Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just got an AWD turbo Mazda hatch to be a friend to my FWD turbo Mazda hatch

it's hot and it's l o n g

this motor would need serious retuning to be appropriate for a new Mazdaspeed, but holy poo poo does it have a lot of torque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Voltage posted:

I just test drove one of these, they only had the auto but my god was it fast, almost too fast imo. I feel like i couldn't be trusted with one. I need to go drive an SS stick still.

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be trusted with one either. Such is life.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just got an AWD turbo Mazda hatch to be a friend to my FWD turbo Mazda hatch

it's hot and it's l o n g

this motor would need serious retuning to be appropriate for a new Mazdaspeed, but holy poo poo does it have a lot of torque

Very nice!

I really wish they could cram this powerplant into the Mazda3 o r CX5.
The CX9 is just too big for me. Its gorgeous though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cool technical analysis of the new K20C1 head
http://blog.jepistons.com/comparing-hondas-new-k20c-head-to-the-last-ten-k20a-series-

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GTI bros - anybody using Car Net beyond the free trial? I'm on the fence about renewing next month.

I use android auto/Google maps/etc for pretty much everything, but it's nice to check when I go, "... I locked it this morning, didn't I?"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i decided not to once the free trial ran out but i also never even bothered to set it up on my phone

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Speaking of free trials that can gently caress straight off: SiriusXM.

"What do you mean you live in a place with buildings? Hope you enjoy the audio dropping every 10 seconds then."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
SiriusXM would almost be worth it for me if it didn't sound so awful. I don't know what kinda bitrate they're using, but FM antenna or pairing my phone with bluetooth sounds insanely better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

i decided not to once the free trial ran out but i also never even bothered to set it up on my phone

Not empty quoting

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

I never even set up the free trial. :v:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

PT6A posted:

Speaking of free trials that can gently caress straight off: SiriusXM.

"What do you mean you live in a place with buildings? Hope you enjoy the audio dropping every 10 seconds then."

I like Sirius despite the sound, although my usage waxes and wanes a lot. Not sure if I'll keep it or not. The buildings thing is annoying, but I had XM for quite a while so it doesn't bother me much.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

SiriusXM would almost be worth it for me if it didn't sound so awful. I don't know what kinda bitrate they're using, but FM antenna or pairing my phone with bluetooth sounds insanely better.

It's horrendous. I think I remember reading its pretty much the equivalent of a 64kbps MP3.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Quick Google suggest 128kbps equivalent which is still crap compared to CD's. It's variable bit rate and compression variesby channel apparently so that's crappy too.

I've always found FM radio to be fairly garbage quality, ok for low volume but if you have a higher quality input available the quality difference is really noticeable.

E: in my experience Sirius sounded better than FM, at least for pop and edm channels.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 24, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While I had the free trial going in my FiST it was noticeably worse than most of my local FM stations and waaaay worse than I remember Sirius being when I had it years ago back before the merger. Actually seems a lot worse than 128kbps to me but who knows.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's been a while since I've listened to it, I don't subscribe and it came on an X month trial when we bought the car new.

Maybe my local FM stations are terrible? Or Sirius has gone down :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i wish you could turn the option off on the infotainment center

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish you could remove the whole dash screen in the FiST

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

I wish you could remove the whole dash screen in the FiST

eh other than the cutting into the windscreen area i dont mind it much, the speakers and bass however stock are utter trash.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who decided that you couldn't connect to an existing paired bluetooth device without using the touch screen?

As a side note, the longer I own the car the more I realize it is an American take on the MiniCooper S.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

Who decided that you couldn't connect to an existing paired bluetooth device without using the touch screen?

As a side note, the longer I own the car the more I realize it is an American take on the MiniCooper S.

wait what? you have to manually connect to your phone? mine doesnt do that at all

honestly i have always compared it to what honda should have done with the CRZ, made it a solid crx follow up with a bit of heart.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I do if I switch it to radio or something else then want to go back to listening to paired Spotify. Can't just tab through using the source button, need to scroll the inputs down to the second screen, then tap bluetooth.

Speaking of CRX, I kinda wanted to grab this but remembered I really don't need a third car.
https://imgur.com/a/gTGcriO

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

I do if I switch it to radio or something else then want to go back to listening to paired Spotify. Can't just tab through using the source button, need to scroll the inputs down to the second screen, then tap bluetooth.

Speaking of CRX, I kinda wanted to grab this but remembered I really don't need a third car.
https://imgur.com/a/gTGcriO

yeah mine totally doesnt do that, i ended up not using android auto because it switches sources right back to the last app i used just using bluetooth better and quicker for some reason. android auto despite the apps was just janky as gently caress for me.

nice car. I love hondas except when i have to work on em.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

Voice command "Bluetooth Stereo". It may prompt for a followup command, in which case use "Play"

I'm fed up with the stock system too and I've given up on my project to convert to Sync 3 for Android Auto (btw if anyone wants a '16+ FiST touch screen without the computer part let me know), so I bought some CAN bus adapters and I'm rigging up a logging system so I can try to reverse engineer how the infotainment system interacts with the car.

My ultimate goal is to be able to replace the entire system with a general purpose computer of some sort, while maintaining all stock functionality and appearing as close to factory as possible.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wolrah posted:

My ultimate goal is to be able to replace the entire system with a general purpose computer of some sort, while maintaining all stock functionality and appearing as close to factory as possible.

if you do this :justpost: i like mods like that and i dont mind yoinking parts out

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RS owners, Cobb has a new OTS tune out if you want one and haven't got it yet. This is with intake and intercooler, no upgraded turbo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Not a day goes by that I'm not absolutely thrilled that I waited to get a GTI with Android Auto/Carplay. Stock infotainment stuff is generally bad and I have what I want from my phone. I do kind of want to go Android now just to use Waze or anything not Apple Maps (though it it largely fine).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
waze was fine other than the verbal alerts for everything

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Took the FiST to Waterford Hills again today. First time out, limp mode because coolant hit 250+ degrees in 5 laps. Second time out, charge pipe blew off the turbo.

I’ve got a nice sunburn on my ankle from running the heat full blast for the next few runs. Had a good time but all the working on the car and fairly high heat of the day sapped me badly. I got home and have no interest getting off the couch at all.

One of those days that is a good reminder that I have a lot of small reliability stuff to take care of in the next month. Probably should install that radiator...

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I'm not sure if the FiST is the same as the FoST but if you pop the front grill out and hit it with a sander on the backside it's a fairly quick and easy way to open up all the holes in the grill that are blocked off. Might be worth it to do when you swap out the radiator if it's similar on the Fiesta, get a bunch more airflow through there.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

xsf421 posted:

RS owners, Cobb has a new OTS tune out if you want one and haven't got it yet. This is with intake and intercooler, no upgraded turbo.

What’s the general consensus on the OTS Cobb tunes for the RS? A lot of people say they are garbage, but I’ve been running the OTS 93 tune and it seems ok. Definitely not as good as something from Mountune or Tune+, but I’m poor currently and can’t afford to drop $350 for a tune. I’m running an AEM DryFlow filter and one step colder plugs pregapped from Adam at Tune+. No blanking plate on the intercooler. CP-E Stage 2 RMM. I know hard charge pipes and an ETS intercooler are in my future, but I’m thinking that the OTS tune is better than no tune.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

What’s the general consensus on the OTS Cobb tunes for the RS? A lot of people say they are garbage, but I’ve been running the OTS 93 tune and it seems ok. Definitely not as good as something from Mountune or Tune+, but I’m poor currently and can’t afford to drop $350 for a tune. I’m running an AEM DryFlow filter and one step colder plugs pregapped from Adam at Tune+. No blanking plate on the intercooler. CP-E Stage 2 RMM. I know hard charge pipes and an ETS intercooler are in my future, but I’m thinking that the OTS tune is better than no tune.

I have never seen anyone say anything good about any OTS Cobb tunes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

if you do this :justpost: i like mods like that and i dont mind yoinking parts out

I will definitely be documenting it in detail, and if I start to get somewhere meaningful with it I may start a thread since I don't think there's been a CarPC thread in a long time.

Real Life has been getting in the way of my tinkering for a while but I should be getting back in to it within the next few weeks, especially because the Kickstarter display project I'm hoping to use is indicating that they're preparing to start shipping orders. Having a 1080p capacitive touch screen in my hands will hopefully be some motivation to start playing some more.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Don’t run that poo poo it’s going to end up loving you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's the consensus? Mountune?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Car is actually super dirty (goddamn I want different brake pads but the wheels are supposed to be a dark gun metal color) and you can't tell how loaded it is inside with stuff for the weekend, but this is my hot hatch doing hot hatch things.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mountune, Tune+, Stratified.

I think the lifetime tune from Tune+ comes out to be he best deal if you plan on modding and adding things one at a time like you’re supposed to properly.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
What's a good fiesta st upgrade path? I plan on getting another one but I'll definitely mod this one. Mountune or cobb? I plan on installing everything myself but getting it dynotuned. Thinking intercooler, intake, fill exhaust and maybe that bigger turbo from mountune.

And kw v3's give better ride quality, or just super stiff?

The main complaint I had with my 2014 was hitting pitholes was so jarring and loud my ears would ring.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Voltage posted:

What's a good fiesta st upgrade path? I plan on getting another one but I'll definitely mod this one. Mountune or cobb? I plan on installing everything myself but getting it dynotuned. Thinking intercooler, intake, fill exhaust and maybe that bigger turbo from mountune.

And kw v3's give better ride quality, or just super stiff?

The main complaint I had with my 2014 was hitting pitholes was so jarring and loud my ears would ring.

If you’re not tracking it, I would do the following for a legit reliable street build with ~250whp and torque.

Ap + pro tune from a good tuner
CP-E rear roll mount
Chinesium fmic (whoosh)
X37/x47/etc hybrid turbo
Go fast bits dv+
Panel filter and maybe modified air box
Catted downpipe (whoosh)
Some sort of 2.5” exhaust
Koni orange rear struts (less damping than stock and smooth out the nasty bumps)

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Does mountune offer a Clubsport type suspension situation for the Fiesta? That's definitely what I'm going to swap to on my focus after riding in one with them done. Felt very much like stock but slightly lower, slightly stiffer and yet somehow smoother/less jerky when rolling over stuff. I was expecting it to be crazy stiff like most coil overs but was very pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
I've had my 2007 Mazdaspeed3 for 6 years and I'm ready for something new. The NVH of this car has left me wanting something more refined. I'm seriously considering getting a C30 over a GTI or A3 - would that be stupid? I still need to test drive all 3 so I'll have to see if the C30 feels too boring.