Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

infinite oxygene

Jean Michel-Jarre in the hizzouse.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

quote:

"I can't blame CIG"...

Yes, yes you can. When a company goes back on its original pitch in order to make more money, you can and should absolutely blame them.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zaphod42 posted:

Its pretty obvious how half-baked these designs are. He says you'd care about permadeath because you become attached to your character's appearance, and then immediately contradicts himself by saying you can just make another character that looks the same.

Then when they get into the details of respawning its like "yeah we haven't gotten to that part yet..."

Game design comes last after graphics.

It will be more deadly than CoD, but also somehow pointless.

Your purchased ships can be permanently lost if there is no insurance or LTI on them, but also the insurance mechanic is unknown. Also I'd want to be the customer service rep taking calls from angry nerds who spent thousands and lost it in a buggy landing or glitch.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Titanic posted:

Tends to happen when people go down on me like it's the last thing they'll do. :colbert:

I read that 1503 people went down on The Titanic.... more or less at the same time! :hfive:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

Game design comes last after graphics.

It will be more deadly than CoD, but also somehow pointless.

Your purchased ships can be permanently lost if there is no insurance or LTI on them, but also the insurance mechanic is unknown. Also I'd want to be the customer service rep taking calls from angry nerds who spent thousands and lost it in a buggy landing or glitch.

Also LTI is very important if it's currently attached to a ship during a sale, but it's also not that big a deal if it's not attached to a ship during a sale.

Crobear posted:

But we have the hologram gadget where you can put up a hologram version of yourself and you can be off sneaking somewhere else.

Not sure why you'd alert the enemy with a hologram if you're already sneaking around undetected, but it was important to get in on the hottest properties of 1996.

Crobear posted:

We are going to have definite things that will help you with hiding your radar and noise signature, or heat signature, and stuff like that. So we definitely want that.

Here's more of the visionary's crystal-clear direction. They will "have definite things" (which is different from "definitely having things") to hide your radar (because radar is frequently used by foot soldiers in ground warfare) AND your noise signature (like Aliens!) and stuff like that. But also, they definitely want that. Chris went from "they will" to "they want" in two sentences.

Wait, I missed something...

Yep, Crobear definitely posted:

...we have the hologram gadget...

Wait a minute, hot Duke Nukem 3D action is already in game?!?!? Chris said this two years ago, certainly he can't be lying?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

Also LTI is very important if it's currently attached to a ship during a sale, but it's also not that big a deal if it's not attached to a ship during a sale.

Not sure why you'd alert the enemy with a hologram if you're already sneaking around undetected, but it was important to get in on the hottest properties of 1996.

Here's more of the visionary's crystal-clear direction. They will "have definite things" (which is different from "definitely having things") to hide your radar (because radar is frequently used by foot soldiers in ground warfare) AND your noise signature (like Aliens!) and stuff like that. But also, they definitely want that. Chris went from "they will" to "they want" in two sentences.

Wait, I missed something...

Wait a minute, hot Duke Nukem 3D action is already in game?!?!? Chris said this two years ago, certainly he can't be lying?

it's been in the secret developer build since foreeeeeeever, jeez

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*A G-man is seen speaking into his wrist*

"They've gone Nukem, sir!"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Star Citizen: Redemption (of John Romero)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hot Star Marine action, where individual limbs and damage states of said limbs are accurately modeled. Which of course affects how you as a medic in your squad are able to handle the triage in the ultimate AAA+++ realistic FPS shooter.

I'm assuming this is in the game by now.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Did you read the response to this one? The bug is marked as invalid because:

Harkonian posted:

Unless you can repro this it's just a random thing that happened.

:smuggo:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Pixelate posted:

Star Citizer: Just loving How?

---

[list][*]"EMERGENCY ARGON SUPPLY"

Never know when you'll need some emergency inert gas my friend. Maybe you are worried about metal-organic reactions in the vacuum of space.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

boviscopophobic posted:

lmao

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hot Star Marine action, where individual limbs and damage states of said limbs are accurately modeled. Which of course affects how you as a medic in your squad are able to handle the triage in the ultimate AAA+++ realistic FPS shooter.

I'm assuming this is in the game by now.

From "Death of a Spaceman"

A thief masquerading as a game developer posted:

I want a living, breathing universe that has a lot of the dynamics of a real world and is inspired by the decline and fall of the Roman Empire

quote:

inspired by the decline and fall of the Roman Empire

Mission accomplished, Crobbler.

You know I was gonna grab some choice quotes from the insane article, but every word in it is insipid. Anyone who read this and thinks it sounds good deserves to be fleeced, and there must be some justice in the world because that's exactly what's happening.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjUEYATOMJE

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I'm genuinely surprised that worked as well as it did.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that worked as well as it did.

Ya, I was expecting him to clip entirely though the ship and then for it to just, i don't know, explode for some reason.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

FailureToReport posted:

I was told by Chris Almighty that 3.1 was to be the coming of good frames. I must have the old build still, for the frames have not yet cometh.

But on a fun note, I was able to jump out of my ship in atmosphere, spend 15 minutes falling to the planets surface, and my spaceman landed on his two feet like he jumped off a small ledge and then just stood there like "Yeah....I did that."

Long time, no see. How's the video production/streaming going?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

boviscopophobic posted:

That's just some concern troll.

Most people are happily reproducing it with this simple step: 'Use Mobiglass'

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boviscopophobic posted:

Holy poo poo I'm stealing that for the auto-reply for our bug reporting portal at work

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like the fact this is a funny 20 second clip but probably took 2 hours of jankiness for them to even get to that point.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Chalks posted:

Holy poo poo I'm stealing that for the auto-reply for our bug reporting portal at work

It's perfect because you just get to mark it as invalid making it not eligible to be selected as an existing bug. So when someone tries to log the same bug again you just mark that one invalid as well. One weird trick to ITIL Practitioners hate!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Or you can just stroll in after a long holiday and wipe out all the trouble tickets.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

You know I was gonna grab some choice quotes from the insane article, but every word in it is insipid. Anyone who read this and thinks it sounds good deserves to be fleeced, and there must be some justice in the world because that's exactly what's happening.

That was pretty good. The Roman Empire largely fell because it's growth was unsustainable and a slave-heavy economy reduces opportunities for the people who are paid for their labor. It'll be a hell of thing to lever in unless they're just taking the incursions of the Germanic tribes and the final 'sack' as the fall.

Who am I kidding, they got it from Fallout: New Vegas.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Hologram gadgets own, actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYW6Ge8etM
(warning, video contains ridiculous gamer montage music)

Of course, they have to be implemented intelligently in a game that has been designed to have mechanics that make using them beneficial to players, something which Chris Roberts's "My First FPS" clone isn't and never will be, but other than that, the idea is sound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

This game looks neat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

That was pretty good. The Roman Empire largely fell because it's growth was unsustainable and a slave-heavy economy reduces opportunities for the people who are paid for their labor. It'll be a hell of thing to lever in unless they're just taking the incursions of the Germanic tribes and the final 'sack' as the fall.

Who am I kidding, they got it from Fallout: New Vegas.

Yeah, Rome basically fell because of scope creep.

Hopefully Roberts can play some musical instrument while his empire burns.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In your thoughts and prayers, friend :unsmith:

I knew you were there the whole time.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

FailureToReport posted:

I was told by Chris Almighty that 3.1 was to be the coming of good frames. I must have the old build still, for the frames have not yet cometh.

There has been a miscommunication. In the design phase, 3.1 was to be the total number of good frames available, as understood by any backer that actually follows the development of this project. An upcoming improvement to the rendering process is planned, currently called Frames 2.0.
A key feature of this update will be the removal of incomplete or inaccurate frames, with the intention of giving every Citizen a much more reliable experience with exactly 2.0 frames per second every second. While it sounds like a small change, this is going to make the user experience incredibly realistic as 2.0 is the amount of eyes a human being normally has.
Sorry, Ben.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Star Citizer: Actual Result: no joy

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The more time you have to view each frame, the longer you can marvel in the fidelity.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Felt bad after I posted that I realized I archered it from another poster. :negative:

Yeah :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Can you forgive me commando?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Mix me up a fine Hairy Roberts in the 'verse, and we're cool :)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

KyPoorShot i know you read the thread occasionally, that was a good video my dude and i know many people who ultimately have drawn the same conclusions. Thanks for taking the time, always a pleasure to hear your musings.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

his nibs posted:

Mix me up a fine Hairy Roberts in the 'verse, and we're cool :)

You're on. Version 5.6 will probably have it so it is my treat.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Combat Theory posted:

KyPoorShot i know you read the thread occasionally, that was a good video my dude and i know many people who ultimately have drawn the same conclusions. Thanks for taking the time, always a pleasure to hear your musings.

That was pretty good, and a slightly different angle from one I'd considered.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

grimcreaper posted:

This game looks neat.

I think it looks like hot garbage and the pitch makes him sound like the kid from a 3D-Head commercial but the funny part imo is him using a fake name to distance himself from his brother, noted game developer and Cryengine EvangelistTM Sean Tracy which also obscures the fact he was one of the cig devs that helped turn Star Citizer's flight model to noclip trash to milk fps whales once the simwhales were dry and was in most of their propaganda videos for the first few years.

Does no ones else recognize Dan Tracy or find it amusing he's pretending not to be Dan Tracy and wasn't on team Roberts for the formative years or just no one cares? I was hoping there were some funny insights about this.

fake e: I got grimcreap'd :negative:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Hologram gadgets own, actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYW6Ge8etM
(warning, video contains ridiculous gamer montage music)

Of course, they have to be implemented intelligently in a game that has been designed to have mechanics that make using them beneficial to players, something which Chris Roberts's "My First FPS" clone isn't and never will be, but other than that, the idea is sound.

What are you talking about? Those aren't real holograms, it's just the player model with a hologram texture. SC has real virtual holograms.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Combat Theory posted:

Yeah, that was solid. Sucks that it ended up this way, but he said a lot that was true and resonated with how I felt when I got my refunds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Dan took his wifes last name fyi