Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The big thing with .32 is there's nothing else really to slot in there to start off. Survival Knife imo serves a different purpose (although I do like it). I've always gone .32-.45 upgrade and guard dog-upgraded beat cop. Guard dog is really good because it's damage without a test. Trench knife isn't actually as useless as you make it out-you don't use it for it's attack, you use it to ignore AoO on engages. It's basically a defensive item. It's not always worth a slot, but it's not useless (blackjack on the other hand...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

The big thing with .32 is there's nothing else really to slot in there to start off. Survival Knife imo serves a different purpose (although I do like it). I've always gone .32-.45 upgrade and guard dog-upgraded beat cop. Guard dog is really good because it's damage without a test. Trench knife isn't actually as useless as you make it out-you don't use it for it's attack, you use it to ignore AoO on engages. It's basically a defensive item. It's not always worth a slot, but it's not useless (blackjack on the other hand...)

I usually run .45(0) and Beat Cop(0) instead, bumping a base 4 to 6. Testless damage is great, but you get that with Beat Cop(0) as well, but at a price. It might boil down to how much you like building board state vs how much you plan on using temp boost from skills/pumps. I usually prefer the former.

I'd also run Taunt over Trench Knife if I thought engage would be a problem, but there's never really been such a situation where it felt vital to run such cards.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Does the note in Path to Carcosa about the <New keyword: Hidden> mean that one would get the most out of the story in the first run by not playing it solo? If so it it specific scenarios or the whole campaign that would draw that caution?

I'm committed to running Dunwich 'cold' with a friend, which will be slow over multiple game nights. I'd thought to play around with Carcosa solo in the meantime but that stay "in character" comment seems possibly relevant.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Not really. The hidden cards don't impact the story much.

It's just a couple of events that prevent you from taking certain actions but other players don't know why.

It is also an incredibly true solo evasion friendly campaign, far more than the Gathering and a bit more than Dunwich. I'd recommend taking a rogue or Wendy through it. They'll excel.

Edit: Some advice for mission 2 if you go solo: Burn down the house. I didn't and really regretted it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What? I'd say between stuff like Curtain Call and Unspeakable Oath it's the roughest campaign for solo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can anyone provide a list of the promo/book characters and their cards? I want to PnP them.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

What? I'd say between stuff like Curtain Call and Unspeakable Oath it's the roughest campaign for solo.

There aren't very many hunter enemies in curtain call, it isn't bad at all. I played it with a rogue, which have underwhelming starter cards, and was fine. Nearly had the maximum possible xp, even.

You can bail on the second mission. The rest work really well with evasion and the occasional high damage event card to deal with hunters. Most of the campaign would have been downright easy if I did the conclusion to mission 2 differently.

You might need to approach the game differently for that player count, I know I did. Playing through solo was a completely different experience from my usual two investigator runs, which made me appreciate the game system even more than before.

Four player is also quite different. A good deck in two player can end up being garbage in four player.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 19, 2018

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Tried Curtain Call with Wendy tonight. Leo and baseball bat on turn 1 probably kept me from being mulched. I don't mind escaping with 2 location VP left behind when the survival odds were plummeting. Shifting gears from rabid wolverine Zoey to survivor Wendy is a trip and a half.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Who pairs well with Rex for Dunwich? I have my go to Pete deck but wanting to try something different, maybe the new mystic?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Who pairs well with Rex for Dunwich? I have my go to Pete deck but wanting to try something different, maybe the new mystic?

Zoey or Mark are my go to investigators with Rex. He doesn't need any help investigating.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've never played Zoey so I'm gonna go with her. Think she's a good choice to try Backpack with?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

You need some serious firepower yeah. Harrigan might work well as well.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I've never played Zoey so I'm gonna go with her. Think she's a good choice to try Backpack with?

Zoey has better economy than most guardians so it seems more likely to work with her than anyone else.

Depends on whether you have enough items to make it worthwhile. My decks usually don't but they all predated backpack.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Despite going all out and buying the core set, Dunwich Horror, all of its expansions, Path to Carcossa, and one of its expansions, as well as the Broken Token hobby case organizer (and requisite hobby case organizer from Hobby Lobby) and for some reason sleeving all of my cards, I hadn't gone past the core scenario which I played all the way back in 2016.

I have finally set aside time to play this 2P with a friend who'd been willing all along, and we played the first scenario (1B - House Always Wins) last night. I love this game so much.

I picked up The Forgotten Age so I could play as Ursula Downs, because I love Seekers and her free investigate ability after moving is so good. My friend played as William Yorrick and was our monster killer.

Ursula's ability actually wasn't fantastically helpful in this scenario for obvious reasons to those who've played it, but she still did alright, and we got probably about as much experience as we could reasonably hope for and completed the objective.

What do you guys do if you don't quite like a few cards of your deck after just the intro scenario? I know the rules are that you have to spend at least one experience to replace any cards (so level 0 cost 1 after the pre-campaign deck building) but I also think it's fair for us as new players to drop one or two cards in exchange for some other 0-cost ones. Maybe I'm just playing in wuss mode.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Wuss mode is ok given it's, like, your second game. But really, if it's not a matter of rebuilding the entire deck you can just toss those few duds to make space for cool xp-bought cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So we played Rex + Zoey through the core set before starting Dunwich and the Ghoul Priest hosed us hard in all three scenarios. Literally top decked him first draw in scenario two and then again at the second agenda in scenario three. We ended up resigning because we couldn’t get through him :(. Other than that, the combo was a lot of fun and we might continue it for Dunwich.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Our play group has decided that painstakingly recording and rebuilding what level 0 cards are in your deck for every campaign is too much of a hassle when we have multiple campaigns running; we only record XP cards and rebuild our decks every time we go from one campaign to another. So we play in "wuss mode" by default. I don't think it makes the game any easier, unless you, I guess, look ahead to see what the scenarios are like and build to the scenario specifically. But that would be spoilers!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KPC_Mammon posted:

Edit: Some advice for mission 2 if you go solo: Burn down the house. I didn't and really regretted it.

ooh, our group didn't burn it down and now I'm curious to see what happens

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Don't you animals just have a deck 'savestate' on arkhamdb? I spend far too much time mathing my decks out to bother doing this poo poo all over again.

Also wuss mode is just disgusting, Adaptable was printed for a reason, I'm calling the fun police to raid your table.

Bottom Liner posted:

So we played Rex + Zoey through the core set before starting Dunwich and the Ghoul Priest hosed us hard in all three scenarios. Literally top decked him first draw in scenario two and then again at the second agenda in scenario three. We ended up resigning because we couldn’t get through him :(. Other than that, the combo was a lot of fun and we might continue it for Dunwich.

GIT GUD, by which I mean to ask if Rex had some plans or minds over matters or even strange solutions/glyphs for self defense to help in situations like this? He might be set up as an all-in clue gatherer, but even in such extreme combinations some degree of well-roundedness is required. Either to have an answer for 'dead' turns with no investigation/killing to be done, or to give an ally an extra push if he's unable to do his primary job at a given moment (like losing their machete or whatever).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Despite going all out and buying the core set, Dunwich Horror, all of its expansions, Path to Carcossa, and one of its expansions, as well as the Broken Token hobby case organizer (and requisite hobby case organizer from Hobby Lobby) and for some reason sleeving all of my cards, I hadn't gone past the core scenario which I played all the way back in 2016.

I have finally set aside time to play this 2P with a friend who'd been willing all along, and we played the first scenario (1B - House Always Wins) last night. I love this game so much.

I picked up The Forgotten Age so I could play as Ursula Downs, because I love Seekers and her free investigate ability after moving is so good. My friend played as William Yorrick and was our monster killer.

Ursula's ability actually wasn't fantastically helpful in this scenario for obvious reasons to those who've played it, but she still did alright, and we got probably about as much experience as we could reasonably hope for and completed the objective.

What do you guys do if you don't quite like a few cards of your deck after just the intro scenario? I know the rules are that you have to spend at least one experience to replace any cards (so level 0 cost 1 after the pre-campaign deck building) but I also think it's fair for us as new players to drop one or two cards in exchange for some other 0-cost ones. Maybe I'm just playing in wuss mode.

My wife and I have houseruled that Adaptable is just a "passive" -- every character we play can swap up to two level 0 cards for free as if they'd bought Adaptable for the first and sometimes second scenario of a campaign (or whenever a new pack comes out if we're doing the current campaign). She felt that the rules as-is discouraged experimentation and trying new cards; I disagreed initially but in practice it really does feel less like a punishment for checking out a new card, and it's increased the fun factor for us.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2018

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Lichtenstein posted:

Don't you animals just have a deck 'savestate' on arkhamdb? I spend far too much time mathing my decks out to bother doing this poo poo all over again.

Also wuss mode is just disgusting, Adaptable was printed for a reason, I'm calling the fun police to raid your table.

Ain't nobody got time for that, nor do we have a computer handy when we play. We're all adults with jobs and we just meet around a table and jam some cards together and record our campaigns/xp expenditures with pencil and paper. We understand Adaptable was printed for a reason, we just don't care.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

GIT GUD, by which I mean to ask if Rex had some plans or minds over matters or even strange solutions/glyphs for self defense to help in situations like this? He might be set up as an all-in clue gatherer, but even in such extreme combinations some degree of well-roundedness is required. Either to have an answer for 'dead' turns with no investigation/killing to be done, or to give an ally an extra push if he's unable to do his primary job at a given moment (like losing their machete or whatever).

Yeah he’s built with a few slippery cards and he upgraded to the combat Solution but we just never got what we needed. My Zoey is also built with some investigate boosts which I never needed but of course always drew :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I still have no idea what I'm doing so I'll switch a few cards around if they don't work with my deck or if I feel like I'm missing something. I think I switched like 4 cards per deck through my last playthrough of the first campaign. I'm much more interested in having fun than strictly following rules that stick me with bad cards and lead to me not being able to experiment (especially as someone who's new and learns by experimenting.)

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

Ain't nobody got time for that, nor do we have a computer handy when we play. We're all adults with jobs and we just meet around a table and jam some cards together and record our campaigns/xp expenditures with pencil and paper. We understand Adaptable was printed for a reason, we just don't care.

My playgroup fits that description too and we keep a Slack group running so we can group build the decks before and between scenarios. The only easy way to track the decks is with Arkhamdb. If anything it saves us time since on the weekly game night all we have to do is build the decks from the lists.

We also only play on Hard mode so if we didn't do this we'd never have a chance of beating anything.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

It takes me far more time coming up with a good deck I'm happy with than it takes me to rebuild one I've already made and recorded.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Does anyone have their go to non-solo Zoey list? I want to compare to what I'm running and adjust. I think I put in a bit too much non-combat utility and not enough tanky guardian assets.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Does anyone have their go to non-solo Zoey list? I want to compare to what I'm running and adjust. I think I put in a bit too much non-combat utility and not enough tanky guardian assets.

Here is what we went into Lost In Time And Space with. It was a Rex / Zoey duo.

Zoey Samaras

Assets
2x Physical Training (Core Set)
2x Machete (Core Set)
2x Police Badge [2] (Core Set)
2x Beat Cop [2] (Core Set)
1x Zoey's Cross:Symbol of Righteousness (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Bandolier (The Essex County Express)
1x Lightning Gun [5] (Lost in Time and Space)
1x Stick to the Plan [3] (Black Stars Rise)

Events
2x Dodge (Core Set)
2x Extra Ammunition [1] (Core Set)
2x Drawn to the Flame (Core Set)
2x Emergency Cache (Core Set)
2x Stand Together [3] (The Essex County Express)
2x Prepared for the Worst (Blood on the Altar)
1x "I've had worse…" [4] (Where Doom Awaits)

Skills
2x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Double or Nothing (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Vicious Blow [2] (Lost in Time and Space)

Treacheries
1x Paranoia (Core Set)
1x Hypochondria (Core Set)
1x Smite the Wicked (The Dunwich Legacy)

We had a long break between the final two missions, which is why the only card from Carcosa is Stick to the Plan. I'd do things differently with the newer cards but the deck still run roughshod over most of the monsters in the campaign. Most bosses were killed with a single double or nothing zap from her lightning gun.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 25, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cool, here's what I did as the starting version:
code:

Asset (11)
Hand
2x  Fire Axe
2x  Machete
1x  Survival Knife
Ally
2x  Beat Cop
2x  Guard Dog
Other
2x  Physical Training

Event (11)
1x  "Let me handle this!"
2x  Dodge
1x  Drawn to the Flame
1x  Dynamite Blast
1x Emergency Cache
2x  Evidence!
1x  On the Hunt
2x  Prepared for the Worst

Skill (8)

2x  Double or Nothing
1x  Inspiring Presence
2x Overpower
1x Unexpected Courage
2x  Vicious Blow

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Why the gently caress would you waste a splash slot on a fire axe as a four-combat guardian? Just grab some nice backup gun and save your cash for cool poo poo like the dynamite you're already packing. Never cut down on unexpected courages. The four allies seem a bit overkill and I'd just pick the dog to later replace with 2xp beat cops, but I suppose this could be argued.

I do appreciate the cheeky double or nothing though.

Inclusions to consider:
- Liquid coutage, as it's far easier for Zoey to pass the simple willpower test than find ways to tank horror (blue allies and stuff tend to tank damage just fine).
- Bandolier. This is a bit of a long-term investment, as it'll be pretty useless up until you buy one of those incredibly sweet two-handed guns that could nevertheless use a machete as backup.
- Shortcut, though it's probably taken by Rex.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'll strongly agree with all of this. Haven't tried liquid courage but it is difficulty dependent.

I put Quick Thinking in my Rex deck, which combos really well with Double or Nothing from Zoey.

DoN won't double Rex's special ability, but it will double any bonuses from skill cards. This means Rex can get 3 clues and 2 bonus actions very reliably. 5 if you use a deduction as well (7 if it is upgraded).

Deduction is probably overkill, but just the DoN + Quick Thinking combo adds more potential clue gathering than anything else Zoey can bring.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Multiplayer Zoey deck focused only on killing. Also intended to be a burst damage late campaign deck:
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/121675

Click through to the upgraded version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fire Axe + Double or Nothing is a powerful combo for Zoey, that’s why I run it in her base deck. Resources have never been a problem for her so it’s great to do the big pump for a critical check.

I’m also dabbling with a solo Akachi build using all of the willpower check based spells. Mists of R’leh is incredible for its economy. Not sure what else to build her toward after the spells and typical mystic events like Drawn to the Flame. Guess a lot of the typical neutral skill cards to let her play like a survivor more than a mystic?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's the solo Akachi. Mists and Astral Travel keep her slippery and away from most threats or able to get to locations wquickly, and Torrent is a perfect pairing with the abundance of spells and her innate +charge power.

code:
Asset (16)

Hand
2x Flashlight
2x Ritual Candles
1x The Chthonian Stone
Arcane
2x Mists of R'lyeh
2x Rite of Seeking
2x Scrying
1x Shrivelling
Accessory
2x Holy Rosary
Ally
2x Arcane Initiate

Event (7)

1x Astral Travel
1x Delve Too Deep
2x Drawn to the Flame
1x Uncage the Soul
2x Ward of Protection

Skill (7)

1x Guts
2x Manual Dexterity
1x Overpower
1x Perception
2x Torrent of Power

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What campaign are you going to play? As far as I remember, Carcosa has a lot of 1 clue locations, and both Drawn to The Flame and Rite of Seeking are very good at both getting 2 clues and putting you in danger, which leaves you with only your flashlight to "reliably" investigate consequence-free.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dunwich. Toying with 2x Spirit Athame, which is a great boost to all of her spell checks but might be overkill? Also, upgraded Scrying is insane, never paid attention to the fact that it is a free action until I started building Akachi.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wife and I are playing through Dunwich Legacy, and just finished The Miskatonic Museum scenario. We're using Zoey/Rex, and Zoey with a shotgun is just a murder machine. We're still finding small rules we're messing up or forgetting, but for the most part, I think we're getting the hang of it.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Maybe you guys can help me out here.

We started our Dunwich campaign yesterday with The House Always Wins and due to a just wonderful combinations of encounter cards and chaos tokens, my Akechi ended up dying like halfway through with Angered Spirits still in play.
Now, as we understand the rules Angered spirits still triggers even on investigator eliminations, which has led to me sitting on 2 physical traumas from the very first scenario. So that's great.

Anyway, my question is am I missing something or is my only option for healing as Akechi Painkillers? Because I feel like if I were to put that into my deck, I would also need something to counteract the horror gained from it.
It just feels like a lot of xp to blow so soon.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Flimf posted:

Maybe you guys can help me out here.

We started our Dunwich campaign yesterday with The House Always Wins and due to a just wonderful combinations of encounter cards and chaos tokens, my Akechi ended up dying like halfway through with Angered Spirits still in play.
Now, as we understand the rules Angered spirits still triggers even on investigator eliminations, which has led to me sitting on 2 physical traumas from the very first scenario. So that's great.

Anyway, my question is am I missing something or is my only option for healing as Akechi Painkillers? Because I feel like if I were to put that into my deck, I would also need something to counteract the horror gained from it.
It just feels like a lot of xp to blow so soon.

You could also pick up a couple of bullet proof vests to absorb damage instead.

Or just ignore it, starting with two damage isn't the worst thing in the world.

Just think about who you'll play next after the current campaign spirals out of control. :xcom:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Arkham Horror or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Embrace the Chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are there any good resource sinks for Jenny that can boost her combat? Or, more specifically, that can boost her fist rating for combat while already using a weapon.