Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SupSuper posted:

the only good things about the updates are the ones they never bother to document anywhere and you only run into them months later and go "oh that's cool" (eg. you can finally change the default audio device on an app-by-app basis)

clearly they must keep them hidden to not get wiped out by management

It's a great new feature, but goddamn is that UI amateur hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jfc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lambert posted:

what the gently caress? did someone try to build it with css or something?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
at least the app volume sliders finally go from 0 to 100

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
1) Hops on exercise bike and opens up Windows laptop to play some drat poker
2) Oh, the lovely poker client with no error recovery requires a machine restart
3) Oh, restart needs to update the OS as well. This shouldn't take look on my tricked out ultrabook from this year.
4) Goes 30 minutes into work out staring at blue screen
5) Wins sit and go, still mad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wide stance posted:

1) Hops on exercise bike and opens up Windows laptop to play some drat poker
2) Oh, the lovely poker client with no error recovery requires a machine restart
3) Oh, restart needs to update the OS as well. This shouldn't take look on my tricked out ultrabook from this year.
4) Goes 30 minutes into work out staring at blue screen
5) Wins sit and go, still mad

go outside

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol when did so.cl get shut down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hey, we noticed you unpinned and uninstalled all our promoted modern apps, whoops! we helpfully installed them all again

p.s. gently caress you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lambert posted:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

seriously, if you’re not going to go outside in may then what exactly are you waiting for

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Lambert posted:

W    H    I    T    E    S    P    A    C    E

pram
Jun 10, 2001

graph posted:

lol when did so.cl get shut down

when pleasure kevin stopped posting on so.cl engagement dropped 78%

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

then keep going until you find an employer who respects your time enough to give you a good computer

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

W    H    I    T    E    S    P    A    C    E

App
Volume

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lambert posted:

it's a weird reflow issue (for one it should of course reflow in some more sensible arrangement, but it also seems to reflow way too soon for the space available)

i also managed to reliably crash my gpu driver by repeatedly resizing the window at the point of reflow ;D

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Even then, everything is misaligned. Just look at the Output/Input titles. Or the alignment of Volume.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The text also seems to be scrambled as well?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lambert posted:

Even then, everything is misaligned. Just look at the Output/Input titles. Or the alignment of Volume.

no, yeah, it is a shambles design (make one wonder if there really were some mistake made in what shipped), but the reflow is egregious enough to make it actually difficult to at all understand

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

for a prime example open the task scheduler

omg, this is literally how it starts up

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

omg, this is literally how it starts up

Y
o
u
c
a
n

What can I do Task Scheduler? What?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

outside of weird reflow things, they managed to fix a bunch of edge interface jankiness in this update (yes, i use it, the battery savings are actually worth it), but then decided to make it impossible (in any less than ideal viewing circumstances at least) to tell which is the active tab:

and this is with (the horrible vista-throwback) acrylic *off*, with acrylic on you add a bunch of other stuff showing through making it even less obvious

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Chalks posted:

Y
o
u
c
a
n

What can I do Task Scheduler? What?

Y
o
u
c
a
n
't cut back on funding! You will regret this!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Against my better judgment I updated windows 10 yesterday and now middle click on my ThinkPad will no longer open new tabs. It forces it to bring up that scroll up and down arrow thing now. The option to change this is now completely missing from the mouse options

I also now get these random black rectangles in Chrome. They scroll with the page so whatever it blocks out cannot be seen unless I refresh the page.

Neither of these things happened before the update

*sighs and boots up gpedit.smc*

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also I tried to get money from the atm the other day and it was stuck on this screen for ten minutes before I gave up

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is this the gnome volume control? for whatever reason on the install of fedora i was using that top bar of tabs had a scrollbar hiding literally one extra tab that happened to contain the audio device switcher that i needed to make the audio work. admittedly I'm a loving idiot but that legit took me almost an hour to figure out. that windows one is ugly as sin but i don't think i would have wasted that much time on it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

is this the gnome volume control? for whatever reason on the install of fedora i was using that top bar of tabs had a scrollbar hiding literally one extra tab that happened to contain the audio device switcher that i needed to make the audio work. admittedly I'm a loving idiot but that legit took me almost an hour to figure out. that windows one is ugly as sin but i don't think i would have wasted that much time on it

no, this is PulseAudio Volume Control. the GNOME audio settings control panel is a simplified version that doesn't have per-application audio routing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Against my better judgment I updated windows 10 yesterday and now middle click on my ThinkPad will no longer open new tabs. It forces it to bring up that scroll up and down arrow thing now. The option to change this is now completely missing from the mouse options

I also now get these random black rectangles in Chrome. They scroll with the page so whatever it blocks out cannot be seen unless I refresh the page.

Neither of these things happened before the update

*sighs and boots up gpedit.smc*

well one of those things is your touchpad driver getting updated/resetting your button assignments, which you could probably change back in one of the control panels, maybe, because you have a thinkpad and odds are it's got some garbage fire synaptics piece of poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

well one of those things is your touchpad driver getting updated/resetting your button assignments, which you could probably change back in one of the control panels, maybe, because you have a thinkpad and odds are it's got some garbage fire synaptics piece of poo poo

Yeah but it's not resetting it, it literally removes the option to make the middle click do something else. The option is completely gone

I tried three different Synaptics drivers and none of them brought it back. I was finally able to get it to behave the way I want by a registry edit lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

outside of weird reflow things, they managed to fix a bunch of edge interface jankiness in this update (yes, i use it, the battery savings are actually worth it), but then decided to make it impossible (in any less than ideal viewing circumstances at least) to tell which is the active tab:

and this is with (the horrible vista-throwback) acrylic *off*, with acrylic on you add a bunch of other stuff showing through making it even less obvious

the active tab is opaque and all other tabs are acrylic so its real obvious which is active if you have a light window/background behind edge, but otherwise the active tab is just darker. If you use the edge light theme the difference between the active tab and inactive tabs is way more apparent. a lighter grey for inactive tabs would probably be too bright so they need to come up with some other visual indicator on the dark theme.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the active tab is opaque and all other tabs are acrylic so its real obvious which is active if you have a light window/background behind edge, but otherwise the active tab is just darker. If you use the edge light theme the difference between the active tab and inactive tabs is way more apparent. a lighter grey for inactive tabs would probably be too bright so they need to come up with some other visual indicator on the dark theme.

issue is that i will likely have a mostly black background behind them (another black-themed window frame), possibly with some small colors to make it doubly confusing

that really is worse than the last version, luckily edge seems otherwise improved

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Also I tried to get money from the atm the other day and it was stuck on this screen for ten minutes before I gave up

pwned

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

no, yeah, it is a shambles design (make one wonder if there really were some mistake made in what shipped), but the reflow is egregious enough to make it actually difficult to at all understand
if you wanna see some real shambles try scrolling the apps & features list

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

issue is that i will likely have a mostly black background behind them (another black-themed window frame), possibly with some small colors to make it doubly confusing

that really is worse than the last version, luckily edge seems otherwise improved

the address bar autocomplete is way faster.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
does anyone at microsoft know that this is how people interact with their operation system https://twitter.com/DOM_Frederic/status/998731853669584896

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if u don't want to see update reminders, then keep ur poo poo up to date.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbf it's because all these display systems are just hacked together poo poo that no one manages or maintains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guarantee that doestop has a 10-year old vnc client and a free teamviewer instance on it at minimum

probably a 2-year old copy of avg free not for commercial use and adaware