Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thread is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Blue Train posted:

Thread is broken

Better root it to fix its inherent deficiencies.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I rooted my verizon Pixel 2 just so I could use adaway. Running Magisk and android pay works and passing safety net checks. Root is useful. Would you use a computer if you didn't have admin privileges? Nerds.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

r0ck0 posted:

I rooted my verizon Pixel 2 just so I could use adaway. Running Magisk and android pay works and passing safety net checks. Root is useful. Would you use a computer if you didn't have admin privileges? Nerds.

Just wait until someone calls you an entitled thief for blocking ads.

I always had problems getting Magisk to work. I mean it works but it's never simple for me. I always end up needing to use command prompts and stuff. I'm on the original Pixel. Do you just download the magisk apk and then install it from inside that and you're all done?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got one of the first Kindle Fire HDs, and it is slow as balls. Is rooting it an option these days just to get rid of overhead?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just wait until someone calls you an entitled thief for blocking ads.

I always had problems getting Magisk to work. I mean it works but it's never simple for me. I always end up needing to use command prompts and stuff. I'm on the original Pixel. Do you just download the magisk apk and then install it from inside that and you're all done?

**I have been unrooted for a few months so some of this may no longer be accurate**
While it looks like there's a new method that uses the magisk manager App to do some of the work it still looks like it requires some adb/fastboot command line stuff.

The simpler method still seems to be the original, download the magisk zip file and flash that with a custom recovery.

You can update to new versions of magisk easily once its setup with the magisk app. When I needed to update rooted Android I used FlashFire to flash the OTA and then the magisk zip without needing to do any command line stuff.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I block ads but I still pay for Youtube Red :v:

r0ck0 posted:

This is the guide I used (under #8):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/how-to/guide-pixel-xl-android-8-1oreo-unlock-t3715279

I booted into a TWRP image temporarily to install Magisk, worked fine.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Amazon, you worthless fucksticks, why is my Fire TV Stick powering up my TV all on it’s own?

poo poo lit up this morning as I was getting dressed, powered it back off. (I'm assuming it was some update, from the pimping of new features on the splash screen), but when I got home nine hours later, poo poo was on again, and I dunno for how long.

Well, one good thing, i found out the Stick remote's batteries were dead - been that long since I used it. :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

Amazon, you worthless fucksticks, why is my Fire TV Stick powering up my TV all on it’s own?

poo poo lit up this morning as I was getting dressed, powered it back off. (I'm assuming it was some update, from the pimping of new features on the splash screen), but when I got home nine hours later, poo poo was on again, and I dunno for how long.

Well, one good thing, i found out the Stick remote's batteries were dead - been that long since I used it. :v:

Is it because it's a rooted Android phone instead of an Amazon Fire TV stick?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I have a WileyFox Spark X which came with CyanogenOS. I made the mistake of rooting it and putting CynagenMod on it, which was the cool thing to do at the time, as it was better. Those guys closed shop shortly after. Now I am trying to go back to the original ROM, which I found here, hoping to use the updater that will put Android Nougat on it. Yes, it is a complicated story. Everything went well until I got these messages:

code:
Now send the packages you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Restarting adbd...
Installation aborted.
So it can't verify the package. First I checked the image with 7zip, which told me the archive was okay. Then I put it on a memory card and tried to apply it, but failed, then I sideloaded it from my PC but it failed with the same message. Now I'm going back to the abandoned CyanogenMod. Googling didn't help much. There does not seem to be a recent alternative (Lineage does not support this device). If there is anything you think could help, please let me know. Thank you.

e: Couldn't I simply update with the new Nougat ROM? Couldn't find this so far.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 19, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I have a WileyFox Spark X which came with CyanogenOS. I made the mistake of rooting it and putting CynagenMod on it, which was the cool thing to do at the time, as it was better. Those guys closed shop shortly after. Now I am trying to go back to the original ROM, which I found here, hoping to use the updater that will put Android Nougat on it. Yes, it is a complicated story. Everything went well until I got these messages:

code:
Now send the packages you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"...
Restarting adbd...
Installation aborted.
So it can't verify the package. First I checked the image with 7zip, which told me the archive was okay. Then I put it on a memory card and tried to apply it, but failed, then I sideloaded it from my PC but it failed with the same message. Now I'm going back to the abandoned CyanogenMod. Googling didn't help much. There does not seem to be a recent alternative (Lineage does not support this device). If there is anything you think could help, please let me know. Thank you.

Since it's been a day and you haven't been given an answer I'm going to take a stab at it but be aware I've been out of the ROM scene for a long time and even then I was doing it on Nexuses which are simple so take what I'm saying with skepticism.

Are you sure that's a stock ROM? Do you have another source for it? It would seem you need both a ROM and a recovery, are you pushing the right ones at the right time? On Nexus devices you'd get an archive which would contain the recovery.img and system.img and those are the files you'd sideload, not the zip itself. I think you're trying to flash the wrong thing.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

code:
Restarting adbd...
Installation aborted.

It might sound ridiculous but those errors happened to me a lot and the following always fixed it:

Try a fresh boot of your pc. Being low on ram can cause this

Try a different USB port and a different USB cable

Make sure you download the newest adb package for your pc

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

So I bought an unlocked Galaxy S5 with AT&T branding instead of T-mobile (the provider I actually have) and my reception is way worse than it was before (I got to find out the hard way that different providers use different frequency bands and all that bullshit). Is it worth rooting my phone for one of these "enable all frequency bands" hacks or am I better off just trying to deal with some random ebay seller's return policy?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The only difference I can find in band support is that the T-Mobile variant has LTE Band 8 enabled where the ATT version does not. Band 8 is only used in a few European countries and some of the southeast Asian islands. Based on the specs I can find there should be no network performance differences between those two models in the US.

They are almost certainly the same physical hardware, but the AT&T model also has a bootloader lock which may make it challenging/impossible to do any kind of hacking to the radio firmware and such. Keeping in mind that screwing up the radio is one of the few ways it's actually possible to hard brick a phone I'd be hesitant to even try those kinds of things, regardless of the potential benefit.

I'd switch to the T-Mobile model over the bootloader lock regardless.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd switch to a phone that isn't from 2014. I'm sure that thing is already missing a bunch of critical security patches.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Speaking of old-rear end phones, I have a Nexus 6 running 7.1.1. While waiting for the Pixel 3 to come out to replace it, does anyone have a recommendation for a good Oreo ROM, as close to stock as possible, to try on it? I'd like to get something with more recent security updates than last October.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

Speaking of old-rear end phones, I have a Nexus 6 running 7.1.1. While waiting for the Pixel 3 to come out to replace it, does anyone have a recommendation for a good Oreo ROM, as close to stock as possible, to try on it? I'd like to get something with more recent security updates than last October.

I stick with stock these days but put LineageOS on my old nexus 5x and I thought it was fantastic. Auto updates itself too, no need to keep flashing updates.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have a Samsung S5 from Verizon with unlockable bootloader that I want to use for penetration testing of applications with Frida (which is super useful testing it out on AVD https://www.frida.re/docs/android/) but it needs unrestricted root. I was able to get it to root through this guide (https://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/testers-required-easier-root-method-t3561529/post71202995#post71202995) but I found that SELinux is super hard to turn off through terminal. XDA in general is confusing but it looks like if I install any ROM without the stock kernel, it will prevent that SELinux junk.

I will probably take it to another ROM so I don't get bothered with OTA updates, but what is the best way to do this ?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EVIL Gibson posted:

I have a Samsung S5 from Verizon with unlockable bootloader that I want to use for penetration testing of applications with Frida (which is super useful testing it out on AVD https://www.frida.re/docs/android/) but it needs unrestricted root. I was able to get it to root through this guide (https://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/testers-required-easier-root-method-t3561529/post71202995#post71202995) but I found that SELinux is super hard to turn off through terminal. XDA in general is confusing but it looks like if I install any ROM without the stock kernel, it will prevent that SELinux junk.

I will probably take it to another ROM so I don't get bothered with OTA updates, but what is the best way to do this ?

Could you just use an app like this?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-selinux-switch-t3656502

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EVIL Gibson posted:

You can just root and use elementalx to replace the stock kernel

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
LastInLine & Uncle at Nintendo, thank you for your answers. I eventually bricked the thing by choosing the wrong ROM when installing TWRP or something (only shows logo now, not able to boot into anything). I can't even remember what exactly went wrong and frankly I am glad I'm getting rid of that thing. I won't try and fiddle with ROMs for a long time now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine & Uncle at Nintendo, thank you for your answers. I eventually bricked the thing by choosing the wrong ROM when installing TWRP or something (only shows logo now, not able to boot into anything). I can't even remember what exactly went wrong and frankly I am glad I'm getting rid of that thing. I won't try and fiddle with ROMs for a long time now.

That happens to me sometimes too. Just flash the stock full firmware available from the manufacturer. You just messed up your boot.img is all so if you want you can just flash just the boot.img file and you should be good. fastboot flash boot boot.img

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

You can just root and use elementalx to replace the stock kernel

you mention "elementalx" as if it was something everyone knows. Was there a post i missed because browsing through xda is (and will always be) a nightmare to figure out which threads are revalant and which are not.

Edit: does not look like elementalx has a version for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5

This looked like it was working until the phone flipped it back to enforcing after the permissive button was pressed. I used the zip install method.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 22, 2018

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If you have a Verizon Pixel or Pixel XL you can unlock the bootloader now using this method.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-xl/how-to/how-to-unlock-bootloader-verizon-pixel-t3796030

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Does anyone happen to have the old Cyanogen Mod Nook color image around? I recently acquired a couple that were retired by my family and I would like to try and make them a little more useful.

Thanks!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Apologies for the bump, but I have an Galaxy S6 and want to consider rooting it. Good idea or no?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iospace posted:

Apologies for the bump, but I have an Galaxy S6 and want to consider rooting it. Good idea or no?

To accomplish what?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
It depends on what you want to do whether it's a good idea. Also if it is the G920V Verizon variant it can't be rooted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LastInLine posted:

To accomplish what?

Get rid of Facebook and other bloat ware

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
It is doable and here is a thread concerning it, make sure that the video in the first post and the links in the second post are understandable before attempting to do so. In addition to removing the bloatware you can block ads easily, and more if desired

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/general/video-guide-how-to-root-install-twrp-t3673742

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Get rid of Facebook and other bloat ware
Be aware that removing these apps will not gain you any usable space because they are on the system partition which is a fixed size. In most cases you can just go into settings and disable these apps and that's equivalent to deleting them. This assumes Samsung didn't decide to remove the "Disable" button on anything, which is entirely possible because Samsung.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tunga posted:

Be aware that removing these apps will not gain you any usable space because they are on the system partition which is a fixed size. In most cases you can just go into settings and disable these apps and that's equivalent to deleting them. This assumes Samsung didn't decide to remove the "Disable" button on anything, which is entirely possible because Samsung.

Alright. I'll keep it stock then.

I did disable Samsung Pay after it kept on popping up with "GET POINTS AT <STORE>". Dude, stop tracking my poo poo, I haven't used you in years.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

kensei posted:

Does anyone happen to have the old Cyanogen Mod Nook color image around? I recently acquired a couple that were retired by my family and I would like to try and make them a little more useful.

Thanks!

I actually might. Leme see if I can dig them up.

Also do you want to be able to dual boot stock + CM or just swap completely over? The Stock OS still works for B&N books and content right? Just the appstore is useless now I think.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I stick with stock these days but put LineageOS on my old nexus 5x and I thought it was fantastic. Auto updates itself too, no need to keep flashing updates.

It's been a while, but thanks for this recommendation, it's been great and should tide me over til new phone season in the fall.

Only issue I've had is that it won't seem to roam off T-Mobile at all now. I assume that's an APN problem, but I've yet to figure it out and haven't had to roam in a while. Maybe one of the weeklies fixed it. :shrug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

It's been a while, but thanks for this recommendation, it's been great and should tide me over til new phone season in the fall.

Only issue I've had is that it won't seem to roam off T-Mobile at all now. I assume that's an APN problem, but I've yet to figure it out and haven't had to roam in a while. Maybe one of the weeklies fixed it. :shrug:

Apn settings for T Mobile:

Android APN settings

Open the Access Point Names or APNs menu.

In Settings, look under Wireless & Networksor tap the Connections tab.

Touch Mobile network. You may need to touch More settings, More..., or More networks first.

Touch Access Point Names.

Touch the T-Mobile APN if one is available. If not, press the Menu key and touch new APN.

Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN.

Name: T-Mobile

APN: Fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)

Proxy: <Not set>

Port: <Not set>

Username: <Not set>

Password: <Not set>

Server: <Not set>

MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

MMS proxy: <Not set>

MMS port: <Not set>

MMS protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 310

MNC: 260

Authentication Type: <Not set>

APN Type: default,supl,mms ORInternet+MMS

Default Android provides a text field to enter: default,supl,mms.

Samsung provides an Internet+MMSradio button to select.

APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs

Bearer: Unspecified

Press the Menu key.

Touch Save.

Delete any other APNs that appear in the list. The FOTA APN can remain if available.

Touch the APN that needs to be removed.

Press the Menu key.

Touch Delete APN.

Verify there is a circle next to the remaining APN.

Perform a soft reset. Hold down the power button until the device turns off and restarts.

Test the data connection and/or MMS by accessing the Web or sending a picture message.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Thanks! I'll give these settings a try, but it'll be a while before I'm roaming again. :cheers:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What's the best adblock these days?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
Adaway with root, dns66 without.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Do they block youtube ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Do they block youtube ads?