Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The 1JZ is a 2.5l inline 6 :) They sound pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

It's the 1UZ anyway

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Guys I hd the kids past 8 days out at the neighborhood bar happy after winning my first auction. The majesta is def the v8 sorry for mistyping. When it gets to port will post pics I’ll post auction screen if I figure out how. Kaker I told Matt you referred me

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Loanarn posted:

Now that I have a GTR as my weekend car I have started to fall out of love with my 350z Daily Driver. It no longer really offers the thrills it used to as its outclassed by the GTR and I only really drive during rush hour and the route I take to work is boring. The Z is a bit of a gas hog at ~21 mpg although the GTR seems to be worse but is hard to tell for sure since I haven't stopped to do the math on how much MPG it gets. I have ruled out the GTR as a potential daily driver as its too much of a gas hog, not right for the commute and will get hosed with if left alone in the neighborhood I work in.

I need a new daily driver. Something manual, Japanese, 30+ MPG on Regular, cheap, at least has AC as an option, and at least interesting in some way. This has led me to thinking about simple stuff I can get stateside like a Miata or CRX that would be simple to have serviced. The other part of me screams for more weird Japanese cars like the Beat, Cappuccino and AZ-1 as well as RHD Miata's or CRX's as they would have much lower mileage and a CRX with a straight body isn't easy to find in the USA. I could even get a CRX SiR.

Anyone here own any of those cars yet and can give me their impressions? Is there anything cars that I might be missing? I prefer hardtops so I might rule out the beat and stick to Miata's that have hard tops and all the others of course already have hard tops. There seem to be quite alot of Miata's with hard tops already installed on JCD.

You kinda sound like me in the sense of "don't wanna" when it comes to practicality. You might have mentioned how long your commute is but you could also do weird-but-practical like a Honda City (small Civic) or Today (smaller City) if you are wanting kei class. Tiny practical hatchbacks with standard engine-up-front build style and Hondas of that vintage usually manage to be sporty in spite of themselves and you can get them for CHEAP. If you do want one of the ABCs then I'd grab you by the shoulders and yell "my man have u tried autozam?" And just assume you'd get a ratty one to DD but I also don't know what they are actually like to live with yet, they might be terrible. The Cappo is probably the best fit if you are set on kei class sporty being traditionally laid out, no weirdness and hardtop. Not terribly expensive either.

Rhyno posted:

You should clear coat the inside of the filler door to preserve those stickers for eternity.

Some of them are close to falling off so I'll probably just take them off and put them in the keepsakes box.

I took the rear speaker things off the rear tailgate and found even more old lady touches.

Little red velvet pads so the bolt heads holding the speakers to the backing of the rear panel wouldn't scratch the metal panel underneath :3:
I took the speakers out and just kinda tossed the wire in the back, thinking the headunit was trash anyway.

Surf is now legal so naturally I want to drive it all the time forever. As we started on our first real drive we noticed some things. One, the AC seems to work just fine. Two, dang is it so freakin' nice compared to the Rugger or Land Cruiser just driving. Soft, comfortable and just smooooth. Makes sense though since the Hilux Surf was always a mall crawler in purpose. Drove it down to Venice from Sarasota (about a 30~ minute drive) down 41 (or Tamiami if you want all the locals around you to roll their eyes super hard and collapse into a 'UGH SNOWBIRDS' singularity). When we got to the restaurant I turned the ignition off but the truck kept running. Huh. The dashboard and everything went off, gauges too, save for the battery light coming on, but that 2.4 just kept idling like nothing. Flip the key back on, dash lit back up and the gauges sprung back to life. Huh x2.
Thought for a second, punched into the phone "toyota hilux turbo diesel won't shut off" into Google. First result was for some U.K. Hilux forums where someone with a second gen was having this issue. First replies were mostly inane derpy in broken english with no punctuation. Down the middle of the page was a reply "Nah all these previous replies are poo poo garbage for dumb assholes. Does it have a turbo timer? Turn that off". I look up from my phone, underneath the steering wheel.

With the ignition in the on position, I tap the "off" button, then turn the ignition off, truck shuts off like it's supposed to. Turns off and on totally normally and drives exactly like it did before. Rest of the day was perfect. Like really I don't even know what a turbo timer does so I suppose I should look into that.

After we got home I started messing with the stereo situation again. I managed to get a tape to stereo jack converter wedged in the tape deck while allowing it to fold up like normal. I figured that it might work and play stuff from my phone just fine because it's just looking for the connection and doesn't actually need to turn anything for the data to get through (and thus won't play things at 3/4 speed). Reconnected the speakers and just tossed them in the back seat. Turns out I was right and boy it sounds pretty good! Sure it's kinda goofy and looks bad with wire just all over but the speaker pod things have small sub-woofers in them, and looks like they are supposed to be mounted in a box with the grill speaker portion sticking out the top. I can deal with this for a while till I get annoyed and try to do it properly.

everdave posted:

I WON MY FIRST CAR. 1993 Toyota Crown Majesta with the 1jz. 7k km. I got it for $945. No inspection!

:hellyeah:

(removed the imagine since this poo poo was the wrong car!)

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 23, 2018

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

everdave posted:

I WON MY FIRST CAR. 1993 Toyota Crown Majesta with the 1jz. 7k km. I got it for $945. No inspection!

:sun: That's like a Lexus LS400? But with an I-6 and some Mazda 929 details or something? That's slick -- congrats!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

With the ignition in the on position, I tap the "off" button, then turn the ignition off, truck shuts off like it's supposed to. Turns off and on totally normally and drives exactly like it did before. Rest of the day was perfect. Like really I don't even know what a turbo timer does so I suppose I should look into that.

If you just shut off the engine with a hot turbo, the oil in it tends to coke up and clog the passages, shortening its life considerably. The turbo timer is there to keep the engine running at idle for a couple minutes to give the turbo a chance to cool down before shutting off.

My car has a separate pump that runs oil through the turbo for a couple minutes after shutting the engine off. There's often a faint whine from under the hood for a minute or so.

Edit: You can mitigate the need for a TT by just making sure you drive slowly (unboosted) for a couple minutes before shutting down.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 22, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Electric Pigeon posted:

:sun: That's like a Lexus LS400? But with an I-6 and some Mazda 929 details or something? That's slick -- congrats!

In some bizarro rabbit hole I have been down it seems the Majesta is it’s own separate platform that was japan super luxury only will know more once inspected at port

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

everdave posted:

In some bizarro rabbit hole I have been down it seems the Majesta is it’s own separate platform that was japan super luxury only will know more once inspected at port

That is insane and magnificent. Someone please reinflate Japanese asset markets.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Deteriorata posted:

If you just shut off the engine with a hot turbo, the oil in it tends to coke up and clog the passages, shortening its life considerably. The turbo timer is there to keep the engine running at idle for a couple minutes to give the turbo a chance to cool down before shutting off.

My car has a separate pump that runs oil through the turbo for a couple minutes after shutting the engine off. There's often a faint whine from under the hood for a minute or so.

Edit: You can mitigate the need for a TT by just making sure you drive slowly (unboosted) for a couple minutes before shutting down.

Well I'll be, thank you tons for this information and getting me less-ignorant. I'm totally down with using the TT, I'm in a hot area of the country and I want to at least attempt to meet the standards of the now mythical-to-me old lady previous owner.
Guessing that means the 1-5 buttons mean how many minutes it will keep running and the little box on the left is a countdown?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Guessing that means the 1-5 buttons mean how many minutes it will keep running and the little box on the left is a countdown?

Try pressing them and see what DEFCON level our national defenses change to.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Electric Pigeon posted:

That is insane and magnificent. Someone please reinflate Japanese asset markets.

The JCD guys can’t believe I won this for what it is if miles end up being real and the owner ticked the 4ws box may be very very nice no matter what this is a luxo cruiser for cheap

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Try pressing them and see what DEFCON level our national defenses change to.

lol if you don't think we are and always have been at DEFCON 1

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I just found this thread, read all 45 pages and now want to import a Honda Acty. Chicken Tax be damned.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

everdave posted:

The JCD guys can’t believe I won this for what it is if miles end up being real and the owner ticked the 4ws box may be very very nice no matter what this is a luxo cruiser for cheap

I'll give you a grand for it

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Well I'll be, thank you tons for this information and getting me less-ignorant. I'm totally down with using the TT, I'm in a hot area of the country and I want to at least attempt to meet the standards of the now mythical-to-me old lady previous owner.

It's probably for you to do a quick assessment of how much cool-down you need and select accordingly. If you've been flogging it pretty hard, give it a 5. If you've been putzing around you may be able to leave it off.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

everdave posted:

This was an oddball no one looking at. I don’t see how I can’t make my money back on a v8 Toyota with 4500 miles. If it has the right options who knows may even make some money.

Flipping not keeping?

KakerMix posted:

You kinda sound like me in the sense of "don't wanna" when it comes to practicality. You might have mentioned how long your commute is but you could also do weird-but-practical like a Honda City (small Civic) or Today (smaller City) if you are wanting kei class. Tiny practical hatchbacks with standard engine-up-front build style and Hondas of that vintage usually manage to be sporty in spite of themselves and you can get them for CHEAP. If you do want one of the ABCs then I'd grab you by the shoulders and yell "my nigga have u tried autozam?" And just assume you'd get a ratty one to DD but I also don't know what they are actually like to live with yet, they might be terrible. The Cappo is probably the best fit if you are set on kei class sporty being traditionally laid out, no weirdness and hardtop. Not terribly expensive either.

Commute is 20 miles. 20-ish minutes of highway driving and 8ish minutes in the city.

Oh man. I think I might need a Cappuccino. I normally hate :rice: but this is glorious.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 22, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I showed my wife the Hilux Surf and she said:

1. The kids would love that.
2. That is so cool.
3. Look at the mirrors!
4. You have to get me one of those.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Loanarn I’m gonna flip whatever I buy but if this is real I’ll probably take it on a road trip first

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

everdave posted:

Loanarn I’m gonna flip whatever I buy but if this is real I’ll probably take it on a road trip first

I think if I ever tried to flip cars I would just fall in love with all of them and start hoarding strange and cool cars and have mountains of debt like Tyler Hoover.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Deteriorata posted:

It's probably for you to do a quick assessment of how much cool-down you need and select accordingly. If you've been flogging it pretty hard, give it a 5. If you've been putzing around you may be able to leave it off.

I'll probably do more conservative estimates. Fuel is fuel, a turbo's life is forever, that's a saying, right? For today though it was cruising at around 55 mph for those 30 minutes while it was raining and about 75~80 F out.
Can't thank you enough though for this info, super helpful. I realize I could have just searched what a turbo timer is and put it all together but it's nice to hear it from someone directly and with experience.

Loanarn posted:

Flipping not keeping?

Commute is 20 miles. 20-ish minutes of highway driving and 8ish minutes in the city.

Oh man. I think I might need a Cappuccino. I normally hate :rice: but this is glorious.

If you have the money I'd look for a ratty AZ-1 on a dealer lot and roll the dice! Or buy that Cappo and watch as everyone kinda moves away from it because it's so angry.

angryrobots posted:

I showed my wife the Hilux Surf and she said:

1. The kids would love that.
2. That is so cool.
3. Look at the mirrors!
4. You have to get me one of those.

Hands off they are all mine :mad:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The majesta

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

The majesta

JU auction house? I think I got my Rugger from them and the graded it harshly which means it's in better condition that the sheet says.

That * to the right of the stated mileage on the sheet most assuredly means it doesn't have such low miles, or at least it isn't verified. If it has a grade C interior (or B I guess? One of those is for the interior the other is exterior and I don't know which is which) then you'd have to wonder how it could get to that level in only 6500 kms.

Still, hard to go wrong with a rust-free 1UZ Toyota.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm going to have a meltdown if you stole that for 900 dollars and there's nothing wrong with it

1000% pure jealousy not afraid to admit it

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Oh yes it is all up in the air but these are the deals I am looking for. Ertainly seems like a grandpa car just rolling the dice. Translation kept saying “fresh” car over and over so will see. Will h w inspection at port but come on $945

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I'm going to have a meltdown if you stole that for 900 dollars and there's nothing wrong with it

1000% pure jealousy not afraid to admit it

The sheet is saying something about the AC not working or having an issue, I recognize that one. Otherwise it's totally believable he scored it for under a thousand bucks. At worst, if it has 106 thousand kms on it it's due for a timing belt/water pump, generally the JDM interval for those on everything seems to be every 100k kms.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

That's basically no big deal, I'm preparing my meltdown. Powering up. Keep us updated so I can unleash the meltdown if needed

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Said ac wasweak whcih it seems to be a common issue I’ll repair at port if all works out guys I’m just gambling here but I’m hoping for best

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Hands off they are all mine :mad:

Have you ever seen any pop up with a 22R or other gas motor? Are the gas or diesel more desirable at auction?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

KakerMix posted:

If you have the money I'd look for a ratty AZ-1 on a dealer lot and roll the dice! Or buy that Cappo and watch as everyone kinda moves away from it because it's so angry.

Money? What's that? I just bought a GTR less than a month ago and keep pumping more and more money into it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Have you ever seen any pop up with a 22R or other gas motor? Are the gas or diesel more desirable at auction?

If you are going to buy something from japan you better get diesel unless it is super special for a hilux

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

For 945 you basically can't go wrong imo, cool car we never got even if it is an automatic, 100k+ km is what 60-65k miles?

E: oh poo poo I forgot it might be 4ws too hnnnnnng

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes 60 or so I won’t know til port but guys I’m thinking this is really the little old lady car. I put another deposit down I’m inspecting a skyline tomorrow

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 22, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

angryrobots posted:

I've seen maybe 5 or so first-gens worth anything since I've started importing stuff. Admittedly I was super green at the beginning and didn't know what the gently caress, didn't have a process down and didn't have any money so I more than likely missed some. The one I got was the best one and easily the oldest I've seen although there was another one that was an 87? I think? That had the same paint color and stripe color but in a different arrangement, like this one:

but it was seemingly completely stock. It's issue was the rear window was stuck in the down position and it had a plastic bag hanging off the rear end. I remember it was a 5 speed manual, diesel, and was a grade 3.5, I think. A couple of those were gasoline 22Rs yeah. Most seem to be diesel. I wanted to bid on that one but I didn't have the funds so didn't bother.

Not just with Hiluxes but with anything rugged the prices go like this, from most expensive on down:

Diesel with manual
Diesel with automatic
gasoline with manual
gasoline automatic

But there are also exceptions based on condition, auction house, options (especially with Land Cruisers and those front and rear locking diffs) and most importantly mileage. Lower mileage is the biggest driver of cost I see buuuuut the auctions are finiky and odd and a lot of the time it feels like I'm the dude in Willow tossing bones on the ground and basing my bid amount off that.

If you are shopping for yourself then buy what you want, I like diesels because I like to smug at other people that don't have one because I'm kind of an rear end like that. If you just want a nice condition Surf and that's it then you can score a very nice third gen one for cheap.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What did you pay for that Surf I just don’t remember but whatever you did was insane.
You will make all the moneys when you sell that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

What did you pay for that Surf I just don’t remember but whatever you did was insane.
You will make all the moneys when you sell that.

IF I sell it (lol). I honestly expect to get offers when I just drive it around. I scored it for just over 6 grand I think, maybe just under 7, something goofy like that.

I found an old brochure that has my Surf in the pictures but with a front winch and bullbar thing.
http://www.en.japanclassic.ru/booklets/118-toyota-hilux-surf-1985-n60.html

EDIT

Oh dang this whole time I thought the white 'turbo' decal on the rear tailgate was originally red but faded. But nope, it's always been white. Neat!

EDIT 2
Dang the original owner did get every option according to

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 22, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You didn’t get it to USA for 7 did you, that is a 15k+ truck

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

If you are going to buy something from japan you better get diesel unless it is super special for a hilux

It's not super special... It's super common and you can get parts at NAPA. :v:

No, I get the diesel thing for resale but I really like this first gen Surf for myself, and a 22R means I'm familiar with it and most parts will be off-the-shelf in the USA. Anyway I'm done, I have to walk away before I look too hard and bid on something.... I've got a stupid house to finish and sell first. Thanks for the info, Kaker.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I was talking resale in USA I am very aware of access to Toyota parts

EDIT: this sounds salty the next day i was just typing on the phone. I AGREE if I was keeping my own Surf id rather have the 22R since I know how to work on them. Have never touched a diesel anything besides changing some glow plugs on an old ford.

everdave fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 22, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

angryrobots posted:

It's not super special... It's super common and you can get parts at NAPA. :v:

No, I get the diesel thing for resale but I really like this first gen Surf for myself, and a 22R means I'm familiar with it and most parts will be off-the-shelf in the USA. Anyway I'm done, I have to walk away before I look too hard and bid on something.... I've got a stupid house to finish and sell first. Thanks for the info, Kaker.

For the money to land one, you might as well get a US one from a rust-free state. There's plenty of ~$5000 good condition stick 4Runners in this podunk county, I imagine you could find something better in a more populous part of California.

Japan also never, ever, ever wanted to get rid of carburetors, I've seen carbureted JDM cars that the US got EFI only years before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Loanarn posted:

Money? What's that? I just bought a GTR less than a month ago and keep pumping more and more money into it.

I think you would probably have a much more comfortable ride in one of the non kei spec kei vans (Subaru Domingo/etc) they get a slightly bigger engine, more amenities, and better safety.

Also u might want to take a look at the Civic Sir ferio. The Honda tax is nearly non existent and that was the best of the best, my buddy and I were going to bid on a 4 and it only went for like 4k.