Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We have a thread about the murder sub in SA but I'd advise staying away from it for a bit. There was another derail where people staked the claim that torturing a bad person is a normal instinct and/or a good thing.

The derail happens every few weeks. Sometimes the pro-torture folk get a bit graphic with the descriptions. Sometimes they include pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wasn't this guy a goon?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A goon helped him build the sub

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RandomPauI posted:

We have a thread about the murder sub in SA but I'd advise staying away from it for a bit. There was another derail where people staked the claim that torturing a bad person is a normal instinct and/or a good thing.

The derail happens every few weeks. Sometimes the pro-torture folk get a bit graphic with the descriptions. Sometimes they include pictures.

Similar derail just happened in the Sec gently caress thread, about how torture for information was a grey area of morality. SA really is just one big thread, isn’t it?

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
This looks so much more stylish and comfortable than a regular facemask!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/805383153/air-filtration-wearable-project?ref=discovery

A Vegan dating site - because unbearably smug people deserve each other:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1636467623/vegamory?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

Hey, look! Bubble Hat Cage Helmet guy is back!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1401357387/it-works-football-head-protect?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

CollegeCop posted:

This looks so much more stylish and comfortable than a regular facemask!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/805383153/air-filtration-wearable-project?ref=discovery

The happy music playing while things like "90% of the world's population suffers from air pollution" makes this one so good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beanbandit/kenichi-sonodas-bean-bandit-new-anime-project?ref=user_menu

Waffleman_ posted:

Fund that beautiful Bean footage

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

This is definitely not an awful Kickstarter, other than that they might only be able make a five minute short [hopefully they'll get enough to make it 20 minutes].

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah it's gonna own, but there's no "PYF good Kickstarters" thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thank you for enjoying my joke.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Oh jeez is that woman supposed to be Rally? I'm not on board with that.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

You may remember the Ossic X, a pair of '3d audio' headphones with 4 drivers per ear. Over 10,000 backers pledged $2.7 million in 2016. The headphones started at $200 earlybird, and most people paid $250, with an "MSRP" of $400.

You also know what's coming next.

They announced they're folding, only produced 250 pairs in a production test run, no one else will get any, and there apparently won't be any refunds. They'd need another $2m to "complete" production.

One of the comments said he even demanded a refund back in 2016 (he said the video was misleading and assumed they were basically ready for production), and they ignored him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpacePig posted:

Oh jeez is that woman supposed to be Rally? I'm not on board with that.

I think the Rally from Riding Bean isn't exactly the Rally from Gunsmith Cats.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think the Rally from Riding Bean isn't exactly the Rally from Gunsmith Cats.

Oh, well, drat. I had only ever read Gunsmith Cats and didn't realize Riding Bean came before it and not after. My bad.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pyroclastic posted:

You may remember the Ossic X, a pair of '3d audio' headphones with 4 drivers per ear. Over 10,000 backers pledged $2.7 million in 2016. The headphones started at $200 earlybird, and most people paid $250, with an "MSRP" of $400.

They announced they're folding, only produced 250 pairs in a production test run, no one else will get any, and there apparently won't be any refunds. They'd need another $2m to "complete" production.

One of the comments said he even demanded a refund back in 2016 (he said the video was misleading and assumed they were basically ready for production), and they ignored him.

lol

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Remember the screen shoes, Shiftwear? I assumed they would simply delay the delivery forever and run with the money like a good kickstarter scam. Their last update from april seemed to go in that direction (lol @ "we stopped working on the shoes but we are developping a blockchain app"):

https://shiftwear.com/blog/2018/04/15/shiftwear-update-april-15-2018/

But then this was posted on their facebook and I think it's hilarious if true

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:allears: That's beautiful. Most would just fade away and hope people forget about them, these guys go the extra mile to rub the scam in their backers' faces.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You want shoe? TOO BAD! HERE SCAM!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Isn't that what lots of scammers do, particularly from China do. They ship literally anything in a box, just random poo poo. Something to do with paypal refunds not being easy if you actually received a shipment or something.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

Isn't that what lots of scammers do, particularly from China do. They ship literally anything in a box, just random poo poo. Something to do with paypal refunds not being easy if you actually received a shipment or something.

Yeah but these people put their real name and pictures on their sites, and they rent a real office in New York. They even have a working prototype. Either some other scammers used their name either they went full "gently caress this poo poo".

Their online store is down.

Anyway it's hilarious

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yeah but these people put their real name and pictures on their sites, and they rent a real office in New York. They even have a working prototype. Either some other scammers used their name either they went full "gently caress this poo poo".

Their online store is down.

Anyway it's hilarious

How do you know it's really them? Many scammers just hire actors for their promotional videos and/or use random photos on their websites.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

How do you know it's really them? Many scammers just hire actors for their promotional videos and/or use random photos on their websites.

He has a lot of other online presence like a LinkedIn, and a former employee explained how he wasn't getting paid despite working for him.

Maybe it was supposed to be a scam from the start but it doesn't feel like it, especially with their working prototype

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aramoro posted:

Yeah, so long as you can prove you shipped PayPal do not care what was in the shipment. Someone once ordered a laptop and received a blank sheet of paper in a manila envelope, sent recorded delivery. PayPal refused the refund because the seller could prove he shipped.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

My favorite part is this SUPERBACKER who is just now realizing that Kickstarter is a scam:

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

I spent hundreds of dollars on a piece of luxury audio equipment years ago and now I'm not actually getting it, my finances are in shambles! My death is on your conscience, Ossic!

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

My favorite part is this SUPERBACKER who is just now realizing that Kickstarter is a scam:

There's something about the kind of person who has enough disposable income and gullibility to support gadget kickstarters like this where their brains completely break when they don't get what they want and there's no manager to complain to or company left to get someone fired over it from. The best they can manage is to just impotently flail their torches and pitchforks at linkedin pages and howl about class action lawsuits until their temper tantrum runs down and they get distracted by something else.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Erotic Wakes posted:

I spent hundreds of dollars on a piece of luxury audio equipment years ago and now I'm not actually getting it, my finances are in shambles! My death is on your conscience, Ossic!

There's something about the kind of person who has enough disposable income and gullibility to support gadget kickstarters like this where their brains completely break when they don't get what they want and there's no manager to complain to or company left to get someone fired over it from. The best they can manage is to just impotently flail their torches and pitchforks at linkedin pages and how about class action lawsuits until their temper tantrum runs down and they get distracted by something else.

Spoiled Trust Fund Kids, probably never unable to get something they want, dealing with unavoidable failure for what may be the first time.

Also @ poor college student, that's 100% the kind that drives his own BMW but whines about paying rent in his luxury apartment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ossic probably should've delivered something, audiophiles are the biggest cash cow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

super sweet best pal posted:

Ossic probably should've delivered something, audiophiles are the biggest cash cow.

Yeah, it's not very hard to scam those folks. That entire loving industry is built on the backs of old white idiots with too much money.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pyroclastic posted:

Did I miss this being brought up?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bluesmart-series-2-smart-luggage-system#/
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/bluesmart-smart-luggage-shutting-down/

and

http://fortune.com/2016/03/29/smart-luggage/
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/17/17364922/raden-smart-luggage-airline-ban-bluesmart

Both shut down. No refunds, no warranty support. You can still use your smart luggage as plain old suitcases that you spent too much money on, but it's kind of hard to have a working product when your batteries are banned from planes.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:13 on May 21, 2018

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
Aw yeah folks, another day another ludicrously over-engineered food preparation system with proprietary DRM cartridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t50uHS68k

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tastetro-spice-system-vegan#/

quote:

Can I load my own spices in the pods?

In the beginning, we asked ourselves if we were an appliance company or a spice company. In the numerous in-home research interviews we conducted, we consistently found people using old spices. To have people expect mouthwatering spice blends from loading their old spices into the appliance would lead to disappointment and not the experience we want to deliver.

TasteTro's spices and herbs are of a premium gourmet quality, procured in smaller batches from only the most trusted sources. All pods are sealed and uniquely identified through the RFID label.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Erotic Wakes posted:

Aw yeah folks, another day another ludicrously over-engineered food preparation system with proprietary DRM cartridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t50uHS68k

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tastetro-spice-system-vegan#/

This is hilarious. Like, it basically does nothing. This saves you the MASSIVE effort of spicing with like, salt and THEN spicing with basil, now you can mix them and save yourself .4 seconds. Wow. Totally worth... $300? THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

God that thing is awful. Even without the whole "proprietary pods" thing, isn't part of the Joy of Cooking the part where you taste what you're cooking and say "hmm, this should be spicier" and then putting a pinch of cayenne or whatever in? So with this thing you have to stick a clean dish in, scroll through the 20 different spices in their digital menu, and presumably select the amount you want. Then you have to wipe out the dish you just dirtied. As opposed to just popping the cap and throwing a dash in.

I love their explanation for their spice DRM:

quote:

Can I load my own spices in the pods?

In the beginning, we asked ourselves if we were an appliance company or a spice company. In the numerous in-home research interviews we conducted, we consistently found people using old spices. To have people expect mouthwatering spice blends from loading their old spices into the appliance would lead to disappointment and not the experience we want to deliver.

TasteTro's spices and herbs are of a premium gourmet quality, procured in smaller batches from only the most trusted sources. All pods are sealed and uniquely identified through the RFID label.

Requiring people to use expensive, hard to get pods for spices is ENCOURAGING people to use old spices. Nobody is going to order a new pod to replace their spices that are only half used after five years. But they MIGHT spend $3 at the grocery store to refresh it.

And it's flex funding? gently caress off.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

wa27 posted:

Requiring people to use expensive, hard to get pods for spices is ENCOURAGING people to use old spices. Nobody is going to order a new pod to replace their spices that are only half used after five years. But they MIGHT spend $3 at the grocery store to refresh it.

And it's flex funding? gently caress off.

Well, if you make their spice pods stop working when they hit a certain age then they will need to. Otherwise they will be wasting their 300 dollar joyless spice-bot.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's not a bad idea, but the DRM pods that you can't refill yourself completely ruin it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The General posted:

It's not a bad idea, but the DRM pods that you can't refill yourself completely ruin it.

It’s a bad idea because it can’t possibly hold enough spices for many kitchens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

It’s a bad idea because it can’t possibly hold enough spices for many kitchens.

The spice must flow.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Pyroclastic posted:

But that's already been an existing product for years now :psyduck:

loving god drat Kickstarter

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I make my spices fresh, salt is super easy since it only takes two easy ingredients!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barring how dumb that thing is in general if you have hands, I'd imagine poo poo that you don't want would get in there, assuming it's all shooting out of the same hole and being ground by the same grinder. "lemme just get a nice pinch of cinnamon...and dill? and curry wtf?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I don’t follow much of Kickstarter and Indiegogo outside of enjoying this thread, so I’m not sure if this is normal anyway. I was wondering how Juicero 2.0 had $20k backing already and see like half of ‘Our Team’ have made contributions on the backers page.

Indiegogo FAQ posted:

Are campaign owners or team members allowed to contribute to their own campaign?
No. Contributing to your own campaign is prohibited on our platform. Our payment processor, Stripe, prohibits self-contributions and can take actions including rejecting payments that they identify as self-funding, or restricting an individual's ability to accept payments.