Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
oh, a new page...

Guilliman posted:

I think wiz said a big change like the tile system would be after both the diplomacy update and trade update. So thats two big updates away, likely a year +

Yeah, I can't find any official word any more while searching through the details available to see what was actually said but it sounds like any changes that are being discussed are a long way off and still very much under consideration. The segment where this is all talked about seems to have been removed so I can't see what was covered during the presentation but Wiz has mentioned he'll be going over it again in the future after the latest expansion comes out.

Apparently the early concept screen is deceptively simple and that the changes talked about would allow for a greater variety in planets and uses for POPs. If that's the case I'll be happy because really that is what I want at the end of the day; more to do and more customization to change things the way I want them. But what I also want is more visual feedback, not just more charts and tables. The ability to sit back and look at what I've built and just watch it run for a bit - let me look down from my ivory tower and see what the ants scurrying around below are doing.

In lieu of any actual details I'll just have to wait and see what comes along. At least Distant Stars is coming much sooner than expected, I just happen to be off the rest of the week and can dive into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Honestly kinda wish the new planet system were coming out before the other stuff.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is there any list of what systems they are planning to overhaul/replace?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If people are raging over fixing the tile system imagine how much they'll rage at whatever Wiz does to fix the army system.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The army system in Stellaris is, hands-down, its worst aspect, and even then it's a guarantee that someone will loving stan for it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I get not liking planet tiles. I don't get the mocking of those who do.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't get why my goddamn precursor system has to pop in someone else's borders. :argh:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The army system sucks but it also feels like the system that you could do last. After all, you'd probably want to nail down how planets are going to work and then figure out how to make ground combat work with that in an interesting manner.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The only problem is that everyone's solution for the army system is to remove it

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly kinda wish the new planet system were coming out before the other stuff.

There's probably not very many game systems as difficult and labour intensive to overhaul as tiles. I guess this takes time anyway, so that even if you put every Stellaris dev on overhauling tiles, it wouldn't be much faster than churning out different stuff in the meantime.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bholder posted:

The only problem is that everyone's solution for the army system is to remove it

If we had an army manager screen like the fleet manager, that would fix pretty much all my issues with it. Make a spaceport module that allows for army recruitment (like the +energy module, it has to be built in a populated system), move the planet-side buildings over to the spaceport, and done.

The army designer screen would be like the ship design screen, where you get different army types based upon what tech you have, and then you can slot in the various pop types and army attachments to your army template. You'd start with basic defense/assault armies, and then unlock droids, xenos, whatever.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wont, I didint had enough time to really like it, and now that I know its going away I wont get attached to it.

I do kinda feel I chose a bad time to start playing this game, when its on the verge of such radical changes

It has pretty much constantly been on the verge of radical changes. Wiz's idea of how the game should play seems to be different enough from the CK2 guy that one system or another is always being overhauled.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
To appease the warp-lovers, and yet maintain some of the strategic depth - could they implement warp drive like how the jump drive mechanic works now - except with a higher arrival malus to ship combat, as well as taking longer to arrive at one's destination?

Hyperlane-only civs would be able to quickly dispatch a fleet in time, so using it to bypass a stronhold would not be adviseable...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The other reason multiple drive types work in SotS is they have more variables to play with. Node travel is more restrictive, but has reduced fuel costs compared to warp. So there's places you can't get to easily with node travel that are easy to get to with warp, and places you can easily get to with node travel that would be too far to get to with warp. They're both geographically restricted in different ways.

The only existing limitation in Stellaris is time, and "slow as poo poo" is not a fun penalty. Warp having a fuel cost that can only be refueled at a friendly planet or starbase or in certain star types or nebulae or something something would give warp a limitation that's on par with hyperlanes as well as having a geography. But I'm not sure fuel tracking is something Stellaris folk are interested in.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 21, 2018

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Why track fuel? MOO 1-2 used a 'you can travel this far from your planets' range mechanic for warp, which worked perfectly fine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Torrannor posted:

There's probably not very many game systems as difficult and labour intensive to overhaul as tiles. I guess this takes time anyway, so that even if you put every Stellaris dev on overhauling tiles, it wouldn't be much faster than churning out different stuff in the meantime.

It does seem like the sooner you do something that huge the better. I mean I assume diplomacy and especially trade will have heavy impacts on planet surfaces with new buildings and such, and chunks of that will have to be torn out and redone too

I mean, I'm sure they've thought of this, it just surprises me a little.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bryter posted:

It has pretty much constantly been on the verge of radical changes. Wiz's idea of how the game should play seems to be different enough from the CK2 guy that one system or another is always being overhauled.

I mean, Stellaris is more so than most of the Paradox lineup, but Paradox games have always had an issue with constantly going "Oh man, I almost don't want to play the current version any more because the upcoming changes look sooooo good and I don't want to waste time with this older shittier version."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one issue with tying piracy to happiness is that it means if your happiness ever goes low then it'd going to make your empire explode into pirates, it's a compounding problem.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bholder posted:

Nah I think pretty much everyone would agree that just integrating it into the fleet manager so you can quickly refill your army template would solve most of the problems in the short term.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Alright I'm officially baffled by this name list I've been making. I've made a couple before and I can't see the difference in syntax and all between them and this. I've compared it to the stock namelists and some other mod ones and I can't see where I'm going wrong. But for some reason far beyond me, whilst the game is detecting the ship names and fleet names just fine, it doesn't detect anything at all for character names or planet/colony names. I've checked and triple-checked the syntax and the brackets and spacing and all that. Does anyone have any clue what I've done wrong? I'd ask if there's a length limit on name blocks or something but my ships section is far bigger than colony names and that's working fine so :shrug:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Guilliman posted:

speaking of: the idea for piracy that's been stuck in my head for months:

This is a cool idea; you should go post it on Reddit so Paradox will see it.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

VikingofRock posted:

This is a cool idea; you should go post it on Reddit so Paradox will see it.

I posted it everywhere except reddit, that way they can add it and pretend they came up with it all by themselves :>

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Guilliman posted:

The extra mineral cost for utopian abundance this early game is 4 minerals. 4. Also, I have not met any other empires and I expect in my perfect utopian society there are no poor. this system clearly needs to be worked out more.

speaking of: the idea for piracy that's been stuck in my head for months:
------------------------------------------------------

Stellaris Piracy 3.0

goal:
  • Make piracy more dynamic while simultaneously reducing the feeling of playing whack-a-mole with their fleets and stations by moving most piracy activity to unclaimed space. This will result in piracy generating empires (high risk) having a harder time exploring and constructing outposts.

Piracy risk
Causes
  • Base % based on ethics choices
  • Gestalt consciousness has 0% piracy risk and will never have pirates
  • Increased base % for empires that suppress the rights of their pops
  • Further increase base % for empires that specifically use slaves and castes
  • Decrease base % for empires that give extra rights to pops (like egalitarian)

I dunno. I think pirates should still hit hive minds, but only if they have a non-hivemind neighbor. Basically you have no piracy risk until you meat the non hivers., but only if you are one or two systems away proximity wise

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Sloober posted:

I dunno. I think pirates should still hit hive minds, but only if they have a non-hivemind neighbor. Basically you have no piracy risk until you meat the non hivers., but only if you are one or two systems away proximity wise
I think there could be potential upsides to pirates, chance to recruit admirals from their fleets, or encouraging them to raid your neighbours. Play as a pacifist empire that secretly funds a pirate splinter group to keep pressure on neighbours.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

Nah I think pretty much everyone would agree that just integrating it into the fleet manager so you can quickly refill your army template would solve most of the problems in the short term.
Yep. I like the idea of battle thralls, I do not like the idea of having to trawl through 50 planets to find what mines I stuck them in. Having a list of every species in your empire in one central army building location would solve my only big annoyance with armies at the moment.

illectro posted:

I think there could be potential upsides to pirates, chance to recruit admirals from their fleets, or encouraging them to raid your neighbours. Play as a pacifist empire that secretly funds a pirate splinter group to keep pressure on neighbours.
I get the feeling that pirates and marauders were supposed to be much more closely integrated but then that didn't happen.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 21, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pirates as just a part of society for some government types would be neat but I dunno if that's quite fitting with the design paradox tends to take, it'd probably have to be one of those non removable civics you pick.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

DatonKallandor posted:

This, and instead of having armies represented as separate units they simply attach to fleets or planets, magically teleporting to them after a few months. To prevent abuse just block moving armies around like that in systems with hostile starbases.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well paradox games are always sorta under construction, but this feels like they are almost remaking the game in the next patches.

So I guess Ill drop it by now and wait to play this new improved Stellaris instead

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I just want to be able to build worlds into enormous overpopulated megacities which are fed and supported by my other systems. If I'm allowed to do that then I'll be happy. When you have an entire planet to work with and future technology the population limit should be astronomical.

Limiting the number of mines and farms is fine but it has always felt wrong to have the nexus of your empire pretty much stop developing once you fill the tiles aside from the occasional upgrade. Megacities are a pretty standard trope.

Oh and the micro. I run multiple mods to automate upgrading and improve sector AI but the planet micro still gets pretty bad as the game progresses.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well paradox games are always sorta under construction, but this feels like they are almost remaking the game in the next patches.

So I guess Ill drop it by now and wait to play this new improved Stellaris instead

You should play a game because it’s fun not because it meets some definition of “finished”. It’s really not complicated.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Senor Dog posted:

You should play a game because it’s fun not because it meets some definition of “finished”. It’s really not complicated.

Is not that. I was just starting to learn the game for the first time, I was just getting used to it. But if its going to be a completely different game in a few months, than I rather wait and play and learn this new game it is going to be, rather than keep playing the one I know its dead.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is not that. I was just starting to learn the game for the first time, I was just getting used to it. But if its going to be a completely different game in a few months, than I rather wait and play and learn this new game it is going to be

Except they're overhauling major systems every few months anyway, and if you want to wait until the game doesn't stop being radically different every 4-6 months you probably are going to have to wait until they move onto Stellaris 2: Blorg Harder

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Ms Adequate posted:

Alright I'm officially baffled by this name list I've been making. I've made a couple before and I can't see the difference in syntax and all between them and this. I've compared it to the stock namelists and some other mod ones and I can't see where I'm going wrong. But for some reason far beyond me, whilst the game is detecting the ship names and fleet names just fine, it doesn't detect anything at all for character names or planet/colony names. I've checked and triple-checked the syntax and the brackets and spacing and all that. Does anyone have any clue what I've done wrong? I'd ask if there's a length limit on name blocks or something but my ships section is far bigger than colony names and that's working fine so :shrug:

Have you tried scrubbing non-alpha characters from the list? You may have one or two unusual names in those two lists that are causing a problem due to a | or ` or ^ or something.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is not that. I was just starting to learn the game for the first time, I was just getting used to it. But if its going to be a completely different game in a few months, than I rather wait and play and learn this new game it is going to be, rather than keep playing the one I know its dead.

Don't worry, planet tiles are not really a major system. They're also not hard to learn, you match what a building makes with what a tile has. Then sometimes you want to focus a planet on research or mining or whatever and you do that. Focusing planets and such will probably hold over to the new system too, so you don't need to worry about wasting time there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Elias_Maluco posted:

They are not changing things so much that Literally Everything You Know is worthless. If anything, learning the game now will make it easier to grasp the significance of later additions.

The planetary tile system being gutted is big but not THAT big.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
How the bel do I stand a chance against the contingency as a robot hive mind? And the war in heaven hasn’t even ended despite these new robofleets overpowering everyone else

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Picking this game back up again, did they ever actually fix the whole "range bonus modifiers don't work, at all" problem that's existed forever?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

How the bel do I stand a chance against the contingency as a robot hive mind? And the war in heaven hasn’t even ended despite these new robofleets overpowering everyone else

Did you do the signal special project? You are pretty hosed if you don't.

If you did then it should be fine. They seem to die easiest to direct hull damage weapons. Take the perk for bonuses vs crises if you need it and try to kill the hub(s) near you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Picking this game back up again, did they ever actually fix the whole "range bonus modifiers don't work, at all" problem that's existed forever?

a couple months ago yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017
Yo my dudes,

What are some good mods you recommend?