Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Memories of Celceta is the only Ys with that kind of shortcut. Mostly they go in for teleports.

VIII has it too kinda. From what I remember it's been a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

I've always understood "action RPG" to mean an RPG that is more skill-based and more oriented around direct character control than other RPGs which are more about gear and stats. In one of those you can punch above your weight with sufficient practice and luck, in the other the fights are deliberately rigged to be unwinnable if you don't have the prereqs yet. Like how sl1 runs of Dark Souls are now pretty common but there are a lot of games in which failing to level will eventually roadblock you because you literally cannot damage the enemies.

Crystalis on NES was a great game but had the horrible issue of making it really easy to wind up facing a boss you couldn't damage at all due to not being sufficiently leveled and having to die. Eventually the best strategy about halfway through the game is to just grind out to max level (which you need to beat the game anyway, the last two bosses require it) in like 20 minutes before continuing onwards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Action RPG means enter dungeon click monsters real fast get loot.

Anything else is just a regular old RPG.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just call Diablo clones Diablo clones and call everything else action RPGs imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Diablers

Click-em-ups

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I LOVE Diablo clones because I love Diablo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Falcom got a little closer to Diablo 1 with Xanadu Next.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they're called diabloesques

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Any game that takes a million hours to finish with a longass story and cutscenes is basically the opposite of an action RPG, by definition.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think more than defining "action-RPG," I'm interested in defining just what "RPG" even means anymore in terms of video games. Now that almost every game has experience points and skill trees and poo poo, what makes something count as an RPG nowadays?

I'd guess it's some combination of:
- The ratio of player skill vs. characters' numbers in determining how things go, and
- The degree of control the player has over the characters' numbers.

But I have no idea where exactly the line is drawn anymore. Are RPGs just one of those "you know it when you see it" things, I guess?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

they're called diabloesques

Diabblegangers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Any game that takes a million hours to finish with a longass story and cutscenes is basically the opposite of an action RPG, by definition.

Ys games before 7 are like 6 hours long which is why they're perfect

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Diablikes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Diablikes

e: :kratos:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think more than defining "action-RPG," I'm interested in defining just what "RPG" even means anymore in terms of video games. Now that almost every game has experience points and skill trees and poo poo, what makes something count as an RPG nowadays?

- The ratio of player skill vs. characters' numbers in determining how things go, and

But I have no idea where exactly the line is drawn anymore. Are RPGs just one of those "you know it when you see it" things, I guess?
its meaningless, rpg just means its a game that has numbers in it

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Diabl-em-ups

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how few devils and/or demons can a game have before it ceases to be a true Dittoablo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Diabling simulator

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

skelepeggle

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

I am more or less an RPG literalist when it comes to meaningless distinctions like these and would personally define an RPG as "any game where the player character expresses a distinct role within the game world." So if there are some trendy mechanics like skill trees, crafting, stats and loot in the game that doesn't necessarily mean it's an RPG to me. Assassin's Creed Origins isn't a roleplaying game just becase Bayek has some dialogue choices and unlocks chained shot at level 5 or whatever, he's always an assassin. There have to be distinct character classes, jobs, whatever the game wants to call them to really inhabit a role and therefore make it an RPG. So Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher, Zelda -- just action-adventure games, not RPGs. Diablo, Final Fantasy, Divinity -- all under the spectrum of RPGs.

This is my completely arbitrary and useless definition, thanks for listening folks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Delightfully diablesque, Seymore!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Diablerize

Also I feel like an rpg is more or less just a case-by-case "you'll know it when you see it" thing. It's hard to come up with any one particular definition that is both short, simple, and not filled to the brim with so many exceptions that it makes you wonder what the point of the definition is in the first place.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I hope people figure it out soon because it sucks getting excited to hear about a new action rpg but they're just talking about another game like diablo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just assume all action rpgs are not loot-based diablo-esque titles until proven otherwise.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Just assume all action rpgs are not loot-based diablo-esque titles until proven otherwise.

I have the exact opposite experience, where I can just assume most people are talking about diablo like games when they say it because they usually are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I hope people figure it out soon because it sucks getting excited to hear about a new action rpg but they're just talking about another game like diablo.

Same but when you hear there's a new "action" RPG and it's another 100+ hour plodding monstrosity with walls o' dialogue.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think the distinction came as to distinguish action rpgs (arpg) from traditional turn-based computer rpgs (crpgs), also known as western rpgs (wrpgs). if your frame of reference for all role playing games is japanese rpgs (jrpgs) or massively multiplayer rpgs (mmorpgs), then you're going to be confused rpgs (also crpgs).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So what makes a game action-adventure vs plain action or plain adventure?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FirstAidKite posted:

Diablerize

Also I feel like an rpg is more or less just a case-by-case "you'll know it when you see it" thing. It's hard to come up with any one particular definition that is both short, simple, and not filled to the brim with so many exceptions that it makes you wonder what the point of the definition is in the first place.

I’d say every game is an rpg nowadays. The exceptions are games where you need to git gud like bayonetta, platformers, twin stick shooters, etc. if you can grind to trivialize the game then it probably falls under some rpg bucket.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I would say action-adventure games are defined by a dedicated balance of story, combat and characters and the other two genres emphasize one of these aspects to the near or total exclusion of the others. Most well-known single player titles that are released these days fall under the general banner of action-adventure, it's very much an umbrella term.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jay Rust posted:

Well an adventure game is like a point-and-click Maniac Mansion Kings Quest kind of thing. I don’t know what a straight action game is. A brawler, I guess???

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Adventure is when you don't necessarily have much in the way of high stakes for the player (not necessarily the game itself, but the player generally isn't expected to have to be really good at controls to get around in an adventure game because an adventure game partially takes place in the player's mind) whereas an action title is something that requires far more input from the player and a higher degree of skill in order to advance through the game, whereas an action-adventure seems to be the kind of game that isn't a full-on adventure title but isn't a full-on action title either, hitting a sorta of middle-ground between the two where the player is given tools they have to learn to use and excel at to accomplish tasks, but also have to learn how to puzzle out what the game wants them to do in their head so that they can succeed in advancing through the game.

imo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Same but when you hear there's a new "action" RPG and it's another 100+ hour plodding monstrosity with walls o' dialogue.

That's the good kind

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think it's a shame when there is an rpg with really entertaining writing that is held back by really awful gameplay.

Basically I'm saying that I wish Okage: Shadow King didn't play the way it does because god drat does that game have charm out the rear end and also god drat do I not want to sit through all the awful gameplay of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If all games were legally required to wrap up their stories by Hour 25 I don't think a whole lot would be lost, all things considered.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My brother got me Okage for my birthday, mistaking it for Okami.

I think i died during the tutorial fight because I tried the Defend command once instead if just attacking nonstop. Might be misremembering but yeah

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Long games are cool

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Games can only be described as very anime or slightly anime. Any other qualifiers are meaningless.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Something interesting is Witcher 3's main story is about 50 hours but doing side quests can bump it up to 100, whereas (according to howlongtobeat.com) Persona 5's main story is 100 hours but 110 with the side content.

If you absolutely have to make a long rear end game I prefer the first version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Games can only be described as very anime or slightly anime. Any other qualifiers are meaningless.

which one is monster high

• Locked thread