Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Morby posted:

What the hell is “skill” anyway? I never figured that out.

Combat prowess. Gotta love a hostess who can fight four dudes with only a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just get to 1.5 or 2x the required fans for each battle and steamroll every other club.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GANDHITRON posted:

Also remember that matching appearance to customer preference is nice, but it should take a backseat to 1. specific hostess requests and then 2. actual skills (party, skill, love, talk).

I just scroll through my girls and then pick whichever one gives the customer the happiest face.

Ties are broken on whatever I feel like at the time (sometimes I feel like a specific girl is more likely to be requested, sometimes I want to level someone, etc).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
hi this is your reminder that tanimura owns and his moveset is still the most fun in the series

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

IcePhoenix posted:

I just scroll through my girls and then pick whichever one gives the customer the happiest face.

Ties are broken on whatever I feel like at the time (sometimes I feel like a specific girl is more likely to be requested, sometimes I want to level someone, etc).

Oh yeah, I forgot about the face thing. Once I noticed the faces and that time stops when you're selecting a hostess, the game became kind of brain dead to me.

Still loved it because Majima as a suave club owned is cool as poo poo.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

garfield hentai posted:

I know I'm pretty late to this but I just finished 0 and moved onto Kiwami after having not played any of these since PS2. I assumed going in that Majima's story would explain how he turned from an eccentric guy to a full on lunatic, and after getting into it a bit I figured that it'd be something involving Motoko, like she dies and he goes mad with grief or he decides that it's not worth caring about anything anymore because with her gone nothing has any meaning or something along those lines. Instead at the end he's just like "drat a lot of people I met were completely loving bonkers. I really admired them, I should be like that too".

Majima's shift in personality was from trying to live up to the expectations of others only to be treated like middle management. Skilled but ultimately no authority in any form. He didn't realize just how far Saejima would go for his boss and it took the deaths of Lee, Nishitani and Sagawa to remind him how if he is to survive the criminal underworld as a boss he needs something that keeps his enemies guessing instead of being an utterly predictable salaryman

Ytlaya posted:

It actually kinda bugs me how Akiyama makes people do all this work showing their willingness to work hard as hostesses or doing hard physical labor when he was apparently blessed with god's gift to make Literally A Billion Dollars day trading within just a few years. Dude has the god-given talent to make a zillion dollars on the internet and he's lecturing others about the necessity of hard work.

Akiyama stated that he was a skilled banker back in the day, even then he wasn't making money by being the silver bullet dealer, he had to earn his money by buying and selling stocks based on the proper supply and demand. So at the start there were days when his stocks won't make much because no one wanted it, and on days where people wanted to invest he could fulfill that demand and make some money off day trading.

Morby posted:

What the hell is “skill” anyway? I never figured that out.

General service quality, knowing how to pour the right amount to please a client, and not being an overall klutz who spills the expensive wine on an expensive suit as well as handling the troublesome guests without causing trouble.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 21, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cabaret Club Storyline finished last night :toot:

Now all that's left to do is finish all the girls' training (which if my count is correct is 13 more sessions), train with the old dude a couple more times, and I can finally advance the story :haw:

I know I could technically wait for the end game to do the training but I want to level up a bit more anyway so the money I'll pull in will make it worth the time.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Just finished Kiwami.

Was that Akiyama picking up the money in the ending? If so, that's a really cool touch.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I took down Club Moon easily without any max level plat waitresses, but I had 16K fans to their 10K

Also, I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but how awesome would it be if the next Yakuza game had a branching storyline with multiple endings? Sega hire Chris Avellone plz

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

curried lamb of God posted:

I took down Club Moon easily without any max level plat waitresses, but I had 16K fans to their 10K

Also, I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but how awesome would it be if the next Yakuza game had a branching storyline with multiple endings? Sega hire Chris Avellone plz

Every time a gun is drawn, the "disarm your opponent immediately and make sure they can't pick the gun up again as soon as their back is turned" option is displayed, but greyed-out and unselectable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm in the final chapter of Yakuza 5 now. I liked the twist with Katsuya (him being good, though the twist with the cop being the Omi Alliance chairman was both extremely predictable and pretty dumb. Like, was he just counting on Kiryu and Saejima being too dumb to actually check if he was an actual cop (granted, that's probably a pretty fair assumption to make about Kiryu/Saejima)? Has the appearance of the Omi Alliance chairman been kept a total secret for decades?

I also liked Shinada as a character.

gyrobot posted:

Akiyama stated that he was a skilled banker back in the day, even then he wasn't making money by being the silver bullet dealer, he had to earn his money by buying and selling stocks based on the proper supply and demand. So at the start there were days when his stocks won't make much because no one wanted it, and on days where people wanted to invest he could fulfill that demand and make some money off day trading.

Yeah, my point is that no one manages to reliably outperform the market - much less do so to the extent of "turning $10,000 into Literally a Billion Dollars" - unless they're a total genius (or more accurately have super powers). Being a banker doesn't give you magic super day-trader skills.

I mean, realistically the game is just underestimating how completely ludicrous it is to be able to turn $10,000 into that much money through day-trading, but it still comes off as kinda lovely for Akiyama to lecture others about hard work when he can make 1000x as much money through day trading.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

His thing isn't 'hard work' though it's 'determination', he gives you a lovely task to see if you're just gonna give up because it's not that important in the end. It's still manifests in lovely ways, especially the side-quest with the woman with the abusive husband in 4, but it's not 'work hard' it's 'prove to me that you have no other options'.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

2ch, the Japanese one posted:

<2chのフラゲ情報より>

『龍が如く』シリーズのリマスター版がPS4で3作品発表。

『龍が如く3』が8月9日発売。

『龍が如く4』が2018年秋発売。

『龍が如く5』が2019年春発売。

解像度やフレームレートが向上している。

Remastered releases, Yak 3 August 9th, Yak4 fall, Yak5 spring. Resolution and framerates to see improvement.
e: it's from the latest Dengeki PlayStation?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 22, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Remastered releases, Yak 3 August 9th, Yak4 fall, Yak5 spring. Resolution and framerates to see improvement.
e: it's from the latest Dengeki PlayStation?

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/yakuza-3-4-and-5-remasters-announced-for-ps4

Those are Japan release dates, and a price was given for the 3 remaster (4,000 yen including a soundtrack download code). So from the price I wouldn’t expect Kiwami-level remastering or expansion of content.

I wonder if the translations will be cleaned up for the English language versions. Also wonder what the release schedule will be.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Yakuza 5 at 60fps will play about the same as 0/Kiwami, so that's great. Those games really don't need a Kiwami treatment like 1 and 2 deserved so it's alright. I just wish it's gonna be announced in occident soon.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

They keep releasing more and more Yakuza games and I have no time to play them all. Stupid adult obligations.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Does this mean we'll get the missing poo poo back in 3

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finally started moving the story again in 0, chapter 8 was a ride. I'm glad the stealth section was like 100% easier (only had to avoid one group really) because that was super annoying the first time. Glad to be back with Kiryu again, too.

A quick question for people that completed the game: am I ever going to get a big gently caress off completion bonus for beating a chapter (or tje game) or should I resign myself to the grind to finish out the skill trees? I think I need like 15 billion yen still for Majima which is a LOT of cabaret club still (I'm pulling in 100-120 mil per night in moon area). Not sure on Kiryu but real estate is more hands off and I still need to do minigames for completion.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

IcePhoenix posted:

Finally started moving the story again in 0, chapter 8 was a ride. I'm glad the stealth section was like 100% easier (only had to avoid one group really) because that was super annoying the first time. Glad to be back with Kiryu again, too.

A quick question for people that completed the game: am I ever going to get a big gently caress off completion bonus for beating a chapter (or tje game) or should I resign myself to the grind to finish out the skill trees? I think I need like 15 billion yen still for Majima which is a LOT of cabaret club still (I'm pulling in 100-120 mil per night in moon area). Not sure on Kiryu but real estate is more hands off and I still need to do minigames for completion.

You do get a pretty sizeable money reward for beating the game that you can take into Premium Adventure mode, but between you and me and everyone else in this thread, Kiryu makes WAY more money via real estate than Majima makes, and you'll meet a character who can transfer money between the two characters. If you're looking to get Majima rich quick, have Kiryu earn the money and send it to Majima. (Admittedly this is easier to do near the end of the game when you can freely switch characters)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, I met him as part of Majima's story in chapter 7.

Also as far as real estate goes, it's not so much that you make way more money, it's that you can do other stuff while you wait to collect.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I bought a copy of Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan even though my Japanese language skills are rather... limited. What am I doing with my life and money :shepspends:

(it was only 12 euros with free shipping so I figured why the hell not)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Crappy Jack posted:

You do get a pretty sizeable money reward for beating the game that you can take into Premium Adventure mode, but between you and me and everyone else in this thread, Kiryu makes WAY more money via real estate than Majima makes, and you'll meet a character who can transfer money between the two characters. If you're looking to get Majima rich quick, have Kiryu earn the money and send it to Majima. (Admittedly this is easier to do near the end of the game when you can freely switch characters)
IIRC the money transfer guy is restricted to way less than you need to finish Majima's skill trees until after the end of the game, so you either have to grind Mr Shakedown really hardcore on Majima or beat the story first to get all his skills.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sindai posted:

IIRC the money transfer guy is restricted to way less than you need to finish Majima's skill trees until after the end of the game, so you either have to grind Mr Shakedown really hardcore on Majima or beat the story first to get all his skills.

I'm sort of at the point where I'm just ready to blitz the story and just do trophy cleanup in the postgame anyways so that's fine. I might finish off the Cabaret Club stuff with Majima next time I have control of him just so I can have all his sidequests done but that's about it. Kiryu I will probably be doing more than just story with in his chapters, I have a lot to do yet for him.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Ugh I really hate the climax battles. I'm so close to getting the plat for Kiwami and they are the only thing standing in my way but they're so unfun compared to every other part of the game

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Sindai posted:

I thought it was just before the finale? Like, I remember four little checkpoints you have to hit, with the last one being both big and without a Mr Moneybags Cut.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Also as far as real estate goes, it's not so much that you make way more money, it's that you can do other stuff while you wait to collect.

Eventually, once you get near the end of the Real Estate line, you will be making a TON with each collection. You’ll have to plow it back into the last properties, but still, if all you want is leveling up cash, it’s a good place to get to.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man nobody loving told me the revelations for Saejima in 4 is him busting out a loving log and carving a wood statue of himself doing heat actions on dudes in the middle of the loving street and now I’m training this kid to beat the poo poo out of random underground street fighters and I did that and now I’m training a masked tiger wrestler WHAT IS THIS GAME

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I beat Club Moon by the slimmest of margins. 53 million yen beat 50 million.

Whew.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

harperdc posted:

Eventually, once you get near the end of the Real Estate line, you will be making a TON with each collection. You’ll have to plow it back into the last properties, but still, if all you want is leveling up cash, it’s a good place to get to.

I'm at the end. Even with the max upgrades it takes much longer to collect than running the cabaret club once. You can run two or three cabaret clubs (which is 300-350ish million total) in the time it takes to collect. Real estate still makes more in that time (500ish I think?) but if you're not just idling next to it there's lost time getting back to the office as well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if the cabaret game was on mobile, i would probably still be playing it

i love the scene of the hostess waving majima away dismissively and then him subtly giving a thumbs up as he walks away so much

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
also this song completely slams, I've listened to it while getting ready for dates before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

It's an empty lot for you Jim!

Just jumped into Kiwami after about a year after beating Zero. So happy to hear the news about the PS4 ports and I really hope there is a localization announcement soon.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

goddamnit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I’m making an offer... in cash!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP4hro981ns

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

I’m making an offer... in cash!
You know, most games are power fantasies but holy heck if that one didn't really feel enjoyable in retrospect

Taintrunner posted:

Oh man nobody loving told me the revelations for Saejima in 4 is him busting out a loving log and carving a wood statue of himself doing heat actions on dudes in the middle of the loving street and now I’m training this kid to beat the poo poo out of random underground street fighters and I did that and now I’m training a masked tiger wrestler WHAT IS THIS GAME
Saejima is really the best character in a way, but never in his main story. He gets to run the dojo, hide in sewers and pick garbage, hunt animals, shoot bears, then beat up bears and have snowball fights

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

HOLY poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

also this song completely slams, I've listened to it while getting ready for dates before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzFBnfRfo

This song definitely bops. In an amazing soundtrack full of amazing music, the Caberet Club songs are my favorites.