Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Don't come in expecting Blaze to come rocketing in as the cavalry. If you don't mind spoilers since you're trying to figure out if you want to watch it: When Reyes gets his car flipped by gangsters and is dying, Johnny is shown from the knees down pulling up on his bike and getting off to offer him a piece of the Spirit of Vengeance. Robbie characterizes it for a Faustian bargain before that's revealed, but from the way he's dressed, it's very clearly Blaze.

AoS is really good and I can't believe in a thread for the lukewarm hit or miss mess of most Marvel Netflix people are dissing it. :rolleye:

Oh I forgot about that I just meant when Mack got taken over he went rampaging on his bike.

Everything about Agents of Shield is infinitely exciting even if they don't always land the punches. The way that ghost rider season and its second half flowed was just the craziest loving roller coaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm not a great person but at least I don't try to defend effing Agents of Shield

"no no it gets better after the first season"
"no no it gets better after the second season"
"no no it gets better after Ghost Rider shows up"

I did my time with AoS, no one should watch AoS because it's a trash fire on par with Iron Fist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Also Arrow is pretty good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't seen past the third season of Agents of SHIELD but I enjoyed entire episodes of it which makes it categorically better than Iron Fist

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Marvel’s Horse Rider

But they're a ghost, not a horse!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kater posted:

No it's not.

We need a Moon Knight Netflix show now. It's the only character I can think of that's still left and can work for that style. Or at least the coolest one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's only ever been one good Moon Knight story and it's just The Raid.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was still half heartedly defending Arrow and Flash even in the early part of this season but at this point they're irredeemable.

You can't even hate-watch them, it's more bore-watch, which is worse. Arrow is just meh and Flash is plain dumb; Elastic Man was the only thing keeping me going aside from Caitlin/Killer Frost who appears too infrequently to maintain interest.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My biggest problem with the flash is for a long while they felt like they needed everyone to be miserable all the time which... is not the right feel for a show about a guy who runs super fast. Legends of Tomorrow is the best CW comic book show just for running with the goofiness.

Serf
May 5, 2011

as soon as "turn, turn, turn" hits, agents of shield becomes good poo poo and just doesn't stop

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HIJK posted:

I'm not a great person but at least I don't try to defend effing Agents of Shield

I did my time with AoS, no one should watch AoS because it's a trash fire on par with Iron Fist

Nobody talked more poo poo about AoS than me and if the show can turn me around it has to be good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rhyno posted:

Nobody talked more poo poo about AoS than me and if the show can turn me around it has to be good.

no rhyno don't abandon me like this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That’s not true, you have mind bogglingly bad taste.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's only ever been one good Moon Knight story and it's just The Raid.

nah...the original run, first 20 issues or so, was pretty great. The trade I read a few years back with Finch art wasn't bad either. I think the character could work really well with teh Netflix "style".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That’s not true, you have mind bogglingly bad taste.

We already know he's posting in TV/IV

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

nah...the original run, first 20 issues or so, was pretty great. The trade I read a few years back with Finch art wasn't bad either. I think the character could work really well with teh Netflix "style".

Blade would also be perfect, and they can have him hunt Morbious, the living vampire if you need a named villain. With that said, Moon Knight would be awesome.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

Punisher doesn't deliver on superhero action implied by the Marvel label. Still a good show, but Daredevil is pretty much the only marvel tv show to actually bring heroes doing comic book poo poo to the small screen for better or for worse.

Uhhh yeah you need to get on that Agents of Shield train if heroes doing comic book poo poo is what you are after

Super spoilery:
https://i.imgur.com/dLonZzB.mp4

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2018

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
AoS is like the center circle of a Venn diagram where the outside circles are the goofiness of Legends of Tomorrow, the weirdness of Legion, and the strong cast of mostly non-white dudes of Black Lightning.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Lightning has other characteristics besides is black.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Well yeah, obviously, it's just the biggest thing it has in common with AoS.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

is lightning

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

It's good from the beginning. The trick is paying attention, even when it's boring for the first dozen or so episodes, because it's setting something up for later that will have a payoff. You won't know it if you weren't playing attention. The showrunners are very good at comic book show, things flow better when you don't have weird monthlong breaks.

Serf posted:

as soon as "turn, turn, turn" hits, agents of shield becomes good poo poo and just doesn't stop

"Turn, Turn, Turn" is when you know.

kater posted:

Is it?

Is it?

BiggerBoat posted:

We need a Moon Knight Netflix show now. It's the only character I can think of that's still left and can work for that style. Or at least the coolest one.

Agreed. The whole Konshu thing can be played as maaaaaybe something that's just in Marc's head... or is it?

Much easier to to convincingly than a dragon, that's for sure.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's good from the beginning. The trick is paying attention, even when it's boring for the first dozen or so episodes, because it's setting something up for later that will have a payoff.

"Just gotta wait 10 boring hours and then you get to the good stuff"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There’s no loving way the people making Marvel TV should be allowed around a mental illness series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

There’s no loving way the people making Marvel TV should be allowed around a mental illness series.

You mean aside from those two seasons of Jessica Jones?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the people who made season 2 of Jessica Jones shouldn't be allowed around TV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Legion is doing pretty drat good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LesterGroans posted:

Honestly that’s probably less wait than Fringe, and that’s one of my favorite shows of all time. Fringe is waaaay more consistent though, AOS lost me again during season 2.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Moon Knight would be tough to make work on his own, but add Blade, Morbius, Hellstrom, Jack Russell, and all those other street-level horror dudes and you have a great POV character for a Midnight Sons show.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Mostly being skipped over in exchange for a non-creator owned character so they don't have to pay royalties.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Proteus Jones posted:

This so much. Legion loving owns

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Arrow is so bizarre. I watched the first season mostly as background noise, the second was thoroughly amazing mostly on the strength of Deadpool, the next two were turgid craps, and then last season was pretty good. I assume they screwed up this current season somehow.

Similarly The Flash, where sometimes they have Mark Hamil pretending to be a cartoon or fight something called the Weather Wizard, but mostly they just cry a lot. I liked last season's Flash because they went to Gorilla City and came up with an even more preposterous reason to bring back the guy from Ed again, but then also surprise the bad guy is the most turbo emo bland bullshit you can possibly imagine.

Whatever, they suck and I'm sure everyone knows it. But I unno. They are like the perfect thing for when you get a fever or something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Moon Knight

Agreed. The whole Konshu thing can be played as maaaaaybe something that's just in Marc's head... or is it?

I like this idea a lot. I think the separate identities thing could be a really neat story telling vehicle too, playing up his schizophrenia. Throw in a few werewolf nightmares, PTSD flashbacks and a decent actor and i think it would work perfect for Netflix' style.

Bushman would be pretty cool villain too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

That's Fox TV technically.

Anyway Netflix isn't getting anything new with Disney streaming coming.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kater posted:

Similarly The Flash, where sometimes they have Mark Hamil pretending to be a cartoon or fight something called the Weather Wizard, but mostly they just cry a lot. I liked last season's Flash because they went to Gorilla City and came up with an even more preposterous reason to bring back the guy from Ed again, but then also surprise the bad guy is the most turbo emo bland bullshit you can possibly imagine.

Whatever, they suck and I'm sure everyone knows it. But I unno. They are like the perfect thing for when you get a fever or something.

God, I want to like Flash so much but the CW bullshit just overwhelms the glimmers of good stuff.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For what it's worth, Feige has expressed some level of interest in Moon Knight in interviews recently. So he might suddenly be out of Perlmutter's reach now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

LesterGroans posted:

Delayed gratification isn't for some people. Even when told there is a payoff, they just don't have the attention span anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

Outside of America, Disney stuff will still be on Netflix. You know, for licensing reasons.

(Seriously though you're right.)

Teek posted:

For what it's worth, Feige has expressed some level of interest in Moon Knight in interviews recently. So he might suddenly be out of Perlmutter's reach now.

As long as it's good I don't care where it is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Love or hate the Arrowverse, I think it perfectly captures the idea of "doing comic book stuff on the small screen." Telepathic gorillas, constant team ups, massive crossovers, multiverse adventures and doppelgangers, completely ridiculous conspiracies and twists, constant reincarnations.

I'm not saying its great or you should love it. Or that it isn't often trash and poorly written. But I'm not sure that doesn't make it MORE "comic book" to me. And I love it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Disney and Netflix have already both said that everything Disney-owned outside of the Marvel Netflix shows is getting yanked when Disney's service launches next year.