer captains and 3 Scout squads, another Shadowsword (bleh), then a Guard Battalion with Pask and another Punisher commander, a scattering of infantry, 2 Basilisks, a Manticore and 3x Mortars (now I think about it I can't remember how he got to have so many mortars? maybe it was a Spearhead?)

The last mission was Frontline Warfare (modified so you scored every turn) and Kill Confirmed (kill points + Maelstrom cards). It was clearly designed to be high-scoring and separate the pack. We had the dumb squashed pentagon deployment and I deployed as aggressively as possible since my goal was to get into all his stuff turn 1 and lock it up. After I finally won the roll to go first the fucker only went and seized on me! He didn't really make the best use of it though, so with the Hellions mostly alive and a couple of dead Venoms (sad, but not the worst thing to lose against him) I was off on my merry way. The Hellions crossed the board and went into two infantry mobs and Pask + claimed the 4pt objective, the Succubus managed to move + advance a massive 14" + her transport move to get into charge range on turn 1, and some Venoms piled up as well. The Paskisher shot literally once before I spent the rest of the game locking him in combat before finally letting him go in turn 5 so I could kill him and score Assassinate. I wiped half his stuff off the board early doors and claimed about 18 points in one go. I knew I'd won when his second turn ended with him still on less points than me, and after that it snowballed until I ended up winning 85-22, which turned into my only 20-0 of the weekend.

Pictures:

What did I learn? I think mostly that my list is too skewed to beating Imperial (and specifically Guard) gunlines and struggles with a lot of other things. I had the big mob of Hellions which was clutch against the two Guard players, and wiped the Plaguebearers (which was the job they were included to do) in game 1, but got absolutely owned in games 2 and 3. They're nearly 300pts and for all that they're fast and killy they're insanely fragile. They tend to either do something huge or do absolutely nothing, and if you go second then you might as well write them off unless you're playing someone with literally no high rate of fire shooting (or they don't prioritise them well enough). Also, in 2 of my games (1 and 3) I paid 3 CP and deep struck the Ravagers from force of habit for absolutely no good reason, since my opponents had nothing to shoot at them with. I'd have been better off putting the Hellions in the webway instead to protect them.

I have a lot to consider - I really want to dive into Necrons, but I also have a ton of ideas for things to do with the Drukhari (more planes, or Covens stuff, there's a lot of options) and I feel like expanding on those rather than diving into yet another army might be more fruitful. I have enough robodudes sitting around to be getting on with and enjoy painting, and I really don't need to add to the backlog, so I'll take some time and think about it.

Now for the event itself. Everyone's heard about it now - the hour delay on Saturday, the complete lack of communication around round times, the organiser completely disappearing. They didn't even have table numbers out until about 10am, when we were supposed to already be starting after a "welcome speech" which never happened. One thing that really bugged me was playing 2 games squeezed into a tiny row with barely room to breathe, when there were 10 tables at the end of the hall completely unused all day because not enough people showed up. When all was said and done I got into the venue at about 9am, and I packed up from my last game on Saturday at around 9.30pm. That's utterly ridiculous. The terrain was beyond a joke - even if they'd "finished" it it would have been poo poo, and it wasn't even as good as they clearly thought it was from a functional point of view, since it didn't actually block LoS that effectively in many set-ups and there was zero area terrain or cover on most of the boards. There were supposedly 25% heavy terrain boards, 50% moderate, and 25% light - I'd say that in that hall 80% were the "light" set-up, 20% moderate, and zero heavy.

The queues for food were insane, and they clearly hadn't considered how the venue would cope with 800ish people all trying to eat at once. Credit to the stadium staff who did their best to be as fast and helpful as possible as far as I saw, but it was a really stupid situation to be in.

Day 2 was managed slightly better - overnight they'd shifted some of the table numbers around and broken up some of the really poo poo islands so that there was more room, and someone finally thought to put a table with jugs and cups out so that people weren't drying out, plus a bunch of people dropped and went home so that relieved some pressure. They didn't manage to formally start a single round, or to properly do time calls, and then had the gall to call for a "hard dice down" at the end of game 5. I still haven't seen the full results with all the soft scores. I couldn't even find an organiser to ask when the results would be, so we decided to give up and gently caress off home rather than hang around for an indeterminate period.

On the plus side, I got one of the goody bags so I have one of those anniversary Intercessor Sergeants now, and some cool bitz if I ever decide to do an Ork army, plus what I think is an LGT exclusive cyber-man-at-arms. That doesn't really make up for the rest though.

I'm not 100% averse to going back, assuming they move, and get the terrain built with plenty of notice, and show any contrition at all for how poo poo this was instead of going completely radio silent. Definitely not next year though - I'll give them another run at it and see from the outside whether it looks like an improvement, and maybe think about it for 2020.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 21, 2018

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

This whole thing feels a little misguided doesn't it

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Actually it is a great idea.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Bald kid's right arm is freaking me out. At first I thought he has a straight robo arm, then I saw the skin and figured "deformed arm", and then I noticed it either doesn't actually connect to his body or connects to some brown sphere. gently caress is your deal timmy

I really like new GW's usual choices, but trying to tailor their british-satire-turned-unironic-ironic-misery-simulator into a kids book seems...pretty weird. Sigmar seems like it would be the better choice.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Corrode posted:

plus what I think is an LGT exclusive cyber-man-at-arms.

Neat, is this an old common LGT reward or a new sculpted boy for this year?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

Neat, is this an old common LGT reward or a new sculpted boy for this year?

I have no idea, but it says "LGT 2018" on the base so I assume it's new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:cripes: