Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I'd imagine they're still in a producer role, like they were for Batman.

E: Also, I think the main reason Ninjago was so underwhelming was because the source material wasn't as strong as Batman or The Concept Of LEGO. We should be fine with LM2.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This is overlooking the edge of animation but the trailer for Andy Serkis's Jungle Book movie Mowgli hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxCT36DxKg

It's interesting to compare it with the recent Live Action Disney version, especially how a lot of the characters are more cartoonier than Disney's

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Those mocap(?) animal faces are really fuckin' weird.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Those mocap(?) animal faces are really fuckin' weird.

They gave them human eyes for some reason, it's weird. Making their lips move like human lips to form the words also looks weird.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think Baghera and Sher Khan look fine (in fact Sher Khan's face looks like Tigress from Kung Fu Panda, so I can totally buy it) but that WOLF wow, now that is bad.

Andy Serkis though kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth lately with how he doesn't seem to really give the animators the credit they deserve. I think him and Cumberbatch do very good jobs of course, but the animators are never really given the credit for truly bringing these characters to life

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
While I suspect the film won’t go so far as to show Mowgli wearing Shere Khan’s pelt for the third act it might be nice to finally get a more faithful adaptation of Kaa’s role in the story.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Screw that, I want my big-budget adaptation of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

ungulateman posted:

i ended up checking out the mlp movie for the hell of it, and it's a pretty straightforward extension of what i remember from the show: Naive Idealists encounter Cynical Pessismist(s), the former convince the latter to be less...that, credits roll. It's nice

I remember getting dragged to that by some friends and finding it harmless fun but I also really wanted the Evil Overlord guy who freezes ponies to be less "Ha ponies are stupid who could ever like them" and more "I'm gonna collect frozen ponies and threaten/hurt random people for judging my hobby cause I'm a tool!"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Isn't that what bronies do in real life?

Do they exist anymore, actually?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

tragically, yes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

1) yeah, that's basically them, bronies are insane

2) not really, most of them have either turned into neo-Nazis or moved on to different cartoons

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

much as Questionable Content gets poo poo on, they were on point when they did an 'outside perception of fandom' strip, where MLP was rendered as 'Casually Racist Ponies'

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/disenchantment/status/999001971012112384

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not so sure Matt Groening has it anymore, so I dunno what to think of a new show by him :\

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

E: wrong thread

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I'm not so sure Matt Groening has it anymore, so I dunno what to think of a new show by him :\

Is he actually the one writing/directing it or is this like Futurama where he’s more of a producer?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Is he actually the one writing/directing it or is this like Futurama where he’s more of a producer?
Matt has never been an animation director and only contributes ideas. He's always been a producer type.

But anyway, the actual show is being run by Josh Weinstein and Bill Oakley. They're best known for showrunning seasons 7 and 8 of The Simpsons and co-creating Mission Hill. Weinstein also was heavily involved in Gravity Falls, writing many great episodes of the series.

Billy West, Joe DiMaggio, Tres MacNelle, and Maurice LaMarche all return with Broad City's Abbi Jacobson in the lead role.

It could still suck, but it's worth getting excited over.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Timeless Appeal posted:

Weinstein also was heavily involved in Gravity Falls, writing many great episodes of the series.

This is relevant because apparently a few other season 2 Gravity Falls writers (like Jeff Rowe and Shion Takeuchi) are also involved

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

that's the joke, yes

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Some actual news and a release date:

https://twitter.com/Roweyourboatz/status/999321859421192193?s=19

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
so like what's going on with John Lasseter? isn't the end of his "sabbatical" this week?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

With any luck, its end is indefinitely postponed.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I suspect if no one has heard about him returning that it's likely to mean that he's not welcomed back.

GOOD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

B-But he's friends with Hayao Miyazaki, guys! Look at how good friends he is with Hayao Miyazaki!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

B-But he's friends with Hayao Miyazaki, guys! Look at how good friends he is with Hayao Miyazaki!

The funny thing is I wouldn't be surprised if the Lasseter stuff is part of why Disney severed their relationship with Ghibli and let GKIDS take over distribution of their stuff entirely

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I honestly don't believe Miyazaki has been friends with anybody but Isao Takahata.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Speaking of Miyazaki, which dub of Castle of Cagliostro does the Blu-ray have? I'm so used to the newer one with the current cast. We saw it in theaters a few months ago and it was with that old dub where they called him "Wolf" and it was weird. Jigen's current English VA suits him much better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think I've heard it's the non-Hayter dub.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know which one that is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's the old one. The Hayter dub is the good one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. I like Hayter but I didn't like that dub. The newer one is better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, Hayter is in the newer Manga Entertainment dub. Sorry if it was unclear. From what I've heard, Netflix has the older one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. poo poo gets confusing.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

Speaking of Miyazaki, which dub of Castle of Cagliostro does the Blu-ray have? I'm so used to the newer one with the current cast. We saw it in theaters a few months ago and it was with that old dub where they called him "Wolf" and it was weird. Jigen's current English VA suits him much better.

I don't know if there's another release of it, but the one I have from Discotek has both English dubs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whichever is the one from the DVD I bought around 2007. With the made up Spielberg quote. That's a fantastic dub.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, that one's on the blu-ray. Discotek was able to license all the English dubs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Excellent!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I honestly don't believe Miyazaki has been friends with anybody but Isao Takahata.

It's true that he doesn't have a genuine friendship with Lasseter.

" John Lasseter visits the studio and on camera talks about his admiration for Miyazaki's films. The two of them seem to have a warm, personal relationship as they talk to each other and move through the studio. When Miyazaki is alone, Sunada asks Miyazaki, "What do you like about Lasseter-san?" Miyazaki's response is "What do I like about him? That's not the kind of relationship we have with each other. I need Lasseter. He's necessary." The same man who can create the warmth of Totoro can be cold, calculating and inconsiderate."

mayersononanimation.blogspot.ca/2015/01/the-kingdom-of-dreams-and-madness.html

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I went to find the most recent article on the Lasseter, and I regret reading the comments, bunch of men laser-focusing on 'unwanted hugs' and bitching about women being too fragile.

gently caress off, bet you'd be crying if a sweaty, fat gently caress in a hawaiian shirt hugs you repeatedly. Not to mention hugging is the *least* of the issues brought up, between hands up skirts, hogging credit, and driving people out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

I went to find the most recent article on the Lasseter, and I regret reading the comments, bunch of men laser-focusing on 'unwanted hugs' and bitching about women being too fragile.

gently caress off, bet you'd be crying if a sweaty, fat gently caress in a hawaiian shirt hugs you repeatedly. Not to mention hugging is the *least* of the issues brought up, between hands up skirts, hogging credit, and driving people out

Learning that Lasseter stole basically the entirety of Cars was mind-boggling. I thought of that film for so long as Lasseter's love letter to small town Americana but that turned out to be a lie.