Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I went all the way out (10 mile detour) to a Wal-Mart after work yesterday and while they didn't have Thanos, they actually did have the full Sasquatch wave minus Cable. Sadly, Cable is the only figure left from that wave that I want.

On the plus side, found a guy that sold me Agent Venom and the new Thanos for $50 shipped, both in box and sealed, so... win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Marriage Night posted:

Finally got my Jane Foster pop I've been wanting.

Also, while stocking the Neandoroids or whatever they called, I finally saw who the hell it is in Guy Goodbody's avatar.

hell yeah

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I see Rob Liefeld did the feet sculp.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nendoroids are poo poo.

Except for like Wind Waker Link and Kirby maybe.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you like Monsters I think the Monsters nendos are pretty good

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Endless Mike posted:

Nendoroids are poo poo.

Except for like Wind Waker Link and Kirby maybe.

Those are literally the two that I own...until July, that is.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So I got that Stage Act 4 in the mail like 30 minutes ago and whipped this up. I'm assuming in the world of action figure photography it's not kosher to just use Google Image Search and throw a background on a tv as a backdrop, but this is just for fun.

Why did they make Rogue's eyes so far apart? In addition to the X-gene does she have some extra chromosomes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They don't have the best face sculpts for female characters.

The Cyclops/Phoenix 2 pack Jean from last year ,is good, but then like the new Psylocke has eyes that seem too far apart again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nanigans posted:

Those are literally the two that I own...until July, that is.

OH poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

They don't have the best face sculpts for female characters.

The Cyclops/Phoenix 2 pack Jean from last year ,is good, but then like the new Psylocke has eyes that seem too far apart again.

I dunno, I think my Rogue looks great, and they’ve been knocking it out of the park with a lot of female face sculpts IMO. My favorite to date is ML Black Cat.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

davebo posted:

I'm assuming in the world of action figure photography it's not kosher to just use Google Image Search and throw a background on a tv as a backdrop, but this is just for fun.

If you're talking actual ACBA, nope, that's totally kosher. A lot of guys do that, actually. Most of the time it's good to add some physical foreground elements to add depth, like in that first one you could throw in some flame effects by her feet or something.

The main thing is hiding stands. Without Photoshop. The point is to achieve the illusion of life in their own little properly scaled world. Photoshop effects are out, they like practical special effects since it takes more thought and effort. Same for lighting. Using a monitor for the background is totally okay.

Example:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why are those lamps wrapped in foil?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Why are those lamps wrapped in foil?

Probably to prevent light leaks

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Probably to prevent light leaks

This.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So where is the stand there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooooh. I figured maybe it was to contain heat or something since you'd have lights on for long periods of time while taking pics.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

So where is the stand there?

Balancing and wax on the feet.

Most of the guys use Babybel cheese wax... like literally that red wax that the cheese comes in. It softens easily, hardens easily, is sticky as hell, and stays pretty rigid. Also doesn't leave residue on the figure. A lot of guys also have rigged up more solid peg stands when the figures are standing, but yeah... there are lots of engineering tricks at play.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 20, 2018

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

I was debating whether to track down SH Figuarts Cell, and then someone showed me the figurerise model kit, and well the difference is night and day for me at least. And there's even a SSJ2 Gohan too

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, other than Krillin, the scale on them is way off if you have SHF.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I can sell the 2 figuarts I have and get maybe 4 kits though, I have a ton of lacquer hobby paints from gunpla. I like the proportions in the model kits better too. I haven't seen their Frieza in person but I'm going to assume it comes with better posing options.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ka0 posted:

I can sell the 2 figuarts I have and get maybe 4 kits though, I have a ton of lacquer hobby paints from gunpla. I like the proportions in the model kits better too. I haven't seen their Frieza in person but I'm going to assume it comes with better posing options.

Er, better than SHF? Nope. None of the Figure-Rises have articulation as good as their SHF counterparts. The Frieza works alright for a bulked out maximum power version, though. The joints are much more visible on them, mainly at the elbows, too. Personal preference, but yeah, secondary market for SHF is stupid for some figures, so you need to just decide which line you want and run with it... SHF will run you way more, also because there's 3x the number of figures.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I've got the Figurise Buu and Cell cos those boys being huge and out of scale isn't as big a deal for me and my Figuarts Cell is floppy as hell. Figurise Goku doesn't have that bicep tech though!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I only have the Android 17 and 18 which are about on scale with the other characters other then their heads being a bit big. Then again that was the case in the anime too.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

They announced a third Cell release for the Dragonball North America Tour event. He's got the manga colors. Also a third Broly recolor, similar to SDCC colors but a little more muted. There will also be a Vegito Blue recolor and a white aura tamashii effect. I already have OG Cell and Vegito so I have no interest in those, but it's a good chance to get my hands on a Broly and the white aura would be nice for whenever I track down a decently priced Ultimate Gohan. There's still one stop to be announced but it looks like the tour is going to start at SDCC and then go to D.C., Toronto, Portland, NYC, Dallas and then whatever the last stop is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Yer a Figuarts, Harry."

https://twitter.com/Toyark/status/998893739367124992

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JoeGlassJAw posted:

They announced a third Cell release for the Dragonball North America Tour event. He's got the manga colors. Also a third Broly recolor, similar to SDCC colors but a little more muted. There will also be a Vegito Blue recolor and a white aura tamashii effect. I already have OG Cell and Vegito so I have no interest in those, but it's a good chance to get my hands on a Broly and the white aura would be nice for whenever I track down a decently priced Ultimate Gohan. There's still one stop to be announced but it looks like the tour is going to start at SDCC and then go to D.C., Toronto, Portland, NYC, Dallas and then whatever the last stop is.

Yeah, I'm hoping I can get a Broly and White effect from someone that's going. An SSB Vegito would be cool, but I have the original, as well.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping I can get a Broly and White effect from someone that's going. An SSB Vegito would be cool, but I have the original, as well.

Check any local Barnes and Nobel, they tend to have both Figuarts and Figure-rise. One of mine has Android 17, 18, Cell and Broly in Figure-rise.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Anora posted:

Check any local Barnes and Nobel, they tend to have both Figuarts and Figure-rise. One of mine has Android 17, 18, Cell and Broly in Figure-rise.

The figure-rise kits are pretty ubiquitous, I think Fuzz is looking for Figuarts. The ones I posted are event exclusive and won't show up at Barnes and Noble. I check in to my local stores pretty regularly and their stock isn't super up to date. It's pretty unlikely you'll find much outside of the Xenoverse figures, which nobody wants and they can't get off the shelves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm going to Toronto in August/September, but I suppose they won't be as easy as having a booth where you can buy them. I'm not a Dragon Ball person (their faces are all the same!) so I don't think I could do a queue for that.

There is no "Plano Event Center" in Toronto, but I assume they're at the Fanexpo event itself.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

I'm going to Toronto in August/September, but I suppose they won't be as easy as having a booth where you can buy them. I'm not a Dragon Ball person (their faces are all the same!) so I don't think I could do a queue for that.

There is no "Plano Event Center" in Toronto, but I assume they're at the Fanexpo event itself.

Hey come on, their faces aren't all the same. One guy's green and another one doesn't have a nose.

Also somebody had a scar.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

JoeGlassJAw posted:

The figure-rise kits are pretty ubiquitous, I think Fuzz is looking for Figuarts. The ones I posted are event exclusive and won't show up at Barnes and Noble. I check in to my local stores pretty regularly and their stock isn't super up to date. It's pretty unlikely you'll find much outside of the Xenoverse figures, which nobody wants and they can't get off the shelves.

Correct. I collect SHF, not the model kits. My current list:

Vegeta 2.0
Super Vegeta 2.0
SSB Vegeta
Super Saiyan Perfect Color Vegeta
Custom Namek saga Vegeta
Goku God
Goku Blue
Goku Awakening
Krillin
Nappa
Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Perfect Cell Premium Color
Piccolo
Teen Gohan
Battle damaged Gohan
Ultimate Gohan
Final Form Frieza
Perfect Color Trunks
Vegetto
Beerus
Whis
Tienshinhan
Yamcha
Kid Goku

Have Majin Vegeta, Bulma, Perfect Color Frieza, Goku 2.0, and Roshi on the way. Goku Black is in Amazon limbo, unfortunately, but we'll see. On the fence with Majin Buu, but will probably get him. Same for Gotenks.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Hasbro got toy rights for Overwatch, and LEGO sets are coming.

http://www.figures.com/2018/05/22/hasbro-awarded-overwatch-master-toy-license-lego-sets-also-on-the-way/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So much for that Figma line getting completed (:laffo: at the idea of Figma completing a line). Unless the rights aren't international?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Licensing rights are not an all or nothing thing nor can one licensing deal be used as an example for another. It depends entirely on the companies involved.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fuzz posted:

So much for that Figma line getting completed (:laffo: at the idea of Figma completing a line). Unless the rights aren't international?

If they are Marvel Legends/Star Wars Black scale then that would be great. At least there is a chance for a DVA Meka or Bastion now either with a BAF or a deluxe set like the Dewback.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Hasbro has the master Marvel license and there's still tons of non-Hasbro Marvel products, including figmas. Star Wars too.

It's probably like a right of refusal thing I guess? Hasbro doesn't make building sets, so let Lego have a contract. Maybe they don't consider Figma stuff competition to their product lines.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

A few previews of this weekends Tamashi-Con.

Pretty pumped for that Dooku and looks like Yoda may be on the horizon too!

I've got my fingers crossed for Marvel Comic figuarts, but most seem to think it'll be more movie / samurai figs

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've got my fingers crossed for Marvel Comic figuarts, but most seem to think it'll be more movie / samurai figs

I doubt they'll get in on the comic designs since Kaiyodo already has their hands on it, but I guess like Endless Mike said licensing isn't all or nothing so maybe there's hope. I'd certainly prefer figuarts over revoltech. The revoltech stuff is stylish but just not really my bag in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More detailed release confirms Good Smile is still on.

quote:

Overwatch: With a player base of 40 million¹, Overwatch’s wide appeal continues to drive a robust merchandising program supported by new and returning partners including: Hasbro (Master Toy); NERF (Blasters); LEGO Group (Construction); UNIQLO (Apparel); Bioworld International (Bags, Accessories); Spirit Halloween (Costumes); Disguise (Costumes); Brown Trout (Calendars); Insight Editions (Stationery, Cookbook); Trends (Posters, Sticker Packs); Just Toys (Sticker Books); Good Smile Company (Figures); Razer (PC Peripherals); J!nx (Apparel, Accessories); Dark Horse (Artbook); Funko (Apparel, Bags, Home Accessories, Figures); and Scholastic (Books).
http://news.toyark.com/2018/05/22/overwatch-and-spyro-getting-new-toys-activision-announces-license-agreements-300168