Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always heard that Lucas got fined and rage quit the Director's Guide as a result. It's entirely possible directors like Kubrick and Wells just paid their fine or got away with it because the governing body liked them more. It may have also mattered that Star Wars was the biggest film ever, so there was more attention paid to Lucas.

He only left after they tried to get the director of Empire on the same thing. Lucas was cool with paying the fine but when they went after his director he said "gently caress you" and bailed. This is why Jedi wasn't directed by Spielberg like Lucas wanted since Spielberg was still in the Guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MrJacobs posted:

This is why Jedi wasn't directed by Spielberg like Lucas wanted since Spielberg was still in the Guild.

drat, that coulda been something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LesterGroans posted:

drat, that coulda been something.

The Jedi director rumour I've always been obsessed with is David Lynch.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Skwirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

One of the absolute top Lynch interview clips next to his take on people watching films on their phones

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, I don’t think Lynch directing Jedi would have been that great. Lucas would have forced him into following his vision. It’s not like we would have gotten bald Jedis or baroque gilded Death Stars if Lynch was at the helm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

david_a posted:

Yeah, I don’t think Lynch directing Jedi would have been that great. Lucas would have forced him into following his vision. It’s not like we would have gotten bald Jedis or baroque gilded Death Stars if Lynch was at the helm.

I just want weirder Star Wars.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Why would you want something weird? Like what everyone else likes. That's the whole point of Star Wars.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lol looks like eurovisions canceled next year

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Skwirl posted:

It probably would have turned out similarly to Dune.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
For animals in movies, how do they get paid? I mean, I'm guessing whoever owns the animal probably gets a check, but how does an animals rate of pay compare to a person's?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Toebone posted:

In the book, while Sam is carrying the ring it tries to tempt him with visions of the greatest, most powerful garden of all time.

And he does eventually sail west too

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Skwirl posted:

I just want weirder Star Wars.

I think the prequels should have been directed by Verhoeven.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think the prequels should have been directed by Verhoeven.
imagining a storm trooper being literally shot to pieces

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

david_a posted:

imagining a storm trooper being literally shot to pieces
Or Anakin Skywalker's arms and legs being sliced off and then he's burned half to death and rebuilt in a robot suit. That would be crazy! If only...

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or Anakin Skywalker's arms and legs being sliced off and then he's burned half to death and rebuilt in a robot suit. That would be crazy! If only...

And then, now hear me out, at the end of his arc he rejects the name given to him and reassumes his original identity.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

One of the absolute top Lynch interview clips next to his take on people watching films on their phones

One of my favourite Lynch-related videos is Kyle MacLachlan talking about meeting Lynch for the first time. The video is a completely mundane 4 minute recollection of a Hollywood meeting, but for some reason Kyle is chromakeyed into this distorted hosed up hotel background which keeps undulating and shifting behind him. Lynchian as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UkHVJlIs8

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WeAreTheRomans posted:

One of my favourite Lynch-related videos is Kyle MacLachlan talking about meeting Lynch for the first time. The video is a completely mundane 4 minute recollection of a Hollywood meeting, but for some reason Kyle is chromakeyed into this distorted hosed up hotel background which keeps undulating and shifting behind him. Lynchian as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UkHVJlIs8

I don't think that's chromakey, it's more like Youtubes poo poo stabilization effect they were using for a while a few years back.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

And then, now hear me out, at the end of his arc he rejects the name given to him and reassumes his original identity.

That could be cool.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

We were talking about this in another thread recently, and I think it was HUNDU who pointed out just how soulless and mercenary they are. That Jackson really, really, really didn't want to do them is transparent on the screen, he just did not give a poo poo.

These are long but also really, really good summations on how weirdly The Hobbit got hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thwomp posted:

These are long but also really, really good summations on how weirdly The Hobbit got hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4

Those are decent, but her tinfoil hatting about Del Toro's departure--suggesting that he was fired--doesn't hold up at all with what we know of the timeline, because MGM didn't get its financial poo poo together for another eight or nine months after he left, and at the time he left there was absolutely no end in sight (MGM was only able to finally get things going because it sold the distribution rights for its entire catalog to Sony, which happened in 2011; it used that money to greenlight The Hobbit and Skyfall).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The third one, which deals with the union problems, is particularly striking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Hobbit movies hosed over hundreds if not thousands of people, twisted a whole country's labor climate to that of a Massachusetts cotton mill in the 1840's, destroyed Peter Jackson's credibility, kept us from getting a decent adaptation for at least another 10 years, and were a soulless, hollow, useless, worthless cash grab that will never be remembered in any way other than a bad one, AND THEY STILL MADE MONEY.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:capitalism:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Hobbit movies hosed over hundreds if not thousands of people, twisted a whole country's labor climate to that of a Massachusetts cotton mill in the 1840's, destroyed Peter Jackson's credibility, kept us from getting a decent adaptation for at least another 10 years, and were a soulless, hollow, useless, worthless cash grab that will never be remembered in any way other than a bad one, AND THEY STILL MADE MONEY.

Just goes to show you if you made a trilogy of movies everyone loved it’ll buy a lot of goodwill to carry you through a bad follow up trilogy

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While I liked the Hobbit trilogy, the real star of the extended edition Blu-ray release is the incredible 9 1/2 hour making-of documentary. I honestly feel that the it was a way of salvaging the project since it's a more harrowing and emotional journey than the films themselves.

Some of the stuff in that doc is nightmare material like Ian McKellan having a nervous breakdown or Peter Jackson gradually going from looking healthy to his hair turning gray and looking haggard by the end.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's insane how skinny PJ was at the start of filming and how he was back to his large self a year later

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

got any sevens posted:

It's insane how skinny PJ was at the start of filming and how he was back to his large self a year later

Depression is an ugly thing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The 3:16 to Yuma remake just came on TV and now I'm gonna have to be up til 3 :unsmith:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Harime Nui posted:

The 3:16 to Yuma remake just came on TV and now I'm gonna have to be up til 3 :unsmith:

Is that like the 5th sequel?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SimonCat posted:

Is that like the 5th sequel?

Watch the original or the remake + The Searchers and youu'll get cowboy movies forever

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Best part of the shitshow was that none of the New Zealand actors were invited to the big premiere in the US as Warner Brothers were angry with them.
One of the actors simply tweeted out that he was not going, and WB got all pissy that he posted it. Then invited them to it.
They arrived and not one WB rep talked to any of them the whole time. They were treated like loving ebola victims.

All just so that they would get the same pay as other country film workers.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I watched Bright yesterday and now I'm wondering if there are any good movies about the integration of the police forces. Like a buddy cop movie with a black and white pair of cops where they have to deal with the racism in the department or whatever. In the Heat of the Night is very good, Training Day is good but doesn't really fit the bill.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Syncopated posted:

I watched Bright yesterday and now I'm wondering if there are any good movies about the integration of the police forces. Like a buddy cop movie with a black and white pair of cops where they have to deal with the racism in the department or whatever. In the Heat of the Night is very good, Training Day is good but doesn't really fit the bill.

Zootopia

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Syncopated posted:

I have a soft spot for Alien Nation.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJ5H_sgq0I

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Syncopated posted:

Turner and Hooch.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
All these are very good suggestions, but I was looking for all-human movies. Although it's funny that there are so many non-human buddy cop movies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Syncopated posted:

All these are very good suggestions, but I was looking for all-human movies. Although it's funny that there are so many non-human buddy cop movies.

There's no shortage of awkward combination human buddy cop films.

What the gently caress...? They made a sequel?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I can't remember the extent of race relations but 48 Hours and Lethal Weapon are both interracial buddy cop movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Die Hard with a Vengeance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG537j88Q2w