Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Lobok posted:

You had to ask. We were doing just Feyn, man.
Puns are fun, don’t be a Bohr.

Also, Einstein wasn’t infallible, or smarter than his peers, really. His work on the photoelectric effect, which got him a Nobel prize, was really good and elegant, but that’s not what people know of him. His work on relativity that he’s famous for just cobbled together what others had already done. He just managed to garner all the credit and put it under his name. As for quantum mechanics, as far as I know his biggest contribution was “God doesn’t play dice with the universe” which, sorry bud, but if he existed he totally would. His cosmological constant is now completely discredited, and he even lived long enough to disown it as well.

That’s not to say he wasn’t smart or didn’t produce any seminal work, because he was, and he did. But he wasn’t some sort of perfect genius that could do no wrong like some people seem to believe when they summon his name in deference. And don’t look into his personal life if you want to keep a shred of respect the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

this broken hill posted:

autistic people in medieval times became monks and spent their lives painting secret dicks into illuminated manuscripts, unless they were women, in which case they were usually burnt at the stake like most women were back then

I imagine a great many of them became craftsmen at whatever thing they obsessed over.

"That Kevin, he's a bit you know...funny in the head. But boy howdy, he makes the best stairs in all the kingdom!"

Kevin: "Why can't all these people just leave me alone with my stairs?"

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Puns are fun, don’t be a Bohr.

Also, Einstein wasn’t infallible, or smarter than his peers, really. His work on the photoelectric effect, which got him a Nobel prize, was really good and elegant, but that’s not what people know of him. His work on relativity that he’s famous for just cobbled together what others had already done. He just managed to garner all the credit and put it under his name. As for quantum mechanics, as far as I know his biggest contribution was “God doesn’t play dice with the universe” which, sorry bud, but if he existed he totally would. His cosmological constant is now completely discredited, and he even lived long enough to disown it as well.

That’s not to say he wasn’t smart or didn’t produce any seminal work, because he was, and he did. But he wasn’t some sort of perfect genius that could do no wrong like some people seem to believe when they summon his name in deference. And don’t look into his personal life if you want to keep a shred of respect the man.

oh god, what did he do?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mycroft Holmes posted:

oh god, what did he do?

Married his cousin?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

syscall girl posted:

Married his cousin?

that's not unusual for a jew

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

oh god, what did he do?

He forced everyone to stand up applaud him at gunpoint.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I thought that it was deeply hosed up that in this timeline, Einstein traveled to the past to save Hitler

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HerStuddMuffin posted:

His cosmological constant is now completely discredited, and he even lived long enough to disown it as well.

The Cosmological Constant is actually now rebranded as Dark Energy and is actually pretty important in cosmology.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also his advancements in astrology were decades ahead of everyone else's. We wouldn't have our current understanding of the emotional balance of Libras without him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Astrology jumped the pisces after they added the new star sign out of nowhere.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Born under the goatse.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
...and the heavens parted

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
No ringworld

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It gave me cancer :(

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
capricornse.cx

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Cosmological Constant is actually now rebranded as Dark Energy and is actually pretty important in cosmology.
I’m not an astrophysicist, so I may be wrong here, but wasn’t the cosmological constant an ad hoc justification to prevent the indefinite expansion of the universe while dark energy is the current handwave for the accelerating expansion of the universe? They’re not quite the same, and this accelerated expansion arises from Adam Riess’ and others observations of distant supernovas, not a desire for a neat and tidy universe that fits our preconceptions.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Ralph Hurley posted:

When I was a freshman in college there was a venue on campus that was having an open mic night for anything, mostly bros covering Beatles songs on acoustic guitar or whatever. I decided I was going to bring conga drums on stage and, I don’t know, fake some Latin rhythms for five minutes? While I was waiting to go on I went outside and smoked an entire joint by myself and suddenly I changed my mind and thought I should turn it into a comedy set with drums. I had no jokes, no stories, I just played congas and said dumb stoned poo poo. I was wearing a Mexican rug poncho and a bandana. I When the heckling got real bad I would just interrupt with my congas. I killed, got a lot of laughs because I looked like such a loving idiot. I don’t really remember anything I said. After my “set”, several people asked if I was trying to be like Andy Kauffman and I had to confess I had no idea who that was. I never did anything like that again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I’m not an astrophysicist, so I may be wrong here, but wasn’t the cosmological constant an ad hoc justification to prevent the indefinite expansion of the universe while dark energy is the current handwave for the accelerating expansion of the universe? They’re not quite the same, and this accelerated expansion arises from Adam Riess’ and others observations of distant supernovas, not a desire for a neat and tidy universe that fits our preconceptions.

They use the same extra degree of freedom in solutions to the Einstein equation, just to resolve the opposite observational problem.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I used to do the odd open mic in college and there was always one guy who thought he was just naturally funny and didn't have to prepare anything, and he was never as funny as he thought he was.

Just to be clear, it wasn't actually the same guy every time, just interchangeable white guys.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Einstein wasn't perfect or the only smart person to defer to but the reason I brought him up was that the convo was about ordinary people and the rep QM gets. So because Einstein wasn't totally on board with QM I think its reputation as being hard to understand or unintuitive is well deserved when the man whose name is synonymous with genius had his reservations about it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lobok posted:

Einstein wasn't perfect or the only smart person to defer to but the reason I brought him up was that the convo was about ordinary people and the rep QM gets. So because Einstein wasn't totally on board with QM I think its reputation as being hard to understand or unintuitive is well deserved when the man whose name is synonymous with genius had his reservations about it.

I'm not sure why Quantum Mechanics is so hard to understand. I haven't thought about it in a while but basically it boils down to Samuel Beckett's original calculations resulted in a defective methodology. The only thing I can't wrap my head around is how things effecting the past effect the future in such a way that they can effect the past again without it becoming some weird paradox loop, obviously I blame Calavicci for that.

Outrail has a new favorite as of 02:39 on May 23, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wu tang

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just quantum-ly entangled

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Read some Aquinas and tell me he was not blessed with the miracle of the 'tism.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

I'm not sure why Quantum Mechanics is so hard to understand. I haven't thought about it in a while but basically it boils down to Samuel Beckett's original calculations resulted in a defective methodology. The only thing I can't wrap my head around is how things effecting the past effect the future in such a way that they can effect the past again without it becoming some weird paradox loop, obviously I blame Calavicci for that.

It's hard to understand because it just doesn't behave the way we think the universe should. The standard model stuff at least makes sense at an intuitive level. You know, get small enough and all matter is made of atoms. Regular matter is made entirely up of electrons, protons, and neutrons. Get smaller and those are made up of various quarks in various configurations. Antimatter is basically regular matter but with opposite charges. Behaves about the same but don't let the two touch each other. We don't entirely understand gravity but all matter is attracted to all other matter all the time. Here are the numbers.

Under normal circumstances standard physics is enough but once you get into extreme circumstances poo poo just breaks down. People having trouble understanding quantum physics is about the same as people understanding why you can't go faster than light. They'll think "but what if..." when the issue there is that the equations they know that accurately describe what they can break down at that level. It's also pretty drat hard for our stupid ape meat brains to comprehend stuff when the numbers get that big. When you get into quantum level stuff you have to start thinking in more than three dimensions, the equations you know are so far into crazy land they quit existing or change in ways that you can't understand, and some quantum stuff just completely loving ignores literally every rule you learned in school. Even if you understand the math and the theory it's still hard to wrap your head around it because your head is a three dimensional object full of ape meat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
honestly a quantum physics derail is about the :3: thing to me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's hard to understand because it just doesn't behave the way we think the universe should. The standard model stuff at least makes sense at an intuitive level. You know, get small enough and all matter is made of atoms. Regular matter is made entirely up of electrons, protons, and neutrons. Get smaller and those are made up of various quarks in various configurations. Antimatter is basically regular matter but with opposite charges. Behaves about the same but don't let the two touch each other. We don't entirely understand gravity but all matter is attracted to all other matter all the time. Here are the numbers.

Under normal circumstances standard physics is enough but once you get into extreme circumstances poo poo just breaks down. People having trouble understanding quantum physics is about the same as people understanding why you can't go faster than light. They'll think "but what if..." when the issue there is that the equations they know that accurately describe what they can break down at that level. It's also pretty drat hard for our stupid ape meat brains to comprehend stuff when the numbers get that big. When you get into quantum level stuff you have to start thinking in more than three dimensions, the equations you know are so far into crazy land they quit existing or change in ways that you can't understand, and some quantum stuff just completely loving ignores literally every rule you learned in school. Even if you understand the math and the theory it's still hard to wrap your head around it because your head is a three dimensional object full of ape meat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Leap

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doc Hawkins posted:

Read some Aquinas and tell me he was not blessed with the miracle of the 'tism.
Dude absolutely was.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sure they were just super into stage coaches or horses or lances or something.

Nah, if the old manuscripts are anything to go by, dudes were crazy about giant snails.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

I'm not sure why Quantum Mechanics is so hard to understand.
poo poo happens that is hard to wrap your mind around. Take the double slit experiment. You take a piece of cardboard and slash it with a razor blade. You shine a laser at it, and put a screen behind it. You see diffuse light, it’s a diffraction pattern, no big deal.

Now you slash the cardboard a second time, making the second slit close to the first (about a wavelength) and you repeat the experiment. Photons are now going through both slits and get diffracted separately, but then they mix like waves in a pool and on your screen you see bright lines and dark lines. Still no biggie, that’s called an interference pattern, it’s just photons that went through the first slit mingling with photons that went through the second slit.

And now you change your laser to a pulse laser and you set its power real low so that you’re only shooting one photon at a time. That photon can go through the first slit, or it can go through the second slit and they’re real close so you should basically get the diffraction pattern of the one slit experiment, right? Wrong! That fucker goes through both slits at the same time, interferes with itself and makes the diffraction pattern.

So you’re like, ok, photons behave like waves, what’s the big deal? You put a photon detector at the first slit, and another at the second slit, and you turn on the laser again, expecting to detect photons at both detectors. But now the fuckers are only showing up at one detector for each laser impulse. Half the time it gets detected at the first slit, half the time at the second slit, and never at both. And that’s when you put all your stuff away, pick up a alcohol habit, and start calling photons fuckers.

Counterintuitive poo poo like that happens all the time when you start learning QM, which contributes to its reputation for being a mindfuck.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You nerds do know I'm talking about a 90's SciFi TV show, right?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Fine! The double slit experiment is now about FFM threesomes.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Fine! The double slit experiment is now about FFM threesomes.

uber chad electrons, getting to come through two holes at once

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Whenever goons self-style as historians or experts on any field like economics, politics, religion or even eugenics and horse-breeding it is never actually that anyone is working as an expert in the field, but rather that the total sum of Goon knowledge is extrapolated from this one same thing and based on the most recent derail I have to assume that quantum mechanics have been introduced to the Europa Universalis series.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Nah, it's in Dwarf Fortress.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Quantum mechanics are why the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park could switch sexes right

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pirate Radar posted:

Quantum mechanics are why the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park could switch sexes right

Nah that was quimturn mechanics

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah that was quimturn mechanics
Jesus, aren't you ashamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My Lovely Horse posted: