Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Have you ever worked retail? Imagine that, but much angrier. (pay is better though).

Actually a lot of the time it's fine. A lot of the time people are super nice and thankful. The best is when someone does their own return and then I come in and fix it and get them back a bunch of money.

I worked in retail before, it was great inspiration to get the MAcc and CPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I worked in retail before, it was great inspiration to get the MAcc and CPA.

So, you know what the public is like. Now imagine that plus the stress of deadlines and thousands (or sometimes millions) of dollars at stake.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
X-post from resume/interview thread because I think people might appreciate it here:

Had another interview today and I think it had the sketchiest question I've ever gotten in a job interview.

So, I got to this small firm. Maybe ten fulltime employees. I'm already a little down on the idea of the place because they want me to travel to the city on a semi-regular basis which is a lot for the salary requirements, reimbursed or not.

But, then they go "So, what do you think about clients putting personal expenses on their business accounts? When they try to right off their personal expenses as business expenses?"

So, I respond and say "Well, people tried to do that at my old job. When things looked off, I'd consult with the client. Sometimes, it was a personal expense and we handled it as a shareholder distribution or the equivalent so everything was in proper, legal compliance. Sometimes, it was a business expense and we could include it as such in good faith. But I always kept my eye out to make sure that we prepared accurate returns that I could feel comfortable sending off in good faith." Because I'm assuming he's trying to see if I'm aware of people trying to do that and ever had to look for and correct for it.

And then he goes "Well, right. But you do have to work with your client. You don't want to do anything you shouldn't, but we do tend to do aggressive positions here. And sometimes the client wants to take things they shouldn't even when you tell them otherwise. And you have to work with the client."

So, this is sounding like a big red flag so I just go "I'd handle things on the situation. I wouldn't do anything I couldn't prepare in Good Faith." For those who don't know, Good Faith is an accounting term that means, essentially, everyone is acting honestly, acting within the law, doing what they think they should be able to.

And then he goes "I just want to make sure what we do here wouldn't make you feel nauseous."

And now I'm just like this sounds loving sketchy. Because to translate, this just happened:

Him: "Hey, how do you feel about clients doing something illegal?"

Me: "I've had them try it before. I worked through it to make sure they didn't do illegal things."

Him: "Right, but sometimes we may do questionably legal things here because the clients want to."

Me: "I won't break the law or do anything illegal."

Him: "I was just checking because we totally do illegal poo poo here."

Like, that was basically the exchange.

That was the sketchiest loving interview that I've ever been on. I've been lucky for no one ever ask me to do something illegal before in accounting,. But, apparently, here they ask you to before you even get an offer!

Also, they were really pushy.

Like, they asked me if I could theoretically start tomorrow and went "well, I'll be honest with you, I do have other interviews scheduled and the such"

And they go "so, you just want to lay back and wait till it all pans out and weigh your options?"

So I go, "Well I wouldn't put it like that, but I do plan on taking the interviews I've scheduled."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Wow, this is really weird. It's been almost exactly 2 hours since the interview ended and the guy called me back and offered the job at 7,500 higher than what I offered, despite me mentioning in the interview that I did have other interviews scheduled. So, this is just setting off alarm bells with me. Something just seems really off with all this. I told him I'll call him back within 2 weeks because, like I said when he asked, I had other interviews scheduled, one of which I'm on the second interview for.

Like something feels wrong. He even did say in the interview "what if you could theoretically start tomorrow" and asked some questions based on that. It sounds like something is up.

Edit: If it matters, they didn't want to put their firm name on the job application. They listed it as "confidential."

Edit: I am not taking this job in a million years. This is some sketchy poo poo, man. They definitely expect me to do illegal things.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 11, 2018

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Covok posted:

They definitely expect me to do illegal things.

No, they want you to turn a blind eye toward illegal things. But good on you for running as fast as you can away from this place!

At the small firm I used to work at, the only time that they kept the company name confidential in the job ad was when they were planning on firing someone and looking for an immediate replacement. Take that for what it’s worth.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Don't take that job unless the other option is homelessness. And even then, I think a temp stint in a shelter might be better than nuking your license forever.

If you're dead loving broke teach English to Chinese kids online in the middle of the night for $12/hour or whatever.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As someone just entering the profession I think you should take it for my own personal entertainment when you’re back here posting in a six months about the eventual outcome.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I had an offer like that for a small firm, well more a "handshake" deal, I peaced out after a day because I just had a horrible vibe about that place.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m looking to be receiving an offer in late August/early September. It’s my first big boy job out of school. How much power do I have with salary, or am I in no position to negotiate since I’m brand new?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I’m looking to be receiving an offer in late August/early September. It’s my first big boy job out of school. How much power do I have with salary, or am I in no position to negotiate since I’m brand new?

Depends on the job. If you’re talking Big 4 and are being recruited by multiple firms I’ve heard of people playing the firms against each other to some extent. I was working on a 2.97 GPA at the time so I wasn’t as picky.

What are you looking at in terms of a job?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I think starting salaries for a given market and specialty will be pretty similar across the firms. I would check glassdoor/your peers and make sure your offer is within the market range, and use that as a negotiating point if it is not.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
My understanding is there’s 0 variation in starting salary within any one office/service line but sometimes a little variation in signing bonus. This is assuming you’re not some special case like an EWS award winner

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I’ve been an accountant for ten years. I finally have a job where I work for a CPA and having passed the exam for fun back in 09 means I’m applying for my license.

I eagerly await becoming a bartender once I have those letters and taking it easy because LOL accounting.

(it’s seriously not a bad career but I think I need a vacation)

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

having passed the exam for fun back in 09

Please elaborate because I love this.

And there’s nothing like being a CPA to make you want to abandon everything and live in a van on the west coast.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Please elaborate because I love this.

And there’s nothing like being a CPA to make you want to abandon everything and live in a van on the west coast.

I guess in school we were all spoon-fed the idea of becoming CPA's so much that that added a lot of motivation, but I was also very career minded coming into the workplace, too. I ended up being a ski bum in Colorado and doing revenue accounting and internal audit for a resort and its HOAs for several years. Not a single CPA in the organization, so I figured I'd pass the CPA on my own and begin looking for a good public job in Denver once I passed. Out of pocket everything was pricey, especially because I was making $35k a year at that point with high cost of living and student loans to repay. I found an unused deluxe copy of Becker on craigslist which was a godsend.

Life kept happening and I became pretty busy with consulting, accounting, and ultimately making money on the weekends playing music. I was having fun in the High Rockies and a CPA license seemed like it wouldn't be a big deal given my career trajectory; I was becoming much more focused on MIS, ERP implementations, and reporting in the accounting function. After I hit my 30's I decided it was too costly to keep living in ski country and that I ought to seek greener pastures on the front range of Colorado.

CPA's everywhere, now, and after a stint doing some consulting on an Oracle implementation I'm back in corporate and have hit my experience mark. I think I may have to take an additional college audit class, depending on how they feel about the syllabus for my AIS courses, but otherwise I'm good to go. Good thing, too: in Colorado if you don't get your license within ten years of passing you need three years instead of one.

Now everyone here is asking if I'm going to quit once I get my license. I have no clue, just feels good that this chapter of studying and test taking won't be for not. Once I actually have my license I'll look for a good job working a deli counter somewhere so I can be massively overqualified and wildly underemployed.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Holy poo poo my controller signed off on my experience.

My work for the past 14 months has largely consisted of "Drink eight cans of La Croix a day and switch to beer at four thirty."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

19 o'clock posted:

My work for the past 14 months has largely consisted of "Drink eight cans of La Croix a day and switch to beer at four thirty."

Sounds good, they hiring?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Zil posted:

Sounds good, they hiring?

Afraid not...unless you happen to be a mechanical engineer?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m pretty good at unplugging and plugging stuff back in to see if it fixes whatever is broken.

I can probably word salad that into mechanical engineering on my resumé.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

boop the snoot posted:

I’m pretty good at unplugging and plugging stuff back in to see if it fixes whatever is broken.

I can probably word salad that into mechanical engineering on my resumé.

:same:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
You may be overqualified at that point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just curious if anyone here was able to get out of accounting/finance and how that went.....

Covok
May 27, 2013

Had my first day on the job. It was a little weird. They didn't really have work for me because it's a bit of a slow month until June 10th which is when they get all their sales tax data. They just have me work on some returns. I'm a little worried because it's been awhile and some things did confuse me. But I'm going to get them back that stack tomorrow. I just hope everything go as well. I really don't want to go back into the job market again.

Covok
May 27, 2013

That's funny. I didn't actually realize a lot of people actually work under me at my new job. I'm not used to that. I'm basically the office manager. That hit me hard today.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Anyone leave audit as an experienced senior and regret it or stick around to manager and are glad you did?

I know there’s benefits to staying but right now I’m struggling to justify it

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Anyone leave audit as an experienced senior and regret it or stick around to manager and are glad you did?

I know there’s benefits to staying but right now I’m struggling to justify it

Idk how’s your 401(k) vesting?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got to say, from the other side of things, firing decisions don't seem too hard. At least, when you got an employee like this one...

Okay, backstory: I am replacing a retiring accountant in a local division in a multinational corporation. This would make me the manager of the office. That's not nearly as big of a deal as it sounds. Sure, my technical title is "Senior Accountant/Office Manager" and I put it on my Linkedin like that, but it's not a big office. The old accountant is 75. While he e-files and uses some bookkeeping and tax software, he does some absurd things. For example, he prints out paper reports of everything despite paying for a digital, browser based tax software. It sounds petty, but if you got all the forms on your webbrowser, why do our bookkeepers print out literally 50 pages of reports (Cash disbursements by month , cash receipts by month, payroll by month, general ledger by period, bank reconciliation by month, trial balance by month, balance sheet YTD, income statement YTD, and general ledger detail on sales and purchases) every time they complete bookkeeping? Why does our accountant waste time reviewing all of this line-by-line when one of our bookkeepers has been working for him for 8 years and knows these accounts better than him? (more on her later).

The old accountant is also really bad on bogarting work. I softly pushed him to do sales tax differently this month. This is how he used to do it: the bookkeepers get 3 months bank statements, do all the bookkeeping, print out all those reports, put it in his office, he goes through line by line, he drafts up and submits the sales tax. I pushed him to teach the bookkeepers how to do sales tax, show him a draft, and either approve or correct, and have them submit. We got things done so fast we had nothing to do on deadline with only 2 people outstanding because they never brought in their paper work (they were called 4 times each over the month so not our problem), which is good for this office. We actually had a lot of downtine the entire season because we moved so fast. Honestly, since we know we have two weeks with NO WORK between sales tax and payroll and a month we literally call "Dead Months" between the payroll and sales tax months, I want to move all the bookkeeping to those times so we can get more clients done during the sales tax and payroll months.

I have a lot of ideas, honestly. Had a meeting today with our in-house financial adviser on how to best upsell clients on our financial services because the old accountant never referred anyone to our financial adviser. I liked his advice of "don't sell too hard," "never talk product, just sell the first meeting with me," "just chat with them and feel out what they might need help with", and "our main advantage is we do their taxes so we can sell them financial advisement to help them with their taxes." He also had a lot of packages that I can see being attractive to our clients and was smart in telling me what customers to look out for for each package.

This is all beside my original point.

That bookkeeper who worked their 8 years? She is a problem. See, she thinks that she is above everyone else because she has been their 8 years. This leads her to micromanage and order people around, including me. Now, I didn't want to step on toes, especially because the old accountant is still there till August. So, I came in super helpful, kept quiet, just listened and learned, and took lots of notes in secret of how to improve things. Despite treating everyone nicely, she has been hostile to me.

How hostile?

So, backstory: there is an employee who I call by a nickname. Nothing bad. I won't name names so let's say her name is "Samantha" and I call her "Sammi." Once, the 8 year old bookkeeper her me call her that and corrected me. I asked "Sammi" if there was an issue with the nickname and she said "It's fine. I don't mind. That bookkeeper has a weird problem with it."

Flash to this Wednesday, it's like 9:20 am, I've been there since 8:40am, she is just coming, and this bookkeeper asks me a question and I say "yeah, Sammi told me." She literally yells at me that it's"Samantha, not Sammi." She yelled so much that "Sammi" actually came out and said "seriously, it's cool, chill out." So, I'm pissed. I was so loving mad. Like, even if I wasn't her boss, I'd be fuming over this. Like, who the gently caress are you to yell at me?

So, I run an investigation. This is a pattern of behavior. She apparently thinks that, because she has been there for eight years, she is above other people and has been bossy to all of the other employees, including my boss. And my boss, the founder who uses this place as her HQ, hates her because this bookkeeper treats her like a foreigner because she thinks she works for the retiring accountant and not the company. She basically tells me that "if you want to fire her, go ahead. Trust me, I'm fine with it, but it's probably best to wait till the old accountant leaves and you got a replacement." We decide to have a meeting about this on Monday. We also have other issues with how we both agree the old accountant isn't introducing me to the new clients. Like, I've had to kind of fight him to actually meet them and my boss is not happy about this at all.

Anyway, today, we are having a party for another bookkeeper who is leaving to pursue college. At it, she brings up who will sign the sales tax and payroll returns after the retiring accountant leaves. I say that I will. She goes "why?" I say "because I'm the accountant." She goes "so I do most of the work and you sign it?" with a smug attitude. I just give her a nasty sarcastic "um, okay?" I didn't want to call her out in front of the whole office, especially since we had already scheduled a meeting to discuss this.

Hell, I had a meeting afterwards with my boss on the state of things. It was impromptu but I let her know how we were efficient on sales tax this quarter because of my new place, that I think we should go paperless, and a few other things. Like, I asked her if we had a lot of accounts receivable and she confirmed we did: I had guessed because the retiring accountant let it slip that one of our clients hadn't paid us in years and extrapolated from there that this was not an isolated incident. We discussed how we need to have a meeting on how to handle this and consider some collections plan. That's irrelevant. Point is, I had to bring it up that I really don't know what her problem is.

Frankly, the whole experience has been a little surreal. See, I got my start at the Big 4 and worked at a very professional local firm. When I started to take over work from the old accountant, everyone was surprised how quickly I was turning around the work and how it was being done without any errors despite me just starting. Meanwhile, I was surprised they considered my work fast at all. Frankly, since I was getting used to new software, I was working pretty slow by my standards. My boss expressed concerned that some of the bookkeepers and the retiring accountant were slow and I see why. They take a day to do what I do in an hour with the same quality of finished product. Hell, sometimes superior quality.

Why? Because the Big 4 have time budgets and taught me how to use Excel properly. I have spent the time making excel spreadsheets that do all the work for me and automate my workflow so I can go 3x as fast the entire time I was there. I've also have experience working on returns as complicated as multinational head funds to as simple as the most basic 1040s. So none of the tax returns they threw at me were very challenging. My boss was loosing her mind on this real estate company's return so I said I could take it over for her. I got it done and off to the client in an hour and she was loving shocked that everything was perfect.

Honestly, I think it might be intimidating some people. The retiring accountant was annoyed I was using excel. Currently, all the sales tax returns go out under his name. It's just a thing for now as we transition the clients to me. So, out of professional courtesy, I let him see my drafts. He saw I used excel and insited calculators were just as good. Next time he saw me use one, he pulled out his calculator and tried to super quickly throw in the numbers and went "see, this is fast, that's slow." Minutes later he went "see, you got the gross sales wrong." I said "What? How? I took out the sales tax on the taxable sales. 344.95?" He looked at his worked, re-calculated it, erased his work, replaced it with the exact same number as mine and said nothing for the rest of the brief meeting.

I mean, seriously, come on. I've done returns for clients who are a complex connection of corporations and LLCs with some of them having over 100,000+ partners, I know how to do a sales tax return for gross sales of 344 dollars.

The retiring accountant really talked up how complicated his sales tax were, but they were honestly super loving simple. I never said anything, of course. I just did my work. But, I can kind of tell it pissed him off how I did it so quickly and effortlessly. The fact that I mentioned I did sales tax for a local firm before probably slipped his mind.

Some people I told this whole thing to over drinks think the same thing is probably happening with the bookkeeper. That she has kind of coasted along this whole time and can kind of tell that won't be enough anymore and is taking it out on me. She certainly must tell that I'm not pleased with her anymore because my boss let it slip that the retiring accountant was explaining to her how vital this bookkeeper was and how important she is today. I mean, I was pretty short with her after she yelled at me so she probably realized I wasn't taking any of her poo poo.

Also, I kind of joked with my boss how I had to rolled my eyes when the secretary and her assistant both went on and on about how "I didn't know how tough busy season is." We both kind of laughed over that since neither of them do tax returns or any accounting work. It's like "really, you don't say?"

Anyway, I'm probably going to fire that bookkeeper. I didn't mention it, but she has been nasty in a lot of ways and keeps trying to order me around and just, in general, is kind of mean to me and my boss. As my boss puts it, "it's like she thinks she's your boss." I know it sounds harsh, but I would have trouble putting up with someone acting like that in any job. In most jobs, if I knew she was sticking around, I might just seek other employment because I ain't putting up with it.

To be honest, we need to work on the culture. This office seems to have forgotten we're a division of a corporation and we're all expected to work together. This retiring accountant's staff really think they all work for him and he certainly has fostered that in a really negative way. He really made them think that his work was super difficult when, honestly, this is the easiest my work has ever been. And this includes my boss who was convinced his clients must have been secretly complex until I started working there and just, you know, doing the work competently and efficiently. The fact I answer the phone and take messages regardless of who they're for (because his staff won't take messages for the founder who is using the office) should not be something that "wows" my boss, it's basic expected behavior in an office.

I'm just glad my boss agrees. She's actually pretty drat pleased with how quickly I've been turning things around and how proactive I've been. Especially today when I asked to look at the office's Profit & Loss, saw we only started being profitable last year -- when my boss started using the office as a base and brought her revenue with it -- and we started hashing out ideas to fix it, while the previous accountant ignored it.

A big issue is just my boss is too laid back. Like her assistant put it, she doesn't like being mean. But you got to be mean sometimes. But not always. Like she was even saying today, "I don't want to be mean, but being too laid back is a problem: there has got to be a middle ground." And, there is and that's what I'm slowly implementing.

And I didn't even get into how we're worried that that new postcard tax bullshit that just came out and the retiring accountant's reluctance to introduce me to clients might lose us clients. Like, we're really trying to hash out the best plans to fix that.

Man, being a manager is a lot of work. Still worth the like 30,000 dollar raise from my previous job. Because, honestly, despite all this, I am mostly just sitting on my hand's at this office because this work is easy and there isn't nearly as much of it as the retiring accountant seems to believe there is.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 23, 2018

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Covok, I’ve followed your story through the years, so I’m glad that you’ve landed on your feet, but you really need to be more careful in this situation like this. I had a somewhat similar situation when I joined my current company to replace the retiring controller — they were inefficient (using green 13 column paper in some cases), they printed hard copies of stuff they didn’t need (in color at ten times the cost, no less), making major errors, and not dealing with a problem employee. But I also recognized that I was seen as the new punk kid with some fancy letters after my name so it was really important to tread carefully at first.

Part of being a successful manager is seeing the world through other peoples’ eyes. You need to see how you and your actions are perceived by others, especially during the first impressions stage.

You want the retiring accountant to cooperate for a successful transition of clients, but in the 3 weeks that you’ve been there you’ve already completely humiliated the guy. You’re the punk kid with the Big 4 on your resume coming in and saying how everything is done wrong — in short, you’re implying that he sucks. And maybe he does. But now instead of spending the last two months of his career ensuring that “his” clients are well taken care of after August, he has to reclaim his dignity. He’s got to stand up for his years of work. He’s got to stand up for the good bookkeeper who has always been loyal to him. All because some punk thinks he knows more than him.

It is possible that you have already completely screwed up any hope of a successful transition. For your sake, I hope not.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

quote:

Honestly, I think it might be intimidating some people.

You really need to learn how to deal with people. Especially non- CPAs who don't plan on jumping ship in 1-2 years like Big 4. Ease the transition, don't change everything instantly. You've been there 2 weeks and you've managed to turn everyone against you.

quote:

To be honest, we need to work on the culture. This office seems to have forgotten we're a division of a corporation and we're all expected to work together. This retiring accountant's staff really think they all work for him and he certainly has fostered that in a really negative way. He really made them think that his work was super difficult when, honestly, this is the easiest my work has ever been. And this includes my boss who was convinced his clients must have been secretly complex until I started working there and just, you know, doing the work competently and efficiently. The fact I answer the phone and take messages regardless of who they're for (because his staff won't take messages for the founder who is using the office) should not be something that "wows" my boss, it's basic expected behavior in an office.
Like this just reeks of new boss.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm glad I'm not the only one who read that and thought this guy must be insufferable to work with. Go back and re-read his posts before his new job gave him his two weeks of power and it'll paint an even clearer picture of why he had issues.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

Covok, I’ve followed your story through the years, so I’m glad that you’ve landed on your feet, but you really need to be more careful in this situation like this. I had a somewhat similar situation when I joined my current company to replace the retiring controller — they were inefficient (using green 13 column paper in some cases), they printed hard copies of stuff they didn’t need (in color at ten times the cost, no less), making major errors, and not dealing with a problem employee. But I also recognized that I was seen as the new punk kid with some fancy letters after my name so it was really important to tread carefully at first.

Part of being a successful manager is seeing the world through other peoples’ eyes. You need to see how you and your actions are perceived by others, especially during the first impressions stage.

You want the retiring accountant to cooperate for a successful transition of clients, but in the 3 weeks that you’ve been there you’ve already completely humiliated the guy. You’re the punk kid with the Big 4 on your resume coming in and saying how everything is done wrong — in short, you’re implying that he sucks. And maybe he does. But now instead of spending the last two months of his career ensuring that “his” clients are well taken care of after August, he has to reclaim his dignity. He’s got to stand up for his years of work. He’s got to stand up for the good bookkeeper who has always been loyal to him. All because some punk thinks he knows more than him.

It is possible that you have already completely screwed up any hope of a successful transition. For your sake, I hope not.

Not at all. Not at all. This is all what I've been thinking, not what I been doing.

This has been my actual timeline:
-1st week: come in, ask if anyone needs help, learn how things were done here, ask clear questions, listen, take notes. Mostly just did some tax returns and bookkeeping.
2nd week: come in, ask if anyone needs help, ask how things are done, sit dowm, takes notes. When I say I pushed for sales tax to be done more efficentily, I didn't say anything. I did it the more efficient way simply because I assumed it was thr best way: that the bookkeeper makes a draft. In other words, I made a draft for the retiring accountant to look over. Without me saying a word, he taught the other bookkeepers how to do it that way because he liked it.
3rd week: Same as 2nd until I got yelled at. Then, I was a little short with that bookkeeper. Up to that point, I was always listening and asking advice, but after that I started brushing her off.

I've never told him or anyone that they're slow. I only know I'm fast because "Sammi" commented on it of her own accord. "Wow, you got that done fast. You're moving faster than [insert 8 year old bookkeepers name]." I'vs never told anyone they're inefficient. I haven't said a word.

I print the papers, do the bookkeeping, etc. like the retiring accoutant wants. I used a spreadsheet because that is how I do things. I didn't say anything, I didn't comment, and he even said whatever workd best for you. His calculstor thing happened later, quietly in his office with hid doot closed and no one knows it happened. I didn't tell anyone or comment at the time or do anything douchey.

I never commented on culture. I only even know about it because everyone was amazed I took calls and messages for the founder because no one else did. I take messages for everyone because we don't have a receptionist on off-season and its how my previous job trained me.

The reality is this office has been operating at a subustantial net loss for over 12 years. Corporate is mad and, while nothing was said, I know the office will be shut down and everyone will be fired.

Harry posted:

You really need to learn how to deal with people. Especially non- CPAs who don't plan on jumping ship in 1-2 years like Big 4. Ease the transition, don't change everything instantly. You've been there 2 weeks and you've managed to turn everyone against you.

Like this just reeks of new boss.

I didn't turn the office against. That one employee pissed everyone off and they complained about her "thinking she is above everyone" even before she yelled at me. And the retiring accountant speaks highly of me. I know because I heard the boss and the retiring accountant talking and he spoke highly of my ability.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Audax posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who read that and thought this guy must be insufferable to work with. Go back and re-read his posts before his new job gave him his two weeks of power and it'll paint an even clearer picture of why he had issues.

I don't think I'm insufferable to work with. I don't like voice any these opinions. What I do is I mostly ask people what they need help with, talk to people about their days, ask them for help and advice when I'm not sure how to deal with the system with the way they want it done, and I take notes. I'm not like running around changing anything. Technically, I didn't really push to do anything. I did the sales tax the way I thought they'd want it done where I did everything up to the draft and let the account and look it over to make sure he thought it was good. But he doesn't even want you to go to that step, apparently.

But after did that, he independently taught the bookkeepers how to get to that step and told them to do it and things ran quicker. I didn't tell him to do that, I I wanted that to be the new way of doing it after he corrected me after I did it but then he ended up doing it that way anyway because he liked it. I didn't force him, I didn't even say anything.

When it came to the spreadsheets, I didn't do anything. I just did the work as I always did. I use Excel to automate some of the work. When he pulled that little stunt, it was in his office with the door closed and I didn't say anything and I didn't tell anyone and I have not commented on his abilities to anyone. I mentioned that I had some ideas to my boss but I was behind closed doors.

I am very careful. I don't want to be a jerk. And I didn't do anything until that person yelled at me. And to be clear I would have done that regardless of the circumstance. Even if I was an employee, I would have been pretty loving pissed at that guy because we would have been the same Rank and it makes no sense why the gently caress they yelled at me. I would still be saying they had no loving right. Because that's loving mean. And I'd be just as mad if she did it to one of the other employees and be having the same conversation.

I haven't commented on anything openly. Most of these things are notes that I've been taking down. Our workers shouldn't refuse to take notes and messages and calls for people in the office because they don't think they're in the same division. I did it because I just assumed that's how you should do it because that's how I've always done stuff in the office. If recognizing that's a problem and planning to do something about in the future is a bad thing, then why? I haven't said anything to anyone and if you getting mad at me for doing it then why?

I'm doing the work the way he wants it to right now. I'm playing by his rules. As I've told my boss I am not trying to step on anyone's toes. I'd started off acting as if I was not anyone. Mostly because I was unaware that by replacing the accountant, I was taking over the entire office at first. So I acted as just another employee as everyone else, I would have done that anyway, and I didn't change my behavior because I don't think I'm above people.

But I am mad at that person is treating me like poo poo when I did nothing to her. And the other employees, without me saying anything, say it is ridiculous how she acted to me. Because when I went to talk with one of the other employees about something completely unrelated, they brought it up and said that no work environment should be that hostile. They brought it up and they said that about her behavior.

So I think you guys are really misunderstanding it. I have a lot of plans but I haven't acted on any of them and I plan on doing them slowly and I haven't said anything. The only thing I've really done is somewhat unintentionally convinced accountant to be a little more efficient on sales tax and start treating the person who yelled at me a little more shortly, as I would have done anyway.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Yo Covok please stop telling management that our one day spreadsheets really only take an hour to prepare tia

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Covok posted:

So I think you guys are really misunderstanding it. I have a lot of plans but I haven't acted on any of them and I plan on doing them slowly and I haven't said anything. The only thing I've really done is somewhat unintentionally convinced accountant to be a little more efficient on sales tax and start treating the person who yelled at me a little more shortly, as I would have done anyway.

Yes, we all read the exact same post and happened to come to the same misunderstanding. It couldn’t possibly be you. No, it’s the children who are wrong.

Aside from the bookkeeper’s wacky shortened name thing, these issues clearly point to you.  You’ve been there three weeks and you already think you know better than everyone else. Isn’t it the least bit possible that your internal attitude is coming out to your new coworkers in manners you are not intending it to?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Yo Covok please stop telling management that our one day spreadsheets really only take an hour to prepare tia

Covok
May 27, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

Yes, we all read the exact same post and happened to come to the same misunderstanding. It couldn’t possibly be you. No, it’s the children who are wrong.

Aside from the bookkeeper’s wacky shortened name thing, these issues clearly point to you.  You’ve been there three weeks and you already think you know better than everyone else. Isn’t it the least bit possible that your internal attitude is coming out to your new coworkers in manners you are not intending it to?

It's very much possible. I'm not going to deny that that could be the case.

Good Citizen posted:

I am the manager of the office. I'm just aware how long stuff takes because I'm doing the work alongside my staff right now. Because the retiring accountant wants to keep doing his stuff.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think you should watch the movie Office Space, and focus on the scenes with the Bob's, you sound like the Bob's.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 25, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Good Citizen posted:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Covok posted:

Not at all. Not at all. This is all what I've been thinking, not what I been doing.

This has been my actual timeline:
<wall of text on mobile>
Thoughts often manifest in words and actions, even unintentionally. In short, this:

Missing Donut posted:

Isn’t it the least bit possible that your internal attitude is coming out to your new coworkers in manners you are not intending it to?
Is a good question to reflect on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Omg 4/4 exams, done!! I was mildly worried when I logged in to see REG/AUD last night. Took long enough. Though I really only got serious with studying last winter. Application time, and then job hunt! (Financial analyst now [tier 3 of 4 in the actg track at my corporation] my bosses have wanted me to finally get licensed so I can rank up again/next spring, we have few to no senior analysts who aren't CPA's.)

19 o'clock posted:

I’ve been an accountant for ten years. I finally have a job where I work for a CPA and having passed the exam for fun back in 09 means I’m applying for my license.

19 o'clock posted:

I thought exams expired after 7yrs, and you must live in an easy state. Oregon is a PITA to get licensed in. I'm about to start my competency essays..

Jack2142 posted:

I think you should watch the movie Office Space, and focus on the scenes with the Bob's, you sound like the Bob's.

The Bob's are awesome.

Good Citizen posted:

I broke the rule this month. I converted a report I developed into a macro and distributed the output 2 days earlier than normal, in part because the CIO moved up his reporting schedule this month. The business was overjoyed. I quickly realized my error.