Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

It's frankly ridiculous that Monoma, who has one of the best quirks in the series, is in class B while class A has jokers like Satou. Thorn vine girl also had a pretty kick rear end quirk.

Keep in mind both class A and B are supposed to be in equal standing as the Hero Course classes. It's not a ranking system. It's just that A happened to have the protagonist.

E: I should've kept reading before replying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Bikindok posted:

God I hope not, can you imagine?

The Darkest Timeline.

That grape juice has aged into some fine wine.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

An anime-only friend of mine believes Ragdoll is the traitor from the most recent episode. I don't recall anyone bringing that possibility and it's certainly reasonable from where they are at the moment.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bikindok posted:

God I hope not, can you imagine?

The Darkest Timeline.

This literally what happened to Coby in One Piece.

Edit Derp beaten to that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Coby never greeted a pre-pubescent child with "I look forward to meeting you in ten years".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'll forgive Mineta if he's literally just going through a phase and grows up as a person due to an event we see.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
He has already had his "I wanna be a hero because I wanna be cool and I think heroes are cool, so I'm gonna be cool and not as creepy" moment on-screen though. It didn't stick.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's a terrible reason to be a hero. And didn't he get into UA through money or connections rather than aptitude?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Slow down there, he never said he wasn't going to be a horndog anymore. He just said he wanted to be cool. Since then he hasn't really been involved so who knows if he's going to backslide into cowardice again, but anyone expecting the horny character in a shonen manga to stop being horny should probably not place any bets on it.

EDIT: Money and connections?? Where'd you read that? He stuck his balls all over some robots and earned himself a spot in 1-A, same as everyone else except for Yaomomo and Todoroki.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dragonatrix posted:

He has already had his "I wanna be a hero because I wanna be cool and I think heroes are cool, so I'm gonna be cool and not as creepy" moment on-screen though. It didn't stick.

I mean way later at a time when it actually matters.

He can be in my bad box until it happens, but if it happens, I'll forgive him. I mean, these kids are still in their first year, I'd expect this to come at end of his teen life.

I was a lovely teenager too, so I get how hosed hormones are.

Heck, I think I was worse than he is.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it was Yaoyorozu and Todoroki who got in on recommendation. We know basically nothing about Mineta's past or family, as far as I know.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Roland Jones posted:

We know basically nothing about Mineta's past or family, as far as I know.

they own a superhero hostess/host club.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I still think Mineta is related to La Brava somehow.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Rhonne posted:

I still think Mineta is related to La Brava somehow.

Oh, all the tiny love-crazed gremlins know each other, is that it?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
La Brava, a person who, if she focuses her love enough, can help one person get much more powerful than they are on their own. She is dedicated to one person, and that person's cause.

Mineta, a person who can attach parts of himself at anybody and everybody, and actively inhibit them from doing anything useful. He is horny for every woman, and has no real cause but to touch a boob.

Yes, these characters seem very similar.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A bunch of the students didn't join the hero course out of absolutely magnanimous reasons.

Iida wanted to follow in the family business.
Tokoroki is doing it to spite his poo poo dad
Uraraka wants to earn money
Bakugo simply wants to prove he's the best

That doesn't make it wrong unless you are then allowing that to get in the way of saving people. In MHA being a hero is basically being a state actor that is licenced and regulated to legally use a quirk for their duties (either apprehension or disaster recovery) and use violence in order to deal with criminals. It's a job and one where people doing it have the chance to gain celebrity, prestige, and wealth; few heroes even have secret identities and licence themselves out for product placement. That's the heart of what's Stain's problem was; that being a hero was a self interested job but almost no one could reasonably live up to his comic book ideals. "What happens when being a super hero is a job that people get into like any other career?" is one of the fundamental issues this comic deals with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
vigilantes revealed that Stain's ideals came about because he misinterpreted a diss from a quirkless middle-aged man that had just punched him into a concussion, in case there was any remaining doubt that Stain is a loving idiot

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

vigilantes revealed that Stain's ideals came about because he misinterpreted a diss from a quirkless middle-aged man that had just punched him into a concussion, in case there was any remaining doubt that Stain is a loving idiot

To be fair, this quirkless middle-aged man is built like a tank and is quite the badass.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, that's a really rude way to talk about him considering that- god willing- Mirio will eventually live long enough to also become a quirkless middle-aged man.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the operative part of that descriptor was the "that had just punched him into a concussion" bit

e: though come to think of it knuckle duster could probably solo at least half of the league of villains, assuming he knew their quirks beforehand

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I don't think the type of hero that Stain is obsessed with could actually exist in that world. Being a hero is costly, requires dedication, and needs to work in the system due to laws related to quirk use and ability to use physical violence. You can't really do that as a side hobby and be at all effective. Even All Might who he considers the ideal didn't do heroing for free and licenced out his likeness for endless products.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation

Oxxidation posted:

from what i understand a not-insignificant part of the fandom wants him to replace mineta

purple for purple

I'm tired of this sexual pervert. Get him out of here and replace him with (checking every character ever introduced) ah the morally suspect guy with mind control powers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Stain's big issue is that calling the job "hero" cheapens the meaning of the word, which it does.

If they called it anything else I imagine he would have probably not went nuts. Really it is kind of a poor word for the job since heroism generally implies extraordinary action from people who don't do that sort of thing for no expected profit.

I'd call what MHA heroes do "peacekeeper" myself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Stain's big issue is that calling the job "hero" cheapens the meaning of the word, which it does.

If they called it anything else I imagine he would have probably not went nuts.

he'd probably still be disemboweling pickpockets and so on

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

e: though come to think of it knuckle duster could probably solo at least half of the league of villains, assuming he knew their quirks beforehand

That was my point though. Stain is a complete nut job and Vigilantes does an excellent job highlighting that fact, but losing to Knuckleduster isn't really a slight against him.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Matt Lindland posted:

I'm tired of this sexual pervert. Get him out of here and replace him with (checking every character ever introduced) ah the morally suspect guy with mind control powers.

what about shinsou is morally suspect aside from having mind powers

like his entire thing was about how people treat him as morally suspect because he has mind powers and he's struggling to rise past that

EDIT: also i think the only other character in the whole comic that could move into a hypothetical spot in the class is Gentle getting his Hero GED

Patware fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 22, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Patware posted:

it's the haircut

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

it's the haircut

well

fair

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Obviously the morally responsible thing to do would be to never use his Quirk at all, since it's a direct violation of what should be a basic human right.
:goonsay:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Patware posted:

like his entire thing was about how people treat him as morally suspect because he has mind powers and he's struggling to rise past that

EDIT: also i think the only other character in the whole comic that could move into a hypothetical spot in the class is Gentle getting his Hero GED

Gentle having to sit in the back of the class in order to get his GED and working with the extra study group would be amazing .

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Oxxidation posted:

it's the haircut

It looks like Eraserhead's hair when he actives his powers.

Radish posted:

Gentle having to sit in the back of the class in order to get his GED and working with the extra study group would be amazing .

"Hello fellow young heroes."

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 22, 2018

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Patware posted:

his absurdly deep voice

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rhonne posted:

It looks like Eraserhead's hair when he actives his powers.

"Hello fellow young heroes."

He could simultaneously bond with Momo over bougie tea blends while also debating with Urarawa how best to save money by eating weeds you find in the wild.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Shinsou's quirk could be hilariously effective at hero work considering we don't have many defined limits to it. I'm imagining him just sitting in a call center going down a list of criminals' phone numbers and asking them questions and commanding them to turn themselves in.

Shinsou: "Hello, I've got one large anchovy pizza incoming for Hugh Mungus, is that you?"
Shigaraki: "I didn't order any... hey wait what why am I in jail now?!"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Shinsou's quirk could be hilariously effective at hero work considering we don't have many defined limits to it. I'm imagining him just sitting in a call center going down a list of criminals' phone numbers and asking them questions and commanding them to turn themselves in.

Shinsou: "Hello, I've got one large anchovy pizza incoming for Hugh Mungus, is that you?"
Shigaraki: "I didn't order any... hey wait what why am I in jail now?!"

I assume Shigaraki doesn’t publicly give out his phone number.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I assume Shigaraki doesn’t publicly give out his phone number.

he probably holds his phone all daintily between two fingers like L

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Oxxidation posted:

he probably holds his phone all daintily between two fingers like L

Hold on I'm gonna put you on speaker *sets a spare hand on the table with the phone in it*

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Momo and Shinsou have absurdly powerful quirks that are only limited by how much Horikoshi wants to use them and that's why they'll never have much focus.

It is also funny that Momo is restricted by the capitalist class from interfering with the economy because she and her descendants would theoretically be the beginning of a post-scarcity society.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, so long as continuous use doesn't harm her.

Momo is pretty limited since it requires very complex knowledge to make stuff. The most practical stuff is all grenades, nets, melee weapons, and guns. Batman level "anti-thing" gadgets and items would require a lot more prep and learning.

Hopefully loaded with less than lethal ammo. Momo should just figure out how to make pistols with rubber/gel rounds and learn gunkata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Momo could easily just walk around with a gas mask and emit or create grenades filled with gaseous anesthetic and jab people with Ritalin to wake them out of it if she needs to. Chemically speaking those are all simpler to make and require less materials than a wooden broom.