Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

asio posted:

Manus/Nauru are only the latest additions to the shitlist the UN has on us.

Woah, the UN, look out guys, the UN's comin' to get us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Oh no not the UN

The governing body equivalent of the Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I wonder if the US would vote for us at the UN the way they do for Israel

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
When push comes to shove I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't even acknowledge that we exist.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

A NEW plan to tweak the definition of autism could see thousands of Australians with significant support needs unable to access the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

The plan, being worked on by the National Disability Insurance Agency with researchers, will reverse the idea of an autism “spectrum” and place people into specific “subtypes” based on individual characteristics instead, The Australian reports.

The redesign will reportedly come into effect shortly before state and federal support programs for ­autism end next year, potentially leaving thousands with little or no support.

The Australian first reported at the weekend the NDIA was working on a secret plan to restrict the access of autistic people to the NDIS by preventing them from qualifying “automatically” for taxpayer funded support.

It’s part of a wider plan to rein in costs of the $22 billion NDIS.

Now, it has been revealed moves to tweak the definition of autism are being worked on by researchers from the Co-operative Research Centre for Living with Autism along with the NDIA.

The news comes after Australians were shocked by a horrific case where several teens have been charged after a defenceless 14-year-old Quinn Lahiff-Jenkinsa was allegedly assaulted by a group of teenagers outside a school in Melbourne’s northern suburbs.

The researchers are working to develop a “profile” of different types of autism based on “individual characteristics”, which would identify new “subtypes” of autism rather than acknowledging a “spectrum”.

It could potentially allow the NDIA to link specific support packages to the new subtypes.

The research adds weight to revelations at the weekend the NDIA is working on a plan to restrict the access of autistic people to the NDIS.

An NDIA staff member reportedly published part of the plan last week by updating a list of pre-qualifying conditions for the scheme and the update was then taken down the next day.

But The Australian reports the change removed Level Two of three levels of autism, the second most severe, from the list of conditions that automatically qualified for entry to the NDIS.

The NDIA has expressed concern about some people with autism being placed on the NDIS where “eligibility criteria have not otherwise been met”.

“While this work has been underway for some time, it ­remains at a discussion stage and no decision has been made as to whether the Lists should be changed,” a statement on the NDIS website yesterday said.

The reported changes come as the number of NDIS participants with autism rises.

About 142,000 Australians are currently in the NDIS. The percentage with autism has risen from 28 to 29 per cent in the past year.

ABS statistics reveal the number of Australians with Autism rose by 42.1 per cent to 164,000 between 2012 and 2015 alone.

This was actually really thought provoking, and I had to check out what Baron-Cohen actually said/might have said, because while I'm not completely read up on ASD research, the idea of diagnostic continuums/domains is something which I am actually working in (but obviously for a different disorder).

Anyway the tl;dr is that moving away from a "spectrum" style diagnosis is extremely unlikely to occur. A really good example of something which may eventually supplement traditional categorical diagnosis is the Research Domain Criteria, which breaks down a whole bunch of different processes (based on theoretical and empirical evidence, not just clustering) to assist in providing clearer pictures of normal and abnormal functioning. While we are at least a few years off, I suspect that in disorders such as ASD and schizophrenia, this might be the way of the future.

I've found the source article from the Arsetralian, and I think that the author has completely missed the point because the whole nosology thing is extremely nuanced.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

From what I can glean from his article excerpt he seems upset that the bride was upstaged. He puts on this quaint act sometimes that makes me think he’s upset that he wasn’t born aristocratic and can only experience it vicariously or by licking the feet of truebloods like Abbott.

No, he's really saying it in an attempt to "trigger lefties" so he can put on his act about being victimised. That's his MO, it's always the same. He attacks the weak for the jollies it gives his following, and pretends he's some kind of right-wing paladin alternately.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Empress, Red Flame That Illuminates The Dark, and purveyor of battered treats Pauline Hanson has now decided not to support coalition tax cuts

Must be losing a shitload of votes over that. The only thing that would stop her from voting in lockstep with the LNP in exchange for a couple belly rubs is the possibility of being cut off from the trough altogether

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Previous Defence Minister has a spirited shot at Defending the Indefensible:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/sponsorship-money-from-global-weapons-manufacturers/9785954

quote:

Should the Australian War Memorial take sponsorship money from weapons manufacturers?

The Australian War Memorial has come under fire for its long-running sponsorship deals with big global weapons manufacturers, such as BAE and Lockheed Martin. The Medical Association for the Prevention of War has also criticised the Memorial for "blurring the distinction between commemoration ... and entertainment". The attack is part of the Association's submission to a parliamentary inquiry into Canberra's national institutions.

:australia:

And why does the War Memorial need all that sweat sweat corporate blood money? No, it's not because chubby Muslim children are nicking gold coins from the pool of remembrance. It's the efficiency dividend!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

aejix posted:

Empress, Red Flame That Illuminates The Dark, and purveyor of battered treats Pauline Hanson has now decided not to support coalition tax cuts

Must be losing a shitload of votes over that. The only thing that would stop her from voting in lockstep with the LNP in exchange for a couple belly rubs is the possibility of being cut off from the trough altogether

quote:

The Australian also reported fresh details of the deal, including a tightening of tax deductions for exploration costs under the Petroleum Resource Rent Tax.

Hanson reportedly complained that the apprenticeship concessions were not included in the May budget, prompting Cormann to respond that One Nation was aware that their agreement was contingent on the tax cuts passing the Senate.

Hanson also attacked one of the central justifications for the package, saying she was unconvinced that the slow phase-in of the corporate tax cuts to 2026-27 would stimulate job creation.

“The whole fact is, if they’re ­serious about this, then start doing something about it now … This government is talking about it six or eight years down the track. Well, that’s not good enough,” Hanson reportedly said.

“The people in general don’t want it. It has not been well ­received. The government has not been able to sell the package to the people and they haven’t cut through.”

Hanson reportedly issued a new set of demands, including a reduction in the migration rate, making the banks pay for the royal commission, the provision of greater assistance for pensioners, lower power prices for consumers and greater efforts to crack down on multinational tax avoidance.

One Nation also wants an overhaul of the PRRT, including the introduction of a “use it or lose it policy” for gas reserves off the West Australian coast and a new gas pipeline from the west to the east coast.

In November the One Nation senator Peter Georgiou called for a uniform royalty of 10% on the wellhead value of gas.

Last week a report in the Australian Financial Review suggested the Coalition had held off announcing a plan to toughen allowable deductions for the PRRT for fear that One Nation would use its votes in support of company tax cuts to leverage bigger changes to raise more revenue from oil and gas companies.

Pauline Hanson.... Smart?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Must have gotten a new puppeteer

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

WeChat has come up a couple of times in this thread. This is an interesting thing about it that others might find interesting too. Or not, it's all good.

Tldr; the conclusion is obvious

quote:

In addition, substantial and credible local news is more crucial than ever for immigrant groups, especially on stories and policy issues prone to misinterpretation and distorted, or informationally incomplete. And these local news need to be accessible—in the right language as well as delivered through the right channels—to the immigrant population. 

Good luck with anything like that happening under the lnp. They've been attacking foreign language public broadcasting for precisely that reason, imho.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 22, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Dude is a Channel 9 news gopher so I'm not shocked he's a moderate shithead.

Just as a reminder that Channel 9 is awful, on Friday, their only coverage of the many situations in Israel was Bibi doing the chicken dance with the Eurovision winner. Whatever one's stance on Israel, there's stuff happening there. The prime minister is under investigation, there's the protests, the increased clashes with Iran, and their coverage is loving whimsy.

Having lovely opinions laced through coverage is one thing, not having any coverage is something else.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
meanwhile the abc's coverage is both-sides bullshit

"yes the israeli forces fired on protesters and that's not very good, but have you considered that the palestinians are still alive despite having been politely asked many times not to be? nobody is innocent here!"

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

asio posted:

to the shitlist the UN has on us.

We're not on a shitlist due to East Timor, we led the United Nations Transitional Administration. We couldn't do poo poo about Indonesia beforehand short of commencing a very dumb war against them.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the abc is loving poison. i think i hate it more than 9 at the moment - at least 9 never claims not to be poo poo, while the abc is still pretending to be a left-wing bastion of culture and democracy even though it's been completely hollowed out and turned into a puppet for the conservative agenda

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
the only good station is nitv

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

this broken hill posted:

the only good station is nitv
RIP channel 44

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Anidav, your husbando is making the news again.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/former-premier-angry-over-bus-crash-traffic-chaos-20180522-p4zgpf.html

quote:

There must be a better way for the Qld Police to deal with a tragic pedestrian death than to shut down the entire northern side of Brisbane and create total and utter chaos extending more than 5km from the CBD

If I get killed by a bus, I'll make sure to make as little of an effect on the traffic as possible Mr Newman!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/Peter_F_Ryan/status/998746371652894720

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:eyepop:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Of course not. She’ll go back to voting for all the things she claims won’t work/the public doesn’t want just as soon as she’s done a bit of hand-wringing in public to appease her voters.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The scene was Shanghai’s Hyatt on the Bund last Thursday night.

Ciobo, the first minister from Malcolm Turnbull’s government to visit China in eight months, had just taken the stage in an attempt to add some balm to recent wounds to the China-Australia relationship.

…the ­visiting minister was hard to make out over the clattering of plates that began, loudly, exactly when he started speaking.

It would have been written off as bad luck if it wasn’t for Ciobo’s “microphone incident” the following night.

The scene was the St Regis Shanghai, the venue for a gala dinner hosted by Gill McLachlan’s AFL before Port Adelaide thumped Gold Coast at Jiangwan Stadium.

…When Ciobo took the stage, a microphone that moments before had worked perfectly for McLachlan became almost inaudible once the Trade Minister stood in front of it.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The scene was a kebab shop early Sunday morning. Steven Ciobo had just opened his mouth to order a large chips when a bus passed noisily outside. He was mistakenly served a reheated slice of hawaiian

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The trail of documents used by Westpac to support a business loan for a failed franchise and led the loan’s guarantor to lose her home were haphazard, inconsistent and incomplete the Hayne royal commission has heard.

It follows earlier hearings on consumer credit and financial services that also highlighted the insufficient and often sloppy approach to record keeping at Westpac and other banks.

The documents tended to the royal commission alternatively show the business had no employees or several employees, with the disability pensioner and the loan’s guarantor Carolyn Flanagan at times listed as one of those employees despite being chronically ill and unable to read or write.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

WeChat has come up a couple of times in this thread. This is an interesting thing about it that others might find interesting too. Or not, it's all good.

Tldr; the conclusion is obvious

Good luck with anything like that happening under the lnp. They've been attacking foreign language public broadcasting for precisely that reason, imho.

People think Facebook is the big fish of fake news but I reckon without a doubt Wechat is much worse.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh man this has got it all, climate denialism, misconduct, lawsuits, echo chambers, fleecing the easily-persuaded readership...

quote:

Climate science denial groups from the UK, U.S. and Australia have leapt to support a controversial marine scientist who was fired from his job at an Australian university.

Dr Peter Ridd, formerly a professor at James Cook University (JCU), was sacked for repeated breaches of his employment’s code of conduct, according to a statement from the University.

Ridd claims that the Great Barrier Reef is “in great shape” and dismisses evidence that human activities including dredging and human-caused global warming have damaged the internationally iconic marine wonder. Back-to-back coral bleaching events linked to record-breaking sea surface temperatures have killed about one third of the reef's corals.

Climate science deniers have afforded Dr Ridd hero status since he took his now-former employer to court over its attempts to censure him.

The university says it censured Ridd for repeated breaches of its Code of Conduct, which among other things asks academics to respect the reputations of colleagues, to act collegially and maintain confidentiality about University business.

Ridd has claimed people should not “trust” the scientific research from the government-funded Australian Institute of Marine Science and the Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies — both of which have staff and offices at JCU.

Last year, after the University again attempted to discipline Ridd, the academic sued his employer and published a stack of confidential legal documents on his website. The documents show multiple requests and warning from the University to Ridd.

Confirming that Ridd had been fired on May 2, the University’s Deputy Vice Chancellor, Professor Iain Gordon, said in a statement that Ridd had

quote:

'... in numerous ways seriously and repeatedly breached the Code of Conduct ... [and that his] ... employment has been terminated on this basis.'

The statement came after Ridd had gone public over his sacking and uploaded more legal documents onto his website.

Ridd has also re-opened a crowdfunding campaign to pay for his legal bills, estimated at $260,000. A previous run of the campaign raised $95,000.

Ridd has complained: “JCU appears to be willing to spend their near unlimited legal resources fighting me”, but the University has pointed out that it was the academic who commenced the legal action.

It's great how this guy has been celebrated as a whistleblower when real whistleblowers are being hunted everywhere.

quote:

Over the weekend, the echo chamber of conservative websites and think tanks that push climate science denial swung into action, urging readers to visit Ridd’s crowdfunding page.

Rather than focus on the alleged breaches of the code of conduct, Ridd and his supporters are attempting to reframe the case around academic freedom, free speech, and scientific integrity.

In the UK, the Global Warming Policy Forum – the campaigning arm of the Global Warming Policy Foundation – reposted an article from The Australian and linked to Ridd’s website.

Breitbart’s UK-based climate science denier James Delingpole wrote that Ridd had been fired for “telling the truth.”

In the U.S, the climate science denying Heartland Institute in its typically understated tone, said Ridd’s firing was 'an international scandal & part of the fight for global free speech'.

U.S.-based climate science denier Anthony Watts, on his WattsUpWithThat website, claimed Ridd was fired 'for having an opinion on climate they didn’t like'.

In Australia, Melbourne’s Institute of Public Affairs (IPA) – a long pusher of climate science denial – has already paid more than $6,000 towards Ridd’s legal fees while helping coordinate his funding campaign. IPA executive director John Roskam and several IPA staffers have been active on social media pushing Ridd’s case.

News Corp Australia commentator Andrew Bolt called for JCU Vice-Chancellor Sandra Harding to also be sacked.

On the conservative-leaning Sky News, Ridd was interviewed on the show Outsiders by host Rowan Dean, who also rejects the science of human-caused climate change.

Dean described Ridd as a “friend of the show” and told him: “You are a brave warrior for free speech and more importantly a scientist prepared to buck the all pervasive current zeitgeist about climate change and what we call the climate change hoax.”

Ridd, whose JCU laboratory used to consult for major coal terminal projects, claims to have checked his fellow scientists' claims about the impacts of dredging, nutrient run-off, and climate change on the health of the Great Barrier reef, and has found it wanting.

Except that scientists at the Australian Institute of Marine Science have rubbished Ridd’s so-called critiques.

Ridd’s case against JCU has been adjourned until 9 June.

Oh, curse that naughty zeitgeist, it is SO POWERFUL.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Behold the crystal ball of the future:

Bloomberg posted:

A divided U.S. Supreme Court ruled that employers can force workers to use individual arbitration instead of class-action lawsuits to press legal claims.

How long until this becomes a talking point in Aus?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Isn't that how you would describe fwa for non EBA employees?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The great barrier reef is in great shape.

Oh good, my laundry is done.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

ewe2 posted:

Oh man this has got it all, climate denialism, misconduct, lawsuits, echo chambers, fleecing the easily-persuaded readership...

I really wish they’d replace the phrase “climate science denial group” with “a pack of tremendous fuckheads” in order to maintain journalistic truth in reporting.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Dude McAwesome posted:

I really wish they’d replace the phrase “climate science denial group” with “a pack of tremendous fuckheads” in order to maintain journalistic truth in reporting.
For real though, they should avoid the term "skeptic" because they're not skeptics, they're being paid to push corporate propaganda they know is BS.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

snoremac posted:

For real though, they should avoid the term "skeptic" because they're not skeptics, they're being paid to push corporate propaganda they know is BS.

Agreed.

“Fossil fuel industry lobby group” perhaps.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Peter Dutton, you have no loving moral high ground to talk about kids in detention centres you dishonest piece of garbage.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

ewe2 posted:

It's great how this guy has been celebrated as a whistleblower when real whistleblowers are being hunted everywhere.

Last year I attended a talk given by a professor from JCU who has spent decades studying the reef, and more recently in particular on the effects of increasing water temperatures on coral growth, or lack thereof. His talk was really informative (and depressing) and I’m glad he doesn’t have work at the same place as this dickhead anymore.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Clive Palmer is planning on building Adani 2: Electric Boogaloo.

quote:

Palmer’s company Waratah Coal has announced plans for the new mine in the Galilee basin, adjoining Adani’s proposed Carmichael project. The footprint of Alpha North would be nearly triple that Adani’s mine. It would be 144,000 hectares and 130km long and would use open-cut and underground methods.

The mine would produce 80m tonnes of coal a year and is expected to start operations in 2030.

Given the rapidly decreasing price of renewables how on earth are they assuming that coal will be price competitive in 12 years time?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Given the rapidly decreasing price of renewables how on earth are they assuming that coal will be price competitive in 12 years time?

No one in their right mind would give him the money to do that.

*Checks latest updates from the Banking Royal Commission*

Oh...

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Met coal is pretty high at the moment. Thermal coal is not doing too bad. Given most accountants cant see more than a fiscal year ahead, makes perfect sense.

It's a pie in the sky mine along with Adani. The real threat isn't global warming or our impending (and deserved) doom, it's the other coal companies who can see a rerun of the bust where coal prices tanked due to a monster oversupply. They wont tolerate that poo poo behind the scenes.

Wouldn't surprise me if he saw Adani's trick - as long as Carmichael is on the books, Adani is technically solvent. As soon as they wipe it from the books, Adani is in deep poo poo.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
there's no way clive palmer will still be alive in 2030

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

this broken hill posted:

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

this broken hill posted:

Did that piece of poo poo end up paying his refinery workers? Or did his pretense at illness shield him from any responsibility there?

• Locked thread