Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

Oh man, that's neat. I like that every part of it has curtain printing on it. Where did you buy it?

i would like to know also pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got it from here after someone linked the site in the CD general chat thread: http://cultshirts.info/2017/11/18/twin-peaks-the-return-2017-tv-series/

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This interview with Dean Hurley, who runs Lynch's sound studio and is his supervising sound editor, is the poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Today makes a year since The Return premiered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-sm9r0_q5o

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Jesus, I remember how excited I was that night because they made the first 4 episodes available on demand. I haven't been close to that level of excitement since. My life is boooooring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

Jesus, I remember how excited I was that night because they made the first 4 episodes available on demand. I haven't been close to that level of excitement since. My life is boooooring.
Same. It's highly unlikely I'll ever get that excited for a TV show again.

I saw Sigur Ros live for the 3rd time then immediately went home and watched 4 new episodes of Twin Peaks in a row. It was pretty much the greatest night of that year for me, or one of them at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can't believe its already been a year. That was one hell of a night of utter confusion and wonder.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was on the Appalachian Trail when it premiered. Had to download them on wifi and watch on my phone in my hammock. I had to turn FWWM off half way through because Bob hiding behind the desk was too freaky for the middle of the woods. Definitely adds to the atmosphere haha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alan_Shore posted:

I was on the Appalachian Trail when it premiered. Had to download them on wifi and watch on my phone in my hammock. I had to turn FWWM off half way through because Bob hiding behind the desk was too freaky for the middle of the woods. Definitely adds to the atmosphere haha
Jesus, you might've seen it in the creepiest place of all of us :stare: lmao

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I watched the episode with the puking child alone in a caravan in the middle of the woods at night.

I think I finally fell asleep around 6 AM.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I remember how amazingly awesome that was, It was a year ago today for me, as I started watching the next morning since I was working graveyard when it premiered as I recall.

So insanely creepy. I remember that it took me the entire week to watch all four episodes. I watched the first two episodes as a sort of... single 2-hour film that first morning, and the ending of that second episodes at The Roadhouse ending with The Chromatics playing Shadow and feeling like the perfect modern group and song for that exact moment, just pitch perfect. I remember just watching the end of that second episode and the whole experience of those first two episodes, the real new TP content I'd been waiting patiently for DECADES and never really expected or could hope for, given how capricious Lynch is.

I didn't really believe the show was coming back until I saw those episode, either. Hadn't really allowed myself to hope, and in a way my expectations were very low. So needless to say it was my ultimate :tviv: moment. I didn't watch episodes 3 and 4 until the sunday that next weekend! I had to rewatch those first two episodes at least once and go back to FWWM first!

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, after that first night I really thought I was about to watch the greatest series I had ever seen. Didn't quite work out that way, but it was still great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also had to watch 1&2 separately from 3&4 but in my case it was because I got too high and realised I was falling asleep a couple minutes into ep 3 (I’d been up all night waitin on these eps) so I slept and woke up and resmoked and then did 3-4

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I watched the first two episodes at breakfast the day after they aired, and I was pretty stoked. The really mindblowing part was this thread's enthusiasm for the show, though. I'll never be able to discuss Twin Peaks in such detail with anyone I know IRL, so it's been a real treat.

It's a bit surprising that a year has already passed, since I've been kind of spending a lot of time just getting into metatextual aspects of the season. There are still so many little references and influences to discover. Currently, I'm watching Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle and reading Hollywood Babylon. After that, there's complete French blu-ray release of Jacques Tati's movies waiting for me. The Return really changes drastically depending on your mood or the kinds of movies you've been watching.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I'm a bit apprehensive about starting a re-watch because my boyfriend gets weepy any time the Chromatics sing. He was going thru some emotional stuff this time last year and, hoo boy, Shadow was too much.

But we have Blu-rays, sooooo...

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm a bit apprehensive about starting a re-watch because my boyfriend gets weepy any time the Chromatics sing. He was going thru some emotional stuff this time last year and, hoo boy, Shadow was too much.

But we have Blu-rays, sooooo...

It's strange how differently that song affects people. My friends are currently watching season three with me for the first time (while I provide coffee, pie and character names if they don't remember*). When the Chromatics came up, they got really annoyed at the schmaltzy Indie band. It reminded me of that quote from the Guardian's episode guide:

Guardian posted:

On stage the Chromatics are playing a wistful, white indie ballad of the kind I hoped we’d heard the last of in 1993.
That guide slowly goes from vaguely hostile to enamoured over the course of the first eight episodes. It's amazing.

*They didn't recognise Bobby at all. I couldn't believe it. The camera even does a slow dramatic zoom in. At least they recognised Heidi because of her trademark laugh.

And More fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 21, 2018

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

And More posted:

That guide slowly goes from vaguely hostile to enamoured over the course of the first eight episodes. It's amazing.

I mean, a huge part of that is by episode 3 & 4 the guy covering it evidently hasn't seen or can't remember anything from Season 2 or Fire Walk With Me and is struggling to keep up even with the relatively explicit plot points and signals made within the episodes, then he gets replaced by episode 7.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Chromatics
I hadn't heard Shadows before, just two of their albums, so when that song came on I was still half thinking about what a trippy series opener that was, half disbelieving that it was 2017 and I'd just watched a new Twin Peaks episode, and it only slowly crept into my consciousness that this music style was very familiar. "Wait a loving second are those Chromatics, holy poo poo how cool can David Lynch still get" were my exact thoughts I believe.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That Chromatics song was just beyond perfect. Honestly, shoegaze/dreampop is my absolute favorite genre of music and I grew up treasuring my Cocteau Twins/Galaxie 500/etc... poo poo - it's in my blood. I'm gonna brag for a second about my uncle who is an incredibly cool person and has been an artist working all over the world for like 40 years now. In the late 70s/early 80s he was living in SoHo and made friends with this cool woman who lived downstairs, Kim Gordon - she took care of my uncle one winter, who has mental illness issues like everyone in my family basically. Anyway Dan, my uncle, eventually convinced her to perform as the vocalist in this "all girl punk rock band" he was putting together for a piece of performance art he was doing.... as I recall the band was called CKM and Kim Gordon was mostly nervous because she'd never sang before... Anyway this was also around the time she met Thurston Moore and formed Sonic Youth - another one of my fave bands that is more garage noiserock or art-rock more in the vein of the Velvet Underground's more experimental stuff, but they also do stuff like 'Teenage Riot' which is brilliant and more melodic and "shoegazeing", a direction they can easily go in when they want to.

Actually, my uncle (Dan Graham) always reminded me oddly of Lynch. Both are brilliantly intelligent artists, albeit who have achieved very different levels of success. In some ways, there are similarities to certain aspects of their work - they both deal heavily with perception and audience interaction with the work in different ways. They are also both white-haired and rather distinctive-looking with extremely idioyncratic ways of talking.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 21, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Return was also the most productive I’ve been with a hobby since being in education, what with rewatching and taking notes and recording/editing for PEAKED. I had so much loving fun doing that podcast. Wish I was able to feel that inspired for more things!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think, not matter your opinion on Twin Peaks and how it handled continuity or the finale or anything like that, we can all agree that watching it every week... there was nothing else like it. And there never will be.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I mean, a huge part of that is by episode 3 & 4 the guy covering it evidently hasn't seen or can't remember anything from Season 2 or Fire Walk With Me and is struggling to keep up even with the relatively explicit plot points and signals made within the episodes, then he gets replaced by episode 7.

Huh, I did wonder whether the writing style had changed. :monocle:

Still, I think he starts enjoying it more over the course of those episodes despite his confusion. It's probably how most people outside of this thread watched the Return, so it offers some valuable insight.

His write-up on the creepiness of Dougie's life for episode five is also pretty inspired. I don't think he's wrong when he calls it uncanny (in a Freudian sense). It's like that jolly old couple from Mulholland Drive, except everyone in Las Vegas.

Escobarbarian posted:

The Return was also the most productive I've been with a hobby since being in education, what with rewatching and taking notes and recording/editing for PEAKED. I had so much loving fun doing that podcast. Wish I was able to feel that inspired for more things!

You know, maybe you should do more podcasts. :v:

edit: I'm serious, btw. Do it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I bought the Blu-Ray set back in like loving December, mainly because a girl I was seeing on and off at the time who was into Twin Peaks said she wanted to rewatch season 3, but we ended up never doing that together and I've still never watched the Blu-Rays. You would think I would've been fiending to watch the special features on there and stuff, and I still do want to see them, but I never did for whatever reason.

I should really watch that whole set one of these days, just like I watched all of The Entire Mystery Blu-Ray set a year ago to prepare for the premiere of The Return.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hadn't heard Shadows before, just two of their albums, so when that song came on I was still half thinking about what a trippy series opener that was, half disbelieving that it was 2017 and I'd just watched a new Twin Peaks episode, and it only slowly crept into my consciousness that this music style was very familiar. "Wait a loving second are those Chromatics, holy poo poo how cool can David Lynch still get" were my exact thoughts I believe.
Until Twin Peaks, I'd never listened to Chromatics. Heard of them, but never listened to them. Then I checked them out further after hearing them in Twin Peaks and realized I'd been hearing one of their songs for years :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjQ2jGUNSck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMsjeq43_U

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 21, 2018

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The special features gave me a renewed appreciation for the series and David Lynch's involvement in it. It's clear that he had basically the entire thing, shot-for-shot, including the way the lines would be delivered, committed to memory from the start. Listening to him describe the scenes in detail before they were ever filmed as if he was describing them after having watched the finished product is very cool.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

No other TV show is ever going to match my experience of coming out of episode 1 with total faith in Lynch and having that faith rewarded several times over the course of seventeen more sublime hours. Put this poo poo in the library of congress.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Until Twin Peaks, I'd never listened to Chromatics. Heard of them, but never listened to them. Then I checked them out further after hearing them in Twin Peaks and realized I'd been hearing one of their songs for years :aaaaa:

lol me too, holy poo poo

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Chromatics and Sharon Van Etten still stick out to me as the strongest musical performances in the revival. I got suuuuuper into SVE after her episode.

nine inch nails sucks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

nine inch nails sucks
Umm, excuse me, The Nine Inch Nails suck :colbert:

(and no they don't)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has any good articles or interpretations of The Return been written since it ended?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

Has any good articles or interpretations of The Return been written since it ended?

Sure: http://post45.research.yale.edu/2017/08/the-slow-burn-twin-peaks/

It's a bit academic at times (as you'd expect), but it's all interesting.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 21, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alan_Shore posted:

I think, not matter your opinion on Twin Peaks and how it handled continuity or the finale or anything like that, we can all agree that watching it every week... there was nothing else like it. And there never will be.

It’s crazy how true this is for me. It was such an unreal experience. I’ve never had the same feeling watching anything.

I don’t really care how much of a fanboy I am being here. Lynch has influenced my approach to life and art in a way I don’t normally feel comfortable with in terms of idols/heroes. I’m fine with it though. I’ve gotten so much out of his presence that it would be dishonest to hide it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

when the hell are we getting the wally brando spin-off we deserve

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The best part of the beginning of the return is booper driving to the weird-face gang's house

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And More posted:

Sure: http://post45.research.yale.edu/2017/08/the-slow-burn-twin-peaks/

It's a bit academic at times (as you'd expect), but it's all interesting.
Awesome, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I YouTubed "Twin Peaks one year later" because I could swear there would be at least a few hour-long video essays or whatever, but I could only find 2 ~12 minute long videos and they both sucked. I guess they could've been good had they been presented differently, but the presentation turned me off at least.

I'm disappointed there isn't more out there :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I YouTubed "Twin Peaks one year later" because I could swear there would be at least a few hour-long video essays or whatever, but I could only find 2 ~12 minute long videos and they both sucked. I guess they could've been good had they been presented differently, but the presentation turned me off at least.

I'm disappointed there isn't more out there :smith:
I looked around at a few last night myself and this one was probably the best I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiJLAfqt7k

It's like, its alright, I like that they're even attempting to interpret the show. I generally agree with the broader ideas they're interpreting the series to contain. But even that being said, they don't go far enough with their own examples- like they have some neat things to say about the Audrey's Dance scene, but how do you talk about and totally ignore how the credits of that episode have the Audrey's Dance theme played in reverse?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, apparently Johnny Jewel of Chromatics wrote 20+ hours of music for The Return (that Lynch didn't use) and he surprise-released an album today with a bunch of cuts from that material called Themes For Television.

There's an alternate version of Shadow on there and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJ_Dxpi6kU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Alan_Shore posted:

For shame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Woah, apparently Johnny Jewel of Chromatics wrote 20+ hours of music for The Return (that Lynch didn't use) and he surprise-released an album today with a bunch of cuts from that material called Themes For Television.

There's an alternate version of Shadow on there and everything.

I was already a bit shocked by the large number of tracks on Windswept that were clearly intended for The Return. Did the guy produce way more than was requested or did Lynch actually decide against using it? Sounds like something Lynch would do, but it's also a bit messed up.

What happened to all the digital versions of their albums, btw. They used to be available on this website for a buck each, but I guess they were removed.

And More fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I think Lynch would make an exception for the circumstances. A cell phone screen in a black wooded night is 80 feet tall if you hold it right to your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Festival of Disruption was good