Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mother. Fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Alcon's planning on shopping it around, though. Let's not pretend that Syfy was any good for this show with all their region locking and such.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
For the silver lining: Frank and Abraham just announced a new book trilogy after Expanse wraps up. They specifically mentioned doing more high-concept stuff like Dune or Hyperion.
:woop:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

I mean, the show is alright, but the books are not going away and are better.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean, the show is alright, but the books are not going away and are better.

Is the show actually worth watching if you've read the books? I noticed the first two seasons are on Prime streaming and thought I might watch it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nessin posted:

Is the show actually worth watching if you've read the books? I noticed the first two seasons are on Prime streaming and thought I might watch it.

I think so, yeah. It's pretty well-made, the acting is good, and it's fun to watch the world and characters come to life, they mostly did an excellent job with the casting (Holden I can take or leave but the rest of the Roci's crew is spot-on).

iirc it diverges enough from the books that you're not going to be completely bored by the story line, but the broad strokes are pretty consistent.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

nessin posted:

Yes. The authors write for the show and sort of consider the show a do-over. Some characters are introduced earlier (e.g. Avasarala is in the pilot), and entire episodes are made of things that never happened in the book.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

nessin posted:

Yeah, they screw up some of the physics in the VFX, but it's a great adaptation and I have enjoyed the changes they've made. They also do a great job of incorporating all of the character development.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If nothing else(and there's plenty of else!) you should watch the show to see Amos and Avasarala on screen. The casting for both is absolutely perfect.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, they screw up some of the physics in the VFX, but it's a great adaptation and I have enjoyed the changes they've made. They also do a great job of incorporating all of the character development.

Yeah, but they also get a lot of little details that hardly anyone would notice absolutely right, so I give them a pass for actually putting in some proper effort. The little glowy floaties in the air after the Roci gets peppered with PDC fire moving correctly IN THE BACKGROUND AND OUT OF FOCUS as the ship maneuvers sold me for life.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
The show has excellently executed cinematography, set design, sound work, the whole nine yards. Sure, it's not perfect, and it is a TV show, but it's super enjoyable especially if you liked the books at all. And as mentioned enough minor changes and additions crop up that it still feels fresh. Absolutely worth buying the seasons that are available, even if it never gets picked up again.

If you binge hard enough you can catch the rest of season 3 live too!

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Production values for the show are tremendous and acting is about what I'd expect; but the way they translated Caliban's War as a book feels really choppy timeframe-wise. Like, okay theyve been in the Jovian system for almost 2 whole seasons. How much in-universe time has elapsed? How long does it take to get to drat Io? The books themselves seem to have the same issue where timeframes are not necessarily clear (or "accurate", i.e. traveling about the system at even a half-G would be a lot quicker than is represented).

Jules-Pierre Mao's actions feel choppy and a little hard to grasp as well. "We're killing CHILDREN!" Like uh yeah dude didn't you already cross that Rubicon awhile ago when you let your daughter die? I get that he changes his mind again because it may lead to figuring out Venus but it just seemed like a lot of filler to let us know Mao has a hard time of it.

The Nauvoo recovery was neato. Really curious to see how the ring gate formation shakes out on the show. Presumably we will be seeing Aquaboy (Hispanic kid that is Miller's bud) again, perhaps he even finally got laid.

Enjoyed the latest episode despite the awkward loud Katoa sequence(s) and
Admiral Souther nooooo 😟. Souther was/is one of my favorites and was/is a wonderful foil to both Avasarala and Nguyen.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Medlar posted:

(or "accurate", i.e. traveling about the system at even a half-G would be a lot quicker than is represented).

A little over a week at that speed you would be traveling in excess of 75% the speed of light.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ZombieLenin posted:

A little over a week at that speed you would be traveling in excess of 75% the speed of light.

A week at 5 m/s/s only gets you to 1% of c.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%285m%2Fs%2Fs+*+1+week%29%2Fc

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Yeah, you are right I was doing math in my head making bad assumptions. It would take roughly 700 days—still you’d be zipping around places in-system much faster than occurs in the novels.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like the show, more avasarala is a good thing. I think my biggest problem was that in the show the casting for the OPA is really white, but when I was reading the books it seemed like belters were mainly asian/latino. Its been a while since I read the first couple books though so I don't know.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Book-Belters are mostly varying degrees of ethnically ambiguous. White Belters are pretty uncommon.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Watching the show I had completely forgotten how incredibly idiotic and aggressively naive Holden was. Which made me go back to the books because it was surprising, and somehow the TV show actually improved him because at least he's not also a privileged elitist at the same time. Everything else is pretty good, but it's also reaffirming my reasoning for not continuing to read the books.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I like the show, more avasarala is a good thing. I think my biggest problem was that in the show the casting for the OPA is really white, but when I was reading the books it seemed like belters were mainly asian/latino. Its been a while since I read the first couple books though so I don't know.

Yeah. Kinda seemed like they were trying to evoke the IRA more than anything which didn’t really fit.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

bloom posted:

If nothing else(and there's plenty of else!) you should watch the show to see Amos and Avasarala on screen. The casting for both is absolutely perfect.

Jared Harris is amazing in this and whatever that accent is that he invented is really great

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Schlieren posted:

Jared Harris is amazing in this and whatever that accent is that he invented is really great

Not to completely derail, but he is also phenomenal in The Terror on AMC...

nessin posted:

Watching the show I had completely forgotten how incredibly idiotic and aggressively naive Holden was. Which made me go back to the books because it was surprising, and somehow the TV show actually improved him because at least he's not also a privileged elitist at the same time. Everything else is pretty good, but it's also reaffirming my reasoning for not continuing to read the books.

Abraham and Frank said they wanted to use to show to change some things they didn't like, it's telling that Holden is still a tool...

Literally every other character becomes more rounded or sympathetic, and to be fair Holden is softened from the books, but he's definitely intentionally a flawed, kind of douchey, self-righteous white guy.

People keep saying they mis-cast Strait, but I think he's perfectly fit and delivers the role just right. Don Quixote isn't supposed to be completely likable, right?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
I am offended anyone is giving Dan Simmons money.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Sometime around book 4 I realized that this series was some seriously bullshit bland-as-gently caress writing filled with deus-ex solutions to plot hole problems and characters written thinner than a goddamn cereal box. Now I'm on book five and things are decidedly not improving.

I will finish it and book 6, but goddamn this has largely been a waste of four days. And here I thought Dune was the poster child for writing going to poo poo after the second novel.

My long standing belief that any series embraced by mainstream culture (Asoiaf, Kingkiller, Harry Potter) is probably thinly written pap has once again proved correct. Should have just read the new Revelation Space instead.

Bob Ross Nuke Test fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 22, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Give up on series and embrace standalonees.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Or just drop a series when you're no longer enjoying it?

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Sometime around book 4 I realized that this series was some seriously bullshit bland-as-gently caress writing filled with deus-ex solutions to plot hole problems and characters written thinner than a goddamn cereal box. Now I'm on book five and things are decidedly not improving.

I will finish it and book 6, but goddamn this has largely been a waste of four days. And here I thought Dune was the poster child for writing going to poo poo after the second novel.

My long standing belief that any series embraced by mainstream culture (Asoiaf, Kingkiller, Harry Potter) is probably thinly written pap has once again proved correct. Should have just read the new Revelation Space instead.

sir i only asked you if you wanted fries with your order

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm starting into Abandons Gate and I'm a little confused as to why Anna thinks keeping nami on Europa will turn her into a Belter. That sort of genetic change can really only happen over generations. Anna and Nono are both earthers, so unless nami's sperm donor was a Belter there's little chance of her growing up into a long boned belter herself, especially considering she still got the bone density treatments like all newborns. The most likely scenario is that if nami stayed in space she would be somewhat lanky but still an earthers build and without resistance training and prolonged exposure to gravity, she'd have a bit more difficult time adapting to one g.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Belter physiology isn't the result of genetic changes, it's from growing up in microgravity.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm starting into Abandons Gate and I'm a little confused as to why Anna thinks keeping nami on Europa will turn her into a Belter. That sort of genetic change can really only happen over generations. Anna and Nono are both earthers, so unless nami's sperm donor was a Belter there's little chance of her growing up into a long boned belter herself, especially considering she still got the bone density treatments like all newborns. The most likely scenario is that if nami stayed in space she would be somewhat lanky but still an earthers build and without resistance training and prolonged exposure to gravity, she'd have a bit more difficult time adapting to one g.

It's not the genes, it's the effect of gravity on a growing body.

Belters aren't belters because they've been out in space so long they've evolved into a definite human subtype. They're belters because they didn't grow up in constant 1g and so their bodies grew differently.

As an example, they have knee problems under full gravity because their knees didn't develop to bear that kind of weight. Imagine the effect on your knees right now if you suddenly weighed five times what you do now. That's what it's like for a Belter going from 0.2g to 1g.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 23, 2018

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Does anyone else feel like holden and naomi are the least fun characters in the tv show? Amos and Alex are entertaining. Avasarala is great, bobby draper is excellent, the spy guy is good, mao is a creep, prax is fun to watch as a fish out of water... even that jerk errenwright and the dingus president of earth had some stuff going on. Holden and Naomi are such a contrast. The characters are so burdened with driving the plot that they just kinda grate.

I don't mind that they get screen time, its just id rather watch anyone else. Miller, johnson, dawes, johnson's assistant, agua kid, even souther and nguyen.

When naomi was like "by the way i had a boyfriend and a kid and theyre gonna be the focus of some future season if we have one" urgh...

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 24, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Vim Fuego posted:

Does anyone else feel like holden and naomi are the least fun characters in the tv show? Amos and Alex are entertaining. Avasarala is great, bobby draper is excellent, the spy guy is good, mao is a creep, prax is fun to watch as a fish out of water... even that jerk errenwright and the dingus president of earth had some stuff going on. Holden and Naomi are such a contrast. The characters are so burdened with driving the plot that they just kinda grate.

I don't mind that they get screen time, its just id rather watch anyone else. Miller, johnson, dawes, johnson's assistant, agua kid, even souther and nguyen.

When naomi was like "by the way i had a boyfriend and a kid and theyre gonna be the focus of some future season if we have one" urgh...

Holden I get, but I like show-Naomi...bringing in her backstory a lot earlier makes more sense and helps to flesh out her character a lot more. Similarly with Amos I am loving how they are dropping breadcrumbs about his past early on.

Holden I can palate, because he's just supposed to just be Good White Guy and not really have a personality beyond tilting at windmills.

Alex is the show character I find myself groaning every time he comes on screen: for some reason he comes off as much more bumbling on the show. Where in the books I got the sense that he was a guy who had hosed up his life and was trying to come to terms with it, on the show he is actively loving it up now and that is much more off-putting to me. His ra-ra patriotism for Mars does not jive with his life choices and this creates a cognitive dissonance I cannot resolve without making him an unlikable, wishy-washy, Charlie Brown character in my head. The show is moving at such a clip now and every time we have to stop for 3 minutes to watch Alex make a sad video message is getting old to me.
:shrug:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hey folks, I suddenly remembered that "Oh gently caress! I'm actually the OP of this thread I should probably say something in it!".

I've been getting pretty cold on the series tbh, a shitload of the stuff in the later books has been leaving me very emotionally unsatisfied. Persepolis Rising was especially egregious with this, I didn't like the direction it took at all and it's not getting my hopes up much for the last two books. (For reference, my favourite is BY FAR Caliban's War.) I'll still get them because I want to see how everything ends and even though I'm very lukewarm on half of the books as a whole like gently caress am I going to miss out on more Avasarala time.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Captain Fargle posted:

Hey folks, I suddenly remembered that "Oh gently caress! I'm actually the OP of this thread I should probably say something in it!".

I've been getting pretty cold on the series tbh, a shitload of the stuff in the later books has been leaving me very emotionally unsatisfied. Persepolis Rising was especially egregious with this, I didn't like the direction it took at all and it's not getting my hopes up much for the last two books. (For reference, my favourite is BY FAR Caliban's War.) I'll still get them because I want to see how everything ends and even though I'm very lukewarm on half of the books as a whole like gently caress am I going to miss out on more Avasarala time.

I'm kinda in the same boat but I always enjoy the books a lot while I'm reading them.

Really really really looking forward to and hoping for proto-Miller to be a big part of the last two books

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The books are following a natural progression that is as depressing as it should be.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I honestly felt that Persepolis Rising was a step up from the previous two books, but that's mainly because Marco never worked for me as a character.

The 30 year timeskip was a bad idea that I ended up subconsciously ignoring because I picture the characters as their actors anyway, and the book does feel like setup for the next one(s), but it did get me interested in seeing where the story will go.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Persepolis Rising is definitely better than Babylon's Ashes.

The series is beginning to show its age, however. But providing Books 8 and 9 don't go to absolute badness, it's going to be a very solid series.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: dumb post. Just venting a little since Persepolis Rising isn’t grabbing me at all.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 30, 2018

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
James S. A. Corey has made it perfectly clear that they will not let us escape our present even in their distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
When I found out this series was originally written as an MMO framework the wierd pacing, bad plot after book two, and comically cardboard villains suddenly all made perfect sense.