Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

That sounds like torture.

Yeah, I try to discourage that sort of thing once that pattern emerged. It's not just about their home, their entire neighbourhoods are destroyed, where they went to school, picked up their shopping, met their friends, all literally reduced to rubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not that it's exactly the same but I remember seeing my house post-Katrina for the 1st time and it was from aerial photos from a family friend. We weren't allowed back into the area several weeks after still so he flew over and sent back images to all of his friends.

The roof was caved in and the neighbors trailer from ~75 yds away and floated over and impaled itself through one of our other walls collapsing it. You could see floatsam on the roof of the house and 2 weeks later floodwater was still covering the floors. As soon as we saw it we knew everything was gone as it had been total flooding over the roof and all the structure was destroyed / house was half knocked off its foundation. It loving sucked to see, but it was also necessary because it allowed us to stop thinking about /planning for maybe going back and seeing if we could fix up / salvage things. Sometimes finality is needed.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Tried using forum search and I think this wasn't posted here yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seJ-Up1tjw8

It's the official, declassified report detailing what happened in Niger

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Love Stole the Day posted:

Tried using forum search and I think this wasn't posted here yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seJ-Up1tjw8

It's the official, declassified report detailing what happened in Niger
That's pretty wild. Desert raiding tactics. Went :stare: at how they pursued the soldiers.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man that poo poo is really grim to watch :smith:

I still don't really get how all their surveillance and poo poo didn't notice that seemingly massive enemy force that was p much in the village with them though

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man that poo poo is really grim to watch :smith:

I still don't really get how all their surveillance and poo poo didn't notice that seemingly massive enemy force that was p much in the village with them though

Because they didn't have any (see 3m25s ~ 4m15s in the video for why)

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 22, 2018

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
That part of the video is just about their proposed mission plan being inaccurate/bullshit.

Actually further into the video (6:45ish) it says "Prior to departing, the team commander directed the overhead ISR asset to maintain coverage on motorcycles heard in the vicinity..." which seems to explain why there was no surveillance at the village, so I guess I answered my own dumbass question :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That's pretty wild. Desert raiding tactics. Went :stare: at how they pursued the soldiers.

The craziest part from the whole briefing is how long it was before they made their first radio call that they were in contact. It was a full hour before they called for help.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

kill me now posted:

The craziest part from the whole briefing is how long it was before they made their first radio call that they were in contact. It was a full hour before they called for help.

So, was one of the ups on their AAR "better comms plan than the seals"?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That whole thing was such a cluster gently caress, god drat.

kill me now posted:

Also this.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
loving Gibbons on Jews:

Gibbons posted:

"a race of fanatics, whose dire and credulous superstition seemed to render them the implacable enemies not only of the Roman government, but also of humankind".

A lot of what I know about the romans came from reading his six volume history gently caress fest. He does not like the sons of Abraham or other chosen people.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

loving Gibbons on Jews:

A lot of what I know about the romans came from reading his six volume history gently caress fest. He does not like the sons of Abraham or other chosen people.

Gibbon's antisemitism was almost entirely mainstream for his time. But it's hilarious that you could replace any reference to Jews with Muslims and it would play just fine with the Redstate crowd today.

Who was it that said, "History makes fools of us all"? Because it's absolutely true.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Handsome Ralph posted:

That whole thing was such a cluster gently caress, god drat.

Also this.

Blows my mind, I understand that in the middle of battle they could lose control over the other vehicles as they hauled rear end out, but to not radio in for that long as such a small force defending itself is insane.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
It's hectic as gently caress when the dude gets shot out of the tray of the last truck and they have to circle back and pick him up, and you can just see the enemy force swarming them. That poo poo is getting made into a movie for sure.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
They mentioned the meeting with the village elders going longer than expected which to me read as “the villagers held them up while someone ran to tell the bad guys they were there.” It would explain how such a large force showed up seemingly out of nowhere.

Also when the command element tried to flank them and got stopped by a lake - didn’t they have a map, or were the maps of the area inaccurate, or do lakes just pop up in that part of the world due to things like heavy rains?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
It looked to be fully enclosed in trees, so I assume their maps were either not based on up to date satellite data, or they just made a snap call based on what they saw

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That poo poo is getting made into a movie for sure.

I really hope not.

Scratch Monkey posted:

They mentioned the meeting with the village elders going longer than expected which to me read as “the villagers held them up while someone ran to tell the bad guys they were there.” It would explain how such a large force showed up seemingly out of nowhere.

That occurred to me as well.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I really hope not.

Too late, it already is one courtesy of ISIS’s communications team :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Also the whole "air support was 90 minutes to two hours out" thing that was getting trotted out when this went down seems like a dumb mistake in retrospect. Considering they could have called it in at or around the time they first stopped to make contact and while it would still take 90 minutes to 2 hours to get that air support on station, that's a hell of a lot sooner than waiting an hour later with four guys already dead.

I fully realize they don't want to call in air support for every single contact they come across, but I mean come the gently caress on.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the tactical reasoning behind stopping to engage rather than just speeding away when they came under initially light fire from basically straight behind?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Scratch Monkey posted:

Also when the command element tried to flank them and got stopped by a lake - didn’t they have a map, or were the maps of the area inaccurate, or do lakes just pop up in that part of the world due to things like heavy rains?

October is the tail end of the rainy season in Niger, so it’s totally plausible that a downpour could produce a huge puddle that looked like a lake and that wouldn’t have shown up on ISR photos from a day or two before.

In other places in Africa, civil wars basically stop for a few months because the rains prevent anyone from moving along rural, unpaved roads.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

What's the tactical reasoning behind stopping to engage rather than just speeding away when they came under initially light fire from basically straight behind?

If all of your vehicles are still running you're supposed to just floor it and get out of the killzone. The video doesn't say if any of the vehicles were disabled before they stopped.

Though judging by the commander's first decision being to try to flank using just 4 IF soldiers and himself even though the enemy had enough guys to be willing to stay in a sustained engagement with 9 vehicles and 40+ personnel. They were probably just trying to rambo it up.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

subterfudge posted:

If all of your vehicles are still running you're supposed to just floor it and get out of the killzone. The video doesn't say if any of the vehicles were disabled before they stopped.

That and adjust fire off one of your TRPs. Real curious as to what their review looked like after considering even my retarded rear end knew what to do in an unblocked ambush as a Lance.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

aphid_licker posted:

Probably not wanting to abandon the village they just left to the enemy and thinking it was a smaller force then it really was. If they were just taking sporadic grazing fire from the rear they probably thought of it as a good opportunity to close with and kill or capture the enemy force.

It’s not like they didn’t have a decent number of troops with over 40 between the US and Niger troops. They probably felt like they could handle whoever was taking pot shots initially.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Now a collectors item

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You are very smart and wonderful. I am also beautiful and amazing. We could have been something, could have had our sweet Singaporean fling. I will always have an open door for you, call me anytime.

With Everlasting Affection and Unrequited Incel Pining,

NMNMINMNMVMM

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The MH17 Joint Investigation Team had a press conference today where they presented a lot of open source evidence related to the origin of the missile launcher that shot it down. Bellingcat pretty much did this all already, but the JIT is a proper criminal investigation, so the fact they agree with our findings is significant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyd875Qtlg

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I heard something mentioned about Bellingcat on some BBC programing on my local NPR station this morning although I was half asleep and didn't really catch the story. I suppose that was it?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yeah, I did a bit for World at One, which is a BBC show, so I guess NPR has it too. As I was doing that I was in a hotel being filmed by a documentary film crew who are doing a film on Bellingcat, called the Bellingcat Method.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, I did a bit for World at One, which is a BBC show, so I guess NPR has it too. As I was doing that I was in a hotel being filmed by a documentary film crew who are doing a film on Bellingcat, called the Bellingcat Method.

This would've been on the BBC Newshour which might be a US/NPR specific show cobbled together from other BBC content? It comes on after NPR's morning news show.

The intersection of Something Awful in world events and unrelated parts of my life is quite amusing though. Cool that I'm hearing forums poster Brown Moses on national US and/or international radio in the morning. Keep up the good work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

This would've been on the BBC Newshour which might be a US/NPR specific show cobbled together from other BBC content? It comes on after NPR's morning news show.

The intersection of Something Awful in world events and unrelated parts of my life is quite amusing though. Cool that I'm hearing forums poster Brown Moses on national US and/or international radio in the morning. Keep up the good work.

Between Caro and that one time we got graffiti written on Ukrainian artillery shells, I’d say we’re a serious international military participant.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

that one time we got graffiti written on Ukrainian artillery shells

Somehow this went under my radar. Got a picture?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Between Caro and that one time we got graffiti written on Ukrainian artillery shells, I’d say we’re a serious international military participant.

Benghazi.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well the day after the Joint Investigation Team press conference on MH17 we followed it up by releasing our new report IDing one of the people involved with transporting the Buk that shot down MH17 as a senior GRU officer, who was also the defence minister of the South Ossestian separatists back in 2008. Both the Russian MoD and Foreign Ministry have responded by saying our work is based on fakes, so I emailed them yesterday asking for their evidence we're using fakes:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1000339540433924096

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
BM please stay away from anyone carrying an umbrella.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

And packets of stevia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Do twitter-fights with the Russian government invalidate a life insurance policy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Do twitter-fights with the Russian government invalidate a life insurance policy?

I'm actually applying for renewed life insurance soon and I have no idea exactly what I should tell them about all this.