Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Covok posted:

I forget, but didn't Animorphs have a person get turned into a fly and eaten and they turn someone into a rat and just left him that way for the rest of his life so that he wouldn't give away their secret?

Yes to the second, and he spends the rest of the life mentally screaming at anyone who comes near so people think the island they stranded him on is haunted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that book hosed me up as a little kid because i was all excited that there was a new animorph who had the same name i did

and then things happened

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Desiden posted:

I can't speak to everywhere of course, but I know in the two AoS clubs around my city, you won't find anyone who defends the game at launch, and you'll only find a handful that were even willing to play it before 6 months to a year ago. Finally getting points and matched play helped, but so did, yanno, actually putting out enough setting material in novels and battletomes for people to give a poo poo about the world. Its still very much a work in progress. The announcement of second edition has emphasized how much setting info they're going to put out, and shadespire and warhammer quest have been focusing on providing more visibility on the goings on in cities and among "regular people". Will it ever replace the old setting? Eh, dunno, but at least its now actually trying to do something other than be the least effort possible to promote buying more models.
I haven't checked out the relevant thread in awhile, so where do people stand on the whole "taking bets on when GW files for bankrupty" thing now?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I remember the thread for doom and gloom and GW going bankrupt being made in 2012 lmao. Was it gassed or people just gave up

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Serf posted:

its mostly because warhammer sucks

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't checked out the relevant thread in awhile, so where do people stand on the whole "taking bets on when GW files for bankrupty" thing now?

They apparently instead just got rid of the guy that seemed determined to drive them into the ground with bad decisions, which is an about face no one expected in the tabletop games industry.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Rumor has it (4chan)

:shrug:

I'm sure people there are melting down about the fact that they're POC before they even get to the fact that they're children.

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything is cool and good now to everyone because there's a good edition of 40K and Age of Sigmar is getting better. I'm sure their financial situation is more stable too unless there's some evidence to the contrary.

EDIT:

unseenlibrarian posted:

They apparently instead just got rid of the guy that seemed determined to drive them into the ground with bad decisions, which is an about face no one expected in the tabletop games industry.

Mostly because of this.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

This rules. Especially if it plays a bit with being self-aware of the disparity between the audience and the material.

I know, I know. You've been thinking "Fascism is good and all, but what about the kids? How are the youth going to get hip to xenophobia? How do we get them started on blind authoritanism before Labor sinks their dirty claws in?" I know, right? It's not like there's some massive, monolithic irony of a Thatcher-era parody of radical nationalism getting high on its own supply and forgetting its own roots until we just unironically market it to kids!

Also, y'know, welcome back, TDN.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I know, I know. You've been thinking "Fascism is good and all, but what about the kids? How are the youth going to get hip to xenophobia? How do we get them started on blind authoritanism before Labor sinks their dirty claws in?" I know, right? It's not like there's some massive, monolithic irony of a Thatcher-era parody of radical nationalism getting high on its own supply and forgetting its own roots until we just unironically market it to kids!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the whole "people taking bets on when GW goes under" thing happened when it was being actively run into the ground by former CEO Tom Kirby.

That guy stepped down, and new CEO Kevin Rountree stepped up to, over the course of a single year, reverse the damage to GW's stock value and community reputation.

It's genuinely impressive. And the steps toward added inclusiveness and diversity shown in, at least, the Age of Sigmar line demonstrates that somebody, somewhere, in GW gives a poo poo.

That said:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also, y'know, welcome back, TDN.

I don't think that's the Agenda being pushed by GW, but I might be wrong about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

unseenlibrarian posted:

It's funny that the Mantic thread still has a thread title from like three years ago when it briefly seemed like GW's fuckups were gonna make Mantic and their terrible fantasy game the big thing in wargames

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Plutonis posted:

I don't think that's the Agenda being pushed by GW, but I might be wrong about it.

I don't think it's an agenda, no, I'm being a bit joking, though I do think it's a bit of an issue given some of the more worrisome fringes of 40k's fanbase. Ultimately, I think it's one of those things where either A) they aren't quite aware of the whole subtext or B) carry on whistling and hope nobody seriously cares.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's cool, children need another thing to drive their families into bankruptcy for. They'll also get driven out of the hobby by the time they can afford to invest in an army because they'll start looking at models and some grog will come over and tell them they're stupid and wrong for liking what they like. This is double true if they're female.

I know game stores are changing but war gaming is the land that time forgot in most stores. GW is especially bad at this and the only thing worse would be if the kid likes historical minis.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, we live on the darkest timeline and that's why it rules. It could get subversive or it may just be a bunch of unintentional subtext but either way it's really interesting as a piece of consumer art. I don't even really interact with the product beyond osmosis, so obviously not the best perspective, but generally anything that chips away at the self-serious exterior or provides a sort of distilled (even if, especially if earnest) ridiculousness to me is Really Funny and Good. Especially if this, as mentioned, spreads to the rest of the product as corporate-level decisions are made to change its direction a second time after it embraced the grimdark, to now become DC Cinematic Universe grimdark.

Good to be back.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

its mostly because warhammer sucks

seriously the idea of a children's book set in a universe full of tyranny and horror and gore and violence is so blithely unaware

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

seriously the idea of a children's book set in a universe full of tyranny and horror and gore and violence is so blithely unaware

Dude, Flowers in the Attic is one of the most successful and popular YA books of all time.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have to wonder how much market share GW thinks there is in a hobby where there is a comic book superhero minis game (Heroclix) and several Star Wars games (X-Wing/Armada/Legion/Imperial Assault).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

Their actual lives are set in one, so why not?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I have to wonder how much market share GW thinks there is in a hobby where there is a comic book superhero minis game (Heroclix) and several Star Wars games (X-Wing/Armada/Legion/Imperial Assault).

Probably for people who are tired Superheroes and Star Wars

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Have you ever been around a child in the US?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude, Flowers in the Attic is one of the most successful and popular YA books of all time.

I mean yeah but that book isn't written from the perspective that the children are the villains not being faithful to the authority figure. Also I would have assumed Harry Potter outsells that, I guess its not technically YA?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kingcom posted:

I mean yeah but that book isn't written from the perspective that the children are the villains not being faithful to the authority figure. Also I would have assumed Harry Potter outsells that, I guess its not technically YA?

“One of”, but I think HP is YA. It gets into death and torture later in the series, I think.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

Yeah, that Star Wars game looks dull as hell. The Imperial army is just different kinds of Stormtroopers, and Resistance guys never had a clear stylistic throughline, so it's just some guys.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brazilian kids are into Boruto and Dragon Ball Super

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Possibly the only things more worn out than star wars are naruto and his spawn

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Xarbala posted:

Yeah the whole "people taking bets on when GW goes under" thing happened when it was being actively run into the ground by former CEO Tom Kirby.

That guy stepped down, and new CEO Kevin Rountree stepped up to, over the course of a single year, reverse the damage to GW's stock value and community reputation.

It's genuinely impressive. And the steps toward added inclusiveness and diversity shown in, at least, the Age of Sigmar line demonstrates that somebody, somewhere, in GW gives a poo poo.

I'm not going to poo poo on Kevin Rountree, because the guy has done fine as CEO, but at the same time its kind of further testament to how utterly poo poo Tom Kirby was. Because most of the things he's done to right the ship is stuff that was so much of a no-brainer that it would sound crazy to any other halfway sane company that GW wasn't already doing. I mean, some of the biggest things:

1. Making boxed sets and bundles actually save some money over buying the contents piecemeal. and actually pointing that out to help drive sales.
2. Making the start collecting boxes also (at least technically) be enough to actually, yanno, start playing. Not at full tournament levels or anything, but its typically enough for a small 500 point game with units that (again, usually) will continue to be useful to build a bigger force around.
3. Publishing regular updates to the rules based on community feedback and tournament data. AoS even has an annual revision of points and some other shakeups with the general's handbooks. Not perfect, but at least its attempting to keep some parity to the factions.
4. Aforementioned realizing that people pushing around little toys on the table actually do want at least some context for it, and paying more attention to setting development.
5. Kinda sorta realizing that maybe bald-faced greed and being litigious control freaks wasn't doing themselves any favors. They've gotten better in working with non-GW stores and while they're still expensive as all gently caress, they're at least paying a modicum of attention to maintaining customers through a variety of marketing elements and "the hobby" angle.

Again, not making GBS threads on Rountree for this. Its all stuff that needed to be done. But I think probably the best thing he's done there is, frankly, to treat GW as an actual business competing in the market, rather than a parody of one. They're still a high priced niche market, but Rountree seems to realize there's more to doing well at that than just "gouge your customers and expect there always to be replacements."

Oh yeah, and in regards to the original question, GW's doing alright financially, based on the last annual report I read. Licensing has become a big deal for them, which has helped stabilize matters. But honestly, the biggest thing is probably just paring way back on their retail facing. Which was another baffling old-GW concept. There's a reason a lot of industries don't try to integrate all the way to retail. Going to one man stores in a lot of places may have allowed them to stay in the black, but if they're having to do that I'm sure there's more profitable ways they could be directing their efforts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Desiden posted:

Again, not making GBS threads on Rountree for this. Its all stuff that needed to be done. But I think probably the best thing he's done there is, frankly, to treat GW as an actual business competing in the market, rather than a parody of one.

This is a really good way to put it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Knowing there's a Games Workshop storefront about a half-hour from me on most days is slightly surreal. I've never been in, because all I would do is tourist in with no intention of ever buying anything, but it always feels pretty odd to have a storefront dedicated to space marines, of all things.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

When did Tom Kirby, mister "a marketing department is otiose in a niche" himself, get kicked out? I stopped paying attention to the GW Doomsaying thread a while ago and so only found this stuff out in the past week.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

When did Tom Kirby, mister "a marketing department is otiose in a niche" himself, get kicked out? I stopped paying attention to the GW Doomsaying thread a while ago and so only found this stuff out in the past week.

He stepped down sometime in 2015.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Of course they're all humans. Where's the story where a ragamuffin ork boy learns a harsh lesson where he has to kill his pet, Hormie?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I was like 8 or 9 the first time I saw anything Warhammer related and was immediately hooked

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

I was like 8 or 9 the first time I saw anything Warhammer related and was immediately hooked

I was 10 but I meant more in terms of how they feel about Star Wars and Marvel movies. When I was 10, the only miniatures games being played in my area were GW ones. It's not 1997 anymore.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Not to be extremely cynical, but "isn't this a bit scary and gory?" isn't really going to phase the generation being gunned down every week in their schools.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Not to be extremely cynical, but "isn't this a bit scary and gory?" isn't really going to phase the generation being gunned down every week in their schools.

Exactly. Why give them more violent media to encourage this kind of shooting?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

just because "it doesn't matter" and "they've been through worse" doesn't mean we should strive to do better - the setting is a mismatch: either you dumb it down enough that it's not actually representative of the universe, or it deals in material that isn't appropriate.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Or alternatively, the setting is entirely appropriate for kids that age, because when you're like nine or ten years old is when something being really slick and dark and full of edgy stuff appeals most. God knows when I was that age I was writing stuff so edgy it makes me cringe now, and by the time I got into 40k in my teens I had already outgrown most of the aesthetic.

Edit: Really, I'm a little amazed by the idea that 'too dark for YA' is an idea that's been floating around the thread. Like, putting aside Animorphs, the fact that The Hunger Games was a smash hit and was about children being drafted into televised bloodsport should maybe set the tone for what kids actually want to read.

Doc Aquatic fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 22, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

Exactly. Why give them more violent media to encourage this kind of shooting?

Can we please not parrot that? My only reason for saying this is that this is the conservatives new go to line to get around gun control. Because the last school shooting occurred at one of their " safe schools", which was their last go to the they started a few months ago where they suggested schools have guards, and 10 people still died. So now they're claiming it's all violent media and that we don't need gun control, we just need media control and less video games and poo poo. It's really loving infuriating the lengths the American right are going to ignore the fact that we just need some loving gun control. And I just prefer if we didn't reiterate their loving new talking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doc Aquatic posted:

Edit: Really, I'm a little amazed by the idea that 'too dark for YA' is an idea that's been floating around the thread. Like, putting aside Animorphs, the fact that The Hunger Games was a smash hit and was about children being drafted into televised bloodsport should maybe set the tone for what kids actually want to read.

Yeah, as the parent of a 10-year-old, I don’t think it’s implausible that they could filter the universe to be acceptable while still maintaining meaningful connection to the canon. I mostly know 40K from reading F&Fs though. Maybe it’s even worse than SotDL, which Serf is successfully tweaking to be less crazy.

E: I think the most likely scenario is that they will overshoot and take out too much interesting stuff, but that’ll be because they’re being conservative and not because that stuff is unpalatable to their audience.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 22, 2018