Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Literally every one who dropped the bar on themselves said the same thing though, no one benches if they think "yep definitely don't have a solid grip on this".

Can you set some pins or something to chest level so you don't get dead on us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There's a rack at work that has safety bars that I use for benching, so if it dropped it would land on that. Still don't have gym membership.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
People who worry about thumbless bench grip should probably just not bench because it isn’t more dangerous per rep either way. Grip failure is responsible for almost none of the catastrophic injuries, tearing a pec or a shoulder joint failing and causing someone to dump it on their face is. Suicide grip is fine

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Khorne posted:

YOU'RE TRYING TO LEAD A CARRIAGE WITHOUT A HORSE IF YOU AREN'T DOING NEGATIVES

But seriously, you are forced to do a negative if you are moving any real weight in compound lifts. If you try to dodge the negative on a bench you're either going to gently caress up your shoulders or your chest. If you try to dodge a negative on squats, you're entering the world of potential problems and inconsistent lifts rear end-first.

Deadlift is a bit of an exception. I could say some total bullshit like "holding it at lockout is like a negative", but you can dodge the negatives on deadlifts I guess. I know I do at heavier weights because I suck at dl negatives.

Also, hypertrophy is good for strength. Sorry I can't provide a citation for this wild claim.

i dunno much but when people talk about negatives i think they're like talking about specifically focusing on lowering it slowly instead of just normally doing the exercise? i do the last few reps of curls super slow because it just feels better for some reason. dunno if it's helping or not.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Time posted:

People who worry about thumbless bench grip should probably just not bench because it isn’t more dangerous per rep either way. Grip failure is responsible for almost none of the catastrophic injuries, tearing a pec or a shoulder joint failing and causing someone to dump it on their face is. Suicide grip is fine

i've seen more then one person drop the bar on themselves benching with a suicide grip, and it had nothing to do with their shoulder or chest giving out

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lactose Is Wack posted:

i've seen more then one person drop the bar on themselves benching with a suicide grip, and it had nothing to do with their shoulder or chest giving out

Congrats on lifting during the special ed gym period at school

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Time posted:

Congrats on lifting during the special ed gym period at school

I mean yeah totally, there sure aren't hundreds of videos on YouTube of people dropping the bar on themselves when using suicide grip. No siree

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Suicide grip is like squatting with the bar on your wrists instead of shoulders, or deadlifting with a rounded back: it’s not the proper form for the exercise and leads to injuries :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DoubleT2172 posted:

I mean yeah totally, there sure aren't hundreds of videos on YouTube of people dropping the bar on themselves when using suicide grip. No siree

Post them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sassassin posted:

Post them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nux_GQk6lsI

Spotter rolled it out of his hands lol.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

DoubleT2172 posted:

You can find just as many videos of people failing with their thumbs around the bar. You can find a ton of videos of failing with safety pins up.

The non-glib answer is this- if you can bench with your thumb around the bar without intense shoulder, elbow, wrist, or other pain then yes, you should do that because why wouldn’t you. When having your thumb around the bar makes doing the lift impossible then go ahead and go thumbless because your other option is not doing any pressing work at all. The added risk is so negligible and only the most risk averse people in the world (online forums full of anxious goons) spend time worrying about it.

Fwiw: I got hosed up really bad in the army and they sent me to the Mayo Clinic to rehab in house and they had me doing suicide grip once pressing was back on the table

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Khorne posted:

Also, hypertrophy is good for strength. Sorry I can't provide a citation for this wild claim.

Dr Mike has a great bit where he asks students how what determines who is strongest. They usually outsmart themselves and say stuff like "neural adaptation, genetics, technique" to which his reply is "It's who has the biggest muscles, you fuckin' idiots!"

Also the eccentric (negative) portion of the lift does promote hypertrophy a lot but that just means don't do poo poo like olympic lifts or drop weights after every rep if you want to be a bodybuilder

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Time posted:

I've dropped the bar a couple times and it starts with a wrist-flinch which seems to come on because of fatigue in the wrist/forearm

Although I know a guy who had his radius or ulna (I forget which) snap during a bench press and it hosed him up pretty good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wrists are more likely to flinch when using a thumbed grip. Thumbless you're not under the same pressure to keep your wrists straight.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

What about bulldog grip

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I banged my knee on the coffee table two hours ago and it still hurts. No gym for me, then.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've never felt even close to dropping the bar or losing my grip, with normal or suicide. Failures have always been not being able to the get bar up after I carefully lower it down. I started to try using suicide grip because my thumbs hurt with normal grip, and now use it because it feels more natural and better even if my thumbs would allow normal grip again.

You could go the gym and bench or do chin ups or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I could imagine losing your grip with a football or swiss bar and your hand/arm just getting maimed in the process

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I swear to god, by the time I'm done with my Friday workout I'm thinking about nothing except two rest days where I can take 1.5 hour naps on each.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It really is a nice feeling, when at the end of a workout you feel you did everything you could. Doing more would be too much. On this day, or for this short time at least you were the best you could be.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

drugs are amazing. there's a guy in the gym who's gone from being an awkward twink to a loving muscle god in a couple of months. like i didn't recognize him at first :eyepop:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sassassin posted:

I banged my knee on the coffee table two hours ago and it still hurts. No gym for me, then.

Something that's worked great for me in the past for bangs and bruises like that is going to the gym anyway and telling myself I'm just going to do my warmups.

Usually it stops hurting by the end and I lift my weights anyway, but even if you don't do that, I bet the light activity helps.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

MikeCrotch posted:

Dr Mike has a great bit where he asks students how what determines who is strongest. They usually outsmart themselves and say stuff like "neural adaptation, genetics, technique" to which his reply is "It's who has the biggest muscles, you fuckin' idiots!"

Also the eccentric (negative) portion of the lift does promote hypertrophy a lot but that just means don't do poo poo like olympic lifts or drop weights after every rep if you want to be a bodybuilder

that just aint true tho

bigger muscles dont mean more strength

ive seen plenty of smaller dudes be super strong

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Maybe it’s whoever has the most efficient origins and insertions

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

Something that's worked great for me in the past for bangs and bruises like that is going to the gym anyway and telling myself I'm just going to do my warmups.

Usually it stops hurting by the end and I lift my weights anyway, but even if you don't do that, I bet the light activity helps.

I envy people who can train through innocuous pains without things getting much much worse and being forced to stop training for months as a result.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sassassin posted:

I envy people who can train through innocuous pains without things getting much much worse and being forced to stop training for months as a result.

I was more trying to describe a zero-budget facsimile of physical therapy, but maybe you need the real thing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

drugs are amazing. there's a guy in the gym who's gone from being an awkward twink to a loving muscle god in a couple of months. like i didn't recognize him at first :eyepop:

yeah that kinda scares me if its indeed that quick

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What’s the go to stack these days?
I see giant kids in the gym now and when I was at school it was deca/tren/test iirc. Most those boys are saggy as poo poo now but one is some bodybuilding comp winner and genuinely impressive

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
guys I'm getting better at picking things up and putting things down and today I'm wearing something that for a good year I couldn't fit into comfortably

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doc Hawkins posted:

I was more trying to describe a zero-budget facsimile of physical therapy, but maybe you need the real thing.

I should really go see about getting shoulder surgery.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gonna dig the slingshot out of some moving boxes and bench stupid poo poo this week

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
new lessons learned today

lesson 1: try to avoid working out on less than 4 hours sleep
lesson 2: if lesson 1 doesn't stick, don't make it a leg day

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Fartbox posted:

that just aint true tho

bigger muscles dont mean more strength

ive seen plenty of smaller dudes be super strong

Bigger muscles are related to strength but there's lots of stuff going in in what we call strength. If your muscles that are visible are really big but the support muscles are weak, and you try to do some real world feat of strength, someone with smaller visible muscles can be better at it than you. If you train in a way that gives you little body awareness or coordination, same thing. Having a strong back is more important 99% of the time than having big biceps but many people don't train with that in mind, etc.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

Bigger muscles are related to strength but there's lots of stuff going in in what we call strength. If your muscles that are visible are really big but the support muscles are weak, and you try to do some real world feat of strength, someone with smaller visible muscles can be better at it than you. If you train in a way that gives you little body awareness or coordination, same thing. Having a strong back is more important 99% of the time than having big biceps but many people don't train with that in mind, etc.

shut UP dweeb!!!!!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Lol yeah you nerd! #justlift #salamibois

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Gonna dig the slingshot out of some moving boxes and bench stupid poo poo this week

I've been wanting to get one of these to use as a T2 exercise on AtS or whatever but I dunno if I should wait and "save it" so to speak. My bench max is still hovering somewhere between 215-225 probably.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm about to hit a single plate on bench press. Salami gainz irl.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I'm about to hit a single plate on bench press. Salami gainz irl.

The sense of accomplishment you'll feel when benching 135 for reps becomes a reality.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

benzine posted:

The sense of accomplishment you'll feel when benching 135 for reps becomes a reality.

Yeah, "I started going to the gym today" is a big morale booster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Some of us skinny manlets have to start out small, sir!