Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ces 2013 was nothing but garbage tablets and ""journalists"" falling over themselves posting 'is this the ipad killer ???'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

ces 201* was nothing but garbage tablets and ""journalists"" falling over themselves posting 'is this the ipad killer ???'

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
reminder that the motorola xyboard won best of show with the only instance of the product powered off and under glass

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

reminder that the motorola xyboard won best of show with the only instance of the product powered off and under glass

lol

had to literally just go look up what that thing was, had no memory of what it was.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the tablet motorola did actually release came with a custom sim-sized die cut piece of plastic in the sim tray with a warning that cell functionality didn't work yet and you could permanently brick the tablet if you tried

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

the tablet motorola did actually release came with a custom sim-sized die cut piece of plastic in the sim tray with a warning that cell functionality didn't work yet and you could permanently brick the tablet if you tried

i got you fam

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

efb

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's some uncut high quality android right there

imagine the meeting where they had to tell upper management about this

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

that's some uncut high quality android right there

imagine the meeting where they had to tell upper management about this
upper management was all "were still on track to ship by end of quarter and get our milestone bonuses right? right?!?"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

upper management was all "were still on track to ship by end of quarter and get our milestone bonuses right? right?!?"

qirex_6_figures_and_bonus_while_failing.textsnippet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

oh yeah, I originally wrote that about motorola's tablet department

it was 8 figures iirc

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 17, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

graph posted:

one of my favorite posts of all time

orange sky
May 7, 2007

What post is that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

orange sky posted:

What post is that

qirex posted:

I'm going to map this out
- Exec is lured into said position with huge signing bonus. Bonus Count: 1
- Executive's bonus criteria are to ship an iPad competitor and "build" tablet business
- Exec spends hundreds of millions doing just that with full knowledge that it's not competitive but he's meeting his written goals
- The first year passes before the product is out or has pricing or final details, exec gets giant bonus for doing a good job even if that's not true because board is full of people who don't know poo poo. Bonus Count: 2
- Tablet ships right before exec gets next bonus, probably for hitting arbitrary quarterly deadline. Do you really think it wouldn't be better for them to have waited 2 months for Flash and 4G to work? There's only one reason to release it now and that's so it can be "Q1". Bonus Count: 3
- Thing craters in the market but blame is placed on Apple, exec vows that follow-up version will be the best thing ever
- Follow-up version takes longer than expected to deliver, annual bonus for working hard in challenging conditions. Bonus Count: 4
- Follow-up ships suspiciously close to the end of a financial quarter. Bonus Count: 5
- Follow-up craters in market, board decides it's time for said executive to send more time with the family. Massive severance package ensues. Bonus Count: 6

So that's how you can make 8 figures in 3 years while failing every step of the way.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 16, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

as i recall, you had to mail your xyboard back to motorola to get the 4g upgrade, as well

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the ballad of PleasureKevin

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Endless Mike posted:

as i recall, you had to mail your xyboard back to motorola to get the 4g upgrade, as well

lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

graph posted:

ces 2013 was nothing but garbage tablets and ""journalists"" falling over themselves posting 'is this the ipad killer ???'

some good stuff from the CESpit those years, yessir

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

some good stuff from the CESpit those years, yessir

sure was, let me go check the vault

*blows dust off folder labeled "moose_milkie"

ah, there you are

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jfc skype for business for professionals totally not lync has the worst UI i've ever used

W H I T E S P A C E and giant buttons for no reason
the useful bit of the chat window is like 40% of the space

gently caress you mcirosoft

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

jfc skype for business for professionals totally not lync has the worst UI i've ever used

W H I T E S P A C E and giant buttons for no reason
the useful bit of the chat window is like 40% of the space

gently caress you mcirosoft
my favorite part is copy and paste

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

sure was, let me go check the vault

*blows dust off folder labeled "moose_milkie"

ah, there you are

lmao

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
can we talk about the latest Windows 10 update because lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Significant Ant posted:

nope, you are definitely not allowed to talk about microsoft products in this, the microsoft thread

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Significant Ant posted:

i love how it interacts with endpoint

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Significant Ant posted:

its pretty good so far.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

lol just lol when you update a product and the low probability best case outcome is poo poo stays exactly the same

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I think the latest update lost my monitor's calibrated color profile, i had to recalibrate it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i got a brand new f: drive when i updated windows 10. and guess what? it's low on disk space!

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
new update makes visual studio not look like poo poo in hidpi so its good op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my onedrive is almost full but i don't use onedrive so idk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Significant Ant posted:

its bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

its pretty good so far.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
win 10 is bad and the ui is atrocious

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

win 10 is bad and the ui is atrocious

literally worse than desktop Linux. gnome 3 is more coherent than win10s poorly executed mishmash of ui styling from over the years

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

OldAlias posted:

literally worse than desktop Linux. gnome 3 is more coherent than win10s poorly executed mishmash of ui styling from over the years

for a prime example open the task scheduler

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Boiled Water posted:

for a prime example open the task scheduler

pretty sure there they just ripped off process explorer in a major way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they own it, is it really "ripping off" when it's yours to begin with?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i definitely feel owned and ripped off by windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
the only good things about the updates are the ones they never bother to document anywhere and you only run into them months later and go "oh that's cool" (eg. you can finally change the default audio device on an app-by-app basis)

clearly they must keep them hidden to not get wiped out by management