Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Plavski posted:

they've said they will shuffle around start positions at some point. it doesn't all have to drop on the 31st but it's on their backlog

Yeah I'm aware, was just hoping it was part of the unrevealed content for the drop on the 31st. Still really happy with what we're getting then any way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ugh I still wish they'd just remake the ME map entirely instead of just jamming the entirety of the Old World onto a kinda smushed new world map.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It would be nicer to see the factions more evenly split across the continents. For the most part, each set of factions finishes business in their respective world then migrates over to the other world afterwards. Tomb Kings are the only real exception as they can start heading in to Greenskin territory from the get go.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, ME was a huge disappointment for me, I'd prefer a compressed map of the Old World to facilitate gameplay, or at the very least reduce the size of Norsca and the Badlands. Not literally plugging stuff at the sidelines of the TWW1 map.

KazigluBey posted:

Am a liiiittle bit worried we're not going to get any other start pos revamps beyond the dwarfs but remain hopeful; Empire is in dire need of some new start poses, Vamps could use one or two more. Orcs are mostly OK though I feel like Azag could be plopped somewhere that's not Badlandsbowl for some much needed diversity.

I love that they're adding more unique landmarks and hope we keep getting more, they're an excellent "soft" objective (check out Skeggi now being a pretty cool target for your Norsca campaigns as a result), let you plan out flavorful/useful province builds unique to their provinces, etc... Am curious to see if there are corrupted versions of the new Dawi landmarks for Orcs to pick up if they roll the Badlands, I feel like Orcs have very few landmarks of note and it's a shame.

The Tomb Kings patch saw some stuff added to Bretonnia's techs and all, this one did it for Dwarfs. Wouldn't be surprised if the next DLC has some updates for one of the other release factions as part of its patch.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It makes sense as well, you put out a big patch alongside some new paid content, if you add a rework or overhaul to something everyone has in the patch then it'll probably drag people back who would otherwise not have been interested enough, then they might buy some dlc.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ah, the CKII business model

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

just give me the old world and stick every start in there, I don't care how nonsensical. Just let me bash the toy fantasy men together in any combination

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I do wish they'd import the WH1 map to WH2. The improvements on the game are too myriad to go back to WH1 but that was an immensely enjoyable map, nearly perfect.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I do hope greenskin AI have been nerfed somewhat in campaign for the next patch, going to be disappointed with all this new stuff to try out and then still end up spending majority of the campaign fighting more or less the same armies.
Same goes for the AI VC to some degree, but Grimgor and friends was by far the biggest offenders when it came to overrunning a whole continent at like turn 50.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is the Waagh mechanic too powerful for AI on AI combat? Does the AI even use Lightning Strike?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Pretty sure I remember the AI using it against me before

Not particularly often

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Choyi posted:

I do hope greenskin AI have been nerfed somewhat in campaign for the next patch, going to be disappointed with all this new stuff to try out and then still end up spending majority of the campaign fighting more or less the same armies.
Same goes for the AI VC to some degree, but Grimgor and friends was by far the biggest offenders when it came to overrunning a whole continent at like turn 50.

Balance is incredibly hard, Im OK with one faction dominating the others as long as that faction is Fun to Fight

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

Also, Sartosa getting added to ME seems like a pretty big hint towards Dogs of War or Southern Realms DLC.

This might be hoping for too much but imagine if we got 2 factions with similar units but different mechanics. Southern Realms would play more traditionally, like Empire but with new units and maybe some mercenary recruitment shenanigans. Dogs of War would be a horde faction that could go around from place to place and help factions fight against others in exchange for money. Like, you could notice that Empire is fighting VC and march on over to Empire territory, hit a button to adopt Empire's diplomatic status and then get paid for each VC army you defeat, or settlement you capture in the name of the Empire. You could choose to occupy for a relations bonus with Empire, or loot to get extra cash but a relations malus with both factions. Maybe also get the opportunity to hire some Empire units if your relations are high enough. Then you could take your new steam tank and march on down to the Dwarves and help them against the Greenskins. Also we need Commander Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 21, 2018

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

quote:

Dwarfs have long held many grudges against the Elves of Ulthuan and you’ll have the opportunity to deliver a time of reckoning as Dwarfs can now sack the palace of the Phoenix King himself to extract payment.

And now to settle the greatest grudge.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Dramicus posted:

This might be hoping for too much but imagine if we got 2 factions with similar units but different mechanics. Southern Realms would play more traditionally, like Empire but with new units and maybe some mercenary recruitment shenanigans. Dogs of War would be a horde faction that could go around from place to place and help factions fight against others in exchange for money. Like, you could notice that Empire is fighting VC and march on over to Empire territory, hit a button to adopt Empire's diplomatic status and then get paid for each VC army you defeat, or settlement you capture in the name of the Empire. You could choose to occupy for a relations bonus with Empire, or loot to get extra cash but a relations malus with both factions. Maybe also get the opportunity to hire some Empire units if your relations are high enough. Then you could take your new steam tank and march on down to the Dwarves and help them against the Greenskins. Also we need Commander Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers.

Instead of entering in to NAPs and alliances, you get contracted for 10 turns, and during those turns you get bonuses for winning battles or sacking/razing settlements associated with the contract.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The funny thing is that the Dwarfs have already settled their grudge against the High Elves: the War of the Beard ended with the Dwarf High King killing the Phoenix King in a duel and taking the Phoenix Crown as payment. His death and the crown qualified as sufficient payment.

Or perhaps this is for the other ultimate grudge: that of elves...existing...

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Someone made a mod that resets legendary lord skills on confederation (by deleting them and their army and spawning a replacement copy [and army] at the same level).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1391653276

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did the Dwarfs ever discover that the Slann accidentally destroyed their ancient empire by moving some mountains around?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

lurksion posted:

Someone made a mod that resets legendary lord skills on confederation (by deleting them and their army and spawning a replacement copy [and army] at the same level).

A thousand angels sing out in heavenly chorus, descending to the earth in a halo of light to herald the arrival of The Mod We've Always Needed

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Did the Dwarfs ever discover that the Slann accidentally destroyed their ancient empire by moving some mountains around?

No, but they definitely would've destroyed themselves for that grudge because the war with the High Elves was the second nail in the coffin for the Dwarf empire.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

lurksion posted:

CA: "This is too complicated we can't do it."
Modders: "Hold my beer."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hoping Dogs of War are a horde faction, just wandering around hiring yourself out and getting into wars all over the world.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Having a gonas Tyrion, I like his skill tree having a “play nice” and “I AM THE AVATAR OF KHAINE” options.

Boy I can’t wait to get the sword, stack it on top of a yellow tree Tyrion and burn the rest of the world as my own empire crumbles under the weight of my madness.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

lurksion posted:

Finally!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Though it is a serious kludge it looks like that CA certainly wouldn't do.

Looking at the lua code (why don't more people do this), items/ancillaries aren't copied, and maybe army XP as well?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

lurksion posted:

Though it is a serious kludge it looks like that CA certainly wouldn't do.

Looking at the lua code (why don't more people do this), items/ancillaries aren't copied, and maybe army XP as well?

Items and Armies can be replaced. LL's can't. I'll take it!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blinks77 posted:

Items and Armies can be replaced. LL's can't. I'll take it!

I usually straight up delete AI armies after confederation and rebuild to my preference anyway. The lord is the real prize, so this mod is a godsend.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
All the horde faction ideas sound fun but it'll take so long to from place to place. :(

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
How hard is it to mod in a new horde faction? Is the biggest issue being incompatible with other startpos mods?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

All the horde faction ideas sound fun but it'll take so long to from place to place. :(

Dogs of War could get a special march stance to give them more speed at the expense of severe combat penalties, so as to encourage its use only for fast travel purposes. Also, you could be opportunistic and plan out a rout that takes you from major conflict zone to zone. Empire -> Dwarves -> Southern Realms -> Bretonnia -> Ulthuan -> Naggaroth for example.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

He did it while drinking. Clearly CA needs more beer. Less terrible managers/executives

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 22, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
If they do Dogs of War I reckon they'll be as RoR-style mercenaries that other factions can recruit, rather than as a full faction. Southern realms/new world colonies seems likely though.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If they do Dogs of War I reckon they'll be as RoR-style mercenaries that other factions can recruit, rather than as a full faction. Southern realms/new world colonies seems likely though.

So do other factions recruit em or just the player?

I could see them being merc armies you pay, like intervention armies in vortex (which blow and are useless)

Alternately make them a faction but you can't recruit standardized units, but a select pool of zany ror-style units

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I'd kind of hope for the opposite, where it's its own faction but can recruit certain select units from other factions as well. It should definitely be created and used to flesh out the Estalia/Tilea/Border Princes/New World stuff though.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’ve said it before but my ideal interaction for non-player Dogs on the campaign map would be making them Rogue armies that you can click on and assign a target like a WAAAGH army. They’ll give you a price (some now, the rest when the job’s done) and you send them on their way. They’d be more likely to follow through if you send an army along with with them. Meanwhile the AI should recruit Dogs too, but they’d offer to be bribed not to attack your city.

But yeah Dogs will totally have RoR, they’re the inspiration for the name!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ravenfood posted:

Ogre Kiinnggddooommmsss

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
If they do Dogs of War we'll at least get Ogre Maneaters, surely, right?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Dogs of war. You don't actually play the campaign but attach your self to some other army and just do random battles non stop.

But you have to maintain your cost and your troops based on winnings.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You start with all the cool Dogs of War RoRs, but cannot replenish losses and so are gradually forced to replace them with units from Pontus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Dogs of War campaign using the Battletech mercenary campaign mechanics.You're in Averheim and you can either take some money from the Mad Lord of Averland and fight a VC stack that's encroached into his territory, or alternatively take a contract from Vlad Von Carstein to attack the Averheim garrison.