Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Basically, as AI solutions come into regular use, people forget that once they were unattainable ideas, bleeding-edge research tasks.

The classic is that once a computer is good at anything it stops being AI entirely and AI is just the current list of "whatever random things computers don't do well right now" that becomes "actually that was never AI" the second a thing becomes solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

Electric scooters are great. I mean I haven't used them but from an urbanist perspective, new convenient ways to get around that are not-cars are a great thing.

Yeah the issue isn't the electric scooters, the issue is the fact that the company lets you leave them in the crosswalk or business doorway and then the scooter threatens to call the cops if you move it. That and the roving band of charging serfs who sneak into buildings to grab scooters and charge them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Note that the charging serfs -- I read an article about them today, but forget where -- often use pickup trucks to hunt them down, driving all over the city following the dots on the map. Add this to the electric scooter's total carbon cost, and they're grossly overpolluting.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The classic is that once a computer is good at anything it stops being AI entirely and AI is just the current list of "whatever random things computers don't do well right now" that becomes "actually that was never AI" the second a thing becomes solved.

Playing top-level chess, for instance. Deep Blue was a research project.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Quote: STILL not edit, even though we've put AIs on it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah the issue isn't the electric scooters, the issue is the fact that the company lets you leave them in the crosswalk or business doorway and then the scooter threatens to call the cops if you move it. That and the roving band of charging serfs who sneak into buildings to grab scooters and charge them.
I read that one of the companies (I think it was the one founded by a founder of Boosted) makes you take a picture of the parked scooter to handle the parking issue. I mean I guess people could park correctly, take a picture and then move it somewhere worse but I don't think most people are that intentionally lovely.

Anyway if the other companies adopt that too + cities fine the company/users for poorly parked scooters that seems like it'd solve the issue. It's not some intractable problem.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Note that the charging serfs -- I read an article about them today, but forget where -- often use pickup trucks to hunt them down, driving all over the city following the dots on the map.
It sounds like a pretty great job for high schoolers to me. You basically just need a car and basic driving skills.

quote:

Add this to the electric scooter's total carbon cost, and they're grossly overpolluting.
Sounds like a stretch to me, since for each trip made to recharge a scooter corresponds to several electric scooter trips. And the energy cost for electric scooters has to be pretty low, it's like an electric car except much more efficient for moving a single person around.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 21, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

Sounds like a stretch to me, since for each trip made to recharge a scooter corresponds to several electric scooter trips. And the energy cost for electric scooters has to be pretty low, it's like an electric car except much more efficient for moving a single person around.

You're assuming they're not going to go the way of the bike share startups in China. Doesn't really recoup your embedded costs if you end up junking thousands of scooters once the law catches up to you or you run out of VC cash.

Apparently some goon was describing how they're often pretty easy to "liberate" and disable the gps + brake-lock. Which, if a bunch of these end up getting used by people for free and all it cost was VC cash, that's pretty win-win in my eyes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

Electric scooters are great. I mean I haven't used them but from an urbanist perspective, new convenient ways to get around that are not-cars are a great thing.

the problem is that like most startups, the negative externalities generated are dumped straight into the public's lap to deal with. things like, the litter generated by these scooters just lying all over the place, scooter users ignoring the TOS and riding without safety equipment or recklessly

imagine if to get an account registered to start renting electric scooters, you had to sign up for a mandatory one hour safety course and show proof of ownership of a helmet. what would that do to their bottom line?

yes, the problem could be easily solved, but we all know it won't be because tech companies circumvent local regulations at will while trying to convince the public that this is disruptive, and a good thing

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Found the electric scooter article.

quote:

Every afternoon around 4 p.m., when school lets out, Brandon, an 18-year-old high-school senior in Los Angeles who asked to be referred to only by his first name, goes “Bird hunting.” He heads for his minivan and, on the drive home, he’ll swing through convenient neighborhoods, picking up about 13 Bird electric scooters along the way, tossing them into the back of his car.

“I have a whole system,” he says. “I’ll go home, put the 13 I initially caught on the chargers. They’ll charge for about three hours until around 7 or 8 p.m.”—when Bird makes more scooters available for charger pickup. “Then I’ll go back out.”

Over the course of the next few hours, Brandon loops around his Santa Monica, California, neighborhood collecting as many scooters as possible. He brings back his bounty and, as his parents sleep, neatly sets them up to charge in batches overnight.
So this young dude is spending four hours in his car to pick up single digits (we don't know how many he gets in his second trip) of scooters. Not energy efficient.

Read the article; it's full of fascinating things about the subculture.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

.Sounds like a stretch to me, since for each trip made to recharge a scooter corresponds to several electric scooter trips. And the energy cost for electric scooters has to be pretty low, it's like an electric car except much more efficient for moving a single person around.

They're likely used more in place of walking and biking than driving though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Does anyone have the article where some scooter charger serf broke into another serf's place to take the scooters they had charging because the app messed up and didn't make them as already picked up?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It's also hilarious because they are showing the charging costs into the parents of these kids.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's also hilarious because they are showing the charging costs into the parents of these kids.

yeah, the cost to charge is low but it's another uber contractor model where you make money so long as you dont look too hard at the math involved with the costs you have to pay on your vehicle and personal resources (or just get mom and dad to underwrite your contractor work)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

You're assuming they're not going to go the way of the bike share startups in China. Doesn't really recoup your embedded costs if you end up junking thousands of scooters once the law catches up to you or you run out of VC cash.

Apparently some goon was describing how they're often pretty easy to "liberate" and disable the gps + brake-lock. Which, if a bunch of these end up getting used by people for free and all it cost was VC cash, that's pretty win-win in my eyes.

Yes most of them use commodity parts with minimal hardening against someone bothering to carry around standard server room/computer repair toolsets to open the things up and yank out the tracking/locking stuff.

Many of them don't even require you to swap in some sort of replacement thing to make it think it's got an unlock signal or whatever, you can effectively just snip a few wires and free scooter.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Yes most of them use commodity parts with minimal hardening against someone bothering to carry around standard server room/computer repair toolsets to open the things up and yank out the tracking/locking stuff.

Many of them don't even require you to swap in some sort of replacement thing to make it think it's got an unlock signal or whatever, you can effectively just snip a few wires and free scooter.

you can pretty much always steal scooters though. You don't even need tools to just steal some kid's regular scooter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

you can pretty much always steal scooters though. You don't even need tools to just steal some kid's regular scooter.

personal property can be locked up. the business model of dockless electric scooter rental requires a more gimmicky solution which is easier to defeat than sawing through a bike lock

thank you for your insight that you can steal objects from children OOCC it's always appreciated

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

how would we know it's like stealing candy from a baby unless someone tries?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reminds me of the Umbrella Rental business that went tits up when no one brought back the umbrellas

I think that was China

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

EugeneJ posted:

Reminds me of the Umbrella Rental business that went tits up when no one brought back the umbrellas

I think that was China

And the mountains of discarded rental bikes covering whole streets.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Technological progress creates jobs too. The call center jobs didn't exist 60 years ago but do now because of technological progress.

Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back...

Driving using only the rear-view mirror is dangerous. This stage of automation isn't like all the rest.

Think of it this way, what jobs CAN'T be replaced in the next decade or two?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Most of them?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Driving using only the rear-view mirror is dangerous. This stage of automation isn't like all the rest.

creative jobs at the least

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

Most jobs of today are already useless, why build a useless robot for them?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Consumer Reports hates the Model 3.

quote:

The Tesla’s stopping distance of 152 feet from 60 mph was far worse than any contemporary car we’ve tested and about 7 feet longer than the stopping distance of a Ford F-150 full-sized pickup.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

Programmers are safe for at least 40 years.

Every other tech professional is...less safe.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

HAHAHAHA

You have no idea what you are talking about. Support staff, developers, Security, etc will continue to be a non threatened space. The only "Tech Professional" who may lose out on a job are people that type for a living, and retail.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Son just graduated (last weekend) with CS degree.

Good thing there.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Son just graduated (last weekend) with CS degree.

Good thing there.

Especially since genetics aren't doing him any favors

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How are robots these days at brown-nosing convincingly? Middle management might still be safe!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Especially since genetics aren't doing him any favors

Yeah, he didn't get into an Ivy like his dad. But he is taller.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

creative jobs at the least

Depends what kind. RNNs are catching up fast to replace rotoscoping artists at stereo conversion studios. Korean animation houses that currently make in-betweens for the whole world may not be far behind. Orchestrators/score preppers on the musical side. Anything that has small fry creatives propping up big names. You bet your rear end freelance jobs will start to dry up once software starts delivering good enough photo collages, background music or webdesign.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ruffian Price posted:

You bet your rear end freelance jobs will start to dry up once software starts delivering good enough photo collages, background music or webdesign.

So those have been available for a good decade plus, why didn't the jobs vanish?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

That plus all their production problems means it's probably :rip: for Tesla right?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

axeil posted:

That plus all their production problems means it's probably :rip: for Tesla right?

quote:

The automaker noted that stopping-distance results are affected by variables such as road surface, weather conditions, tire temperature, brake conditioning, outside temperature, and past driving behavior that may have affected the brake system.

Tesla saying it's obviously your stupid tests that you've done a thousand times, you don't understand our Grace!

quote:

The Tesla spokeswoman says the company has the ability to update its vehicles over the air. “Unlike other vehicles, Tesla is uniquely positioned to address more corner cases over time through over-the-air software updates, and it continually does so to improve factors such as stopping distance,” she says.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 22, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

Tesla saying it's obviously your stupid tests that you've done a thousand times, you don't understand our Grace!

Blaming one of the top car reviewers for not knowing how to test cars right is obviously what they're going to do. Nothing ever is Tesla's fault it's all the evil [regulators/car reviewers/people who don't worship Musk]'s fault!

They also claimed an OTA update could fix it. :laffo:

Love to see an OTA update fix up the hosed up body paneling that results in the high wind noise or the interface that makes using your iPhone while driving seem like a good idea.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

as someone who knows nothing of car stopping test, i am assuming that test indicates an unsafe distance? were there any other cars on the road that had worse tests?

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah, he didn't get into an Ivy like his dad. But he is taller.

I'm willing to bet you know more dank internet memes than your son does. How does he feel about having a goon for a dad?

I think this is awesome

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
or is it a dad for a goon

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

as someone who knows nothing of car stopping test, i am assuming that test indicates an unsafe distance? were there any other cars on the road that had worse tests?

A Ford F-150 stops quicker. It weighs 5,000 pounds.

A Model 3 weighs 3,800. There is no reason a lightweight compact car should take longer to stop than a giant pickup truck.

Literally every car they've tested this year stops quicker and in the compact class it's 22 feet worse than the average. That's the difference between almost hitting another car's bumper and hitting them so fast their groceries ending up in your lap.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

axeil posted:

A Ford F-150 stops quicker. It weighs 5,000 pounds.

A Model 3 weighs 3,800. There is no reason a lightweight compact car should take longer to stop than a giant pickup truck.

Literally every car they've tested this year stops quicker and in the compact class it's 22 feet worse than the average. That's the difference between almost hitting another car's bumper and hitting them so fast their groceries ending up in your lap.

If they can ota a patch for the brakes they have more serious problems, mainly why they are not safe off the line as is. Then what loving bugs might be present to cause even worse issues they didnt catch, oh yeah whats the backup system incase the power fails in the car or other unseen circumstance like normal cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

If they can ota a patch for the brakes they have more serious problems, mainly why they are not safe off the line as is. Then what loving bugs might be present to cause even worse issues they didnt catch, oh yeah whats the backup system incase the power fails in the car or other unseen circumstance like normal cars

Or even better, if an OTA can fix the car's brakes that means an OTA can break the brakes.

There's a reason the auto industry functions the way it does when it comes to maintenance and safety. People had to die to get us here and Elon Musk's casual dismissal of safety and regulations pisses me off to no end. The fucker would sell a Tesla without seatbelts if he could get away with it.